Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 11 Friday, 11 August 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: They're everywhere! Re: TMBG: They're everywhere! TMBG: What I Found in My Letterbox Yesterday Re: TMBG: They're everywhere! TMBG: Re: They're everywhere! Re: TMBG: Re: Chuck and Buck TMBG: Dream World TMBG: saturday Re: TMBG: Dream World TMBG: Re: More casting fun.. Re: TMBG: Re: More casting fun.. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: They're everywhere! Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:47:03 EDT Message-ID: I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard about this sighting on here yet, so I guess I'll be the first to mention it... Last night I saw the movie Chuck and Buck. Chuck is this big-time record producer and Buck is a friend from his childhood. The two are sitting in Chuck's office, and there's a TV on but muted in the background. I caught a glimpse of a black and white music video that looked strangely familiar...then Chuck says "hey, this is my band, I signed these guys!" He unmutes the TV and we get a good 3-second or so clip of Dr. Worm! I was pretty surprised. You never know where the Johns are going to show up next - maybe on the Jumbotron in Times Square, or playing on a street corner a la Jonathan Richman in There's Something About Mary, or in your very own garage! No one can predict where They will be next! On another note, the movie was pretty good, but kind of disturbing - one of those movies that is close enough to real life that you feel awkward watching it. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: 10 Aug 2000 06:24:16 -0800 Message-ID: <-1246233842ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: They're everywhere! Let me get this right, MTV published a book about a girl obsessed with Linnell's arms and now their in a new movie. After being tricked by that TMBG Saturday morning animated series report, I don't know about these. -B O N G O Amy Greenlese wrote: >I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard about this sighting on here yet, so I >guess I'll be the first to mention it... Last night I saw the movie Chuck >and Buck. Chuck is this big-time record producer and Buck is a friend from >his childhood. The two are sitting in Chuck's office, and there's a TV on >but muted in the background. I caught a glimpse of a black and white music >video that looked strangely familiar...then Chuck says "hey, this is my >band, I signed these guys!" He unmutes the TV and we get a good 3-second or >so clip of Dr. Worm! I was pretty surprised. You never know where the >Johns are going to show up next - maybe on the Jumbotron in Times Square, or >playing on a street corner a la Jonathan Richman in There's Something About >Mary, or in your very own garage! No one can predict where They will be >next! > >On another note, the movie was pretty good, but kind of disturbing - one of >those movies that is close enough to real life that you feel awkward >watching it. ------------------------------ Date: 10 Aug 2000 06:32:27 -0800 Message-ID: <-1246233351ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: What I Found in My Letterbox Yesterday NIXON'S THE ONE ...whose forehead was on the postcard that I got yesterday. It was a promo for TMBG's website. Are they all the same? Because mine looks like the top left side of a puzzle. Are there other cards to collect and assemble? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: They're everywhere! Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:43:11 -0400 Message-ID: They are in Chuck and Buck... :D! Also I was watching this movie on a saturday afternoon on UPN (read: lame movie) and parts of snail shell and destination moon could be heard at different points of the movie in the boys room.. that is ALL i can remember of the movie...hehe Chrissy > Let me get this right, MTV published a book about a girl obsessed with Linnell's arms and now their in a new movie. After being tricked by that TMBG Saturday morning animated series report, I don't know about these. > > -B O N G O > > > Amy Greenlese wrote: > >I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard about this sighting on here yet, so I > >guess I'll be the first to mention it... Last night I saw the movie Chuck > >and Buck. Chuck is this big-time record producer and Buck is a friend from > >his childhood. The two are sitting in Chuck's office, and there's a TV on > >but muted in the background. I caught a glimpse of a black and white music > >video that looked strangely familiar...then Chuck says "hey, this is my > >band, I signed these guys!" He unmutes the TV and we get a good 3-second or > >so clip of Dr. Worm! I was pretty surprised. You never know where the > >Johns are going to show up next - maybe on the Jumbotron in Times Square, or > >playing on a street corner a la Jonathan Richman in There's Something About > >Mary, or in your very own garage! No one can predict where They will be > >next! > > > >On another note, the movie was pretty good, but kind of disturbing - one of > >those movies that is close enough to real life that you feel awkward > >watching it. > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:35:36 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <3992CBC8.C66101A9@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: They're everywhere! Maybe I should get out from under my rock but, i've never heard of that movie before. Hm. -acs Amy Greenlese wrote: > > I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard about this sighting on here yet, so I > guess I'll be the first to mention it... Last night I saw the movie Chuck > and Buck. Chuck is this big-time record producer and Buck is a friend from > his childhood. The two are sitting in Chuck's office, and there's a TV on > but muted in the background. I caught a glimpse of a black and white music > video that looked strangely familiar...then Chuck says "hey, this is my > band, I signed these guys!" He unmutes the TV and we get a good 3-second or > so clip of Dr. Worm! I was pretty surprised. You never know where the > Johns are going to show up next - maybe on the Jumbotron in Times Square, or > playing on a street corner a la Jonathan Richman in There's Something About > Mary, or in your very own garage! No one can predict where They will be > next! > > On another note, the movie was pretty good, but kind of disturbing - one of > those movies that is close enough to real life that you feel awkward > watching it. > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Chuck and Buck Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:44:33 EDT Message-ID: >Maybe I should get out from under my rock but, i've never heard of that >movie before. Hm. >-acs Don't feel out of the loop - it is a very low budget film, most definitely not mainstream. I saw it at our local "art" cinema, where they don't have a problem showing a movie about homosexual relationships that's not a comedy. **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000810182835.15346.qmail@web310.