Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 29 Saturday, 29 July 2000 Today's Topics: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-26 Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens TMBG: Record deal? Re: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens TMBG: Re: Record deal? TMBG:Some thoughts on TMBG and the idea of selling out TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007289647.AA964792141@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:48:57 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-26 Yo, Pyro..... Take a breath ! Yes, people do frequently misunderstand. And it's often much more entertaining to. But in this case, this is not a major breakdown of society as we know it. Hell, if the Big Mac vs tofu thing didn't make enemies for life, then we'll all probably survive this. It does appear that Kristy misunderstood you to begin with, if you told her " some people would see you as a dork" and she heard "you're a dork". But no one is accusing anybody of anything. One guy said something like "if he did say that, then he doesn't deserve you", and if you had, he would have been right. But if you didn't, then he's not. Kay? And as for me, well, okay, I'm sorry I said we'd have to kill you. In my own defense, I did kinda think I was being funny..... But I've frequently been known to be wrong about that. Now everybody do the Ana Ng dance, & make up. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-26 Author: Date: 07/27/00 6:22 PM talk about friggin missunderstanding. I believe we were talking about what mainsteam idiots would see us as and I said they would call Kristy a dork. Coming from the biggest "dork" in human history that wouldn't be much of an insult if I directly called her that. As for other peoples opions go I think anyone has just as much of a right to speak their mind as I do. I don't remember who said this but I believe in this quote "I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it to death" I don't think those are the exact words but thats the general idea. I dislike the nields music but I could care less about whether someone listens to them or not. All of your false acusations have offended me. I guess I can't blame you for not fully understanding. It also proves how well Kristy pays attention to the conntent of our conversations. - Pyro "They've had plenty of experience in the art of survival. Can you imagine living your whole life in a tribe of monkeys, with your very survival depending on them not finding out that you are a human, a superior being..." -Professor Cawston ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007289647.AA964792447@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:54:04 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens >"I may not agree with >what >you say but I'll defend your right to say it to death" ..Or "Til My Head Falls Off"...... Ar Ar Ar Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007289647.AA964792750@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:59:06 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens Author: "Jay G." Date: 07/28/00 7:00 AM Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:20000727223019.45646.qmail@hotmail.com... >>> Pyro: >>>I don't >>>remember who said this but I believe in this quote "I may not agree with >>>what >>>you say but I'll defend your right to say it to death" >> I think that might have been our old pal Voltaire. I'm not quite sure, >> though. >Which is kind of ironic considering that Voltaire published some of his >essays under pseudonyms so as not to get heat from them. > >-Jay Well, I guess he realized that not everyone was as willing to defend his right to say stuff as he was to defend theirs..... if you catch my somewhat drifty drift. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:35:35 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <8lsu1p$1pcc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Record deal? This was recently posted to the newsgroup, but I do not know where the info came from. I can't seem to find any conformation of this at either the Restless site or any of the other TMBG sites. The message seems to suggest that they have signed to Restless for more than just the MITM soundtrack. >"THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS have resigned >to Restless Records. Their first new >recordings for the label will be featured on >the soundtrack of "Malcolm in >the Middle," due Oct. 24." -- Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <10.2c072c.26b35988@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:47:52 EDT Subject: Re: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens In a message dated 7/28/00 10:02:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, karinh@sterl.com writes: Don't worry all is forgiven. I suppose I was a little out of line. It has partailly to do with lack of sleep and having a cold in the middle of the summer is no fun either. the other part is I get really defennnsive when I get juged by someone that doesn't know me. I mean everything that was said about me was a total contradiction to what I am actaully like. I'm not about to tell my life's story that explains why I get so defensive. But I'll tell a little. In high school I was prosecuted by other people for everything I did. Even for listening to TMBG. Can you immagine being told that TMBG was the wrong type of music to listen to. Anyway I'm sorry I was so hot headed. I really just wanted to get the point across that I am not this horrible person. And now I'm going to turn on Ana Ng as loud as possible and do the dance! heee heee! - Pyro "They've had plenty of experience in the art of survival. Can you imagine living your whole life in a tribe of monkeys, with your very survival depending on them not finding out that you are a human, a superior being..." -Professor Cawston ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:56:24 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8lsveg$1q9j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Record deal? The closest thing to a confirmation on the Restless site is that fact that they are listed in the "Artists" list in the menu on the left frame and also, there is an animated gif that shows new Restless artists and TMBG are mentioned as one of them. One might suppose that this means that they just signed a deal with Restless. