Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 30 Wednesday, 30 August 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: Missouri/Sasnak Re[2]: TMBG: Missouri TMBG: give 'em hell, johns (Mo MO Con) Re:TMBG: give 'em hell, johns (Mo MO Con) TMBG: (no subject) Re: TMBG: Missouri TMBG: Onions TMBG: TEST (no TheyCon) TMBG: They! Might! Be! A good investment!? Re: TMBG: Missouri Re: TMBG: Missouri TMBG: TMBG in the Onion TMBG: TMBG in this week's Onion Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "I've open sourced my pants" Subject: TMBG: RE: Missouri/Sasnak Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:53:38 GMT Message-ID: I live in Bonner Springs, on the Kansas Side of Kansas City. Liebe, Livre, Libre, Bjorky _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008299675.AA967556729@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:45:23 -0400 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Missouri Dr Saxx sez: >I was born in Ft. Leanordwood< Or possibly Ft Leonardwood? But still, they're coming out of the woodwork - - It's like 6 degrees of the Show Me State. I bet if we dig deep enough, everybody on this list either was born in or had family members born in, lived in or knew someone who knew someone who lived in, vacationed in, or {insert spooky music here} will die in Missouri. Or, more likely, flew over, saw on a map, or has ever heard of..... Still good coincidence buff material. Or maybe I'm just desperate for something to do besides work... Back to the salt mines Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200008291541.LAA07430@smtpsrv1.isis.unc.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:41:07 -0400 From: valis@email.unc.edu (John Lorio) Subject: TMBG: give 'em hell, johns (Mo MO Con) || But still, they're coming out of the woodwork - - It's like 6 degrees of the || Show Me State. I bet if we dig deep enough, everybody on this list either was || born in or had family members born in, lived in or knew someone who knew someone || who lived in, vacationed in, or {insert spooky music here} will die in Missouri. my aunt betty lived--and died--in rolla. lung cancer. she didn't smoke. we think her farm was on or near a Superfund site. her funeral was on the day Tricky Dick resigned. rolla not being very large, we were staying in a very small sort of motor court, kind of like a motel six with about that many rooms. there was a small b&w tv on top of a chest of drawers, and we all sat there on the bed and watched richard milhouse van houten "i am not a crook" nixon resign, and give his job to a doughy white guy (MSTCon) who played football at Michigan (the tank the fishes are in) and fell down airplane ramps. i will vividly remember that moment for the rest of my life. i mean, Tricky Dick resigning, not Ford falling down airplane ramps. although i remember that too. and the Killer Rabbit attacking jimmy cahtah. ptang, ptang, indeed. anyway, the next day we went to see st. looee, because, well, we were in the neighborhood. we went to the A-B brewery, where (when my mom wasn't looking) they let me have a tiny little plastic cup of Bud. didn't get to see eero's arch, though, or the cards. and thence back home to La Louisiane. missouri. it's a Giant state. j :) <---his 70s mark (BigStarCon. see?--more missouri!) ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0008299675.AA967567334@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:42:06 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: give 'em hell, johns (Mo MO Con) I remember the year I went to Rolla Buried my aunt Betty, & stayed in a motel. Somebody put the President on top of the chest of drawers Wasn't too much later, the football player fell. I remember the President resigning When we went to St Louis & drank a little Bud Then came the attack of the Fluffy Killer Rabbit By then I was back in the Louisiana mud. Karin H ** FREE THE MOTEL 6 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: give 'em hell, johns (Mo MO Con) Author: Date: 8/29/00 11:41 AM my aunt betty lived--and died--in rolla. lung cancer. she didn't smoke. we think her farm was on or near a Superfund site. her funeral was on the day Tricky Dick resigned. rolla not being very large, we were staying in a very small sort of motor court, kind of like a motel six with about that many rooms. there was a small b&w tv on top of a chest of drawers, and we all sat there on the bed and watched richard milhouse van houten "i am not a crook" nixon resign, and give his job to a doughy white guy (MSTCon) who played football at Michigan (the tank the fishes are in) and fell down airplane ramps. i will vividly remember that moment for the rest of my life. i mean, Tricky Dick resigning, not Ford falling down airplane ramps. although i remember that too. and the Killer Rabbit attacking jimmy cahtah. ptang, ptang, indeed. anyway, the next day we went to see st. looee, because, well, we were in the neighborhood. we went to the A-B brewery, where (when my mom wasn't looking) they let me have a tiny little plastic cup of Bud. didn't get to see eero's arch, though, or the cards. and thence back home to La Louisiane. missouri. it's a Giant state. j :) <---his 70s mark (BigStarCon. see?--more missouri!) ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <9e.90588fe.26dd7732@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:29:38 EDT Subject: TMBG: (no subject) >I remember the year I went to Rolla >Buried my aunt Betty, & stayed in a motel. >Somebody put the President on top of the chest of drawers >Wasn't too much later, the football player fell. >I remember the President resigning >When we went to St Louis & drank a little Bud >Then came the attack of the Fluffy Killer Rabbit >By then I was back in the Louisiana mud. Karin H >** FREE THE MOTEL 6 ** The show-me-state will show the way when bad motels bring you down DrSaxx ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39AC3226.2C579AE7@coin.org> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:59:02 -0500 From: Michael Procter Subject: Re: TMBG: Missouri karinh@sterl.com wrote: > > > But still, they're coming out of the woodwork - - It's like 6 degrees of the > Show Me State. I bet if we dig deep enough, everybody on this list either was > born in or had family members born in, lived in or knew someone who knew someone > who lived in, vacationed in, or {insert spooky music here} will die in Missouri. > I suppose you can add me to the list of coincidences -- I've lived in