Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 12 Saturday, 12 August 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Dream World TMBG: 2 extra tickets to Saturday's show Re: TMBG: Dream World Re: TMBG: Dream World TMBG: Intro TMBG: Re: Intro Re: TMBG: Dream World TMBG: hola, nice to meet me Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me TMBG: Dilemma Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me TMBG: Re: Dilemma TMBG: Re: Dilemma TMBG: Re: Dilemma Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Message-Id: Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:25:17 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream World John Ferrer wrote: >But once again, you'd think that if MTV publishes things like this, they'd >at least have played the effing Dr. Worm video a couple times. MTV is notorious for dropping creative types like a rock once they've thoroughly used them to make their network seem cutting edge and hip. A perfect example is the sock puppet show "Sifl and Olly", which ran just long enough to generate a bunch of interest in these 2 creative dudes who did the show, at which point MTV dropped it from the face of the earth, while hanging onto controlling rights, thereby keeping the Sifl and Olly guys from releasing any of their stuff via the web. Currently, MTV has a season's worth of shows, but they won't show them, nor will they release control. So we should be glad They never developed a stronger working relationship with the evil force we call MTV. PZ ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 02:27:29 EDT Subject: TMBG: 2 extra tickets to Saturday's show Hello. Due to an unfortunate turn of events (sorry, Kristy), my friend and I have 2 extra tickets to the 8//12 show. They're $30 each ($28 per ticket, plus $2 Ticketmaster charge), and if anyone's interested, e-mail me soon. Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <7c.97d19ad.26c52dac@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 06:21:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream World >...has anyone read >_Dream World_, a newish novel put out by MTV's >imprint? Where can I find it, do they sell it in common bookstores? If so, what section would it be in? Lydia Bemused and Intrigued Since 1837 ------------------------------ From: Mbrosendale@cs.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 06:55:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream World I found it in the fiction section at Barnes and Noble (there were a few copies) under the author's name (Jane Goldman) so it should be pretty easy to find. I just started reading it and haven't hit the Linnell references yet! Mary Beth ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:20:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Intro Message-ID: <20000811.082213.-189475.1.scitamb.2@juno.com> From: Skye A Sciolto Hey everyone, I am a longtime Ben Folds, the Eels, Weezer, and Pavement fan; but I have varied interests including even Megadeth and classical music. I also love Weird Al. I am endlessly intrigued by TMBG lyrics, especially, and have to have a certain amount of listening every day. Currently seeing a lot of my speakers are We Want a Rock, Fish Heads, 88 Lines About 44 Women, and Older. I live in Rhode Island, out in the woods about 20 minutes from Providence. Venues I generally see bands play are Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel(intimate place that gets fairly big bands, even Smashing Pumpkins)in Providence, the Orpheum in Boston, and the Strand(now defunct)also in Providence. I usually listen to WBRU. In real life, I am an EMT, pharmacy tech, and vet tech; get paid for the latter two and I'm a volunteer Lieutenant EMTD/ET, though I get paid for teaching/testing students. I'm also an avid horseperson; I have two horses. That about sums it up. Oh, I can't decide what to call myself(I have many nicknames).. my name is actually Skye, but for now I'll go by ttml. Any questions? ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Intro Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:41:31 -0400 Message-ID: Fish Heads is by Barnes and Barnes and 88 Lines.. is by Nails. They have been marked as TMBG on napster... but lemme tell you TMBG is much better than that! Welcome to the list! Chrissy > speakers are We Want a Rock, Fish Heads, 88 Lines About 44 Women, and > Older. ------------------------------ Date: 11 Aug 2000 06:35:07 -0800 Message-ID: <-1246146791ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream World Anne Heidemann wrote: Okay, I'll see if they can order it at my local Borders. -B O N G O >Well, the heroine is, like I said, sort of >obsessed with Linnell's arms and Linnell in >general (aren't we all). So there are a couple >sections where she goes on about "this band she >once saw" and she mentions all this stuff about >Them--little physical details and stuff--so that >any They fan would know who it is she's talking >about. I don't think she mentions the name of the >band until close to the very end of the story. >One of her co-main characters is definitely >physically based on Linnell, the female character >makes all the Linnell comparisons to him. And >near the end they both find out that they share a >love of They. (Not a major plot point--don't >worry I didn't ruin it for you if you want to >read it.) > >It's really not a *major* part of the story, but >for a They fan, it stands out. Also there's an >excerpt of some lyrics in it--forgive me, I can't >remember which song and I don't have the book >with me. >As for the novel, the main scheme of it is that >this woman works for a big Disney-esque place >called Dream World. She's dating her boss. She's >in the security end of things. She