Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 18 Friday, 18 August 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists TMBG: Re: "there are no posts here" TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re: TMBG: The good old days... Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re: TMBG: The good old days... Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... TMBG: Cabbagetown? TMBG: Darkened Corridors Re: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... Re[2]: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... TMBG: NO! Preview Re: TMBG: NO! Preview Re: TMBG: NO! Preview Re: TMBG: Re: "there are no posts here" Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re: TMBG: The good old days... Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Re: TMBG: The good old days... TMBG: Re: NO! Preview Re: TMBG: Re: NO! Preview TMBG: TMBG site problems? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:55:21 EST Message-ID: Ok I need help... I am a fan but haven't heard lots of stuff yet... So I need your help, I need songs with any conection to science... You know... Mammel, WDTSS and at least one more. thanks dude's and dudettes Sam, trying to take over the world... "This is where the party ends. I can't stand here listening to you and your racist friend" TMBG. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:13:23 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <399BF303.8A36410B@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists The Sun (Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) *SUPER SPANGER* wrote: > > Ok I need help... > I am a fan but haven't heard lots of stuff yet... > So I need your help, I need songs with any conection to science... > You know... Mammel, WDTSS and at least one more. > > thanks dude's and dudettes > > Sam, trying to take over the world... > > "This is where the party ends. > I can't stand here listening to you > and your racist friend" > TMBG. > > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:29:52 -0800 Message-ID: <-1245625106ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: "there are no posts here" Matt Brown wrote: >Seriously though, there are no posts here Seriously though, you must be joking. The number of posts have slowed down to about 5 a day but its been that way for a long time. Also, the list usually seems to slow down a little in the summer. >and the few that do come havinglittle/nothing to do with TMBG itself. That's not true at all! This list has been very on topic since the creation of the tmbg offtopic list at egroups a year ago. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:25:37 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8ngssu$2vrf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Super Spanger wrote: > Ok I need help... > I am a fan but haven't heard lots of stuff yet... Everybody has to start somewhere. > So I need your help, I need songs with any conection to science... > You know... Mammel, WDTSS and at least one more. Those are the best examples out there (except it's spelled "Mammal"). Here are some others: "Dinner Bell": Refers (albeit briefly) to Pavlov's dogs. "Cowtown": This might be a stretch, but I interpret it as being about evolution. It's as defensible as "Particle Man" anyway. Hmm, you say *any* connection to science? All right, then, here are some more possibilities. ;) "Lie Still, Little Bottle": Chemistry! "Till My Head Falls Off": Mathematics! "Birdhouse in Your Soul," "Birds Fly," "Letterbox," and "Mainstream USA": Ornithology! "Spider" and "Welcome to the Jungle": Entomology! "Snowball in Hell": Thermodynamics! "When Tornadoes Take Over the World": Meteorology! Bryce Let's get those missles ready to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE! ------------------------------ Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:42:17 -0800 Message-ID: <-1245624361ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: The good old days... refund@nmt.edu wrote: >We need...Mike Leffel! He can bring salvation (and wacky >commentary and activity) to the List once more! Please return >to us, oh glorious Mike Leffel, lest we perish in flames...or >something like that. ;0) Personally, I'd rather have a TMBG centered list instead one of miscellaneous wackiness. Back when I was still reading the off topic list, he was posting there. Do a search for tmbgofftopic at egroups.com and check it out. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <6c.237d12f.26cd537f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:41:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists In a message dated 8/17/00 10:32:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Bryceman writes: << Hmm, you say *any* connection to science? All right, then, here are some more possibilities. ;) >> You forgot an obvious one. "For Science"! "Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" Dr. Rick Worm Chief of Surgical Staff The Worm Clinic Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:47:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists There is/was a new song on DAS (the call-in one, not the online version) about meteorites that will presumably be on No! Kay ------------------------------ Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:54:58 -0800 Message-ID: <-1245623600ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists *SUPER SPANGER* wrote: >Ok I need help... >I am a fan but haven't heard lots of stuff yet... >So I need your help, I need songs with any conection to science... >You know... Mammel, WDTSS and at least one more. > >thanks dude's and dudettes How about the Brave New World collection from ABC TV's "Nightline"? Those are very science based. They haven't been released on CD but I think you can get MP3s of them at twistid.com -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008179665.AA966524236@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:57:13 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists I saw on TMBG.org's discography one of Their (They's?) many compilations of B sides and random obscurities. It had a song called "For Science" on it. Don't believe it's one I've ever heard. Anybody know it? Does it, in fact, have anything to do with science? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008179665.AA966524687@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:04:42 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... Bongo sez: > Personally, I'd rather have a TMBG centered list instead one of >miscellaneous wackiness. Back when I was still reading the off topic list, >he was posting there. Do a search for tmbgofftopic at egroups.com and >check it out. The day TMBG and miscellaneous wackiness become mutually exclusive is the day a cow ceases to be a friend to me. The day Spider ceases to be our hero. The day Triangle Man stops hating Particle Man, or Person Man, or Universe Man, for that matter. The day we all stop wanting a rock to wind a string around. Nuff said Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:05:21 -0400 Message-ID: For Science is on Misc. T as well.. Its about aliens coming... "I will date the girl from Venus. Flowers die and will I. Yes I will date the girl from Venus. FOR SCIENCE" Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 10:57 AM Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists > I saw on TMBG.org's discography one of Their (They's?) many compilations of B > sides and random obscurities. It had a song called "For Science" on it. Don't > believe it's one I've ever heard. Anybody know it? Does it, in fact, have > anything to do with science? > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:37:34 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <8nh0co$jd$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Leave us not forget "See The Constellation" -- Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:40:47 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8nh19s$107$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The good old days... Karin: > The day TMBG and miscellaneous wackiness > become mutually exclusive is the day a cow > ceases to be a friend to me. The day Spider > ceases to be our hero. The day Triangle Man > stops hating Particle Man, or Person Man, or > Universe Man, for that matter. The day we all > stop wanting a rock to wind a string around. The day Marvin Gaye and Phil Uchs get divorced. Bryce They'll need a crane. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008179665.AA966528764@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:12:42 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... Damn Straight..... ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: The good old days... Author: "Bryce" Date: 8/17/00 11:40 AM Karin: > The day TMBG and miscellaneous wackiness > become mutually exclusive is the day a cow > ceases to be a friend to me. The day Spider > ceases to be our hero. The day Triangle Man > stops hating Particle Man, or Person Man, or > Universe Man, for that matter. The day we all > stop wanting a rock to wind a string around. The day Marvin Gaye and Phil Uchs get divorced. Bryce They'll need a crane. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:48:33 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Cabbagetown? Message-ID: <20000817124833.A3010@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets It's a real place.... http://www.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/arts/08/16/cabbagetown/index.html -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:44:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: Darkened Corridors Did anybody ever find out who sang Darkened Corridors(one of the fingertips)? If not, I'm pretty sure it was Linnell, because I was just listening to Hall of Mayors(Linnel) and he sings in that voice at one point of the song.... Harlan Muir TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: 17 Aug 2000 14:53:51 -0800 Message-ID: <-1245598467ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... karinh@sterl.com wrote: >The day TMBG and miscellaneous wackiness become mutually exclusive is the day a >cow ceases to be a friend to me. The day Spider ceases to be our hero. The day >Triangle Man stops hating Particle Man, or Person Man, or Universe Man, for that >matter. The day we all stop wanting a rock to wind a string around. >Nuff said I suppose it depends on what your definition of wacky is. It bugs me when I here any of the following words used to describe TMBG: wacky goofy zany novelty comedy comedic ...and many others. In fact the Johns themselves said that they don't like to have their music described as "quirky". I don't think quirky is that bad. At least it doesn't imply they are musical stand up comedians. Its seems that there's a lot of people, even fans, who can't make a distinction between TMBG and Weird Al or Tiny Tim or the guy who did "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" for example. Then again, you can call them waht you want as long as you keep buying there stuff. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008179665.AA966549683@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:01:20 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... Okay, point taken. Except for "quirky". Even if They don't like the word, they're still quirky. Just meaning going off on tangents that most people don't, doing things their own way. How about "whimsical"? Whimsey is in short supply these days, They better not have a problem with whimsey. They just better not, that's all I have to say..... And I mean it. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: The good old days... Author: Bongo Date: 08/17/00 2:53 PM karinh@sterl.com wrote: >The day TMBG and miscellaneous wackiness become mutually exclusive is the day a >cow ceases to be a friend to me. The day Spider ceases to be our hero. The day >Triangle Man stops hating Particle Man, or Person Man, or Universe Man, for that >matter. The day we all stop wanting a rock to wind a string around. >Nuff said I suppose it depends on what your definition of wacky is. It bugs me when I here any of the following words used to describe TMBG: wacky goofy zany novelty comedy comedic ...and many others. In fact the Johns themselves said that they don't like to have their music described as "quirky". I don't think quirky is that bad. At least it doesn't imply they are musical stand up comedians. Its seems that there's a lot of people, even fans, who can't make a distinction between TMBG and Weird Al or Tiny Tim or the guy who did "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" for example. Then again, you can call them waht you want as long as you keep buying there stuff. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Matt Brown" Subject: TMBG: NO! Preview Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:22:07 EDT Message-ID: Quick, quick drop everything you're doing and goto TMBG.COM and click on album preview. There aer shockwave games and song previews. NOW! --Matt ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Matt Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: NO! Preview Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:24:27 EDT Message-ID: They took it down now, it was there earlier I swear. --Matt >From: "Matt Brown" >Reply-To: "Matt Brown" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: NO! Preview >Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:22:07 EDT > >Quick, quick drop everything you're doing and goto TMBG.COM and click on >album preview. There aer shockwave games and song previews. NOW! > >--Matt >________________________________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Matt Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: NO! Preview Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:26:31 EDT Message-ID: NO, drop that one too. Goto tmbg.com/no and it still works! BTW, sorry about the repeat msgs. --Matt >From: "Matt Brown" >Reply-To: "Matt Brown" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: NO! Preview >Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:22:07 EDT > >Quick, quick drop everything you're doing and goto TMBG.COM and click on >album preview. There aer shockwave games and song previews. NOW! > >--Matt >________________________________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: "there are no posts here" Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:25:27 GMT Message-ID: Bongo: >Matt Brown wrote: > > >Seriously though, there are no posts here > > Seriously though, you must be joking. The number of posts have slowed >down to about 5 a day but its been that way for a long time. How long has it been like that, anyway? > >and the few that do come havinglittle/nothing to do with TMBG itself. > > That's not true at all! This list has been very on topic since the >creation of the tmbg offtopic list at egroups a year ago. Yeah, but "on-topic" doesn't equal "interesting." I'd rather see a good off-topic discussion than some of the stuff that people consider "on-topic." Besides, who's to decide what's on-topic and what's not? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:27:29 GMT Message-ID: Bryce: >"Till My Head Falls Off": Mathematics! I read a paper that connected TMBG to mathematics, and "Till My Head Falls Off" was one of the examples used. I think it was written by former list member Sarah Hurd, actually. If I can find it again, maybe I'll post the link. >"When Tornadoes Take Over the World": Meteorology! What about that shooting star song? That's about meteorology! -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The good old days... Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:30:34 GMT Message-ID: Bongo: >refund@nmt.edu wrote: > >We need...Mike Leffel! He can bring salvation (and wacky > >commentary and activity) to the List once more! Please return > >to us, oh glorious Mike Leffel, lest we perish in flames...or > >something like that. ;0) > > Personally, I'd rather have a TMBG centered list instead one of >miscellaneous wackiness. Back when I was still reading the off topic list, >he was posting there. Do a search for tmbgofftopic at egroups.com and check >it out. Mike isn't posting there anymore; he left after a period in which he found several of the posts to hit too close to home, and, although such posts are no longer common, he has not returned. While I'd like to see Leffel return to either list, I would have to admit that he probably fit in better on the off-topic one (not to mention that he wasn't flamed as much there). -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:31:46 GMT Message-ID: Kay: >There is/was a new song on DAS (the call-in one, not the online version) >about meteorites that will presumably be on No! That's a cool song. It sort of reminds me of "Why Does The Sun Shine?", although, unlike that one, it's the Johns' original work. (I would assume it is, anyway.) -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: Re: They might be ...scientists Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:33:24 GMT Message-ID: Chrissy Rockwell: >For Science is on Misc. T as well.. Its about aliens coming... "I will date >the girl from Venus. Flowers die and will I. Yes I will date the girl from >Venus. FOR SCIENCE" And it doesn't really have anything to do with science. I believe the Johns described it as "a mini rock opera with a science fiction theme." > > I saw on TMBG.org's discography one of Their (They's?) many compilations >of B > > sides and random obscurities. It had a song called "For Science" on it. >Don't > > believe it's one I've ever heard. Anybody know it? Does it, in fact, >have > > anything to do with science? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <34.94debb1.26cde00c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:40:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The good old days... > The day Marvin Gaye and Phil Uchs get divorced. ..The day you turn around and the skull just isn't there...? Lydia Trying so hard to be cool since 1837 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:13:08 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <399C9BB4.53B2091A@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: NO! Preview Yeah but "now" is like, 4 and a half hours after you posted your message. (Does that make sense to anyone?) -acs Matt Brown wrote: > > Quick, quick drop everything you're doing and goto TMBG.COM and click on > album preview. There aer shockwave games and song previews. NOW! > > --Matt > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Matt Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! Preview Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:27:43 EDT Message-ID: I remember sending all them within 5 mintues of each other. --Matt >From: Adrienne Spruill >Reply-To: Adrienne Spruill >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: NO! Preview >Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:13:08 -0400 > >Yeah but "now" is like, 4 and a half hours after you posted your >message. (Does that make sense to anyone?) >-acs > >Matt Brown wrote: > > > > Quick, quick drop everything you're doing and goto TMBG.COM and click on > > album preview. There aer shockwave games and song previews. NOW! > > > > --Matt > > ________________________________________________________________________ > > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <8e.968fb31.26ce240b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:30:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG site problems? Does anyone else have problems while trying to watch a movie at tmbg.com? Mine never play ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-18 ******************************