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000729000646.836.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG:Some thoughts on TMBG and the idea of selling out Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:06:46 PDT Recent threads have brought up in my mind a few thoughts that I feel like sharing: I've kind of always felt that TMBG and many of the other bands that I enjoy who have a "different" sound would do anything they could to sell out, but they simply can't. I'd bet that the Johns don't create a "different" sound because they think that there's some kind of glory or dignity in being below the surface and not on the radio. If they could become the Goo Goo dolls, and make a skebillion dollars at it, I bet they would do it in a heart beat. They'd have to be crazy not to. TMBG is TMBG simply because that's all they know how to be. And we love them for it. I mean really, if they were at all worried about "selling out" would they have done the coke ad or the Austin Powers movie? -John "Third John" Landis * ------------------------------------------------------------- Hear a thought! Share a thought! Call my Dial-a-thought service at 1-877-608-1600 (ext. 538) It's a toll free call! ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:42:23 GMT Message-ID: Excuse the plethora of exclamation points in the subject title, but I just found out fantastic news. If you already know it, you should just revel in seeing such joyful words again. Napster has officially been granted a stay, which means that it will NOT be shut down at midnight tonight as planned. It's only temporary, but at least for now, Napster has won, thanks to over 60,000 fans who signed an online petition saying they would not purchase music until Napster came back, which would cost the Recording Industry over $1 million. Ha-ha! It is now a beautiful day, and the children in the playgrounds can resume their frolicking in a world where happiness is free. God bless America! ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000729015427.57699.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Matt Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:54:27 EDT This only goes to show the fact that nothing is illegal as long as 20 million people do it. As Napster(and the mp3 community) grows the artists will get less and less money. And one day they just won't do it anymore... --Matt >From: "John Ferrer" >Reply-To: "John Ferrer" >To: AineFein@aol.com, Plasmastar@aol.com, dunlaptgr@cs.com, >BigSexy516@aol.com, PersonManHGC@aol.com, ryanluck@aol.com, >tmbg-list@tmbg.org, mstapes@egroups.com >Subject: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:42:23 GMT > >Excuse the plethora of exclamation points in the subject title, but I just >found out fantastic news. If you already know it, you should just revel in >seeing such joyful words again. Napster has officially been granted a stay, >which means that it will NOT be shut down at midnight tonight as planned. >It's only temporary, but at least for now, Napster has won, thanks to over >60,000 fans who signed an online petition saying they would not purchase >music until Napster came back, which would cost the Recording Industry over >$1 million. > >Ha-ha! It is now a beautiful day, and the children in the playgrounds can >resume their frolicking in a world where happiness is free. God bless >America! >________________________________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000729020812.75673.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:08:12 PDT >From: "Matt Brown" >This only goes to show the fact that nothing is illegal as long as 20 >million people do it. As Napster(and the mp3 community) grows the artists >will get less and less money. And one day they just won't do it anymore... Well, I'm afraid I think you're completely wrong. Since Napster came to be, CD sales are higher than ever. The only thing Napster might do is take away some of the power from the industries and give it back to the artists, who make more money from touring and merchandising than from album sales. And that's a GOOD thing. I used to walk into a CD store and only recognize TMBG besides basic staples of rock. They're the only band I'd buy an album by, and honestly within just the last year, thanks solely to the availability of online music, it's completely different for me. My CD wishlist is longer than ever by enough pages to fill a novel, and I've already begun to stack up on full collections of bands I previously had no interest in, such as Velvet Underground and the ever-popular-on-this-list Moxy Fruvous. I mean, John Flansburgh supports it for a reason. The reason is that it's a godsend, and it's the best thing in music to happen since the compact disc for both consumers and performers. > > >--Matt >Reply-To: "Matt Brown" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:54:27 EDT > > > >>From: "John Ferrer" >>Reply-To: "John Ferrer" >>To: AineFein@aol.com, Plasmastar@aol.com, dunlaptgr@cs.com, >>BigSexy516@aol.com, PersonManHGC@aol.com, ryanluck@aol.com, >>tmbg-list@tmbg.org, mstapes@egroups.com >>Subject: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:42:23 GMT >> >>Excuse the plethora of exclamation points in the subject title, but I just >>found out fantastic news. If you already know it, you should just revel in >>seeing such joyful words again. Napster has officially been granted a >>stay, >>which means that it will NOT be shut down at midnight tonight as planned. >>It's only temporary, but at least for now, Napster has won, thanks to over >>60,000 fans who signed an online petition saying they would not purchase >>music until Napster came back, which would cost the Recording Industry >>over >>$1 million. >> >>Ha-ha! It is now a beautiful day, and the children in the playgrounds can >>resume their frolicking in a world where happiness is free. God bless >>America! >>________________________________________________________________________ >>Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com >> > >________________________________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-29 ******************************