Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 25 Tuesday, 25 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: the age average?? TMBG: Desert Island TMBG: The whole age thing... Re:TMBG: Re: the age average?? TMBG: Re: Desert Island sRe: TMBG: WUTFM (playing CDs in winamp) TMBG: 5 Alien Abduction Albums TMBG: Turtle Neck Soup Re:TMBG: 5 Alien Abduction Albums TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 Re: TMBG: Re: the age average?? TMBG: Re: Kids' Sampler Re: TMBG: tmbg? POPULAR?? TMBG: Re: Re: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000724061608.33273.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Re: the age average?? Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:16:08 EST I'm going to work out the average soon so have you all put your age's in?? I have to say it will be fairly incorrect because there has to be more fans than just us out there. If you dont want to put your age out there for all to see feel free to e-mail me personally. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM {who has walked this earth for 17 years...} "This is where the party ends. I can't stand here listening to you and your racist friend" TMBG. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-Id: <200007241306.JAA75301@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:06:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: Desert Island Hello 41- Well, no one is in the office yet, so here come the desert island discs. I am pretty sure that lists like this have been compiled before, but mine usually change, so more lists please. In no particular order... #1 - TMBG - Then: The Earlier Years #2 - Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom #3 - Henry Rollins - Get in The Van #4 - Ween - God, Ween, Satan: The Oneness #5 - Chemical Brothers - Brothers Gonna Work It Out Really close to making the list would be the Funhouse album by the Stooges. Mike Watt did a live gig this weekend with J. Mascius (sp?) and some drummer and did only Stooges songs. Quite rockin'. ~Adam I might be Giants too. ------------------------------ From: "The Bastard Snowman" Subject: TMBG: The whole age thing... Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:31:17 -0600 Message-ID: I turned 21 in June. Add that little tidbit to the list. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my webpage, recently updated, no less... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ And a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/tf/ Incidentally, if you try to connect to the MUSH, and have no clue what you're doing (i.e. you've never MUSHed before), send me an email so's I can help ya out. ;0) ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007249644.AA964445975@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:39:31 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: the age average?? I am the Answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything.... plus one. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:11:06 +0200 From: "Lior Gallimidi" Message-ID: <8lhisg$2bgb$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Desert Island Here is my selection 1 - TMBG - Then: The Earlier Years 2 - Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 3 - Moxy Fruvous: Live Noise 4 - Paul Simon - Graceland 5 - John Linnell: State Songs I'm 17, make of it what you will. -- ~Lior -------- "man, it's so messed up. The streets are filled with people fighting, and they're all on fire." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <397BB608.251EA0CB@comnetcom.net> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:20:40 -0500 From: Casey Kolderup Organization: Palindrome, Inc Subject: sRe: TMBG: WUTFM (playing CDs in winamp) Regarding the thread from a week or two ago (I was on vacation) about how it tends to blend tracks together at the end of a song and beginning of a new one: that's an effect of Winamp's decoding options. To fix it, mess around in the CD decoder plugin's options in your preferences menu until it doesn't do it any more (I don't remember how I did it exactly ;P) It's not a "problem" with the CD or winamp, it's supposed to be a "cool feature" but I find it pretty annoying. - c a s e y k o l d e r u p - z o r k b o y @ t m b g . o r g - S K E E E - B L O O O R T ! - ------------------------------ Message-ID: <397C5B01.DF281DBF@st.com> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:04:33 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: 5 Alien Abduction Albums Hello tmbg-listers! Greetings from Russ, the TMBG Video Bootlegger. (See my page at http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg.htm if you don't know what that means.) I can't stand having to choose only 5 albums--because I have hundreds of records, tapes and CDs and like all kinds of music, but I thought I'd plug some of my all-time favorites. And I'll probably forget several candidates. I'm not choosing any "greatest hits" albums, as that would be cheating. Just albums where the whole original thing is a masterwork. Billy Joel "Turnstiles" - His best, rocking-est album, despite the commercial