Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 31 Monday, 31 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever Re: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-30 Re: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper TMBG: TMBG in Yahoo! Internet Life Re: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper TMBG: Elektra and Drugs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ASRTrain@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:37:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever Well, here's my thoughts on Napster. Convenience. Napster is convenience. Us stupid Americans can only think about ourselves...so when we found out that we could access almost any MP3 from almost any artist we liked, we said, "Hey! Let's spend less money on CD's and more money on disk space. Disk space is cheaper anyway! Not to mention we don't have to go to the store!". So then, along came Napster and the computer world went to Hell. Consumers loved the fact that they didn't have to leave home and pay to get the new CD of their favorite band. They would simply start a download and go make a sandwich...simple, convenient, free. Meanwhile, we're causing havok all over the place. Artists all over the world are pissed off. Us normal people are happy. I'll admit, I downloaded a shitload of MP3's. I have over 600 by now. I'm all over convenience, simplicity and free stuff...but I have to say, it's not right what I have done. I have stolen music. I haven't bought a CD (unless CD-R's are included) in a damn long time. I know when my band gets big I don't want people stealin our shit. We need the money. It's hard being a musician, but being a poor musician is even harder. So there are my thoughts. Good Night. -Ryan z::GOANS::z ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000730025833.00a3fd88@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:59:34 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever >Meanwhile, we're causing havok all over the place. Artists all over the >world are pissed off. Us normal people are happy. I'll admit, I downloaded >a shitload of MP3's. I have over 600 by now. I'm all over convenience, >simplicity and free stuff...but I have to say, it's not right what I have >done. I have stolen music. I haven't bought a CD (unless CD-R's are >included) in a damn long time. I know when my band gets big I don't want >people stealin our shit. We need the money. It's hard being a musician, but >being a poor musician is even harder. So there are my thoughts. Good Night. There is hardly a musician that isn't poor. Record companies hardly pay them at all. Reference the aforementioned salon article by courtney love. -- -=Matt Brown=- GaTech cs/phys undergrad | web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com | "Every Day is a Good Day" email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ From: cordelia@stayfree.co.uk Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000730110627.0098b290@pop3.stayfree.co.uk> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:08:01 +0100 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-30 > >> ....As Napster(and the mp3 community) grows the artists > > >will get less and less money. And one day they just won't do it > anymore.. We'd just be left with the ones who weren't doing it purely for money. Wouldn't that be awful. AJ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:17:12 GMT Message-ID: Ryan: >So then, along came Napster and the computer world went to Hell. Consumers >loved the fact that they didn't have to leave home and pay to get the new >CD >of their favorite band. They would simply start a download and go make a >sandwich...simple, convenient, free. Hey! That's not free! You have to pay for the bread! And whatever you're going to put ON the sandwich! -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:35:21 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <39844B39.275D477C@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Napster WAHOOO...whatever Here's my 2 cents. I've only downloaded about 70 songs from Napster and have maybe another 10 that I would like to have. I also agree that convenience and simplicity are very wonderful things. However, with the exception of a few bands that I really like (TMBG, Smashing Pumpkins, Bloodhound Gang) I was never much of a CD buyer anyway. I never wanted to go out and buy a $15 CD just for one song that I knew I liked. I never even got into buying singles. On that same note, Napster is inconvenience for me because I, personally, have no way of getting the mp3's off of my computer to listen to them in any other format. I realize that there ARE ways to do this, but I haven't, and probably never will, shell out the money needed to do such things. So, when it comes to downloading music for me, no one is losing money. -acs ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <8.86acaed.26b5e822@aol.com> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:20:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper This may have been posted before, but anyone who did not see the 4 page Shredding Paper (indie music zine) interview with John Flansburgh (in which he talks about influences and how he feels about Bob Dylan owning TMBG records plus more) can order it with the info from this URL : http://members.home.net/shredding/sp6.html Enjoy! ------------------------------ From: "James LeVeque" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Yahoo! Internet Life Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:36:21 -0700 Message-ID: > From: "Justin McElroy" > Subject: TMBG: TMB in EGM > Coupled with recent appearances on "Internet Tonight" Ziff-Davis (the > company in charge of bot ZDTV and EGM) is becoming a very TMBG company. Well then, how 'bout this? In the August 2000 issue of the Ziff-Davis puplished Yahoo! Internet Life (the one with a naked Alanis Morissette on the cover), our man Flans is not only mentioned in one of the article, he was part of a roundtable discussion on the status and future of Online music. Also in the discussion were Chuck D, Shawn Fanning from Napster, Aimee Mann, Hilary Rosen of the RIAA, the afore mentioned Alanis Morissette (No word on wheather she was naked during the discussion) as well as a half-a-dozen other people who I've never heard of but are of some relation to music a/o the net. I think It's a good read, myself. The article does a good job of humanizing both sides of the whole Napster debate. And while it won't make me go right out and uninstall my copy of Napster, it does make me more weary of the concerns of legit. artists who are against it. While I won't write out a transcript of the article this time, I will put down one of the few responses that Flansy-poo got in.: Y-Life: So how do we deal with piracy? What do you think of the Metallica and Dre lawsuits? Flansburgh: One thing that is unfortunate about Metallica being the spokesman for the musicians' side of things is that their example is so singularly unusual. It's sort of like the Mighty Thor represnting you at the U.N. They are internationally rich, and, more important, their music is constantly being pushed on audiences. So much of their stuff is so promotionally omnipresent. It confuses the basic issue. Oh, btw: according to the article, you can find an expaned version of the discussion online at http://www.yil.com/url/0008/music.html though I havn't checked it out yet myself. I guess this article proves two things: 1) No. Flansburgh dosn't "support" Napster, but it seems he supports the people fighting napster even less. and 2) Not only do we have an "inside-man" in EGM, I think we got one higher up in the ranks. I think "Ziff" sounds like the name of a good Giant-head, don't you? Allrighty, what's this been so far? 3 posts in 2 months? I fear I'm not being as good of a lurker as I used to, I must mave had a streak of at least a year going there... *sigh* oh well. Here's to next year! ~~blue_j ~~James LeVeque ~No one of consequence. ------------------------------ From: "Matt Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:56:08 EDT Message-ID: Which ones does Bob Dylan own? Plus I don't wanna order the magazine, someone should transcribe it... --Matt >From: MsTanbul@aol.com >Reply-To: MsTanbul@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper >Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:20:50 EDT > >This may have been posted before, but anyone who did not see the 4 page >Shredding Paper (indie music zine) interview with John Flansburgh (in which >he talks about influences and how he feels about Bob Dylan owning TMBG >records plus more) can order it with the info from this URL : > >http://members.home.net/shredding/sp6.html > >Enjoy! ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Matt Brown" Subject: TMBG: Elektra and Drugs Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:28:02 EDT Message-ID: Flans has this recurrent theme in these recent interviews about MP3s and major labels. First in the Marketplace interview he says drug-using execs. And now in the Yahoo one he says , 'They aren't that naave -- after all, these people aren't high all the time. '. What's up with that? Personally this sounds like he's dealt with it before.... --Matt ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-31 ******************************