and everyone >else think that everything's hunky dory, but then >two dead bodies show up in a heavy security >restricted area, and someone needs to solve the >mystery without letting on to the public that >anything has happened. Of course, there are mucho >complications with the coverup and of course >personal relationships get called into question, >too. It's not the most original theme or >whatever, but it was heavily populated by >pop-culture references, which I love. > >If you've got anymore questions, please feel free >to ask! :D >Anne > >===== >****************************************************** > Anne Heidemann > > WordGrrl7@yahoo.com ICQ#: 28531435 fax: (603) 807-5866 > http://www.angelfire.com/mi/anneland > >******************************************************* > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. >http://invites.yahoo.com/ > ------------------------------ From: Mijacogeo6@aol.com Message-ID: <57.9b81a7c.26c56a68@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:40:40 EDT Subject: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me hi everyone! i*m new to the list, so i thought i*d just jump into the conversation. First of all, I MUST have that book....any book featuring obsessed They fans AND a character based on Linnell must be good. Great even. And second, is anyone here going the the Prospect Park show? Luff, Christine ------------------------------ Date: 11 Aug 2000 09:35:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1246135964ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me Christine (Mijacogeo6@aol.com wrote): >hi everyone! i*m new to the list, so i thought i*d just jump into the >conversation. Skye A Sciolto wrote >Hey everyone, >I am a longtime Ben Folds, the Eels, Weezer, and Pavement fan; but I have >varied interests including... Welcome to the list Chris Welcome to the list Skye Welcome to it all I think you're gonna like Think you're gonna like Once you've given the list a chance. On the li-iiiist On the li-iiiist On the li-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii-iiii- st! (John Ferrer wrote: > I vote we ALL start forming our messages in the lyrical form of a TMBG song.) ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <6a.59cfcfe.26c5d101@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:58:25 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me Dinner Bell? ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <74.209cb26.26c5d194@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:00:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Dilemma I just recieved a copy of the They'll Need a Crane single (the tiny cd one) in the mail from ebay and it is in its original wrapping....Should I open it? Leave it as is? AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Any suggestions? Harlan Muir TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:01:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me I meant is that response in the form of Dinner Bell?.....sorry ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:13:50 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8n1tnh$3049$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dilemma I'd say that if you already own Misc. T or Then that you shouldn't bother opening it. You won't hear anything new. Not that an unopened CD will get you big bucks on the black market later. But it will stay nicer if you leave it sealed. DrSaxx@aol.com wrote in message <74.209cb26.26c5d194@aol.com>... >I just recieved a copy of the They'll Need a Crane single (the tiny cd one) >in the mail from ebay and it is in its original wrapping....Should I open it? > Leave it as is? AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Any suggestions? > > >Harlan Muir TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" >DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:19:57 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8n1u5g$30cn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dilemma > I just recieved a copy of the They'll Need a Crane single (the tiny cd one) > in the mail from ebay and it is in its original wrapping....Should I open it? > Leave it as is? AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Any suggestions? Open it only if it has some kind of liner notes or cover art that you can't see from the outside. Otherwise, let it stay safely tucked away, and listen to Misc. T to hear the songs. That's what I would do. Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:44:57 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <399481E9.DFBBE4A2@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Dilemma You know those rare times that you decided that you have too much crap cluttering your house and you *need* to get rid of some of it but you just can't seem to tear yourself away for your things? You know that eventually, uou're going to *have* to tear yourself away. Well, this is sort of one of thoes times. I say, open it. The world isn't going to come to an end either way. DrSaxx@aol.com wrote: > > I just recieved a copy of the They'll Need a Crane single (the tiny cd one) > in the mail from ebay and it is in its original wrapping....Should I open it? > Leave it as is? AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Any suggestions? > > Harlan Muir TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" > DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:06:50 -0400 Message-ID: "Welcome to the Jungle" ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 6:01 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: hola, nice to meet me > I meant is that response in the form of Dinner Bell?.....sorry > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-12 ******************************