Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 1 Tuesday, 1 August 2000 Today's Topics: Re[2]: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens Re:TMBG: Three new TMBG songs on Dial-a-Song. Call now! 718- TMBG: Re: Snapster TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-30 Re: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper TMBG: Rest Awhile Chords TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want them... Re:TMBG: Rest Awhile Chords Re: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want Re: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want them... TMBG: Rest Awhile... Re[2]: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want RE: non-TMBG: Am I a sheep? TMBG: Rest Awhile Semi-TMBG: Meat Puppets Re:TMBG: Rest Awhile Chords Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007319650.AA965053635@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:49:00 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Re: We must cultivate our gardens I do have to say that I was totally unaware that "Pyro" was aka "BirdhouseIYS" (but that raises a whole nother point: Are our birdhouses safe with this guy around? I don't have any birdhouse fire insurance...). So I was just responding to a hypothetical guy, not our very own listmate (who was here before me, btw). Also, I'll bet just about everyone here has caught a fair amount of $hi+, whether directly because of our musical taste or not. The kind of music we like is an expression of how our minds work (Right, Lydia?!!?) Consider your persecution a battle trophy, hard earned and well deserved. (the trophy part, not the persecution part. That didn't come out quite right....) Like the Bard says: "You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same." Later - - - Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007319650.AA965053636@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:59:13 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Three new TMBG songs on Dial-a-Song. Call now! 718- Umm, Can I just check it partially out???? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Three new TMBG songs on Dial-a-Song. Call now! 718-387 Author: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Date: 07/29/00 4:16 PM Hey guys, just got off the phone with our favorite answering machine and I got to hear three new songs! The first one is a cool song about a meteorite, the second seems to be an alternate version of one of the Malcolm in the Middle instrumentals with some added lyrics and the third is TMBG's theme song to the upcoming cartoon, The Oblongs. Check it totally out! -Mike ------------------------------ From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Message-Id: Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:32:25 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Snapster > > >From: "Matt Brown" > >Flans has this recurrent theme in these recent interviews about MP3s and >major labels. First in the Marketplace interview he says drug-using execs. >And now in the Yahoo one he says , 'They aren't that naave -- after all, >these people aren't high all the time. '. What's up with that? Personally >this sounds like he's dealt with it before.... Isn't there some reference to drug use in "Hey Mr. DJ"? I should go check, but I'm eatin me breakfast at the moment. PZ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:50:23 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8m43jj$1fmd$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #31-30 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_009A_01BFFACC.5D6648C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Unfortunately, because ther would be no money in the business of making = music, the ones that weren't doing it for the money would never get a = whit of promotion, distribution, or any help in the production of their = music. The only way to hear new music would be to go to concerts of = bands you've never heard of that may or may not suck. And on top of = that, there'd be absolutely no hope of ever seeing videos again on = MTV... cordelia@stayfree.co.uk wrote in message = <4.2.0.58.20000730110627.0098b290@pop3.stayfree.co.uk>... >> ....As Napster(and the mp3 community) grows the artists > >will get less and less money. And one day they just won't do it = anymore.. We'd just be left with the ones who weren't doing it purely for money. = Wouldn't that be awful. AJ ------=_NextPart_000_009A_01BFFACC.5D6648C0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Unfortunately, because ther would be no = money in=20 the business of making music, the ones that weren't doing it for the = money would=20 never get a whit of promotion, distribution, or any help in the = production of=20 their music.  The only way to hear new music would be to go to = concerts of=20 bands you've never heard of that may or may not suck.  And on top = of that,=20 there'd be absolutely no hope of ever seeing videos again on = MTV...
cordelia@stayfree.co.uk=20 wrote in message <4.2.= 0.58.20000730110627.0098b290@pop3.stayfree.co.uk>...
>> ....As Napster(and the mp3 = community)=20 grows the artists
>  >will get less and less = money.  And=20 one day they just won't do it anymore..

We'd just be = left with=20 the ones who weren't doing it purely for money. Wouldn't that be=20 awful.

