Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 6 Thursday, 6 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: bumper stickers Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs -Reply Re: TMBG: WUFTM Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs TMBG: Chicago observation Re: TMBG: Chicago observation TMBG: Re: Chicago observation TMBG: Utah Show Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs Re:TMBG: Utah Show TMBG: Re: Chicago observation Re: TMBG: Chicago observation TMBG: WUFTM CD EP Re[2]: TMBG: Chicago observation TMBG: WUFTM EP TMBG: New Dial-A-Songs Re: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP TMBG: im dumb Re: TMBG: WUFTM EP Re:TMBG: im dumb Re: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP TMBG: emusic promotional gift: They Might Be Giants EP Re: Re[2]: TMBG: Chicago observation Re: TMBG: New Dial-A-Songs Re: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000705062607.96221.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristy Norman" Subject: TMBG: bumper stickers Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 06:26:07 GMT Oh, put the bumper sticker on. Hell, it's *just* a car... Then again, I'm psychotically obsessive. Guess I'm not a good person to ask? K All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 9:39:54 +0100 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs -Reply Keep it on the wall! Mind you in the UK we don't seem to have this bumber sticker habit. Something to do with the rain?! Richard (it's Wimbledon tennis fortnight and.... it's raining!) >>> "Christi587@aol.com" 4/July/2000 09:01pm >>> Here's an open question for the list: I have a New Beetle, and I am torn about whether to put my coffee cup TMBG bumper sticker on it. I want to put it on, but there isn't much of a distinct bumper on the Beetle given its rounded shape... so should I ruin the line of the car for TMBG (and possibly others) or just keep the bumper sticker on my wall? --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000705094424.19834.qmail@web123.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 02:44:24 -0700 (PDT) From: Jennifer Morton Subject: Re: TMBG: WUFTM --- PULPSTRESS@aol.com wrote: > > well..it seems that the working undercover for the > man discs are finally > arriving.. so far, two people who post to the tmbg > newsgroup have received > theirs...... I got mine today! am i the first one to post to the list about it? wow, guess i'm special. anyone else? ~Jennifer ===== Sullenmoon1@yahoo.com Sullenmoon@rocketmail.com http://members.tripod.com/~SullenMoon/index.html "...i could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm-clock always wakes me right up..." -They Might Be Giants __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: 05 Jul 2000 06:59:19 -0800 Message-ID: <-1249342139ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs Christi587@aol.com wrote: > >Here's an open question for the list: I have a New Beetle, and I am torn >about whether to put my coffee cup TMBG bumper sticker on it. I want to put >it on, but there isn't much of a distinct bumper on the Beetle given its >rounded shape... so should I ruin the line of the car for TMBG (and possibly >others) or just keep the bumper sticker on my wall? I would avoid putting any stickers on it for at least a couple of years. But I've been thinking. Have you ever seen those magnetic business cards - The ones with the almost paper thin magnetic backing? I've been thinking about getting a large piece of that material, sticking a sticker on it, then trimming it to the size of the sticker. That way you have a bumper sticker that can be placed and removed without damage to the car's finish. Of course anyone could swipe it if they knew it was only a sticker. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <94.6a7cb30.26949bb5@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:09:57 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs In a message dated 7/4/00 4:11:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Christi587@aol.com writes: << Here's an open question for the list: I have a New Beetle, and I am torn about whether to put my coffee cup TMBG bumper sticker on it. I want to put it on, but there isn't much of a distinct bumper on the Beetle given its rounded shape... so should I ruin the line of the car for TMBG (and possibly others) or just keep the bumper sticker on my wall? --Christy >> I say put the sticker on the car. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000705142159.5434.qmail@web2203.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 07:21:59 -0700 (PDT) From: Christine Sinacore Subject: TMBG: Chicago observation Just something I noticed..... I have been to quite a few TMBG concerts, and this time was the first time that John Linnell was dressed REALLY nice. I was expecting black jeans and a ratty blue t-shirt. He was also surprisingly happy and talkative. They both were. It was very enjoyable. And please, let's not have 300 responses about how John would look good in a paper bag...I know this...I was just wondering if anybody else noticed the change. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:24:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicago observation In a message dated 7/5/00 10:22:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time, csinacore@yahoo.com writes: << And please, let's not have 300 responses about how John would look good in a paper bag...I know this...I was just wondering if anybody else noticed the change. >> I hadn't noticed that he changed his look. I guess that I should keep an eye out for it. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:31:36 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jvgq4$nc6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Chicago observation >I have been to quite a few TMBG concerts, and this >time was the first time that John Linnell was dressed >REALLY nice. I was expecting black jeans and a ratty >blue t-shirt. He was also surprisingly happy and >talkative. They both were. It was very enjoyable. I was at the Utah show last night. He was pretty much his usual self. I'm color blind, so I can't tell you what colors he was wearing, but it looked like old kakhis and a ratty old t-shirt. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:47:09 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8jvhn9$nsh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Utah Show So, last night I had the pleasure of attending the Red Hot 4th TMBG Rock Concert/Dog Show. Unlike other shows I've been to, the TMBG show was only a fraction of the night's activities. The night started out with a few lame acts like the fabulous "Frizzbee Dogs" and the Salt Lake Letter Carriers Band. Woo hoo! Then, after some other fun stuff (including a buzz from three Apache helicopters from the Utah National Guard), the TMBG show started. What follows is a setlist (hopefully in the right order): New York City / Birdhouse in Your Soul / Boss of Me / The Guitar / James K. Polk / Dr. Worm / Shoehorn with Teeth / Istanbul This was the largest crowd I'd ever seen at a TMBG show. It was in a football stadium and I'm sure a majority of the people were there to see the fireworks and the "headliner:" Chicago, but I did notice a whole bunch of people leaving after TMBG finished, including the people sitting next to me. I would have followed, but at $24 a ticket, I wanted fireworks too. Other than the short set, this was your typical TMBG show (always awesome!). At the end of Dr. Worm, the crowd began a "wave" just to the right of the stage. Being a large venue, it took a while to get across the stadium and they finished the song before the wave made it all the way around. Flans remarked, "I think this is the first time anyone's done the wave during this song. I want to swear, but I can't." and when the wave caught up with the stage, the band joined in, letting the wave go around for a second time. I was going to record the show for y'all, but my recorder broke. I was very disappointed at that. Oh, Chicago was okay too, if anyone cares. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <27.7bab3c7.2694a53f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:50:39 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bumpah stickahs In a message dated 7/5/00 9:58:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ggr@wlg.com writes: > That way you have a bumper sticker that can be placed and removed without > damage to the car's finish. That's commonly done in movies... I know viewaskew.com was auctioning off one of the magnets that was stuck on a news van in "Dogma" a while back. Also, a lot of politicos, at least down here, have 'em printed out and slap 'em on their cars during campaign season. I've been debating getting a 1'X1' Autobot sigil printed... I think Kinko's, or maybe a detailing shop can make 'em.... ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007059628.AA962809250@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:00:48 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Utah Show >>At the end of Dr. Worm, the crowd began a "wave" just to the right of >the >stage. Being a large venue, it took a while to get across the stadium >and >they finished the song before the wave made it all the way around. >Flans >remarked, "I think this is the first time anyone's done the wave during >this >song. I want to swear, but I can't." and when the wave caught up with >the >stage, the band joined in, letting the wave go around for a second >time. Hey, they do the wave at all their shows. It's just kind of hard to recognize since everyone is constantly starting their own wave, over & over really fast, and screaming at the same time. So it ends up looking like just a bunch of people jumping up & down & waving their arms & screaming. You just need a discerning eye to make it out. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:56:29 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <396384DD.4EB7B80E@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Chicago observation Be wuiet Christine. No one likes Linnell but you and you're just weird. (hehehehe) *wink* -acs Christine Sinacore wrote: > > Just something I noticed..... > > I have been to quite a few TMBG concerts, and this > time was the first time that John Linnell was dressed > REALLY nice. I was expecting black jeans and a ratty > blue t-shirt. He was also surprisingly happy and > talkative. They both were. It was very enjoyable. > > And please, let's not have 300 responses about how > John would look good in a paper bag...I know this...I > was just wondering if anybody else noticed the change. > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. > http://invites.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <7b.65d324f.2694e961@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:41:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicago observation << And please, let's not have 300 responses about how John would look good in a paper bag...I know this...I was just wondering if anybody else noticed the change. >> HEY!! He's not THAT ugly >:P ;) (Actually, now you mention it, if he came to a concert in a big muu-muu shaped paper bag with a big paper bag on his head with eye holes and a smiley face, that WOULD be pretty funny.) ------------------------------ From: kilper10@juno.com Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:21:06 -0500 Subject: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP Message-ID: <20000705.152107.177.0.Kilper10@juno.com> I ordered the EP from emusic on the day it was released, and today I got an e-mail from Emusic that the CD version was shipped finally. That sure was a generous 3-4 weeks for delivery. Gary ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007059628.AA962828627@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:23:44 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Chicago observation >>(Actually, now you mention it, if he came to a concert in a big muu-muu >shaped paper bag with a big paper bag on his head with eye holes and a >smiley face, that WOULD be pretty funny.)<< Lydia sig-free since 1837 %-} ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:25:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: WUFTM EP In a message dated 7/5/00 4:22:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kilper10@juno.com writes: << I ordered the EP from emusic on the day it was released, and today I got an e-mail from Emusic that the CD version was shipped finally. That sure was a generous 3-4 weeks for delivery. Gary >> I got the same message, but I went to UPS.com to track it, and it's in Maryland already, but why the hell isn't mine "supposed" to be here until the 10th? Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001a01bfe6c3$034aace0$0816e1d8@cannon10> From: "Erich" Subject: TMBG: New Dial-A-Songs Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:52:48 -0700 I am currently uploading the new dial-a-songs one called Lazy Head & Sleepy Bones, the other remains titleless but i'm going to call it "Going to Pee" which seems crazy but thats what the song is about. The lyrics are a bit hard to understand but everyone give it a listen when its downloadble or call DAS and listen to the Pee song and you will see...its a sweet song but with an odd subject. Erich ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200007052104.RAA16932@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:04:38 -0400 (EDT) > I ordered the EP from emusic on the day it was released, and today I got > an e-mail from Emusic that the CD version was shipped finally. That sure > was a generous 3-4 weeks for delivery. > I got an e-mail saying it should be delivered by July 10 as well. I'm guessing that is a maximum estimate of when you should receive it and you could well receive it much earlier than that. The funny thing I noticed on the UPS tracking page is the fact that it was in Portland, OR at 1:12AM on July 1 and it was in Burtonsville, MD location at 1:13AM on July 1! Did they alter the physical nature of the CD so that it could be transfered electronically in 1 minute's time? Also, I hope those are local times or else it traveled back in time to get to Maryland! Still, I'm glad I'm getting it regardless of the extra weeks to wait for it. At least we're going to receive it at all, unlike a certain TMBG-list t-shirt that was promised to us. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002901bfe6c6$2d54aba0$0816e1d8@cannon10> From: "Erich" Subject: TMBG: im dumb Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:15:37 -0700 i gave the song a good listen and wrote down the lyrics and realized its not PEE its SLEEP. but at the same time it stills sounds like PEE but really.....yeah right. give it a listen. here's the lyrics: The day is done The sun is down, the curtains have been drawn And darkness has decended over everything in town The covers have been turned and ive got my pajamas on I've had my fun ive stretched and yawned and all is said and done. I'm going to sleep. I've done so many things today there's nothing left to do. I ate three meals I rode my bike I hung out with my friends I did my chores I watched tv, I practiced the guitar. I brushed my teeth I read my book and then I ducked around. I'm going to sleep. Erich ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000705171910.0096bd30@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:19:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: WUFTM EP LOL, maybe because it's being shipped via UPS Ground? UPS Ground is probably *the* sorriest method of delivery currently available. -Adam At 04:25 PM 7/5/00 -0400, MikeTheGiant@aol.com wrote: >I got the same message, but I went to UPS.com to track it, and it's in >Maryland already, but why the hell isn't mine "supposed" to be here until the >10th? ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007059628.AA962832110@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:21:46 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: im dumb "Erich" sez: >>i gave the song a good listen and wrote down the >lyrics and realized its not >PEE its SLEEP. but at the same time it stills sounds >like PEE but >really.....yeah right. > >give it a listen.<< I did give it a listen, right after I read the email (free, from work!) and it sure as hell sounds like "pee" to me. Especially the part where it goes (or seems to go) "pee pee pee pee, pee". If it was "Sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep", it would have been awfully noticeable, all those "sl"s. But then all that weird horn stuff happenin could confuse things. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20000705172006.0096a250@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:20:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP Um, yeah, Oregon and Maryland are in different time zones... -Adam At 05:04 PM 7/5/00 -0400, Matt James wrote: > > >I got an e-mail saying it should be delivered by July 10 as well. >I'm guessing that is a maximum estimate of when you should receive >it and you could well receive it much earlier than that. >The funny thing I noticed on the UPS tracking page is the fact >that it was in Portland, OR at 1:12AM on July 1 and it was in >Burtonsville, MD location at 1:13AM on July 1! >Did they alter the physical nature of the CD so that it could >be transfered electronically in 1 minute's time? Also, I hope >those are local times or else it traveled back in time to get >to Maryland! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3963BD75.BAC22A1A@st.com> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:57:57 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: emusic promotional gift: They Might Be Giants EP WOO-HOO-HOO! I got notification today from emusic that my special promotional gift: They Might Be Giants EP was shipped. They even gave me a UPS tracking number--check it out http://wwwapps.ups.com/etracking/tracking.cgi?tracknums_displayed=5&TypeOfInquiryNumber=T&HTMLVersion=4.0&InquiryNumber1=1Z198AR94245464313&InquiryNumber2=&InquiryNumber3=&InquiryNumber4=&InquiryNumber5=&track.x=35&track.y=8 It says that scheduled delivery is July 5 (today)! I can't wait to get home and check it out! Okay that's enough Russ ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <22.8032fed.26953317@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 20:55:51 EDT Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: Chicago observation << Lydia sig-free since 1837 %-} >> Thanks, I goofed :) Lydia Sheepish And Forgetful Since "Back in MY day..." ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <5a.779d5f3.2695381f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:17:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New Dial-A-Songs How do I get to the DL section of dialasong? All I ever got was this phone and all it ever played was The Smoking Gun. Is there an FTP-like index or something I could meddle around in? Lydia Frustrated With TMBG's Devious Sense Of Humor Concerning Their Web Sites Since 1837 ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <13.793d7be.2695521a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:08:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: WUFTM CD EP In a message dated 7/5/00 5:05:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, elrond@charm.net writes: << I got an e-mail saying it should be delivered by July 10 as well. I'm guessing that is a maximum estimate of when you should receive it and you could well receive it much earlier than that. The funny thing I noticed on the UPS tracking page is the fact that it was in Portland, OR at 1:12AM on July 1 and it was in Burtonsville, MD location at 1:13AM on July 1! Did they alter the physical nature of the CD so that it could be transfered electronically in 1 minute's time? Also, I hope those are local times or else it traveled back in time to get to Maryland! Still, I'm glad I'm getting it regardless of the extra weeks to wait for it. At least we're going to receive it at all, unlike a certain TMBG-list t-shirt that was promised to us. -Matt >> I noticed the same thing about the times. The funny thing is, is that Burtonsville, MD, is about an 30 mins. away from where I live (Bel Air, MD). I hope that it comes tomorrow! Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-6 *****************************