Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #32-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 32, Number 8 Tuesday, 8 August 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: More casting fun... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 TMBG: Live!! New York City Re: TMBG: Live!! New York City Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Re: TMBG: Re: More casting fun... Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 Re: TMBG: Re: SPIN article TMBG: _Dream World_ TMBG: Re: _Dream World_ Re: TMBG: Live!! New York City (none) TMBG: So who won the Puppet Heads? Re: TMBG: So who won the Puppet Heads? TMBG: NY concert, prospect park??? Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity (Tenacious D) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:47:39 -0500 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <8mmi4q$10tj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: More casting fun... "John Ferrer" wrote in message news:F1490yki4jsGvs0Qzfu00000ab9@hotmail.com... > How about this...who would you cast as various TMBG character, if for some > reason they were included in this bio-pic. (Maybe it's a Terry Gilliam > picture.) > > Rabid Child - I always thought the girl from Problem Child 2 looked just > like she could stay at home, talking on her CB, but unfortunately, I think > she's a little too old now. As much as I hate to say it, that damned Pepsi > girl is coming to mind pretty strongly... > > Ana Ng - Not that we'd ever see her, but if you've ever seen Rashomon, the > girl in that IS Ana Ng, I think. I realize that this is already becoming an > impossible cast, since I think that movie was made before the Johns were > born, but hey. I guess I'll have to go with Lucy Liu, but I'm not happy > about it. > > Particle Man - Verne "Mini-Me" Troyer. (Sorry about that. Feel free to hit > me.) > > Triangle Man - Assuming Robert Mitchum doesn't have the role in the bag, I'm > gonna go with Ben Affleck. Triangle Man seems obnoxious, and so does > Affleck. > > Universe Man - George Wendt. He seems like such a happy fellow. > > Person Man - Ben Stiller. > > Chess Piece Face - Randy Quaid. He's the master at being a menace without > even knowing it, the proof being the Vacation movies. Who better to deface > all someone knows with the facts in his life? > > The Big Duluth - John Goodman. No one could do a better job of saying > "Rabbit ears" to a small child. > > Hotel Detective (original) - Frances McDormand or Camryn Manheim. > > Hotel Detective (1994) - Julianne Moore. Probably my current favorite > actress. Lost World aside, she's doing some awesome things. I think she's > sort of creepy, and this is a pretty creepy song. > > Dog Killed By Youth Culture - I realize that Taco Bell chihuahua-bashing is > a dying sport, but come on, this would be the most perfect role for it. > > Racist Friend - Rodney Dangerfield > > Exquisite Dead Guy - As much as I want to say Terry Kiser of Weekend at > Bernie's fame, I'll resist. > > Frosty the Supervisor - Kevin Spacey. One I just always picture, probably > because of the movie Swimming With Sharks. > > Mr. DJ - Jeffrey Jones, the principal from Ferris Bueller, and the guy in > every Tim Burton movie ever made. He seems to betray someone in every movie > he's been in. > > James Ensor - Johnny Depp. > > James K. Polk - Gary Sinise. > > And of course, XTC, Adam Ant, and Alice Cooper can all appear as themselves. > > Feel free to recast or add on. > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com > Mighty Zombie Talkin' of Some Love and Posterity - Andre the Giant. Rich Man-Bill Gates Poor Man-that guy who staged Woodstock. What's his name? the President-the President(whoever is current when the movie is released.) the Ladies-Robin Goldwasser and Linnell's wife. What was her name, Linda? Folk Family - all roles played by Jeff Foxworthy and edited together. Flansburgh's Little Girl - one of the Olsen twins. In a highly-anticipated rewrite of the song, Flans leaves the kid at Toys R Us forever. Bellhop - Harland Williams Dumb Waiter - the monkey from Outbreak. She(as in, the Angel) - Elizabeth Hurley. I know she's playing the Devil right now, but trust me. It can work. Boat of Car Dealer - "Hap" Hazerd at Sunflower Dodge. If you lived near me, you'd know who I meant and you'd applaud. the Slob from Alienation's for the Rich - William Shatner. He can speak Esperanto fluently already. Marvin Gaye - Phil Ochs Phil Ochs - Marvin Gaye the Cow - Roseanne, though she's not a friend to me. the Pill - Alanis Morrisette. She's jagged, get it!?!? HA HA HA!!! Selma - Reba McIntyre, or however you spell it. President Johnson - George W. Bush. It's a Daily Show thing. the King of Cuba - Fidel Castro. He'd need a little persuading before working with capitalist pig-dog types like us. Martin X - Denzel Washington. He's already played X. Why not Martin, too? the Purple Brigade - some state militia. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks BTW, in some of those car commercials, they showed "Hap"'s wife. She was called "Ms. Hap" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <398ED05C.7C13D476@st.com> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:06:04 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > From: "John Ferrer" > Subject: TMBG: More casting fun... > Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 16:16:56 GMT > Message-ID: > > How about this...who would you cast as various TMBG character, if for some > reason they were included in this bio-pic. (Maybe it's a Terry Gilliam > picture.) > > Rabid Child - I always thought the girl from Problem Child 2 looked just > like she could stay at home, talking on her CB, but unfortunately, I think > she's a little too old now. As much as I hate to say it, that damned Pepsi > girl is coming to mind pretty strongly... > Ana Ng - Not that we'd ever see her, but if you've ever seen Rashomon, the > girl in that IS Ana Ng, I think. I realize that this is already becoming an > impossible cast, since I think that movie was made before the Johns were > born, but hey. I guess I'll have to go with Lucy Liu, but I'm not happy > about it. > Particle Man - Verne "Mini-Me" Troyer. (Sorry about that. Feel free to hit > me.) > Triangle Man - Assuming Robert Mitchum doesn't have the role in the bag, I'm > gonna go with Ben Affleck. Triangle Man seems obnoxious, and so does > Affleck. > Universe Man - George Wendt. He seems like such a happy fellow. > Person Man - Ben Stiller. > Chess Piece Face - Randy Quaid. He's the master at being a menace without > even knowing it, the proof being the Vacation movies. Who better to deface > all someone knows with the facts in his life? > The Big Duluth - John Goodman. No one could do a better job of saying > "Rabbit ears" to a small child. > Hotel Detective (original) - Frances McDormand or Camryn Manheim. > Hotel Detective (1994) - Julianne Moore. Probably my current favorite > actress. Lost World aside, she's doing some awesome things. I think she's > sort of creepy, and this is a pretty creepy song. > Dog Killed By Youth Culture - I realize that Taco Bell chihuahua-bashing is > a dying sport, but come on, this would be the most perfect role for it. > Racist Friend - Rodney Dangerfield > Exquisite Dead Guy - As much as I want to say Terry Kiser of Weekend at > Bernie's fame, I'll resist. > Frosty the Supervisor - Kevin Spacey. One I just always picture, probably > because of the movie Swimming With Sharks. > Mr. DJ - Jeffrey Jones, the principal from Ferris Bueller, and the guy in > every Tim Burton movie ever made. He seems to betray someone in every movie > he's been in. > James Ensor - Johnny Depp. > James K. Polk - Gary Sinise. > And of course, XTC, Adam Ant, and Alice Cooper can all appear as themselves. Great List, but you forgot "Mr. Horrible" -- who would you like to see play him? ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: MDthief@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:16:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 About the casting for the TMBG movie, i'm not sure who do justice to Flans, i guess the closest would have to be Akroyd, but Steve Buschemi really is Linnell, no questions asked. And to the person who posted about making TMBG the Wayans brothers... i really really hope you're kidding. :) ~The Queen of Gish~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:30:17 -0400 From: Wen-Po Tsai Message-ID: <398ED607.183E92E@erols.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Live!! New York City Does anyone know whether the back of the original cardboard sleeve has any art? I am thinking about buying the "bonus CD" edition that comes with John Henry and I'm wondering whether I'd be missing out on anything, since I can only see the front of the insert (which has the LINY front-cover art that everyone's seen) from the picture. Thanks! WPT ------------------------------ Message-ID: <398EE15F.1414D77@mailandnews.com> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:18:39 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Live!! New York City Nope, it's just a white sleeve with a sticker slapped on it. What you will get with the bonus CD edition is the same versions of Birdhouse and Ana Ng as are on STD... though Ana Ng has a cool intro and lacks the annoying "I don't want the world" bit. Frankly, for the price you'll pay for the tour edition, you're better off finding the full disc... unless it's way expensive, I got mine for $25 three years