Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 26 Wednesday, 26 July 2000 Today's Topics: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? TMBG: Geeks Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: A Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too! Re: Non-TMBG: Sob Story TMBG: Back to Skull Comment TMBG: Another BTS comment... TMBG: Back to Skull and other EP's TMBG: johnlinnell.com, johnflansburgh.com Re: TMBG: johnlinnell.com, johnflansburgh.com TMBG: Re: johnlinnell.com, johnflansburgh.com TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-25 TMBG: Fw: Napster Blues Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG TMBG: TMBG : Very interesting claim by the band Severe Tire Damage Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007259645.AA964532582@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:42:58 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? >>Yeah, but what does it meeeeeaaaaaaaan??? >> -acs >It has many-layered significance. > >3653984658 is the VIN for the car driven in (SWA)HD's >video. 3653984658 corresponds with the letter sequence >CFECIHDFEH. >Run that through the CIA systems at Langley, and you >get a database of Vietnam veterans(or, if you need it >spelled out, men of 'Nam). Run it through the FBI >systems, and a week later, Willie Clinton will issue >the fervent denial, "I do not deny that egad, a base >tone did occur, but it in no way denoted a bad age." >And it also happens to be a reversal of the phone >number of a flat inIslington where Laura Cantrell went >to a smashing party that was foretold in a cold >November dream of William Allen White's. > >That was fun, hee hee hee. Ask a silly question of a screaming loonie..... (btw: that would be "denotes", or your whole cosmic conspiracy thing will take place 3.42 megaparsecs in an almost completely wrong direction, and the worst anyone here will notice will be a slight fuzzing around the edges of the History Channel and a few slimy things floating to the surface of Lake Michigan. Just thought you might want to be prepared.) Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: 25 Jul 2000 07:52:46 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247610932ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Geeks makebase@tmbg.cc wrote: >But what is a geek? In >response to being called a nerd, Linnell once said, "We're not nerds; I >don't even know what that means. I think it's a word people use to describe >something they don't get. They're not even putting their toe into it, so >they try to come up with the most simple-minded explanation. It means >nothing." I think the same could be said of the word "geek." I never heard that quote before. Its great. The thing that bothers me is when reviews of TMBG call them something like "nerd rockers". Compared to the general population, they aren't very nerdy. They're just normal. They might appear that way to some critics because they don't put on that fake badass persona that other bands do. If you don't sneer on your albums covers or videos you're a nerd rocker. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:54:32 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <397DAA28.128EFD5D@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg? POPULAR?? So, this whole conversation stemmed from a question that I asked eh? Hmmmm, the possibilities are endless. karinh@sterl.com wrote: > > >>Yeah, but what does it meeeeeaaaaaaaan??? > >> -acs > > >It has many-layered significance. > > > >3653984658 is the VIN for the car driven in (SWA)HD's >video. 3653984658 > corresponds with the letter sequence >CFECIHDFEH. > >Run that through the CIA systems at Langley, and you >get a database of Vietnam > veterans(or, if you need it >spelled out, men of 'Nam). Run it through the FBI > >systems, and a week later, Willie Clinton will issue >the fervent denial, "I do > not deny that egad, a base >tone did occur, but it in no way denoted a bad age." > >And it also happens to be a reversal of the phone >number of a flat inIslington > where Laura Cantrell went >to a smashing party that was foretold in a cold > >November dream of William Allen White's. > > > >That was fun, hee hee hee. > > Ask a silly question of a screaming loonie..... (btw: that would be "denotes", > or your whole cosmic conspiracy thing will take place 3.42 megaparsecs in an > almost completely wrong direction, and the worst anyone here will notice will be > a slight fuzzing around the edges of the History Channel and a few slimy things > floating to the surface of Lake Michigan. Just thought you might want to be > prepared.) > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000725173215.69068.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Re: Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:32:15 GMT Sam Super Spanger: >It seems to me that every one has gone quiet... Eerie, isn't it? Where have all of my friends gone? I am alone in this dark, dark room, in this dark, dark room, but my love of music is blah blah blah something I haven't listened to that track in a long time. >If you were being abducted by [friendly] aliens what 5 CDS would you take >with you?? [ i said that they were nice...] If they're so nice, then why are they abducting me? And do they even have a CD player? That makes a difference, you know. If they don't have one, I'd probably bring my Then Disc 2, because it's already ruined, and I could use it for a coaster. >Also what is the general age of a Giants fan??? Most Giants fans do not become generals until they are at least forty years old, unless they have accomplished great military feats. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:47:23 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <8lkjfv$nqi$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message <20000717230603.20861.qmail@hotmail.com>... >>and the song at the end was Where is my Mind (by the pixies who >>opened for tmbg) . > >Did the Pixies ever open for TMBG? I thought it was just Frank Black who >did. >-- Sorry for the delayed response. You are correct sir. Frank Black opened for TMBG for most of their tour in, like, 1992 (?). But never did the Pixies open for TMBG. Of course, there are other examples of collaboration between FB and TMBG. Both Johns have described Frank Black (Charles Thompson) as a friend of theirs. Linnell played sax on some of the tracks of FB's self titled album and Flans has directed a few of his videos. