Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 23 Sunday, 23 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-22 TMBG: Re: High Fidelity Re: TMBG: Re: High Fidelity TMBG: Re: Aliens! TMBG: Kids' Sampler TMBG: Re: Alien CD Lists TMBG: Re:High Fidelity TMBG: uhhh Re: TMBG: Re: High Fidelity TMBG: Re: TMBG: Free Mini Pops! If they were a joke, it wouldn't be funny! TMBG: Re: Free Mini Pops! If they were a joke, it wouldn't be funny! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ASRTrain@aol.com Message-ID: <43.7db3ad9.26aa9923@aol.com> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:28:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-22 I think I posted once a long time ago....and now again. Let the fun begin. What I think I would bring, if I would ever get abducted, (and I have been...many times in fact) are the following: (you can kill me later) 1. Boy Sets Fire - After The Eulogy 2. Baking Horselies (my band) - Don't Ask (yet to be released...but soon!) 3. Boy Sets Fire - In Chrysalis 4. Suicide Machines - Destruction By Definition 5. Papa Roach - Infest Now...the question is...do the aliens have a CD player? And if so, will they let me use it? If not, will I have to bring my own? This whole abduction thing is way too confusing for me. As you're looking through my list of my top 5...you will notice there is no TMBG. "Why?", you ask. Well, TMBG is great and all, but I had to cut them out to put my band in. I always come first. -Ryan z::GOANS::z ------------------------------ From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:30:41 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: High Fidelity >Bongo sez... >Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? (etc) rhilton sez... >High Fidelity is a good book (and may even be a good film), but >even better than it is his first novel 'Fever Pitch' (which was made >into a real turkey of a film apparently). I just read "About a Boy", which is his latest novel, and overall I liked it even better than 'High Fidelity'. I'm hoping when/if it becomes a film, it will be done justice. The film version of HF worked really well, I thought, even if Cusack and Co. took a risk moving it from London to Chicago. The important elements are universal though: how a great pop song can affect your life, obsessive list making (and compilation tape making), and music in general as a motivating force. You make an excellent point about seeing parts of yourself in it, definitely if you're male. The book and film both emphasize that this obsessive analysis of music is much more a "guy thing" than a "girl thing". As a guy, I have always found this to be true in my life, but I wonder if the (many) female TMBG fans on the list could comment? Don't most women find it silly to make Top 5 lists and spend countless hours talking about whether one album is better than another? ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <35.7d2964f.26aaa4a8@aol.com> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 03:18:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: High Fidelity > Don't most women find it silly to make Top 5 lists and > spend countless hours talking about whether one album is better than > another? Yes, but that's not to say I'm not a silly person :) Lydia Silly. Since 1837. ------------------------------ From: csxt4290@wapsmail.com Message-Id: Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:56:26 -0500 (CDT) Subject: TMBG: Re: Aliens! > Whaz wrong with flood? > > anyway, how about this, I burn my fav's onto a single > CD and take that, and in place of 4 CD's > take my CD player so I can actually play it!! :) > > > > > If I were abducted by (friendly) aliens, I'd bring the following 5 C.D.s > > - > > > > They Might Be Giants: Flood (I know, I know.) > > Jim's Big Ego: More Songs About Me > > 12Rods: Separation Anxieties > > Soul Coughing: Irresistable Bliss > > Geggy Tah: Sacred Cow ----------------------------- I NEED $6000.00! PLEASE HELP! **--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--** Steve McMullen Akron,Ohio AOL IM: "CSX 4290" My Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/csx4290 <---<< ************************************************************ $$$$$$$$ I AM PAID TO SURF THE NET!! ARE YOU???? $$$$$$$$ +----------------------------------------------------------+ | Is That Your Final Answer???? | +----------------------------------------------------------+ It's Time to Take Advantage of the Internet. Get PAID! Join AllAdvantage.com at: http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=LGZ-102 ********************************************************** .................................... Get your own free email account from http://www.wapsfm.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001001bff3c5$d57cdc60$9e043c3e@default> From: "alanhooper" Subject: TMBG: Kids' Sampler Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:15:58 +0100 Hi, A week ago I mentioned that I ordered a cd from Esprit http://eil.com called Kids. I sort of guessed it wouldn't be the No album, but I was intrested anyway. So I paid #40 for Istanbul (flood version) Particle man Why does the sun shine (slow version) James K. Polk (not the album version, I forgot what album it's on... Factory showroom?) Mammal South Carolina (It seems to be mixed slightly different to state songs but is basically the same) Meet James Ensor Cow Town Dinner Bell Number 3 Shoehorn with Teeth Mr. me For Science. Operator Dot (I think that's your name) asked for the track listing, but I've lost your addressed. It is a white labelled Disc. Al - Thinking about a music lifestyle. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bff3e5$fc6fa9e0$90640818@brln1.ct.home.com> From: "Casey Schreiner" Subject: TMBG: Re: Alien CD Lists Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:06:07 -0400 Organization: Boston University Well, I got back from vacation just in time to do one of those fun CD list things, which I actually kind of had to do on vacation, only with 12 instead of 5. Here they are. 1. They Might Be Giants: Factory Showroom 2. Belle And Sebastian: If You're Feeling Sinister 3. David Byrne: Uh-Oh 4. Bis: Social Dancing 5. Bjork: Homogenic There. I think that's a nice slice of my musical taste, if I do say so myself... and I do. By the way, I'm 19, for whomever's counting -Casey ------------------------------ From: "R Shannon" Subject: TMBG: Re:High Fidelity Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:33:57 GMT Message-ID: I highly recommend that people read the book _High Fidelity_ by Nick Hornby. It's really excellent. Also, there are many things that were changed when making the movie (from what I've seen of the previews). (Sadly the movie isn't out here in England yet.) -R. S. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000722164655.7396.