Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #31-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 31, Number 9 Sunday, 9 July 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Don't shay sandwiches, shay sammiches. Bish. Re: TMBG: Re: Don't shay sandwiches, shay sammiches. Bish. TMBG: New topic of discussion Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion TMBG: Mad TV Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-8 Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion TMBG: I want to thank for putting back in my turtleneck Re: TMBG: I want to thank for putting back in my turtleneck Re: TMBG: I want to thank for putting back in my turtleneck Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000708120250.78569.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Don't shay sandwiches, shay sammiches. Bish. Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 08:00:08 -0400 Mommy I wanna punnabudder an jeyey sammich! They is good in mah tummy!! > No. You are wrong. Therefore, you must be destroyed... permanently! Ha ha > ha! Let's get those missiles ready to destroy you! > > Seriously, what's wrong with sammiches? At least they have > neither sand nor witches in them. Think on that. > > "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" > Frogurt > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009201bfe931$ce8d4fa0$1a8e7cce@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Don't shay sandwiches, shay sammiches. Bish. Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 16:11:08 -0700 As yet another English major, I have to say that I take great offense at the implication that "sammiches" is somehow inferior to "sandwiches". Of course, I don't really like to eat sammiches, so maybe my opinion doesn't count. But don't sammiches just sound yummier? I say, yes! Lani O ("Yes!") >Mommy I wanna punnabudder an jeyey sammich! They is good in mah tummy!! > >> No. You are wrong. Therefore, you must be destroyed... permanently! Ha ha >> ha! Let's get those missiles ready to destroy you! >> >> Seriously, what's wrong with sammiches? At least they have >> neither sand nor witches in them. Think on that. >> >> "Count the legs, the arms and heads, and then divide by five" >> Frogurt >> ________________________________________________________________________ >> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com >> >> > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000709024532.72080.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Ian The Bold" Subject: TMBG: New topic of discussion Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 22:45:32 EDT Hey, I got this idea from my Ben Folds Five mailing list. Choose your ideal TMBG album by track number. For instance, your choices for track one would be ERIWA, Ana Ng, Theme from Flood, Hey Mr. DJ, Dig My Grave, Subliminal, S-E-X-X-Y, Doctor Worm, and Drinkin'. (LP's only) Here's my list: 1. Ana Ng 2. Snail Shell (Prepare to see a lot of JH on this list) 3. They Got Lost (live version) 4. Rat Patrol 5. AKA Driver 6. The Statue Got Me High 7.*tie- XTC vs. Adam Ant (album version)AND Particle Man (album) 8. The Guitar (duh) 9. *tie- Spiraling Shape AND Spy 10. Narrow Your Eyes 11. No One Knows My Plan 12. *tie- Minimum Wage AND For Science 13. *tie- See The Constellation AND The Bells are Ringing 14. *tie- Whistling in the Dark AND They'll Need a Crane 15. Meet James Ensor (album) 16. 'Til My Head Falls Off (Live) 17. Fingertips (the whole mini-album) 18. Out of Jail 19. Stomp Box 20. The End of the Tour 38. Space Suit There you have it. "He took a dog-doo snow-cone and shoved it my right eye." -Ian ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <35.74b6eaf.2699438f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 22:55:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion I don't quite get it. All I know is that most of my favorite songs end up on track #9. Lydia Since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000709030633.55341.