success of "The Stranger" or "52nd St". He produced this one himself. Steely Dan "Katy Lied" - My favorite SD album hands down. (And I never really liked "Gaucho" very much.) The B-52s "Good Stuff" - The title track hooked me on the B-52s. Every song on this album cooks hot. Howard Jones "People" - His latest album is the best one he's ever written! "We make the weather" is my favorite song from it. Spandau Ballet "True" I don't care how many radio plays the title cut received, every song on this album still makes me want to sing along. Runner-ups: Joe Jackson "I'm The Man" Beethoven "Symphony No. 9" Loggins & Messina "Motherlode" America "Homecoming" The Beatles "Abbey Road" Dan Fogelberg "Netherlands" They Might Be Giants "Lincoln" Alan Parsons "Tales of Mystery & Imagination" R.E.M. "Murmur" Thompson Twins "Here's To Future Days" Tonio K "Life in the foodchain" Frank Zappa "Lumpy Gravy/We're Only In It For The Money" (both phases) Seals & Crofts "Diamond Girl" Christine Lavin "Live at the Cactus Cafe" The Who "Quadrophenia" Voice of the Beehive "Sex & Misery" Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick" ABC "The Lexicon of Love" Billy Bragg "Don't Try This At Home John Denver "Rocky Mountain High" Handel "Messiah" The Eagles "Desperado" Elton John "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" Pink Floyd "Meddle" I _told_ you it would be hard to choose! At least most kidnappers allow you to choose 10 "desert island discs". ;) Oh and I'm 42 years old -- can't you tell ? I'll wager that some of the younger list-members have never heard of many of these artists. Well, everyone has heard of The Beatles. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: 24 Jul 2000 08:17:39 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247695839ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Turtle Neck Soup I watched Direct From Brooklyn again last night and it turns out that I was wrong about how often Linnell wears turtle necks in their videos. He wears them in about 3/4 of them. In fact in the Tiny Tunes video, even the Plucky Duck Linnell is wearing one. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007249644.AA964454619@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:03:35 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: 5 Alien Abduction Albums Towards the end of this, Russ says: >Oh and I'm 42 years old -- can't you tell ?< Aha, I could! I'm not being ageist (??) or anything here, but to respond to John Ferrer's statement that "age-specific music is almost nonexistant now", you can usually tell a lot from what someone listens to. It's not that young people only listen to new stuff, & old people only listen to old stuff (well, that's true with Really old people, like my mother, but not with just sorta old people, like me!!!) It's just that someone who listens to a wide variety of stuff is less likely to be in the same demographic group as a bunch of people who all listen to similar stuff. So you can deduce. Like if someone responded with 5 CDs by Glenn Miller, Sinatra, Woody Guthrie, Mel Torme,and Radiohead. It's all stuff people of any age could appreciate, but the chances of a 60 year old having heard of Radiohead are greater than of a 19 year old being a big Velvet Fog fan. It's not a good/bad thing, it's just how it's likely to be. But maybe demographics are only noticeable to people in that demographic group. Sure, there are 22 year old Tom Waits fans, but in conjunction with Neil Young, even without the Dvorak, it just positively Screams "43!!" to me. Course, I could just be totally scwewy. Stranger things have happened..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: 5 Alien Abduction Albums Author: Russ Josephson Date: 07/24/00 9:04 AM Hello tmbg-listers! Greetings from Russ, the TMBG Video Bootlegger. (See my page at http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg.htm if you don't know what that means.) I can't stand having to choose only 5 albums--because I have hundreds of records, tapes and CDs and like all kinds of music, but I thought I'd plug some of my all-time favorites. And I'll probably forget several candidates. I'm not choosing any "greatest hits" albums, as that would be cheating. Just albums where the whole original thing is a masterwork. Billy Joel "Turnstiles" - His best, rocking-est album, despite the commercial success of "The Stranger" or "52nd St". He produced this one himself. Steely Dan "Katy Lied" - My favorite SD album hands down. (And I never really liked "Gaucho" very much.) The B-52s "Good Stuff" - The title track hooked me on the B-52s. Every song on this album cooks hot. Howard Jones "People" - His latest album is the best one he's ever written! "We make the weather" is my favorite song from it. Spandau Ballet "True" I don't care how many radio plays the title cut received, every song on this album still makes me want to sing along. Runner-ups: Joe Jackson "I'm The Man" Beethoven "Symphony No. 9" Loggins & Messina "Motherlode" America "Homecoming" The Beatles "Abbey Road" Dan Fogelberg "Netherlands" They Might Be Giants "Lincoln" Alan Parsons "Tales