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <90.78f3242.26af3046@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:02:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: In a message dated 7/25/00 1:33:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > If they're so nice, then why are they abducting me? And do they even have a > CD player? That makes a difference, you know. If they don't have one, I'd > probably bring my Then Disc 2, because it's already ruined, and I could use > it for a coaster. > Weird. mine is more or less ruined too because I dropped my cd player with it in it and it got really scratched....I wonder if the 2nd disk is just cursed. ~^v^~Amber the Transcendent of The Alterians~^v^~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000725183738.13138.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too! Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:37:38 GMT makebase: >In response to being called a nerd, Linnell once said, "We're not nerds; I >don't even know what that means. It's a yellow animal in _If I Ran the Zoo_, of course! >I think it's a word people use to describe >something they don't get. They're not even putting their toe into it, so >they try to come up with the most simple-minded explanation. It means >nothing." I think the same could be said of the word "geek." Unless you're >refering to the circus performer type of geek, which really has nothing to >do with football, top 5 lists and alien abductions. Well, how many chicken heads have the Johns eaten? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ Perhaps Ozzy Osbourne could be considered "geek rock." ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Message-Id: <200007251852.OAA27241@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:51:25 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Sob Story hey i know this might be a little bit late to add my two cents worth but I haven't been checking my mail alot recently- I've been sitting here reading everything on this mailing list since about June 9th. yeah, my eyes are tired... Anyways, I know EXACTLY how you feel, Jason. Last June I flew in to NYC to visit a bunch of my old college friends( I'm from Miami, and I went to school in Hartford, CT; and my friend was from Weston, CT, which is why I flew in to La Guardia, and this is all besides the point, but anyway..) So we drove from NYC to Weston and when I went to unpack, someone had stolen my CD case from out of my luggage!!!! 90+ CD's stolen! All of my TMBG, Mono Puff, Bing Crosby, Jay and the Americans, The Proclaimers, Fred Schneider, The Pecker Sdtk.(Which kicks ass by the way,) Bad Religion (I had my Suffer sleeve in there along with the actual cd, and it was autographed by two band members!), alot of local band's cds, and alot of other shit that you can't find just a! nywhere. I'm still trying to get a copy of the Proclaimers' single for "I'm on my way." It had a great version of "King of the Road" Anyway, I just thought I'd share in your pain. My collection is slowly but surely starting to grow again and the only good thing to come out of this is that I got to get reacquainted with all of my old cassettes that I hadn't listened to in years!!! (I had no choice, I had nothing else to listen to.)I have reestablished my love for NOFX, Queen, The Beach Boys, The Police, U2, Spin Doctors, Bobby McFerrin, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, etc, etc. Ok that's enough rambling from me; I hope it was legible.... ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Message-Id: <200007252009.QAA29976@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:08:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: Back to Skull Comment It's me again and I was just wondering: What does everyone's copy of Back to Skull look like? Back when I actually had it, I had two copies. One was just called Back to Skull and the other one was called Back to Skull EP. I don't really remember which was which but I think the EP didn't have "Ondine" on it and the other one did. I thought that was pretty weird which was why I bought both. Of course I don't have either now since they stole all my shit but anyway... No, I'm not still bitter about it.... Oh yeah, the same kind of thing happened to me with the S-E-X-X-Y single. I had one copy that only had three songs: The title track, the remix and i think sensurround. The second one (which i thankfully still have, no one stole that one cuz it wasn't in the case) had those three, we've got a world that swings and unforgotten as well. did i just get weird copies of these things or have others noticed this as well? ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Message-Id: <200007252015.QAA30265@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:11:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Another BTS comment... OK all this writing should make up for all these months that i've been a silent observer. But since I'm on the subject, does anybody know of where I can get a copy of Back to Skull for a relatively cheap price? I miss Mrs. Train very, very much... sigh... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Back to Skull and other EP's Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:20:45 -0400 Well I don't know how you feel about eBay, but there's a copy of Back To Skull up right now for $1.00 There are actually quite a few singles up there, you should check it out if you so desire. Amy :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000725213627.5699.qmail@web123.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:36:27 -0700 (PDT) From: Jennifer Morton Subject: TMBG: johnlinnell.com, johnflansburgh.com I've just come from checking these out on a whim. Anyone know the plan for them? http://www.johnlinnell.com http://www.johnflansburgh.com ~Jennifer __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get Yahoo! Mail Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <65.778f6d5.26af6760@aol.com> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:57:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: johnlinnell.com, johnflansburgh.com In a message dated 7/25/00 4:37:10 PM, sullenmoon1@yahoo.com writes: >I've just come from checking these out on a whim. >Anyone know the plan for them? >http://www.johnlinnell.com >http://www.johnflansburgh.com > hm, dunno, but linnell's belongs to someone named becca wolf in colorado, and flans' belongs to someone named "GENNY" (who, incendentally also has www.genny.net which refers you to a geocities page on tim burton. go figure.) internet research is fun! sarah http://brazen.org/starcookie "sounds like a cheese product... 