Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 30 Sunday, 30 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: NAPSTER HOOHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: TMB in EGM Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: St louis show RE: TMBG: St louis show TMBG: Three new TMBG songs on Dial-a-Song. Call now! 718-387-6962narrrrrrr Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Message-Id: Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:54:56 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: NAPSTER HOOHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > >>From: "Matt Brown" >>This only goes to show the fact that nothing is illegal as long as 20 >>million people do it. As Napster(and the mp3 community) grows the artists > >will get less and less money. And one day they just won't do it anymore.. From "John Ferrer": > I mean, >John Flansburgh supports it for a reason. The reason is that it's a godsend, >and it's the best thing in music to happen since the compact disc for both >consumers and performers. Flansy SUPPORTS it? Either you haven't listened to his commentary from NPR this week, or you've somehow missed his point. He never said he supported Napster or any other method of "stealing copyrighted music works." What John F did say was that the music industry needs to get proactive about the internet, mp3's and online music in general. He suggested an industry sponsored, high bandwidth, streaming server where the average fan could access music unavailable on the radio. He also mentioned that there wasn't much chance that was going to happen anytime soon (or at least implied it). He did start off by bashing "rich rock star dudes", but then he turned his opening statement on its head, saying that even a preschool graduate knows that "stealing is wrong". Yes, Napster won a temporary stay, but I highly doubt it had much to do with any online petitions. This is very typical of our legal system, where the appeal process can delay action for months, even years. Meanwhile, if Napster dies, Gnutella still lives, and there will continue to be others. If you want to read a decent evaluation of the whole issue, go to http://www.salon.com and click on Courtney Love's picture up in the corner. You want to know who's ripping off musical artists? It certainly isn't the online community. PZ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000729153918.43731.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: TMBG: TMB in EGM Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:39:18 EDT While flipping through the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly I flipped to the "Forced Feedback" section (only included only in subscribers issues) and there at the top of their "Web Sites:Phatter than Phat" list was www.dialasong.com ! I guess it's official-we have an agent inside EGM. Coupled with recent appearances on "Internet Tonight" Ziff-Davis (the company in charge of bot ZDTV and EGM) is becoming a very TMBG company. For those wanting to check it out see Issue #134, Sept. 2000 issue. Justin McElroy Visit my Wesley Willis webpage at http://countryrock8.homestead.com ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: 29 Jul 2000 09:29:57 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247259501ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: NAPSTER WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Matt Brown wrote: >This only goes to show the fact that nothing is illegal as long as 20 >million people do it. As Napster(and the mp3 community) grows the artists >will get less and less money. And one day they just won't do >it anymore... Music will always be made, no matter what happens but I agree with the first part of your post. Its nice find at least one person that has some sort of conscience. Its interesting to see how most Internet user are pro Napster just because there's something in it for them. I like Napster and occasionally use it. I hope it survives but I'm not going to post messages with subject lines like, "Woooo hooo! We Get to Steal!" Having said that, I think its really foolish for a smaller artists to protest Napster. It might be their only hope of getting recognition. When You Were Spiraling opened for TMBG, the front man, Tom Brilsin was saying how you could get one free song of theirs from MP3.com. I like YWS but I think Tom needs to do a reality check. They should be giving it all away for free for now. I agree with John Ferrer when he said Napster "a godsend, and it's the best thing in music to happen since the compact disc for both consumers and performers." Thats true. Its an exciting potential revolution for the music industry. So many people list bands like "Third Eye Blind" as their favorites only because its the only type of crap they've had to choose from on radio or MTV. My point is that even though Napster is great for artists and consumers, the copyright owners still do have the right to decide what they are giving away. ("Fair use" type things like samples excluded.) I get exposed to new bands in many different ways. I expect unauthorized MP3s to be one of those ways (hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will.) I think this will end with a compromise of some kind between the unrealistic, old fashioned, stubborn music industry and the gleeful thieves. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <6b.7a59443.26b4844f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:02:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: St louis show Anyone have any info on the St Louis show next week? where can i get tickets? I really really want to know! thanks kids ------------------------------ From: refund@nmt.edu Message-Id: <200007291912.NAA15277@Acura.astech.org> Subject: RE: TMBG: St louis show Date: 29 Jul 2000 13:13:21 -0700 I'm gonna be in St. Louis myself, next week, so I did some research on the show. It's been cancelled. I had my mother call the place it was gonna be held at, and they said it'd been rescheduled to a later date, and then cancelled. If anyone here finds out any differently, please tell me. I wanted to go. :0( Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > ** Original Subject: RE: TMBG: St louis show > ** Original Sender: Gegatron@aol.com > ** Original Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:03:25 -0600 > ** Original Message follows... > > Anyone have any info on the St Louis show next week? where can i get > tickets? I really really want to know! thanks kids >** --------- End Original Message ----------- ** > Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my webpage, recently updated, no less... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ And a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 16:16:39 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8lve7k$2pfl$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Three new TMBG songs on Dial-a-Song. Call now! 718-387-6962narrrrrrr Hey guys, just got off the phone with our favorite answering machine and I got to hear three new songs! The first one is a cool song about a meteorite, the second seems to be an alternate version of one of the Malcolm in the Middle instrumentals with some added lyrics and the third is TMBG's theme song to the upcoming cartoon, The Oblongs. Check it totally out! -Mike ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-30 ******************************