of Mystery & Imagination" R.E.M. "Murmur" Thompson Twins "Here's To Future Days" Tonio K "Life in the foodchain" Frank Zappa "Lumpy Gravy/We're Only In It For The Money" (both phases) Seals & Crofts "Diamond Girl" Christine Lavin "Live at the Cactus Cafe" The Who "Quadrophenia" Voice of the Beehive "Sex & Misery" Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick" ABC "The Lexicon of Love" Billy Bragg "Don't Try This At Home John Denver "Rocky Mountain High" Handel "Messiah" The Eagles "Desperado" Elton John "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" Pink Floyd "Meddle" I _told_ you it would be hard to choose! At least most kidnappers allow you to choose 10 "desert island discs". ;) Oh and I'm 42 years old -- can't you tell ? I'll wager that some of the younger list-members have never heard of many of these artists. Well, everyone has heard of The Beatles. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:10:21 +1000 From: "Crystal Lee Cooper" Message-ID: <8lhpau$2etu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 I agree! Bring on the pointless lists and debates! My twin sister and I have also spent countless hours debating music (these lists are always good areas for arguments - I hate her music and she hates mine), and politics (we're in agreement here that John Howard goes at the bottom of the list), and the future of the Star Wars universe (taking into consideration all of the continuity problems in the novels, which is confusing). Really though, most people of both sexes find it pointless to talk about lists of albums you'd take if an alien was abducting you [1]. So I think maybe it isn't a male or female thing, but more of a geek thing. Well, that's just my two cents, anyway. They're quite worthless because they're Australian cents, but I'll pretend our dollar's trading at a higher figure than it actually is and therefore increase the value of my opinion... or whatever. It's two in the morning and I'm rather tired, so I think I'll stop trying to catch up on six weeks of unread e-mails and go to sleep. [1] Mine would be: Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise Belle and Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant Marcy Playground - self titled Ben Folds Five - self titled Ani DiFranco - Living In Clip (I know it's 2 CD's and I'm cheating) --- Crystal Lee Cooper DrPyser@tmbg.org http://fly.to/drpyser "Attempted murder! Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry, do they?" - Sideshow Bob --- ------------------------------ Date: 24 Jul 2000 13:50:08 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247675890ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 Crystal Lee Cooper wrote: >Really though, most people of both sexes find it pointless to talk about >lists of albums you'd take if an alien was abducting you [1]. So I think >maybe it isn't a male or female thing, but more of a geek thing. The only reason I would find it pointless is because I could never narrow it down to five CDs. And why is it a "geek thing"? If we were discussing football down to the trivial details (as many people do) would that be perceived as geeky? -B O N G ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:54:29 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8liaaa$2o1u$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-23 > The only reason I would find it pointless is because I could never narrow it down to five CDs. And why is it a "geek thing"? If we were discussing football down to the trivial details (as many people do) would that be perceived as geeky? Yeah, I think that would make you a football geek. But what is a geek? In response to being called a nerd, Linnell once said, "We're not nerds; I don't even know what that means. I think it's a word people use to describe something they don't get. They're not even putting their toe into it, so they try to come up with the most simple-minded explanation. It means nothing." I think the same could be said of the word "geek." Unless you're refering to the circus performer type of geek, which really has nothing to do with football, top 5 lists and alien abductions. ------------------------------ From: Mbrosendale@cs.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:33:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: the age average?? I thought I'd help up the average a bit by putting in my 37 years - I'm one of the very few folks here who remembers some of the twisted names and events from Purple Toupee! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:44:08 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <8lin2v$2ts0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Kids' Sampler alanhooper wrote in message news:001001bff3c5$d57cdc60$9e043c3e@default... > Hi, > A week ago I mentioned that I ordered a cd from Esprit http://eil.com > called Kids. I sort of guessed it wouldn't be the No album, but I was > intrested anyway. So I paid #40 for > Istanbul (flood version) > Particle man > Why does the sun shine (slow version) > James K. Polk (not the album version, I forgot what album it's on... > Factory showroom?) > Mammal > South Carolina (It seems to be mixed slightly different to state songs but > is basically the same) > Meet James Ensor > Cow Town > Dinner Bell > Number 3 > Shoehorn with Teeth > Mr. me > For Science. That's really a ripoff. Not only is is just a bad comp of their songs (Shoehorn with Teeth with the 'returning to the womb' line being the most glaring example), but they didn't put 'Number 3' as the 3rd track! As for the South Carolina Track, I'm guessing it was taken from the Hello CD, and of course James K. Polk was taken from the Istanbul single. