Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #33-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 33, Number 12 Tuesday, 12 September 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Malcolm Emmy wins TMBG: TMBG on Slashdot Re: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff TMBG: Slashdot Re: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back TMBG: Re: Robovoting Re: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back TMBG: I know I'm nuts, but... Re: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff TMBG: Re: TMBG, M. Shelley, and my bootleg collection could be yours!!! READ Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 02:57:09 -0400 Message-ID: maybe its under tmbg... like a couple that i d/l'd were...on the subject of napster... i was being silly and searched my name... there was a mp3 of me singing elvis costello's everday i write the book (badly) from like almost 2 years ago... it was dylanh3 or something like that. i think i did it for undernet #tmbg when they had a singing page or something... so my question is who is this masked dylanh3? is it dylan flipse? i am so curious ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 10:39 PM Subject: TMBG: No Mono Puff > Anyone know why there's no Mono Puff on Napster? It just seems kind of > strange. Whenever I check, there never is. > > "I make it a point to listen to TMBG every day, if I don't it's a sin." > Dr. Rick Worm > Chief of Surgical Staff > The Worm Clinic > Shaker Heights, Ohio > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:46:31 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8pigp1$2189$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Malcolm Emmy wins Actually, the first one was for directing. :) -Mike > Yup, two wins so far (both in writing), so they've played the theme twice :) > It was cool. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.1.2.20000911093946.00a6ca10@binhost.com> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:42:59 -0500 From: Tarsi Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Slashdot Well, TMBG made it into a comment by CmdrTaco on the ever popular geek online site, Slashdot (http://www.slashdot.org). You can see the comment made at the following URL: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/11/1248245&mode=nested Tarsi 210 ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:57:08 GMT Message-ID: Tara Weber: >I've been >pretty out of the TMBG loop for a while (grad school will do that), but if >this list is what it used to be, I trust I'll catch up quickly. I'm not sure if I'd call it "what it used to be." There are a lot fewer posts, and the regular posters have changed a LOT since two years ago. I'd say it's really a shadow of its former self, although I suppose that could always change. >3.) I learned that my >officemate got to live for a while in a cabin that used to belong to >William Allen White (I'll tell you the story if you really want to know, >but it's really not that exciting). Was a giant image of his head on any of the walls? >So, a shout out to any of the folks from back in the day, if they're still >on the list--Nola Weaver, Matt James, Jim Kuemmerle, Mike Leffel, are you >still there? Jordan (TMBgirl), are you still in Denver? Okay, I don't even know who Nola Weaver is. Matt James and Jordan are probably still around somewhere, but they don't post much anymore. Jim Kuemmerle quit this list some time ago. He still posts to the off-topic list occasionally, but not all that much, since he doesn't have his own computer as of yet (although he should be getting one soon). Mike Leffel also quit this list and stayed on the off-topic one for a while, but he later quit that one as well, and he hasn't really been around since. >So anyway, hi everybody. :) Hi, Dr. Nick! -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:05:19 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <39BD10CF.FAA179B2@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff I noticed that too but alas, I do not know why. CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: > > Anyone know why there's no Mono Puff on Napster? It just seems kind of > strange. Whenever I check, there never is. > > "I make it a point to listen to TMBG every day, if I don't it's a sin." > Dr. Rick Worm > Chief of Surgical Staff > The Worm Clinic > Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39BD15BA.E701EE24@uswest.net> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:26:18 -0500 From: James & Kimberly Mohan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff I think because it's probably listed under TMBG. I downloaded a song off a TMBG-fan site that I later found out to be a Mono Puff song. "He wants a shoehorn - the kind with teeth. People should get beat up for stating their beliefs." Adrienne Spruill wrote: > I noticed that too but alas, I do not know why. > > CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: > > > > Anyone know why there's no Mono Puff