AJ
------=_NextPart_000_009A_01BFFACC.5D6648C0-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000731152051.6538.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:20:51 EDT Jeez Matt, I Don't want to make this a personal attack here because I'm sure your view is shared by many. But how do you expect these magazine companies to make any money if everyone transcribes the articles they like? Your not just hurting them your hurting TMBG too. What if everyone that liked TMBG went out and bought the magazine? The editor would say - "WOW! Putting TMBG in our magazine really boosted sales! We should have more articles with TMBG!" Then they proceed to tell all their magazine friends that TMBG=MORE MONEY, that's when TMBG will be able to get tons of press and we'll get more great interviews like this. All I'm saying is that if a magizine has the intellegence to feature TMBG we should let them know we appreciate it financially not with- "I don't wanna order the magazine-someone should transcribe it." It makes you sound like a two year old at K-Mart begging for a Blow-Pop. >From: "Matt Brown" >Reply-To: "Matt Brown" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper >Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:56:08 EDT > >Which ones does Bob Dylan own? Plus I don't wanna order the magazine >someone should transcribe it. > >--Matt > > >>From: MsTanbul@aol.com >>Reply-To: MsTanbul@aol.com >>To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >>Subject: TMBG: TMBG Shredding Paper >>Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:20:50 EDT >> >>This may have been posted before, but anyone who did not see the 4 page >>Shredding Paper (indie music zine) interview with John Flansburgh (in >>which >>he talks about influences and how he feels about Bob Dylan owning TMBG >>records plus more) can order it with the info from this URL : >> >>http://members.home.net/shredding/sp6.html >> >>Enjoy! > >________________________________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:38:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Rest Awhile Chords Hello fellow Giantheads, Here are the chords (or my interpretation at least) of Rest Awhile off the WUFTM album. The 3rd verse is probably very wrong lyricwise because I can't understand what Linnell is saying. I just tried to interpret it. Enjoy! Harlan Muir TMBG ambassador of "Iowa" DrSaxx@aol.com D Eb D (D)I got rid of all of my (G)jackets and coats, (A)I threw out all of my (F#)pants (B)I got sick of my (E)stinkin' cloathes I (G)had to get rid of them(A) I'm (D)not yet considering (G)replacing them I'm (A)only glad to be (F#)rid of them and (D)Rest Awhile(Eb) (D)Rest Awhile (D)I lay out in the (G)sun to long and (A)burned off all of my (F#)skin I (B)felt so dizzy I got (E)into the car and got (G)into an accident(A) (D)Out of the burning (G)wreckage I fell, (A)wanting only to (F#)lay where I fell and (D)Rest Awhile(Eb) (D)Rest Awhile (G) (G#) (G) (G#) (G) (G#) (G) (A) Rest Awhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile (D)I became friendly with (G)Rulia O'Pez the (A)author that works on (F#)chess, (B)Rulia said, "You're (E)incorrect, he (G)cut ---------(A)---------(?)" He (D)worried and said don't (G)talk to me now and (A)now I don't care cause I'm (F#)sick of that guy and I need to (D)Rest Awhile(Eb) (D)Rest Awhile(Eb) (D)Rest Awhile(Eb) (D)Rest Awhile ------------------------------ From: refund@nmt.edu Message-Id: <200007311630.KAA23844@Acura.astech.org> Subject: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want them... Date: 31 Jul 2000 10:31:49 -0700 Rest Awhile: I got rid of my jackets and coats - I threw out all of my pants. I got sick of my stinky clothes - I had to get rid of them. I'm not yet considering replacing them - I'm only glad to be rid of them ... and rest a while, rest a while. I lay out in the sun too long ... And burned off all of my skin. I felt so dizzy, I got into the car ... And got into an accident. Out of the burning wreckage I fell - Wanting only to lay there I fell ... and rest a while, rest a while. Rest awhile! I became friendly with Ruy Lopez the author of books on chess "Ruy," I said, "you're incorrect." - He cut me off and acted mad. He won't even talk to me now - But I don't care cuz I'm sick of that guy ... And I need to rest awhile, rest awhile. Rest awhile, rest awhile! Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my webpage, recently updated, no less... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ And a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my webpage, recently updated, no less... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ And a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007319650.AA965061098@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:31:33 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Rest Awhile Chords I can help a bit, on one little piece.... >D)I became friendly with (G)Rulia O'Pez the (A)author that works on >(F#)chess, That would be Ruy Lopez, a famous chess player & one of the guys they actually named a gambit after. No idea at all what that gambit is, just that it exists. Happy to be your font of extraneous knowledge.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:33:48 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want Anyone know anything about Ruy Lopez? Richard >>> 07/31 6:31 pm >>> Rest Awhile: I got rid of my jackets and coats - I threw out all of my pants. I got sick of my stinky clothes - I had to get rid of them. I'm not yet considering replacing them - I'm only glad to be rid of them ... and rest a while, rest a while. I lay out in the sun too long ... And burned off all of my skin. I felt so dizzy, I got into the car ... And got into an accident. Out of the burning wreckage I fell - Wanting only to lay there I fell ... and rest a while, rest a while. Rest awhile! I became friendly with Ruy Lopez the author of books on chess "Ruy," I said, "you're incorrect." - He cut me off and acted mad. He won't even talk to me now - But I don't care cuz I'm sick of that guy ... And I need to rest awhile, rest awhile. Rest awhile, rest awhile! Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: 31 Jul 2000 11:06:40 -0800 Message-ID: <-1247080897ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want them... Richard Hilton wrote: >Wanting only to lay there I fell ... I thought it was "lay WHERE I fell". I'll have to listen to it again and see. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: refund@nmt.edu Message-Id: <200007311805.MAA24037@Acura.astech.org> Subject: TMBG: Rest Awhile... Date: 31 Jul 2000 12:07:05 -0700 It is 'lay where I fell'. My bad. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico And then there was my webpage, recently updated, no less... http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ And a MUSH, too... (Based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.) telnet://mush1.nis4u.com:4201 ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0007319650.AA965068013@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:26:46 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Rest Awhile lyrics...for those of you who want >Anyone know anything about Ruy Lopez? >Richard From what I could gather while still looking like I was working, he was a Spanish monk in the 1500s who "invented" the pawn, knight, bring up your bishop opening that most people use as the first 3 moves of a game. That's a lot of credit to get for doing what most people do naturally to get the pieces out where you can move them around. He also wrote a lot of books on chess, being a monk & all, & having a lot of time on his hands. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <380580315.965076586605.JavaMail.root@web303-mc.mail.com> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:49:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Alexander Beetle Subject: RE: non-TMBG: Am I a sheep? See, this is why I'm on digest, because it takes me four or five days to remember to check my mail. :P Anyway, Nathan said: "I don't see why that should be. People who listen to the radio and bands that are played on the radio don't HAVE to be different from TMBG fans. Fans come in all shapes, sizes, and tastes, after all. Whether or not you LIKE the bands listed there, there's no doubt that they're more popular than TMBG (at the moment, anyway), and they probably do much more to gain popularity (and money) than the Johns do." Good to hear. I've had un-good experience with "fellow" fans in the past, otherwise I wouldn't even have asked. I'll try and be a little less cynical in the future. He continued: "I think the band you don't like is 8-Year-Long Fad." Heh. Close. Actually, it's Third Eye Blind (sorry, Lydia). -- "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen all at once." - Buckaroo Banzai ______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:32:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: Rest Awhile Thanks all for the real lyrics....I almost had it though Harlan Muir TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:30:55 EDT Subject: Semi-TMBG: Meat Puppets Hey, today I visited my local Record Exchange. I was looking for some TMBG or Mono Puff CD's, but, alas, it was to no avail. While I was in the M's, though, I saw the Meat Puppets CD Forbidden Places. I only know of the Meat Puppets because of Whirlpool (covered by TMBG on WDTSS), but I heard they were pretty good, so I wanted to check it out. I asked one of the friendly (har!) people who work there, to open it, so I could take a look, and it had Whirlpool. It was pretty cheap, so I bought it. I took it home, and I liked it, but I have two questions. #1: Why did TMBG not sing part of the second verse (The Whirlpool's mother wore a jacket she'd sewn out of dental floss...)? #2: On the back, it says "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY -- DO NOT SELL". What's with that? It's a carboard CD case, with 10 songs listed, and an eleventh hidden (it's kind of a hoe-down kinda feel). Ask me about any other details. Thanks! "It was stolen by a monkey that sold it to an albatross." Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:01:40 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8m5eh4$2hi5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: Rest Awhile Chords wrote in message news:0007319650.AA965061098@smtplink.sterl.com... > I can help a bit, on one little piece.... > >D)I became friendly with (G)Rulia O'Pez the (A)author that works on > >(F#)chess, > > That would be Ruy Lopez, a famous chess player & one of the guys they actually > named a gambit after. No idea at all what that gambit is, just that it exists. > Happy to be your font of extraneous knowledge.... > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > Not a gambit. An actual opening. I know this, being a chess player myself. E2-E4 E7-E5 G1-F3 B8-C6 F1-B5 Or, as we like to say it: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 * The oldest thoroughly studied opening. Not my favorite. I think it's too risky for white(not that anyone else on this list plays chess...). Seriously, though, I'm looking for a guy. He was at the 1999 Missouri State Scholastic Chess Championships. We bumped into each other between rounds 2 and 3, I think. It was just so cool to see the World Tour 2040 shirt in person for the first time! We had a conversation about TMBG, he had a mix CD of theirs(2 discs, actually). If you need further proof that I'm really the guy you met there, I started off our game by saying, "I'LL show ya what's gonna happen to Chess Piece Face!" If I remember accurately, I won that game. :) CHESS-REFERENCING SONGS: Chess Piece Face Feel-Good Sublet Rest Awhile Any others? Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "Yup." -Gary Cooper ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-1 *****************************