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:14:21 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8lipju$2v1k$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg? POPULAR?? > > << Right, well, just to start a new topic of discussion, what are the worst > > things the Johns could do to sell out for easy media attention? Send in your > > wacky, off-the-wall suggestions! It'll be fuuuuuuuuuuuuu......n! >> > -Do a song with the Backstreet Boys for a concert (like Sting did) Backstreet Boys? STEP ON PANSY! > -Perform on the Rosie Odonnel or Martin Short daytime talk shows To tell you the truth, I always wanted them to appear on Rosie O'Donnell and perform "The Biggest One." That should tick off the f***ing Chub Club! > -Cameos in soap operas "I'm the father, an indie rocker who is happily married. Oh, and I'm an alien possessed by the ghost of Warren G. Harding as well." > -Put their names on cans of vienna sausages. That would RULE! Spam too! Polaris, who highly recommends the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "Yup." -Gary Cooper ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:29:59 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8liqh7$2vfi$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: > > If you were being abducted by [friendly] aliens what 5 CDS would you take > > with you?? [ i said that they were nice...] > just *5*?! usually they allow 10. :) > I'd take 5 CDs full of mp3s, of course. :) > > Moxy Fruvous - Wood > They Might Be Giants - John Henry > The Nields - If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now > Guster - Lost and Gone Forever > R.E.M. - Automatic for the People Actually, if you brought Apollo 18, you would have better chances of being friendly with the aliens, as They DO have Ambassadorship. > > Also what is the general age of a Giants fan??? > The New York Giants? The San Francisco Giants? They Might Be Giants? John and John are the REAL New York Giants. 'Nuff said, as they say. Polaris, who has just recieved word that the game is tied five to five. "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "Yup." -Gary Cooper ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:27:12 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8liqc1$2vc2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? > Yeah, but what does it meeeeeaaaaaaaan??? > -acs > > makebase wrote: > > > > karinh@sterl.com wrote in message > > <0007189639.AA963927247@smtplink.sterl.com>... > > >"makebase" (what is that, anyway? Base like in free...?) sez: > > > > Just some stupid term we use here at work. I originally started using it as > > my Instant Messenger screen name because Shaun3653984658 was already taken. > > > > >We all know that, basie. If you actually thought along those lines, you'd > > be on > > >the 'NSync list, dreaming little dreams of looking like Justin, or Jason, > > or > > >Jesse, or whatever the bleep his name is, and making mad passionate, umm, > > music > > >with BS (great initials, though, huh??!??). Or vice versa, if you happen > > to be > > >female. It's kinda hard to tell with that screen name.... > > > > I'm male, and yeah, she has the greatest most appropriate set of initials in > > all show business. > > > > >So, safe to say we know humor when we hear it. > > > > I'm glad. Had I made that comment on the newsgroup, I'm sure some hacker > > would have found some way to break into my computer and format my hard drive > > or something. And then would have come the obligatory, "Wait a second, I > > kinda like Britney....I don't get it." Go listees! > > > > >Anyway, back to work. Or something like work.... > > > > Aw, so I'm not the only one... It has many-layered significance. 3653984658 is the VIN for the car driven in (SWA)HD's video. 3653984658 corresponds with the letter sequence CFECIHDFEH. Run that through the CIA systems at Langley, and you get a database of Vietnam veterans(or, if you need it spelled out, men of 'Nam). Run it through the FBI systems, and a week later, Willie Clinton will issue the fervent denial, "I do not deny that egad, a base tone did occur, but it in no way denoted a bad age." And it also happens to be a reversal of the phone number of a flat in Islington where Laura Cantrell went to a smashing party that was foretold in a cold November dream of William Allen White's. That was fun, hee hee hee. Polaris, who farts in your general direction. "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "Yup." -Gary Cooper ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-25 ******************************