Columbia, MO since 1965. I've seem Them perform once at Streetside Records (they opened at Hearnes for Hootie and the Blowfish on that trip), once at the Blue Note, and once at the Missouri Theater. My closest encounter was the day after one concert when I saw Flansburgh shopping at Crazy Music as I went in for my guitar lesson. I forget what he bought, though it was soon after They were robbed and had to buy all new instruments, so I suppose it had something to do with that. -- Michael Procter mprocter@coin.org ------------------------------ From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: Onions Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:03:24 EDT Message-ID: I've never been to Missouri. But I did read about the Johns in The Onion this week - www.theonion.com For those of you who have never read it, The Onion is a satirical newspaper and in this particular article they poke fun at Them for being too boring. Go read it! **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200008292307.TAA08585@smtpsrv1.isis.unc.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:07:08 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) From: valis@email.unc.edu (John Lorio) Subject: TMBG: TEST (no TheyCon) test (still no TheyCon) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200008292347.TAA13828@smtpsrv1.isis.unc.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:47:27 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) From: valis@email.unc.edu (John Lorio) Subject: TMBG: They! Might! Be! A good investment!? from Fallnet, The Source Of All Knowledge . . . || I have come across the internet site called popex where you buy and sell || shares in your favourite pop and rock bands including the one and only, the || Fall!. Each person who joins up (it's free!) gets a virtual #5000 to || invest. The bands share prices go up and down according to how many people || buy or sell their shares. Every Friday, the dividends are paid out, these || are based on the bands' chart position, new releases, gossip, reviews, gigs || and people's own suggestions. It's all a bit of a laugh, but it can get a || bit addictive trying to make more money than everybody else.Visit this link || to join up and play popex. || http://www.popex.com/cgi-bin/popEx.cgi?Mentor=23065 i'm not sure how it works yet--i just signed up myself--but it looks interesting, if a bit shiny and clunky to use, and They are NOT on the exchange. so once i figure out how to correct this injustice and get the Johns on the exchange, we can start working on making Them the most insanely virtually profitable band on earth. as for the piece of mail itself, i think it's a "your band name here" spam from popex, because any proper post to Fallnet would a. refer to the band as The Mighty Fall (that is, Mark E. Smith), or simply refer to MES himself and ignore the rest of the band altogether, and b. because it's entirely too nice to have been written by an actual Fallnetter, and contains no vitriolic slagging, or incomprehensible british slang. and yes, i guarantee you that if you tell anyone that your two favorite bands are The Fall and They, his/her head will explode (ScannerCon!). okay, gotta go home now. this is my last piece of mail to the list from my soon-to-be-old address. e you tomorrow. j :) <---TMBG Ambassador to Acadiana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39AC4B9F.4C69@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:26:04 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Missouri Continuing the line of "extremely important Missouri connections", my best friend in middle school grew up nearby Jefferson City (I forget the actual town name), and I am planning on moving to St. Louis after I graduate. Should these connections be noted to Mr. Linnell as he searches for lyrics to the unfinished state song? It's something that hasn't been done in a state song before, and it would make a pretty cool song. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39AC4D31.2943@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:54:24 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Missouri Continuing the line of "extremely important Missouri connections", my best friend in middle school grew up nearby Jefferson City (I forget the actual town name), and I am planning on moving to St. Louis after I graduate. Should these connections be noted to Mr. Linnell as he searches for lyrics to the unfinished state song? It's something that hasn't been done in a state song before, and it would make a pretty cool song. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in the Onion Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:51:45 GMT Message-ID: The Onion's writers have a penchant for repeat references, and TMBG have shown up several times, frequently coupled with "Mystery Science Theater 3000" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (before the latter succumbed to the Kevin Williamson school of TV writing). My favorite one was an article mocking people's secrecy over their usually very silly passwords. It was about a man who tells all his coworkers that he'd changed his AOL password, and the mystery of what his new password is is treated as major world news, in typical Onion fashion. It closes with a line to the tune of "Although no one knows exactly what his new password is, many suspect it has something to do with 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer,' 'Mystery Science Theater 3000,' or They Might Be Giants." _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "I've open sourced my pants" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in this week's Onion Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:02:02 GMT Message-ID: Posted in this weeks edition of The Onion Liebe, Livre, Libre, Bjorky ------ They Might Be Giants Behind The Music Episode Lacks Sex, Drugs NEW YORK--The new They Might Be Giants episode of VH1's Behind The Music is devoid of sex and drugs, sources reported Monday. "Man, we haven't had that much trouble finding something juicy since the 'Weird Al' episode," VH1 senior vice-president Bill Flanagan said. "We can almost always hit paydirt with a band's groupies, but in They Might Be Giants' case, they're all 31-year-old computer programmers." The They Might Be Giants episode largely focused on keyboardist/accordionist John Linnell's harrowing early-'90s addiction to Tetris. _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-30 ******************************