ago, I'm sure they're more now. Oh, for a good visual comparison, check out my Visual Discography. http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ Destin Wen-Po Tsai wrote: > Does anyone know whether the back of the original cardboard sleeve has > any art? I am thinking about buying the "bonus CD" edition that comes > with John Henry and I'm wondering whether I'd be missing out on > anything, since I can only see the front of the insert (which has the > LINY front-cover art that everyone's seen) from the picture. Thanks! > > WPT ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: the imaginary unimaginable movie Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:40:48 -0400 Message-ID: I agree with david spade...people have always teased me that david spade (whom i dont like at all) looks like linnell whom i love!! It works more i think when david spade was younger and thinner... but make him lose some weight and it would work... Young Elvis Costello would be a good flans!! heheh Chrissy > > I would have my brother (a budding actor) play Flansburgh - all of my > acquaintances that have seen the TMBG videos have commented on how John > Flansburgh and my brother look very much alike. > > And I'd have David Spade play John Linnell. > > - Jamie > > > > ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: More casting fun... Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:11:52 GMT Message-ID: Polaris: >Mighty Zombie Talkin' of Some Love and Posterity - Andre the Giant. Yes, folks! He came back from the dead, just to do this movie! >the President-the President(whoever is current when the movie is released.) You know, I always kind of wondered whether "Old What's-His-Name" was an attempt to make the song timeless, or a reference to Reagan's absent-mindedness. >the Ladies-Robin Goldwasser and Linnell's wife. What was her name, Linda? Karen. I don't know what her last name is. >Marvin Gaye - Phil Ochs >Phil Ochs - Marvin Gaye Wow! This movie has ALL the dead celebrities! -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #32-7 Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:20:35 GMT Message-ID: > >Great List, but you forgot "Mr. Horrible" -- who would >you like to see play him? > Well, given my interp of that song, I'd go with Al Pacino. And to add a few more, Omar Epps would be a good Marvin Gaye and Phillip Seymour Hoffman would make a good Phil Ochs. Um...Horatio could play the They skull. I'm losing it, so I'll stop now. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: 07 Aug 2000 11:35:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1246474364ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: SPIN article John Ferrer wrote: >What a strange item. Does SPIN not know "Boss of Me" is the show's theme? It >speaks as if they're doing a brand new song called "Boss of Me." It also >suggests rather clearly that it will be a soundtrack more along the lines of >the Powerpuff Girls album, with original songs by various artists having >little to do with the show. Every song on The Powerpuff Girls album *is* about the show but most of them were never on the show itself. The Malcolm soundtrack will probably be the opposite of that with music that was in the show but not necessarily about the show. >I figured with all the music already used on the show, they'd just use that >kind of stuff, like Dylan's "Stuck in the Middle With You," and that damned >Citizen King song. I'm hoping the album will consist entirely of previously unreleased TMBG music. Does the world really need another opportunity to hear that Citizen King song? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: 07 Aug 2000 12:10:11 -0800 Message-ID: <-1246472287ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: _Dream World_ Anne Heidemann wrote: >Somewhat relatedly, and this may have already >been mentioned (as I just joined the list, >forgive me if it's old news), has anyone read >_Dream World_, a newish novel put out by MTV's >imprint? It's got a main character modeled after >Linnell, and the heroine is sort of obsessed with >Linnell's arms. A good (not great but enjoyable) >read. I've never seen anyone post about that. About how many Linnell references are in it? In what way is the main character modeled after Linnell? MTV won't even play TMBG but now they are publishing books that mention them? Is this some kind of a hoax? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: _Dream World_ Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:37:15 -0400 Message-ID: i went to mtv.com and looked in their book section http://www.mtv.com/nav/intro_books.html for dream world...it had frames but this is the article http://www.mtv.com/mtv/licensed/books/dreamworld/ which is chapter 1 it looks like... i dont see linnell references...but i didnt read the book. Anne, can you tell us more about the book? Chrissy > > > Anne Heidemann wrote: > > >Somewhat relatedly, and this may have already > >been mentioned (as I just joined the list, > >forgive me if it's old news), has anyone read > >_Dream World_, a newish novel put out by MTV's > >imprint? It's got a main character modeled after > >Linnell, and the heroine is sort of obsessed with > >Linnell's arms. A good (not great but enjoyable) > >read. > > > I've never seen anyone post about that. About how many Linnell references are in it? In what way is the main character modeled after Linnell? MTV won't even play TMBG but now they are publishing books that mention them? Is this some kind of a hoax? > > -B O N G O > > > ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: <6e.1e48209.26c06c22@aol.com> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:46:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Live!! New York City Where do you get the bonus cd? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20000808031102.28731.qmail@web314.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:11:02 -0700 (PDT) From: Anne Heidemann Greetings, kids. on the subject of the imaginary unimaginable movie, Amy wrote: >...Dan Akroyd for Flans and Steve Buschemi as >Linnell. I think that these are the closest I've heard so far, except that Dan Akroyd is so much older than Flans. But there is a likeness between Steve Buscemi and Linnell that I never saw before! on the same subject, Kris Maxwell wrote: >Harry Connick Jr. ... I saw him on Letterman once >and though he looked like Linnell's evil twin.... I can see this, too! Especially (as you were saying) when wearing a turtleneck. Harry Connick Jr. is like the super-smile-rific version of Linnell, who maybe got kidnapped by an obsessive orthodontist when he was young. Kris also said: >Edward Norton- looks nothing like Linnell, but >could probably convince us he was him because he >is such a stellar performer. Heehee, no doubt! Polaris said: >You know, oddly enough, I'd have Edward Norton >play Linnell, and Brad Pitt play Flansburgh... LOL. I was going to add something about Fight Club to the response above, but I see I was beaten to the punch! John Ferrer said: >Frosty the Supervisor - Kevin Spacey. One I just >always picture, probably because of the movie >Swimming With Sharks. This is so appropriate! I am a huge Kevin Spacey fan. But other than that, he's perfect for it. and: >Mr. DJ - Jeffrey Jones, the principal from Ferris >Bueller, and the guy in every Tim Burton movie >ever made. He seems to betray someone in every >movie he's been in. What a cool insight! He usually plays a not-so-attractive character, but I never thought of it that way. You go! :) Anne ===== ****************************************************** Anne Heidemann WordGrrl7@yahoo.com ICQ#: 28531435 fax: (603) 807-5866 http://www.angelfire.com/mi/anneland ******************************************************* __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <64.5673f3f.26c0d796@aol.com> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:25:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: So who won the Puppet Heads? Does anyone know who was fortunate enough to win the puppet heads in that EMusic contest? Jon ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:31:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: So who won the Puppet Heads? Liz (GoodOmenz), who may have posted to this list a few times many moons ago, was the lucky recipient of one of the heads; no word on who won the other one (I wrote to the address they said to write to for a list of winners but never got anything, grrr). Kay ------------------------------ From: "Kate Larson" Subject: TMBG: NY concert, prospect park??? Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:44:40 EDT Message-ID: Hey, I really want to go to the concert in Prospect Park, Brooklyn... but I hear that it's a bad area, so I'm a little unsure. I'd be coming from out of state on a train and I'm wondering if anyone who knows Prospect Park can tell me if the area is safe or not. Thanks! -Kate ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401c000f4$e5d90840$d681accf@oemcomputer> From: "Kao" Subject: Re: Non TMBG:High Fidelity (Tenacious D) Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 00:55:38 -0400 > Subject: Non TMBG:High Fidelity > > I'm not going to torture myself by trying to pick 5 CDs for my alien abuction but this brings up something that I've been wanting to mention. Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity? I think anyone that participates in band newsgroups or discussion lists would find it very interesting. Its about a guy that owns a record store and his two geeky co-workers. Oops, Im way, waaaaaaaaaay behind on these damn goofy digests [that never get so much more than a topic skim and for whatever reason still subscribe to], but.. I couldnt help pointing out that if anyone here is interested in hilarious acoustic rock "fueled by Satan", do check out Tenacious D, the duo formed by Jack Black, who was one of the record shop guys (the chubby dude in High Fidelity, which I almost saw but didnt)and Kyle Gass. Yes, Tenacious D! Email me about where to get all their videos and mp3s and my concert pix. Oops. Gotta go. Later. *** BURRITO SUPREME Tenacious D Will Rawk Your Socks Off by Bradley Steinbacher Te * na * cious adj. 1. Holding or tending to hold persistently to something, such as a point of view. 2. Holding together firmly; cohesive: a tenacious material. 3.Clinging to another object or surface; adhesive: a tenacious macious lint on my jacket. 4.Tending to retain; retentive: a tenacious memory. 5. The greatest motherfucking rawk band of all time; brilliant: Tenacious D will rock your fucking socks off! -from the American Heritage Dictionary (except for that last one) Two overweight, balding white guys get up on the stage. They have acoustic guitars, and acoustic guitars only-no backup band, no phony electronic mumbo-jumbo. They just get up there and sing a little song: "All the ladies in the house say yeah/Come on you motherfuckers say a prayer/When you fights you gots to fight fair/You motherfucker, oh, you motherfucker/You know what time it is/Tenacious D time, you motherfucker waaaaaa!/Fuck you!" This is Tenacious D, the greatest motherfucking rock band in the history of the world. And this is what they do: The worst motherfucking rock songs in the history of the world. For the uninitiated, Tenacious D are Jack Black ("JB") and Kyle Gass ("KG"), two half-wits from Los Angeles who are obsessed with becoming rock gods. JB is the singer, KG the musical genius, and they have their own show on HBO. Or they had their own show. It may have been canceled already. Whatever. And now they're playing the Crocodile. They're dragging their (rather rotund) asses up here to our shitty little burg and they're putting on a little show for us-a rawk show. This dumb city, this pathetic hamlet, we don't deserve The D. We don't deserve the pure rawk power of Tenacious D, but we're getting it anyway. At least, that's what The D would say. Tenacious D sing songs like "Sex With Me and KG." Songs with lyrics like: "Listen Honey/Thinking 'bout a couple things to say to you/Showing/ Growing/Man I'd like to put my hand upon your fucking sexy ass and squeeze!/And squeeeeeze!" Pretty, pretty songs. The D want one simple thing: World Domination. They want massive record sales, massive tours. They want videos on MTV. They want to turn on the TV and hear "Tonight's episode of Dawson's Creek featured music by... Tenacious D." And they're convinced they can get it. This is the joke-the one joke. Fortunately, Tenacious D can also play. Otherwise it wouldn't be funny anymore. Their songs do, indeed, rawk. Or at least, they rawk as much as two goons with acoustic guitars can rawk. The story is that The D started in a bar, at an open mic night. This was in L.A., around three or four years ago. This is the story. The truth, however, is presented in the song "The History of Tenacious D": "We ride with kings on mighty steeds/Across the devil's plain/We walked with Jesus and his cross/He did not die in vain, no/Kyle's fingers be silver/Jack's voice then be gold/Unless you think we're vain/We know it's open mic night/We don't care/Tenacious D we reign supreme, oh God/Burrito supreme/Chicken supreme/Nacho supreme/Supreme!" Tenacious D is God. Whether you believe me or not, I guarantee you that Tenacious D will be the funniest (if not the greatest) rock and/or roll show you will see this year. JB and KG will knock you on your ass (or, as they like to say, "Rock your socks off!"). All you have to do is show up, but if you're a little scaredy-person, or one of those "music should make an important statement on society as a whole, as well as on the musician creating it" people, then you might as well stay home. Tenacious D don't want you there. Tenacious D wants you to stay home and watch Nightline, or some British sitcom on PBS. The D want you to read a book and be in bed by 10 p.m. so you can get up in the morning fresh for your very important career. The D want people at their show who like to... no, wait-who know how to have fun. They want people who want to get their socks rocked off. All other people should just stay home. At least that's what The D would say. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #32-8 *****************************