on Napster? It just seems kind of > > strange. Whenever I check, there never is. > > > > "I make it a point to listen to TMBG every day, if I don't it's a sin." > > Dr. Rick Worm > > Chief of Surgical Staff > > The Worm Clinic > > Shaker Heights, Ohio ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:51:49 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: Slashdot Message-ID: Maybe you missed it, or maybe I wasn't paying attention to the original message, but there are several threads about TMBG here. Check it out. There's one long thread called "Don't be mean to TMBG." You could also just search the document for TMBG or They Might Be Giants, if you really care. :) RS http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/11/1248245&mode=nested ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39BD058E.76EDE440@Fruvous.com> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:17:18 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back Tara Weber wrote: > So, a shout out to any of the folks from back in the day, if they're still > on the list-- > Nola Weaver Not that I've seen in a long time > Matt James Nope > Jim Kuemmerle Nope > Mike Leffel Nope again and there hasn't been a sizeable thread about Leffel in awhile either. I do believe every post Dylan Flispe makes still references him though, which is admirable. > Jordan (TMBgirl), are you still in Denver? I believe Jordan is in school in New York City and I haven't seen a post by her in a long time. - Chad "My brain is rotting with old TMBG list trivia right now" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:14:32 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8pjlga$2igs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Robovoting Hi Mary Beth, Thank you for continuing to vote in the Most Likeable Person poll. I lost the URL, so I haven't been helping you for a while now. I'm sorry. Can you send the URL out again? I'll also need it to modify the ol' Flans Vote-O-Mat to work with this poll. Be warned: robots can serve *too* well. The robot votes in the People poll were indistinguishable from real votes, but were thrown out anyway because they came in suspiciously fast. (Well, ultimately because they weren't for an approved Person... Scott Cohen's robotic votes didn't look suspicious to them, but that's a rant for another time.) Bryce I'll leave the front unlocked. wrote: > I remember a few months back when we were all trying unsuccessfully to get > Flans to the top of the People's poll, some folks had set up a robot voting > system - how did you do that? I've been trying to keep Linnell in the > running for the 20th Century's Most Likeable Person (just to keep him in the > to 10 so they will have his picture on their main site) by the old fashioned > method but I'm starting to get carple tunnel trying to keep up. I'd love to > give him a few thousand votes (enough to keep him ahead of Blarg Margle (?!?) > - I put in a couple hundred for Linnell and someone puts in a couple hundred > for Blarg - it's become a personal battle between me and him/her/them). I > hate to take the robotic route but I'd be willing to use it to give Linnell a > little push. > > My wrists appreciate your help! > Mary Beth ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:17:21 -0400 Message-ID: yes she goes to NYU. :D! > > Jordan (TMBgirl), are you still in Denver? > > I believe Jordan is in school in New York City and I haven't seen > a post by her in a long time. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:16:26 -0400 Subject: TMBG: I know I'm nuts, but... Message-ID: <20000911.184728.-168885.1.scitamb.2@juno.com> From: Skye A Sciolto I would really love to get my hands on a TMBG sticker for my truck as well as a shirt. Anyone got good leads on these things? ttml who has been looking for an Eels sticker for years now ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:35:26 GMT Message-ID: > >I noticed that too but alas, I do not know why. > >CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: > > > > Anyone know why there's no Mono Puff on Napster? It just seems kind of > > strange. Whenever I check, there never is. > > Um...am I the only person that DOESN'T have this problem, then? I've downloaded a lot of Mono Puff songs. And they were under the name Mono Puff. You just have to check a lot. Napster can become a completely different animal within two minutes. I searched for TMBG once yesterday, and it only brought up three, whereas usually it never falls under the maximum of 100. Now that I've explained that, I have to explain why I downloaded nearly all of Mono Puff's songs instead of buying the album like a decent person. Hmmmmm... _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:49:01 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No Mono Puff >Now that I've explained that, I have to explain why >I downloaded nearly all of Mono Puff's songs >instead of buying the album like a decent person. Umm...'cause they're hard to find! Yeah, that's