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: TMBG: Mad TV Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:06:33 GMT Was anyone but me watching Mad TV tonight when they did the parody of Malcolm In The Middle...? They called it "Malcolm X In The Middle" and the theme song was the important part... "You're not the white boss of me now, and I'm not your slave"... nothing else in the skit was funny at all, sadly. -Samantha ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <396805E1.7293DD1B@fruhead.com> Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 00:56:01 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion Ian The Bold wrote: > > Hey, > I got this idea from my Ben Folds Five mailing list. Choose your ideal > TMBG album by track number. For instance, your choices for track one would > be ERIWA, Ana Ng, Theme from Flood, Hey Mr. DJ, Dig My Grave, Subliminal, > S-E-X-X-Y, Doctor Worm, and Drinkin'. (LP's only) sounds like a good idea... 1. Ana Ng 2. Til My Head Falls Off 3. Sleeping in the Flowers 4. Purple Toupee 5. Metal Detector 6. The Statue Got Me High 7. It's Not My Birthday 8. Dark and Metric 9. Dinner Bell 10. Kiss Me, Son of God (*good* version) 11. She's an Angel 12. Which Describes How You're Feeling 13. The Bells are Ringing 14. A Self Called Nowhere 15. Turn Around 16. When it Rains it Snows 17. Window 18. Out of Jail 19. Rhythm Section Want Ad 20. The End of the Tour now, here's one - if you were to make a mix of all your favourite bands, 20 tracks long, following the same rule, what would it be? here's mine... (er, ok, so this is more difficult than I thought - it seems bands like putting their best songs at 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, and 12, and that They Might Be Giants are pretty much the only band with regular CDs longer than 15 tracks... among the bands I listen to anyway) that and I tried to avoid duplication. :) 1. Barenaked Ladies - Jane 2. Russell Wolff - Intertwined 3. The Nields - This Town is Wrong 4. Ben Folds Five - Magic 5. Cub - Main and Broadway 6. John Linnell - Montana 7. Lincoln - Wish You Were Dead 8. Beach Boys - God Only Knows 9. Guster - So Long 10. R.E.M. - Man on the Moon 11. Tory Cassis - Leaning on the Stair 12. "Weird Al" Yankovic - Albuquerque 13. Great Big Sea - Bad as I Am 14. Candy Butchers - Once I Was 15. Moxy Fruvous - Gulf War Song 16. Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer (from Concert in Central Park) 17. Elvis Costello - Mystery Dance (from the extended "My Aim is True") 18. Violent Femmes - American Music (from Add it Up) 19. Beatles - Norwegian Wood (ok, so this is track 6 on Disc 2 of a 2-disc 1962-1966 set, and Disc 1 has 13 tracks, so if you listened in order, this would be the 19th track :) 20. They Might Be Giants - The End of the Tour -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "And I don't know whether I believe in me, but I still believe in my friends." -The Nields ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000709054229.38927.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kristy Norman" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-8 Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 05:42:29 GMT thought on it, frogurt....... still don't agree. respectfully, of course. k All hail Justin's Alien Kitten Goddess Angel-Princess of the Squirrels, the Universe and Everything ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000709055531.36330.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 22:55:31 PDT Well, this seems like as good a way as any to make my debut post to the TMBG list. I just had my wisdom teeth taken out and I was going to inaudably re-record all the tracks on John Henry through the swollen gums and bloody gauze, but that was when the painkillers had the best of me, and now the dream is gone. I'm sure that would have made a much more significant impression, but hey, you can't win them all. Here's my "ideal TMBG album by track number." 1. S-E-X-X-Y 2. I Palindrome I 3. Number Three (Honestly, my favorite #3 is "Sleeping in the Flowers," but I wouldn't feel right denying this song's right to be included in this game.) 4. Exquisite Dead Guy (Honestly a toss-up between all albums - #4 is typically my favorite.) 5. AKA Driver 6. Where Your Eyes Don't Go 7. It's Not My Birthday 8. The Guitar 9. Spiraling Shape (Sorry, Pavlov.) 