Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 7 Monday, 7 August 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie TMBG: John Clones for movies Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie TMBG: Re: John Clones for movies TMBG: More casting fun... TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <007201bfff6c$440cbea0$821a99ce@aah1084access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 02:04:53 -0400 >A little game for the list. If there were a TMBG movie (maybe a miniseries, I >don't know. just don't ask), who would you have play the Johns? I nominate >Chris Kattan of Saturday Night Live to play Linnell, and Bruce McCulloch of >Kids in the Hall to play Flansburgh. I know height and size isn't quite >right, but they look right to me. I've thought about this before, and I think I'd go with Dan Akroyd for Flans and Steve Buschemi as Linnell. Both suggestions have been mentioned on the list before, and now I can't see anyone else in the roles. Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <42.8fdf322.26be5ae4@aol.com> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 02:08:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Just thought of someone for Linnell...William H. Macy. The guy from Fargo, Magnolia, Mystery Men...What do ya think? Jon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 02:04:13 -0700 From: Kris Maxwell Subject: TMBG: John Clones for movies Message-id: <0FYU00CL7ZC3F5@vega.utulsa.edu> Been lurkig forever, but have some suggestions for Linnell's doppleganger.... 1. Steve Buscemi... has the whole teeth thing going for him, and is skinny 2. Harry Connick Jr. - as little as I like this guy, he looks eerily like our mr Linnell when he wears a turtleneck... I saw him on Letterman once and though he looked like Linnell's evil twin.... 3. Edward Norton- looks nothing like Linnell, but could probably convince us he was him because he is such a stellar performer. -The Denominator Kristen Maxwell www.personal.utulsa.edu/~kristen-maxwell/ kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu 918.836.8535 ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (ASTROGIMP) Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 02:09:22 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Message-ID: <17861-398D2B42-5418@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> If it's a story of their lives, I'd have myself play a young Flansburgh. I think I'd fit that role. Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (ASTROGIMP) Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 02:11:24 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Message-ID: <17869-398D2BBC-4270@storefull-244.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Oh! Just another thought: I think that Dustin Hoffman would make a good Dan Hickey. Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 15:22:35 GMT Message-ID: > >Just thought of someone for Linnell...William H. Macy. The guy from Fargo, >Magnolia, Mystery Men...What do ya think? > > Jon William H. Macy is quickly rising up my favorite actors list, but as Linnell? Personality-wise, I think they're very similar. I could see Linnell playing many of his roles. But Macy has this fireman-like figure. At least I think he does. He's very average-American-looking, while everything about Linnell is so distinctly unaverage. I can't see anyone trying to play him, but I liked the suggestions of Steve Buscemi and David Spade. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 11:53:49 EDT Message-ID: I'm gonna put this little discussion to bed right now. Two words- WAYANS BROTHERS. 'Nuff Said. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 10:52:24 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8mk1i6$3j6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: John Clones for movies "Kris Maxwell" wrote in message news:0FYU00CL7ZC3F5@vega.utulsa.edu... > Been lurkig forever, but have some suggestions for Linnell's > doppleganger.... > > 1. Steve Buscemi... has the whole teeth thing going for him, and is > skinny > > 2. Harry Connick Jr. - as little as I like this guy, he looks eerily like > our mr Linnell when he wears a turtleneck... I saw him on > Letterman once and though he looked like Linnell's evil twin.... > > 3. Edward Norton- looks nothing like Linnell, but could probably > convince us he was him because he is such a stellar performer. > > > -The Denominator > > > Kristen Maxwell > www.personal.utulsa.edu/~kristen-maxwell/ > kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu > 918.836.8535 You know, oddly enough, I'd have Edward Norton play Linnell, and Brad Pitt play Flansburgh. Then, at the end, it turns out They Might Be Giants never existed. They were both extensions of the personality of Trent Reznor, as played by some bum off the street. Seems he couldn't get away from the nagging feeling that his music stank, so he invented a clever pop duo. Watch for interesting flashback shots of how Spider was REALLY performed. Rated R for "wierd crap, man." Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: More casting fun... Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 16:16:56 GMT Message-ID: How about this...who would you cast as various TMBG character, if for some reason they were included in this bio-pic. (Maybe it's a Terry Gilliam picture.) Rabid Child - I always thought the girl from Problem Child 2 looked just like she could stay at home, talking on her CB, but unfortunately, I think she's a little too old now. As much as I hate to say it, that damned Pepsi girl is coming to mind pretty strongly... Ana Ng - Not that we'd ever see her, but if you've ever seen Rashomon, the girl in that IS Ana Ng, I think. I realize that this is already becoming an impossible cast, since I think that movie was made before the Johns were born, but hey. I guess I'll have to go with Lucy Liu, but I'm not happy about it. Particle Man - Verne "Mini-Me" Troyer. (Sorry about that. Feel free to hit me.) Triangle Man - Assuming Robert Mitchum doesn't have the role in the bag, I'm gonna go with Ben Affleck. Triangle Man seems obnoxious, and so does Affleck. Universe Man - George Wendt. He seems like such a happy fellow. Person Man - Ben Stiller. Chess Piece Face - Randy Quaid. He's the master at being a menace without even knowing it, the proof being the Vacation movies. Who better to deface all someone knows with the facts in his life? The Big Duluth - John Goodman. No one could do a better job of saying "Rabbit ears" to a small child. Hotel Detective (original) - Frances McDormand or Camryn Manheim. Hotel Detective (1994) - Julianne Moore. Probably my current favorite actress. Lost World aside, she's doing some awesome things. I think she's sort of creepy, and this is a pretty creepy song. Dog Killed By Youth Culture - I realize that Taco Bell chihuahua-bashing is a dying sport, but come on, this would be the most perfect role for it. Racist Friend - Rodney Dangerfield Exquisite Dead Guy - As much as I want to say Terry Kiser of Weekend at Bernie's fame, I'll resist. Frosty the Supervisor - Kevin Spacey. One I just always picture, probably because of the movie Swimming With Sharks. Mr. DJ - Jeffrey Jones, the principal from Ferris Bueller, and the guy in every Tim Burton movie ever made. He seems to betray someone in every movie he's been in. James Ensor - Johnny Depp. James K. Polk - Gary Sinise. And of course, XTC, Adam Ant, and Alice Cooper can all appear as themselves. Feel free to recast or add on. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000807014158.5774.qmail@web311.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:41:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Anne Heidemann Subject: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Jon (MrBean43@aol.com) wrote: > So does anyone else know someone that looks > eerily similar to one of the > Johns (or even those other dudes, the Dans?) One year when I was in college marching band, there were *two* trombone players who resembled Linnell. Seventh heaven, needless to say. One of them more closely resembled him than the other, but they were both close. Somewhat relatedly, and this may have already been mentioned (as I just joined the list, forgive me if it's old news), has anyone read _Dream World_, a newish novel put out by MTV's imprint? It's got a main character modeled after Linnell, and the heroine is sort of obsessed with Linnell's arms. A good (not great but enjoyable) read. Anne ===== ****************************************************** Anne Heidemann WordGrrl7@yahoo.com ICQ#: 28531435 fax: (603) 807-5866 http://www.angelfire.com/mi/anneland ******************************************************* __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-7 *****************************