the ticket. - Jon Lovitz [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] > I believe Jordan is in school in New York City and I haven't seen > a post by her in a long time. all this speculation about me is making me nervous *grin* I *am* still around, i do still (from time to time) read the list... most of the time i'll just look at the header and delete the stuff tho. The reason I haven't posted lately is probably because I don't watch TV - thus I have never seen MiTM - thus i can't really care one way or another what the boys are doing as of late. I'm sick of mp3's and while i did get teh cd version of WUFTM, i'm just dissapointed because i like other version of the songs better... "Wait, jordan!!" you might be saying to yourself... "you live in NYC, why don't you just go to their shows?" Very good question list. Let me tell you... You see, despite the fact that I just moved into Chinatown mere blocks from the bowery ballroom where the giants seem to prefer to play lately, i don't go to their shows anymore either. "WHAT?! You used to always complain that they never went to Colorado. Why, now that you actually have the opportunity to see them all the time, don't you take advantage and get your butt to as many shows as possible?" Well List, again, a very good question. The reason is this - when i was in denver it was very typical to see a band playing for $20 and up. The price of touring and getting your stuff out to the middle of teh country always raises the price of the tickets. In the city, however, the average price of concerts range from $5-20 and I'm just not to excited about seeing shows on the upper end of the spectrum. TMBG *never* play for less than $20/person. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I can see music that i like almost as much for waaaay less and i still have tuition to pay (did i mention i go to NYU? have you checked out the price tag on that one?). I try to make it to one or two of their gigs a year and i'm satisfied - even if that was no where near enough for me in the past. On to other, more interesting, stuff. Michael Shelley sent me a copy of his demos for the next album and let me say that he's just as awesome as ever. There's no set release date for these songs yet but i'll be sure to let you guys know just as soon as i find out. Go check him out now if you haven't already... he's amazing. Next topic. My bootlegs. I want to get rid of them. Yes, all 250 TMBG shows. (you can find them at: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ). I don't listen to them, they just take up space at my friends place (which must be completely annoying because he doesn't listen to them either). I know a lot of people have emailed me privately regarding these and i've more or less been given many many ideas as to how i should get rid of them/give them away. The rules that i have already decided upon: #1 I will not just up and send every tape to someone. that's a lot of shipping, and i don't have money to give away. #2 I would prefer that all of the tapes stayed together and went to one singular person. A person that is willing to actively trade them - not just let them sit there and collect dust. I'm a big fan of bootlegs and i know that had i not collected these, i never would have remained a fan for as long as i have. So i want someone that's willing to share the tapes with others... people that will do B&P deals, etc. So the problem i'm running into: how do i get rid of them without making a profit out of this (because i totally don't want to do that by any means), but without losing *all* of the money i put in to this little hobby. I guess i should mention that trading bootlegs does tend to get pretty expensive (with buying tapes and shipping etc.). I'm guessing that 98% of my tapes are Maxell XLII's - so what someone suggested i do is go out, find how much blank XLII's cost (average price) and then multiply that price by the number of tapes i send ya, as well as have you send me the cash to cover postage, and they're yours. It's as if you're paying me for blank tapes - not the content on them and i'm not losing any money at all. I thought it was a great idea, and very similar to a B&P deal, but i figured i should post it and make sure that no one out there thinks that it's gonna be a bad idea etc. I figure all i'm really losing out of the deal is all the money i paid on shipping these suckers when i traded but i couldn't really think of a way to deal with that so i said forget it... either way, i'm not going to be back in denver until december (which is where my tapes are) so email me if you're itnerested (yes, even if you've already emailed me before about it) and i'll keep ya updated until december when i'll prolly pick the lucky person. I also want to hear what people ahve to say about how i should get rid of them. if my asking people to pay blank tape price is not a good idea, etc. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #33-12 ******************************