Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 26 Saturday, 26 August 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: I have returned! Re:TMBG: I have returned! Re: TMBG: I have returned! TMBG: I have returned! TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Re: TMBG: I have returned! Re: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Re: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Re: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Re: TMBG: For those of you who live in the Northwest... TMBG: Info from the chat... Re: TMBG: For those of you who live in the Northwest... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:47:52 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: I have returned! Message-ID: <24840-39A61698-5242@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> What up, homie G's? I'm back from my vacation in beautiful Jefferson City, Missouri (no, seriously... it is pretty nice. Especially compared to California). I hope I didn't miss anything too important. Any interesting TMBG related news occur while I was gone? Any big flame wars on the list? I know there was some chat yesterday that I missed out on. That's alright, though. Even if I was here, I wouldn't have been able to participate. So, if someone would be so kind as to fill me in on the events that went down in the past 2 weeks or so, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008259672.AA967210617@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:36:51 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: I have returned! Dexter sez: >I'm back from my vacation in beautiful Jefferson City, Missouri (no, seriously... it is pretty nice. Especially compared to California). Yeah, compared to California, MO, maybe. (About 7 miles down the highway from Jeff. City.) And what's up with the little round metal grain silos with the curtains in the windows? Silo, sweet silo? But you're right, it is pretty nice. Especially compared to NE Suburbia. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: I have returned! Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:09:41 GMT Message-ID: Dexter: >I hope I didn't miss anything too important. Any interesting TMBG >related news occur while I was gone? Any big flame wars on the list? Well, a new album came out the other day. It's called "Careless Santa's Life Savings," and it features the new remix of "Spitting Contest." Dan Hickey left the band after an incident with an exploding glockenspiel. (I think Flansburgh bought it from the Acme company.) There was an incredible flame war over whether John Linnell looked better with long or short hair, and half the list perished in an orgy of blood and gore (not Al). Oh, and Dan Miller trimmed his fingernails. Is that enough news for you? >I know there was some chat yesterday that I missed out on. That's >alright, though. Even if I was here, I wouldn't have been able to >participate. I wasn't able to participate either, and probably wouldn't have anyway. I'm not a fan of streaming audio, and I presume that such "technology" was used for the chat. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:51:44 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: I have returned! Message-ID: <10683-39A69610-793@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> What up, homie G's? I'm back from my vacation in beautiful Jefferson City, Missouri (no, seriously... it is pretty nice. Especially compared to California). I hope I didn't miss anything too important. Any interesting TMBG related news occur while I was gone? Any big flame wars on the list? I know there was some chat yesterday that I missed out on. That's alright, though. Even if I was here, I wouldn't have been able to participate. So, if someone would be so kind as to fill me in on the events that went down in the past 2 weeks or so, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:01:51 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <8o64p8$2lou$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Can no one give us even a brief description of what was discussed during the chat, particularly regarding new releases and such? Pretty please? -- Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. Yer Pal Paul wrote in message <8o3ml6$1j9p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>... >Ahoy, > >What a god-awful time to schedule a chat! I certainly cannot make it, not >unlike many others as I understand it. So a plea to thee, my fair chatters. >Someone please be so kind as to capture John and Johns' responses (be it >text or sound files) and maketh them available for all to enjoy! > >-- >Yer Pal Paul >Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. > > ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:57:30 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: I have returned! Message-ID: <10683-39A6976A-806@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Whoa, hey! Sorry guys. I don't know why that was sent twice (and hours apart from each other). Anyway, thanks for the news, Nathan. I'll have to keep my eye out for that new album. Oh, and I kid in my school's band was killed in a tragic exploding glockenspiel accident once. I'm just glad that Dan made it out alive. Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <29.965604a.26d81840@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:43:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Not a whole lot was discussed. Honestly, the most exciting part of the chat was when they asked my question first. "will you be putting out a song book?". I once again got to hear someone say "Mrbean...uh...forty,...three?" over the internet in a confused manner, but unfortunately it wasn't the Johns. Instead, it was that sassy, smooth-operator sounding moderator. The important part of this story though is that they hope to release some sort of song book, maybe on the internet or distributed as MIDI files via CD. I didn't understand why that was a good idea...can someone explain? I guess as far as news go, there wasn't a whole lot either. The small amount of news we did receive was interesting however. No! will not be released until at least 2001, hopefully Christmas season or Spring, and the MITM Soundtrack will be out the last week of October. It sounds like Boss Of Me will be released as a single AND a video which MTV, vh1, and The Box can completely ignore. We also learned that Flansburgh doesn't feel comftorable talking about the names of his cats, understandably. He has a house in the catskills (im sure thats misspelled) where, at some point in time, he fell asleep watching the South Park Movie, but not before he observed that the songs in the movie were pretty damn good. Like always, Linnell didn't talk much. Well, that's about it. Anyone wanna fill in the spots where I was kicked offline...twice! Later, Jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01c00ec8$4793f1e0$be9efea9@jbl010.acns.nwu.edu> From: "Jamie Lipton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:11:30 -0500 The word on MIDI files - They Johns said there are two reasons for Their fans to demand a songbook - lyrics and music. The lyrics are widely available on the web. The music could be distributed via MIDI files, which can be downloaded, opened in your choice of notation program, and printed out. At least, I assume this is what the Johns were getting at. MIDI files can also be played, but they'd just sound like crappy versions of Their songs with no vocals. There you have it. -Jamie BTW, for those of you who missed the chat, they definitely said it would be available somewhere on the Yahoo site as a sound file. ------------------------------ From: Furfr@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:20:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Someone please log tonight's chat! Message-ID: <8.97bc5f3.26d820f3@aol.com> The Southpark discussion and the whole cat thing stood out in my mind, too. Also, only some will care about this, but another Bowery series of Thursday night possibly themed shows will take place in November. Tickets are available now at www.ticketweb.com. Oh, and my favorite piece of information: What Is Everyone Staring At? has been completely torn apart and reconstructed into something for the No! album. I really, really didn't like that moderator. She took up so much time with her "hmmm...wow...we have soooo many questions here...which one should we pick?" I thought the last voice chat with cahoots when they chose the questions themselves was so much better. furfr ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Message-ID: <71.629d4b2.26d871a6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:04:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: For those of you who live in the Northwest... Hey!! Why is this list only for those in the Northwest! How about us poor souls down in the south east?! Or how about those not even in this country?! BTW, this is not a flame or anything, I'm not really that upset, don't take offense or anything. But we here in the South also know what it feels like not to be able to see Them very often if at all! At least you can drive from one state to another in a rather short period of time. I live down in Miami and just to get out of this friggin long state of Florida it takes like eight hours or something! ok i've said my peace.. shoulda saved it for your new list, heh? back to my lurking.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000826014320.23790.qmail@web1403.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 18:43:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Cowley Subject: TMBG: Info from the chat... Hey all, Missed the chat. Any word on the release of the albums (Next one and Kid's one) and the Malcolm in the Middle Soundtrack? Thanks, Rob ===== "I love the world and if I have to sue for custody, I'll sue for custody." __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003c01c00efd$9e9d5640$c5897cce@lanio> From: "Lani O." Subject: Re: TMBG: For those of you who live in the Northwest... Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 18:33:19 -0700 We almost had something like this before, but it didn't quite get to the point of being an actual list. Just a bunch of addresses to which we'd send grumblings and such. Which I guess is a list. But a different sort of list. Cleaner, but with a unique smell. Anyway, I'd better go join the list. No, the other one. Lani O. ~There's a place for those who love their poetry -- It's just across from the sign that says "Pros only."~ -TMBG www.geocities.com/~abutterfly Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? -----Original Message----- From: Kelly Mendenhall To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, August 24, 2000 1:32 PM Subject: TMBG: For those of you who live in the Northwest... >Hiya folks! > >My friend Benn and I decided it was about time someone addressed the need >for a mailing list for us poor unfortunate souls who live in the TMBG >Deprived Northwest region of the country. You see, I figure we could do all >our moaning and groaning about how we never get to see Them on our list and >save everyone else the trouble of having to listen. Plus!! Whenever they do >happen to come around we could coordinate better and go catch the show en >masse..or whatever. Maybe sometime in the future we'll have a bigarsed >gathering and we could get to know the other TMBG fans in our area better. > >The list itself is open, talk about whatever comes to mind! So anyway..I'll >stop rambling now and give out the link... >http://www.egroups.com/group/tmbgNW > >Don't Kill Me! >Kelly > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-26 ******************************