Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 22 Saturday, 22 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Unrelated Things TMBG: 5 cds TMBG: my top 5 albums TMBG: RE: Cover Songs TMBG: RE: 5 cds Non TMBG:High Fidelity Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply -Reply Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply TMBG: 5 Cds TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-21 Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity TMBG: Emmys Re: TMBG: Emmys Non-TMBG: Re:TMBG: Emmys Re: TMBG: Re:No subject given Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Message-Id: Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 23:33:37 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Unrelated Things I think "average age" is misleading here, since you have to take into account the average age of an internet email list using TMBG fan. I'm 34, which means I was listening to "Lincoln" in my early 20's, and I'm sure there were many others back then who are still fans now. Anyway, my 5 alien abduction CD's: TMBG - Lincoln Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Bob Dylan - HIghway 61 Revisited Paul Simon - Graceland Supertramp - Breakfast in America Oh, and like Karin H, I'd have to factor in my kids' ages, so add 9 and 14 to the equation. PZ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000721064053.94540.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Princess Kristy" Subject: TMBG: 5 cds Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 06:40:53 GMT My five cds... I wasn't going to say it for fear you'd hurt me, but... the nields-if you lived here you'd be home now the nields-play the nields-gotta get over greta the nields-bob on the ceiling tmbg-then told ya. And I'm 19... from the looks of it, right smack in the center of y'all! I'm average for once! Love, Kristy The Grand Panjandrum of NAFR All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything "I am the master at giving it all away and now there's nothing left to keep me from crashing. Nothing left for me to take home. Nothing left of me for my own. And all I've ever wanted is to be alone... isn't it a shame, that someone so crazy could go so insane?" ~The Nields ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <9d.86fea7e.26a94ee0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:59:44 EDT Subject: TMBG: my top 5 albums 1 tmbg-factory showroom 2 weezer (self titled) 3 Pixies- death to the pixies 4 Rushmore soundtrack 5 Fountains of Wayne-Utopia parkway damn aliens making me choose only five albums! and i'm 21 too! In a weird side note i can associate every album up there with tmbg (except weezer) Tmbg covered Concrete and clay which is on the rushmore soundtrack. ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: RE: Cover Songs Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:17:31 -0400 Message-ID: It's funny you call it crapster, but you still use it. If its crap don't use it...its not like windows or something that you need. I love the smells like teel spirit mp3...its also on tmbg.net i would also like to see them cover Alison by Elvis Costello... (I think they covered watching the detectives but I am not sure if this is a dream or something.) Sweet Caroline which is a blah song but when i first heard it i thought that diamond sounded like linnell. and what a girl wants Chrissy (the last one isn't serious I ran outta things to say) > After pirating music on Crapster, I found a TMBG Mp3 by the name of Smells > Like Teen Spirit. Hilarious. This got me thinking, what other songs would > you like to see them cover? I was thinking perhaps I am The Walrus by The > Beatles. > --Matt > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > > ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: RE: 5 cds Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:25:01 -0400 Message-ID: I would bring... The Very Best of Elvis Costello and The Attractions. Extreme Honey-Elvis Costello (this way i have a early best of and a late best of) The Best Of Diana Ross and The Supremes Live Through This-Hole Death To the Pixies If i HAD to bring a TMBG disc it would be STD or Misc T i dunno...and It would be instead of the supremes The general age of tmbg fans is hard to say because just as the younger fans get older there is a group of youngins right behind them. I remember a 18+ show for John Linnell though that was virtually empty. maybe like 50 people. I don't know if it was empty cuz it was just him or because it was 18+ and there were a lot of under 18 fans. > My five cds... I wasn't going to say it for fear you'd hurt me, but... > > the nields-if you lived here you'd be home now > the nields-play > the nields-gotta get over greta > the nields-bob on the ceiling > tmbg-then > > told ya. > > And I'm 19... from the looks of it, right smack in the center of y'all! I'm > average for once! > > > Love, Kristy > The Grand Panjandrum of NAFR > > All hail Justin's > Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess > of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything > > "I am the master at giving it all away and now there's nothing left to keep > me from crashing. Nothing left for me to take home. Nothing left of me for > my own. And all I've ever wanted is to be alone... isn't it a shame, that > someone so crazy could go so insane?" > ~The Nields > > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > > ------------------------------ Date: 21 Jul 2000 06:58:28 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247959790ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Non TMBG:High Fidelity I'm not going to torture myself by trying to pick 5 CDs for my alien abuction but this brings up something that I've been wanting to mention. Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? I think anyone that participates in band newsgroups or discussion lists would find it very interesting. Its about a guy that owns a record store and his two geeky co-workers. Throughout the whole movie, they make these top 5 lists (top 5 desert island records, top 5 songs about death, ect.) After I saw it, I was so self conscious that I swore that I'd never post to a discussion group again for fear of seeming like one of those nerds. (I got over it as you can see.) The movie has some kind of love story going on but that's less interesting than all the music obsessiveness.. Its fun to see all the album covers and hear them drop names of bands. I was crossing my fingers for a TMBG reference but no luck. Some other lesser known bands with followings get mentioned though. Its weird to be in a packed theater where the the characters on screen are talking about Stereolab or Belle and Sebastian. Anyway, its a few months old so it should be on video soon. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:23:21 +0100 Subject: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply High Fidelity is a good book (and may even be a good film), but even better than it is his first novel 'Fever Pitch' (which was made into a real turkey of a film apparently). Although it is about growing up in England and supporting Arsenal (an English football team who once were so boring to watch we all hated them as much as we now hate Manchester United ) it is well worth reading. Like High Fidelity there are lots of moments when you recognise yourself and squirm (especially if you are male!) Richard >>> "ggr@wlg.com" 21/July/2000 02:38pm >>> I'm not going to torture myself by trying to pick 5 CDs for my alien abuction but this brings up something that I've been wanting to mention. Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? I think anyone that participates in band newsgroups or discussion lists would find it very interesting. Its about a guy that owns a record store and his two geeky co-workers. Throughout the whole movie, they make these top 5 lists (top 5 desert island records, top 5 songs about death, ect.) After I saw it, I was so self conscious that I swore that I'd never post to a discussion group again for fear of seeming like one of those nerds. (I got over it as you can see.) The movie has some kind of love story going on but that's less interesting than all the music obsessiveness.. Its fun to see all the album covers and hear them drop names of bands. I was crossing my fingers for a TMBG reference but no luck. Some other lesser known bands with followings get mentioned though. Its weird to be in a packed theater where the the characters on screen are talking about Stereolab or Belle and Sebastian. Anyway, its a few months old so it should be on video soon. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:27:57 EDT Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply > I'm not going to torture myself by trying to pick 5 CDs for my > >alien abuction but this brings up something that I've been wanting > >to mention. Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? i can't pick five, but i'll pick one at random... the _velvet goldmine_ soundtrack. high fidelity? yes, i love it. it was excellent. and it'll be out on video next month. sarah http://brazen.org/starcookie "sounds like a cheese product... 'helvetica'." - dave letterman ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:42:21 +0100 Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply -Reply Out on Video next month!! I'm entering a competition being run to promote the opening at the pictures here! Richard >to mention. Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? high fidelity? yes, i love it. it was excellent. and it'll be out on video next month. sarah http://brazen.org/starcookie "sounds like a cheese product... 'helvetica'." - dave letterman ------------------------------ Date: 21 Jul 2000 08:19:44 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247954914ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: >high fidelity? yes, i love it. it was excellent. and it'll be out on video >next month. As a mix tape junkie, I really liked the scene where he discusses his rules for a good mix tape. Also there's a lot of arguing about aspects of songs that most people would consider trivial. I couldn't stop thinking about the lists I'm on while I was watching it. I gotta see it again when it hits video. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <42.8791656.26a9c422@aol.com> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:20:02 EDT Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity -Reply In a message dated 7/21/00 10:16:11 AM, ggr@wlg.com writes: > As a mix tape junkie, I really liked the scene where he discusses his >rules for a good mix tape. Also there's a lot of arguing about aspects >of songs that most people would consider trivial. I couldn't stop thinking >about the lists I'm on while I was watching it. I gotta see it again when >it hits video. > exactly. when he was talking about his rules, like hooking them with a catchy song, i was like.. "YEAH!" fellow mix-tape-head, sarah http://brazen.org/starcookie "sounds like a cheese product... 'helvetica'." - dave letterman ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002001bff32a$7f1323c0$353a40d8@ccampbell> From: "Chris Campbell" Subject: TMBG: 5 Cds Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:44:00 -0400 My 5 cds: TMBG:John Henrey Moxy Fruvous: Live Noise (MF is coming to Portland Maine!!!!!) TMBG: Lincoln Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band (mebbe Abby Road instead) Moxy Fruvous: Thornhill My age: Just turn 16:-) (Hint:Stay off the streets of northern New England!) -Chris "Feeny" Campbell (and yes, I'm single!) "He Say 'One and One and One is Three,' got to be good looking 'cause he's so hard to see" -Come Togeather, The Beatles. Feeny@tmbg.org http://w3.to/tmbg ICQ: 22373843 AIM: Chriscam84 (207)-727-6439 ------------------------------ From: MDthief@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:06:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-21 Hey, this is my first post... yay!!! I think that if i had to take five CD's... though i'd try to bargain to take more, i'd have to take: 1. TMBG - Flood (hey, i love it) 2. Tori Amos - From the Choir Girl Hotel 3. The Immortal Beloved Soundtrack (Beethoven) 4. The Phantom of the Opera (I know, i know, double CD... too bad) 5. NIN - The Downward Spiral I know that's a lot of different stuff, but hey, i'd need all five (well, six) of them to survive! ~The Queen of Gish~ by the way... i'm 17, i'll be 18 in November (finally) :) ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:13:46 -0400 Message-ID: The whole book is a elvis costello reference...but it a lot of it was taken out in the movie. > ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <4c.886fadd.26a9d7cd@aol.com> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:43:57 EDT Subject: TMBG: Emmys Emmy nominees were announced, and Malcolm has three, best Guest Actress (Bea Arthur) and Best Writing and Best Direction, both for the pilot. Our Johns were pitifully neglected, despite the fact that they should own the "best theme" category. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:21:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Emmys The lady who plays the mom was also nominated. It was for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. More useless factoids courtesy of Jon. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007219642.AA964204813@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:40:11 -0400 Subject: Non-TMBG: Re:TMBG: Emmys The mention of the Emmys has motivated me to do a little cross-list pollination here: A film up for "best documentary" is Paradise Lost II: Return to Robin Hood Hills, a follow-up to a documentary done about three years ago on the subject of the blatant failure of American justice in the arrest and conviction of three Arkansas teens in the murder of three first graders, based solely on religious frenzy and cult hysteria. The two films are great, if unsettling looks at the hypocrisy, intolerance and herd mentality that exist in our society even now, centuries after the Salem witch trials. I don't mean to usurp the List for a preach-a-thon, but I thought that the intelligent, insightful, (dare I say cynical?) minds on this List would be interested. The films were HBO specials in like 96 and 99 or so, and are going to be re-released in theaters later this summer. There is also the obligatory web site: www.wm3.org, run by some folks who either worked on or were inspired by the films to try and get the American justice system to work. Unless you have your heart set on believing that good always triumphs over evil, I suggest you check it out, and look for the films, either on HBO or in theaters. And now, I'll climb down off my soapbox and return the list to its rightful subject. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Emmys Author: Date: 07/21/00 12:43 PM Emmy nominees were announced, and Malcolm has three, best Guest Actress (Bea Arthur) and Best Writing and Best Direction, both for the pilot. Our Johns were pitifully neglected, despite the fact that they should own the "best theme" category. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000722012825.47406.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:No subject given Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:28:25 PDT >The average age in my immediate family is 26, but that includes a 43 y/o, a >19 >y/o, & a 16 y/o. Which one is me will be revealed by my 5 CD choices: > >1. A privately burnt CD of my very favoritest TMBG tracks (cop out, sorry, >no >way I could choose one, and they all have a couple tracks I could live >without)(but all the CDs the tracks are burnt from are bought & paid for!) >2. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs >3. Dvorak - 9th Symphony (New World) >4. Neil Young - Harvest >5. Type O Negative - October Rust > Not to go off a rant reminscent of last week's "Car thieves are people too" speech, but I CAN'T tell which age you are by your choices. Age-specific bands are almost nonexistant now. People of all ages listen to all kinds of music. As for me, following my own rule that you can only bring one CD of any artist... 1. TMBG - John Henry 2. Lou Reed - Transformer 3. Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane Over the Sea 4. XTC - Upsy Daisy Assortment 5. John Linnell - State Songs ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000722015753.15610.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:57:53 PDT I thought it was a really fantastic movie. No TMBG, but Ween was brought up at one point and Velvet Underground, who I think Linnell once called the greatest band of all time, was the only band to have more than one song in the movie, I believe, and both made the soundtrack. There were 75 musical cues total in the movie. Anyways, just to further reccomend it, it's really just a good movie about good music. There's even instructions on how to make the perfect compilation album. Well, some instructions. So...check it out. I always feel bad about making irrelevant posts, so...speaking of movies, has anyone seen the movie Feed? They mentioned it in a chat somewhere when someone asked for their favorite movies. It's apparently a documentary on those times when satellites pick up material from live recordings when the camera isn't on. Various political figures saying naughty things while waiting to be introduced and what not. It's hard to find, and the few reviews I saw weren't very good, but if it's really Their favorite movie, then hey. >From: Bongo >Reply-To: Bongo >To: >Subject: Non TMBG:High Fidelity >Date: 21 Jul 2000 06:58:28 -0800 > > > I'm not going to torture myself by trying to pick 5 CDs for my alien >abuction but this brings up something that I've been wanting to mention. >Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? I think anyone that participates in >band newsgroups or discussion lists would find it very interesting. Its >about a guy that owns a record store and his two geeky co-workers. >Throughout the whole movie, they make these top 5 lists (top 5 desert >island records, top 5 songs about death, ect.) After I saw it, I was so >self conscious that I swore that I'd never post to a discussion group again >for fear of seeming like one of those nerds. (I got over it as you can >see.) > > The movie has some kind of love story going on but that's less >interesting than all the music obsessiveness.. Its fun to see all the album >covers and hear them drop names of bands. I was crossing my fingers for a >TMBG reference but no luck. Some other lesser known bands with followings >get mentioned though. Its weird to be in a packed theater where the the >characters on screen are talking about Stereolab or Belle and Sebastian. >Anyway, its a few months old so it should be on video soon. > >-B O N G O > > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-22 ******************************