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Princess Kristy" Subject: TMBG: uhhh Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 16:46:55 GMT If we were only allowed to bring one cd by any artist, I would only *have* three bands to choose from, b/c I only listen to The Nields, Moxy Fruvous, and TMBG. Damn close-minded music listeners.... Love, Kristy The Grand Panjandrum of NAFR All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything "I am the master at giving it all away and now there's nothing left to keep me from crashing. Nothing left for me to take home. Nothing left of me for my own. And all I've ever wanted is to be alone... isn't it a shame, that someone so crazy could go so insane?" ~The Nields ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00de01bff3fe$8dcb0ac0$951a99ce@aah1084access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: High Fidelity Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:01:58 -0400 pzickler wondered: >Don't most women find it silly to make Top 5 lists and >spend countless hours talking about whether one album is better than >another? I dunno about most women, but I don't. I have, however, gotten a little caught up in rating my favorite movies, because my bf and his friend OBSESS about their favorite movie, screenplay, actor, actress, and then they go by year, or decade or whatever. My only problem is that I'll start making a list then halfway through I'll remember something else and have to start over. Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Furfr@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:22:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: The average needs to be brought up a little bit, so first I'm 28. So while some of you remember your first exposure to tmbg being from Tiny Toons, mine was Birdhouse in Your Soul on MTV. At the time, I didn't go crazy, as I was still confusing that with a Midnight Oil video (don't even ask). And I thought I liked REM's Stand better. Obsession came later. :) Soooo, here's the list: TMBG: John Henry Erasure: I Say I Say I Say John Linnell: State Songs Les Miserables The Hunchback of Notre Dame soundtrack (Disney...yes, I'm serious) Oh great, I left REM's Automatic for the People behind. I might have to go back and get it. :) petula ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (ASTROGIMP) Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:19:42 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Free Mini Pops! If they were a joke, it wouldn't be funny! Message-ID: <22499-397A1DFE-3626@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-15945-1897 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Be there or be triangular! P.S. - There are no mini pops. It's a band. Go there anyway. And don't worry, 'cause if you think you're disappointed now, just wait until you see the webpage! --WebTV-Mail-15945-1897 X-URL-Title: Free Mini Pops! Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit http://community-2.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/FreeMiniPops/ --WebTV-Mail-15945-1897-- ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (ASTROGIMP) Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:26:50 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Re: Free Mini Pops! If they were a joke, it wouldn't be funny! Message-ID: <22496-397A1FAA-7790@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-3818-4030 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit I understand that the link to the previously mentioned website may not have shown up for everyone, which is why I'm now sending just the URL. So... check it out! http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/FreeMiniPops Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) --WebTV-Mail-3818-4030 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-101-7.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.41) by storefull-245.iap.bryant.webtv.net with WTV-SMTP; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:20:18 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [208.185.25.40]) by mailsorter-101-7.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8-wtv-f/ms.dwm.v7+dul2) with ESMTP id PAA25676 for ; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:20:17 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id SAA23481; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:19:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:19:45 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id SAA23460 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:19:45 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mailsorter-105-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net (mailsorter-105-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net [209.240.198.119]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id SAA23449 for ; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:19:44 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from GhostKrabb@webtv.net) Received: from storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net (storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net [209.240.199.109]) by mailsorter-105-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net (WebTV_Postfix) with ESMTP id 388574541; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:19:43 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from production@localhost) by storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8-wtv-e/mt.gso.26Feb98) id PAA29482; Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:19:43 -0700 (PDT) X-WebTV-Signature: 1 ETAtAhUAxK4QJ3r0uMcVZWGwQEWTazkNOroCFGPuhzweYkswBq2n59BGOjxjWBEG From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (ASTROGIMP) Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:19:42 -0700 (PDT) To: 12rods@onelist.com, actress_cutie@hotmail.com, Squish1@Jetlink.net (Marilyn Prince), Bowler8500@aol.com (Ben Reha), GrieverKnight2@aol.com, rmiller@theriver.com, erQ@onelist.com (Ed's Redeeming Qualities), geggytah@onelist.com, getaWAYpeoplE@onelist.com, p.sluff@juno.com, papertrained@hotmail.com (Jean Wagner), mattk311@hotmail.com, study_guy@hotmail.com Cc: guster-fan2fan@live.isentertainment.com, drgreat_2000@yahoo.com, bigego@onelist.com (Jim's Big Ego), Shantie335@aol.com, micheLLe@onelist.com (Michelle's List), mUNKYDUSt@Egroups.com (MunkyDust), nerFherDeR@onelist.com (Nerf Herder), PurPlerain@onelist.com, TMBGofftopic@onelist.com, angel0baby@yahoo.com, sarina.hyder2@gte.net, suprageniuses@Egroups.com, MaryExtchr@cs.com, TMBG@onelist.com (They Might Be Giants), tmbg-list@tmbg.org (They Might Be Giants) Subject: TMBG: Free Mini Pops! If they were a joke, it wouldn't be funny! Message-ID: <22499-397A1DFE-3626@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Multipart/Mixed; Boundary=WebTV-Mail-15945-1897 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit MIME-Version: 1.0 (WebTV) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (ASTROGIMP) --WebTV-Mail-15945-1897 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Be there or be triangular! P.S. - There are no mini pops. It's a band. Go there anyway. And don't worry, 'cause if you think you're disappointed now, just wait until you see the webpage! --WebTV-Mail-15945-1897 X-URL-Title: Free Mini Pops! Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit http://community-2.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/FreeMiniPops/ --WebTV-Mail-15945-1897-- --WebTV-Mail-3818-4030-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-23 ******************************