Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 14 Monday, 14 August 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG And The Negro Problem TMBG: TMBG concert report: 8/12/00 TMBG: Re: prospect park Re: TMBG: prospect park TMBG: Re: TMBG concert report: 8/12/00 TMBG: Linnell Makes Top 10 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <39965A3D.4A43BF25@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:20:16 -0700 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: TMBG And The Negro Problem Stew of the The Negro Problem is releasing a solo album next month. His web page (stewmusic.com) says that some tracks were "cut in New York with help from locals like Marty Beller (film composer and occasional They Might Be Giants batteur)" I have two questions: 1) What is a "batteur"? 2) Who is Marty Beller? I couldn't find a definition for the word "batteur" but it translate to French as "beater". I guess a third question would be, why is this Marty Beller guy beating up the Johns? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:04:14 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8n69tl$1hd9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG concert report: 8/12/00 I saw a great show last night at the John Harms Theater of Arts in Englewood, NJ. Except for the encore, the entire set was played with seven or eight piece horn arrangements by Dan "The Machine" Levine. Unfortunatly, I didn't get to take any photos but I'll be sure to get some good ones in Brooklyn next week! Here's the set that was played: Wake Up Call / Monster / Older / Birdhouse In Your Soul / She's Actual Size / Museum of Idiots / How Can I Sing Like a Girl? / Don't Cross the Street / Dr. Evil / Chess Piece Face / Spy / Shoehorn With Teeth / Meet James Ensor / Dr. Worm / Turn Around / S-E-X-X-Y / Monster (with band intros) / Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - ENCORE - Robot Parade / She's An Angel / Boss of Me / Particle Man / Maybe I Know / New York City A few comments: Wake Up Call - Played over the house system as the band of Dans and the horns came on stage. Monster - The Dans and the horns played the Johns onto the stange with this reworked Malcolm in the Middle instrumental. They also played it later in the show as John F. inroduced the band to us. Museum of Idiots - A brand new Linnell song which he said was written specificly for the horns. I could actually understand some of the lyrics, not that I can remember them now or anything. Don't Cross the Street - The song that TMBG was looking for to cover for the No! album, there was a request for help finding it on theymightbegiants.com. Sung by Mrs. Robin Goldwasser. All in all, a great show number fifty two. See you in Brooklyn! -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:23:04 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8n6b0v$1hoq$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: prospect park The answer to your questions and more can be found here: http://www.bkny.net/whoweare/celebrate/schedule/index.html See ya there, Mike! -Mike Mike Hooker wrote in message news:002801c004d6$d3b2d980$28b6fea9@u2h0g2... > hi, > i am from long island, and have no idea where the prospect park > bandshell is. is there anywhere around there to park a car( safely) ? can > the railroad get you there? subway from LIRR atlantic ave station?? any help > is appreciated. also, its at 7:30 pm? free? is there an opener?? > > thanks, > Mike Hooker > ------------------------------ From: Mijacogeo6@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:07:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: prospect park mike hooker wrote: >hi, > i am from long island, and have no idea where the prospect park >bandshell is. is there anywhere around there to park a car( safely) ? can >the railroad get you there? subway from LIRR atlantic ave station?? any help >is appreciated. also, its at 7:30 pm? free? is there an opener?? > >thanks, >Mike Hooker Hey Mike...I am from LI also, so i'll tell you what i know about how Im getting there. Take the LIRR to Flatbush ( you may have to change at Jamaica ), then from Flatbush there is a short subway ride that takes you right to Prospect Park. Im not sure what subway, but i can find out. You can get in at 6:30, and the show starts at 7:30. M. Doughty is opening the show. BTW, where are you on LI? Luff, Christine ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:09:49 +0200 From: "Lior Gallimidi" Message-ID: <8n6kq4$1ktn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG concert report: 8/12/00 Will you post them to your site? TDK Wrote > I saw a great show last night at the John Harms Theater of Arts in > Englewood, NJ. Except for the encore, the entire set was played with seven > or eight piece horn arrangements by Dan "The Machine" Levine. Unfortunatly, > I didn't get to take any photos but I'll be sure to get some good ones in > Brooklyn next week! Here's the set that was played: > > Wake Up Call / Monster / Older / Birdhouse In Your Soul / She's Actual Size > / Museum of Idiots / How Can I Sing Like a Girl? / Don't Cross the Street / > Dr. Evil / Chess Piece Face / Spy / Shoehorn With Teeth / Meet James Ensor / > Dr. Worm / Turn Around / S-E-X-X-Y / Monster (with band intros) / Istanbul > (Not Constantinople) - ENCORE - Robot Parade / She's An Angel / Boss of Me / > Particle Man / Maybe I Know / New York City >All in all, a great show number fifty two. See you in Brooklyn! still zero here. no shows in israel for some resaon. -- ~Lior http://go.to/galga -------- "man, it's so messed up. The streets are filled with people fighting, and they're all on fire." ------------------------------ From: Mbrosendale@cs.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:57:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell Makes Top 10 Just checked the 20th Century's Most Likeable People site (http://zfi.cjb.net/) and Linnell is #10 as of August (they even have a picture and what I'm assuming is meant to be amusing Austin Powers reference)!! Thanks to all who contributed to this great achievement! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-14 ******************************