10. Narrow Your Eyes 11. Pet Name (Tied with "She's An Angel." I'm a failure at this!) 12. Dirt Bike 13. See the Constellation 14. Self Called Nowhere 15. Turn Around 16. Thermostat 17. Snowball in Hell 18. They Might Be Giants 19. Rhythm Section Want Ad 20. The End of the Tour Well, there it is. As for the list of songs by other bands, I'm drained. This was much harder then my ingenious re-recording of John Henry would have been. If anyone has any painkillers they won't be using, send them my way... >From: lawrence solomon >Reply-To: lawrence solomon >CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: New topic of discussion >Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 00:56:01 -0400 > >Ian The Bold wrote: > > > > Hey, > > I got this idea from my Ben Folds Five mailing list. Choose your >ideal > > TMBG album by track number. For instance, your choices for track one >would > > be ERIWA, Ana Ng, Theme from Flood, Hey Mr. DJ, Dig My Grave, >Subliminal, > > S-E-X-X-Y, Doctor Worm, and Drinkin'. (LP's only) > >sounds like a good idea... > >1. Ana Ng >2. Til My Head Falls Off >3. Sleeping in the Flowers >4. Purple Toupee >5. Metal Detector >6. The Statue Got Me High >7. It's Not My Birthday >8. Dark and Metric >9. Dinner Bell >10. Kiss Me, Son of God (*good* version) >11. She's an Angel >12. Which Describes How You're Feeling >13. The Bells are Ringing >14. A Self Called Nowhere >15. Turn Around >16. When it Rains it Snows >17. Window >18. Out of Jail >19. Rhythm Section Want Ad >20. The End of the Tour > >now, here's one - if you were to make a mix of all your favourite bands, 20 >tracks long, following the same rule, what would it be? > >here's mine... (er, ok, so this is more difficult than I thought - it seems >bands like putting their best songs at 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, and 12, and that >They >Might Be Giants are pretty much the only band with regular CDs longer than >15 >tracks... among the bands I listen to anyway) that and I tried to avoid >duplication. :) > >1. Barenaked Ladies - Jane >2. Russell Wolff - Intertwined >3. The Nields - This Town is Wrong >4. Ben Folds Five - Magic >5. Cub - Main and Broadway >6. John Linnell - Montana >7. Lincoln - Wish You Were Dead >8. Beach Boys - God Only Knows >9. Guster - So Long >10. R.E.M. - Man on the Moon >11. Tory Cassis - Leaning on the Stair >12. "Weird Al" Yankovic - Albuquerque >13. Great Big Sea - Bad as I Am >14. Candy Butchers - Once I Was >15. Moxy Fruvous - Gulf War Song >16. Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer (from Concert in Central Park) >17. Elvis Costello - Mystery Dance (from the extended "My Aim is True") >18. Violent Femmes - American Music (from Add it Up) >19. Beatles - Norwegian Wood (ok, so this is track 6 on Disc 2 of a 2-disc >1962-1966 set, and Disc 1 has 13 tracks, so if you listened in order, this >would be the 19th track :) >20. They Might Be Giants - The End of the Tour >-- > lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com > "And I don't know whether I believe in me, > but I still believe in my friends." -The Nields ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <396814E5.DE5D543F@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 23:00:07 -0700 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: I want to thank for putting back in my turtleneck From: karinh@sterl.com wrote: >John L clones come with accordions and a supply of >turtleneck sweaters Beside the Snail Shell video when else has Linnell worn a turtle neck? I'm not sure what the quintessential Linnell clothing item would be. In the 90's he wore those purple, long sleeved shirts with horizontal stripes but now everytime I see them play live he's usually wearing a dark green T-shirt, jeans and black Converse Chuck Taylor sneakers. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <46.7d318aa.26996eb8@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 01:59:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I want to thank for putting back in my turtleneck In a message dated 7/9/00 1:56:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: > I see > them play live he's usually wearing a dark green T-shirt, jeans and black > Converse > Chuck Taylor sneakers. Hm. Last time I saw 'em, he had on one of those "Property of Something Or the Other Athletic" shirts, the ones with XXL on 'em. Pretty amusing, given Linnell's relative smallness. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00f701bfe96b$f288fe60$82794ac7@jbl010.acns.nwu.edu> From: "Jamie Lipton" Subject: Re: TMBG: I want to thank for putting back in my turtleneck Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 01:07:21 -0500 I watched Direct From Brooklyn this afternoon, and I noticed that Linnell wears a black turtleneck - maybe all the same black turtleneck - in a few of the videos. Definitely in Birdhouse in your soul. Also Purple Toupee, I think. --Jamie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #31-9 *****************************