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:28:35 -0700 (PDT) From: Anne Heidemann Subject: TMBG: Dream World Greetings! before, I wrote: >>...has anyone read >>_Dream World_, a newish novel put out by MTV's >>imprint? It's got a main character modeled after >>Linnell, and the heroine is sort of obsessed >>with >>Linnell's arms. A good (not great but enjoyable) >>read. and then Bongo wrote: >I've never seen anyone post about that. About >how many Linnell references are in it? In what >way is the main character modeled after Linnell? >MTV won't even play TMBG but now they are >publishing books that mention them? Is this some >kind of a hoax? Well, the heroine is, like I said, sort of obsessed with Linnell's arms and Linnell in general (aren't we all). So there are a couple sections where she goes on about "this band she once saw" and she mentions all this stuff about Them--little physical details and stuff--so that any They fan would know who it is she's talking about. I don't think she mentions the name of the band until close to the very end of the story. One of her co-main characters is definitely physically based on Linnell, the female character makes all the Linnell comparisons to him. And near the end they both find out that they share a love of They. (Not a major plot point--don't worry I didn't ruin it for you if you want to read it.) It's really not a *major* part of the story, but for a They fan, it stands out. Also there's an excerpt of some lyrics in it--forgive me, I can't remember which song and I don't have the book with me. As for the novel, the main scheme of it is that this woman works for a big Disney-esque place called Dream World. She's dating her boss. She's in the security end of things. She and everyone else think that everything's hunky dory, but then two dead bodies show up in a heavy security restricted area, and someone needs to solve the mystery without letting on to the public that anything has happened. Of course, there are mucho complications with the coverup and of course personal relationships get called into question, too. It's not the most original theme or whatever, but it was heavily populated by pop-culture references, which I love. If you've got anymore questions, please feel free to ask! :D Anne ===== ****************************************************** Anne Heidemann WordGrrl7@yahoo.com ICQ#: 28531435 fax: (603) 807-5866 http://www.angelfire.com/mi/anneland ******************************************************* __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Princess Kristy" Subject: TMBG: saturday Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:49:14 GMT Message-ID: Could someone do me a big favor and tell me how the Englewood show is, setlist, etc.? Something really large came up and I can't bring myself to go anymore. Sad day when my emotional health would conflict with a TMBG show.... Thanks guys. Love Kristy lovin Lydia's signature since 2000 ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream World Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:52:07 GMT Message-ID: I think this qualifies as the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. I'm going to have to buy the book just to prove that it exists. Wow. But once again, you'd think that if MTV publishes things like this, they'd at least have played the effing Dr. Worm video a couple times. >From: Anne Heidemann >Reply-To: Anne Heidemann >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Dream World >Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:28:35 -0700 (PDT) > >Greetings! > >before, I wrote: > >>...has anyone read > >>_Dream World_, a newish novel put out by MTV's > >>imprint? It's got a main character modeled >after > >>Linnell, and the heroine is sort of obsessed > >>with > >>Linnell's arms. A good (not great but >enjoyable) > >>read. >and then Bongo wrote: > >I've never seen anyone post about that. About > >how many Linnell references are in it? In what > >way is the main character modeled after Linnell? > > >MTV won't even play TMBG but now they are > >publishing books that mention them? Is this some > >kind of a hoax? > >Well, the heroine is, like I said, sort of >obsessed with Linnell's arms and Linnell in >general (aren't we all). So there are a couple >sections where she goes on about "this band she >once saw" and she mentions all this stuff about >Them--little physical details and stuff--so that >any They fan would know who it is she's talking >about. I don't think she mentions the name of the >band until close to the very end of the story. >One of her co-main characters is definitely >physically based on Linnell, the female character >makes all the Linnell comparisons to him. And >near the end they both find out that they share a >love of They. (Not a major plot point--don't >worry I didn't ruin it for you if you want to >read it.) > >It's really not a *major* part of the story, but >for a They fan, it stands out. Also there's an >excerpt of some lyrics in it--forgive me, I can't >remember which song and I don't have the book >with me. >As for the novel, the main scheme of it is that >this woman works for a big Disney-esque place >called Dream World. She's dating her boss. She's >in the security end of things. She and everyone >else think that everything's hunky dory, but then >two dead bodies show up in a heavy security >restricted area, and someone needs to solve the >mystery without letting on to the public that >anything has happened. Of course, there are mucho >complications with the coverup and of course >personal relationships get called into question, >too. It's not the most original theme or >whatever, but it was heavily populated by >pop-culture references, which I love. > >If you've got anymore questions, please feel free >to ask! :D >Anne > >===== >****************************************************** > Anne Heidemann > > WordGrrl7@yahoo.com ICQ#: 28531435 fax: (603) 807-5866 > http://www.angelfire.com/mi/anneland > >******************************************************* > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. >http://invites.yahoo.com/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <399352DD.EAB6174C@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:11:59 -0700 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Re: More casting fun.. "Erich" wrote: >I vote we ALL start forming our messages in the lyrical form of a TMBG song. >I'm writing in the form of the kitten intro, in case you were wondering. Great ... but how is that in the form of kitten intro? Maybe I should go and listen to it again. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: More casting fun.. Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:42:19 GMT Message-ID: > > >I vote we ALL start forming our messages in the lyrical form of a TMBG >song. > >I'm writing in the form of the kitten intro, in case you were wondering. > > Great ... but how is that in the form of kitten intro? Maybe I should >go >and listen to it again. > Um...see...the joke was that the kitten intro is...spoken word. So it doesn't really have a form. It made sense when I said it. This is in the form of "Mario Speaks." ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-11 ******************************