'helvetica'." - dave letterman ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:58:59 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8ll2f6$10up$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: johnlinnell.com, johnflansburgh.com According to Network Solutions, the domains were registered by different people (which seems somewhat evident by visiting the sites), so there probably is no one plan for both. They will probably develop independent of each other. ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Message-Id: <200007252330.TAA36474@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:29:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-25 okay, Now that I am up to date on ALL of my email, I thought I'd post just one more thing before going off into my silent little world again... so, in response to the five album alien question, I am sorry but I cannot be limited to just five, so here are my top like twenty or something:(and they are in no particular order) Queen: Sheer Heart Attack Queen: A Night at the Opera, Hot Space, and pretty much all of their other albums Freddie Mercury: Mr. Bad Guy and Barcelona TMBG: John Henry, Factory Showroom, Apollo 18, or Lincoln Bing Crosby: In A Little Spanish Town, Bing Sings While Bregman Swings, and quite a few other newer compilations Van Morrison: anything Proclaimers: This is the Story and Sunshine on Leith Tom Waits: Raindogs The Police: Outlandos d'Amour and Synchronicity Sting: Ten Summoners Tales Jay and the Americans: Greatest Hits Bad Religion: Suffer, No Control, Against the Grain, Stranger than Fiction, The Gray Race Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits The Beach Boys: Endless Summer and Pet Sounds Fred Schneider: Fred Schneider The Pecker Soundtrack Moxy Fruvous: Live Noise Spin Doctors: Pocketful of Kryptonite and Turn It Upside Down Billy Joel: Greatest Hits 1 and 2 Barenaked Ladies: Rock Spectacle and the red white and blue one and that's all i can tink of for now because my brain is getting very very tired. and by the way i'll be turning twenty one october the twelfth, which is the REAL columbus day, not the observed one, and not that anybody cares anyway.... ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Fw: Napster Blues Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:10:54 -0400 Message-ID: from the elvis costello list ----- Original Message ----- From: "Woody Taylor" To: Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 7:55 PM Subject: Napster Blues (No EC) > From http://www.marketplace.org > > Napster Blues > Rock stars are moaning that Napster is stealing their profits, but some say > the blame should be on music companies that have been slow to embrace this > new technology. John Flansburg of They Might Be Giants comments on the > Napster phenomenon. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000726015307.59339.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:53:07 PDT TMBG can actually be connected to Kevin Bacon, the inspiration for the game. They're connected in numerous ways (pick one) to XTC, and XTC's fantastic song "Happy Families" was on the soundtrack to She's Having A Baby, starring Mr. Tremors himself. >From: "Yer Pal Paul" >Reply-To: "Yer Pal Paul" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:47:23 -0400 > >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message ><20000717230603.20861.qmail@hotmail.com>... > >>and the song at the end was Where is my Mind (by the pixies who > >>opened for tmbg) . > > > >Did the Pixies ever open for TMBG? I thought it was just Frank Black who > >did. > >-- > >Sorry for the delayed response. > >You are correct sir. Frank Black opened for TMBG for most of their tour >in, like, 1992 (?). But never did the Pixies open for TMBG. Of course, >there are other examples of collaboration between FB and TMBG. Both Johns >have described Frank Black (Charles Thompson) as a friend of theirs. >Linnell played sax on some of the tracks of FB's self titled album and >Flans >has directed a few of his videos. > >Yer Pal Paul >Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. > > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.0.20000726013945.01a82ec8@pop.suscom.net> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:48:46 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: TMBG : Very interesting claim by the band Severe Tire Damage Below I've pasted from the band Severe Tire Damage's site, at http://www.std.org/text/AnnaK.html ++++++++++++ Song for Anna K. Anna Karlin, STD's first drummer and guitarist, was dating Henk from South Africa when this song was written by guitarist Russ Haines. The original recording was made on a mono Wilcox-Gay "Recordio Disc" in 1981 and transferred to mp3. It was intended as a scratch recording for the band to learn the song. Somehow, as all too often happens, the recording got passed around. They Might Be Giants, plagiarists as they are, covered the song changing only the occasional lyric. It was not a big deal until 1998 when They Might Be Giants toured and released an album titled, "Severe Tire Damage". It seems jealousy of Severe Tire Damage is still running rampant years after the Rolling Stones tried to be the "First Band On The Internet" three years after STD did it. Anna K. For those who question the validity of STD's claim to authorship of "Anna K.", ask yourself: Anna K. was a member of STD: who is "Ana Ng" and what's her relationship to TMBG? Which recording was first? Whose lyrics make more sense? The Marks (STD's bassist Mark Manasse and drummer Mark Weiser) have counseled against suing The Johns. But STD has heard TMBG is about to cover The Banana Slug Song... +++++++++++++ Is it a joke? Doesn't particularly sound like it, till the last four words anyway... A sample of the lyrics - "Still haven't talked of the glow in each others' magnetic presence." Most of the song is like that. Anyway, the final clue that it's just STD kidding around is on http://www.std.org/text/music.html where the song is labeled a parody. Had me going for a while. Dylan "Never fooled Mike Leffel twice" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com http://www.flipse.com - Everything Flipse ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-26 ******************************