Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #33-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 33, Number 19 Tuesday, 19 September 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: reference in Toyfare TMBG: Will Holhouser show Re: TMBG: reference in Toyfare TMBG: tour info? TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd TMBG: tour info? Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd TMBG: Weird Al Re: TMBG: Weird Al Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd TMBG: Re: Long Tall Weekend cd TMBG: Hamilton College pics NON-TMBG:the fastlane Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <20000918123356.1744.qmail@web205.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 05:33:56 -0700 (PDT) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: TMBG: reference in Toyfare Hey all, No! I amn't Dead, just been in lurker mode for a while, I'm going through post art school syndrome, which means I spend every waking hour on my beloved scrapbooks. And this brings us to my small discovery. As a loyal reader to that wonderful magazine Toyfare, and my love for cutting it up into small peices to be later pasted into my books, I discovered a headline reading (and I quote) "I'VE GOT A MATCH..." It's a match game "which butt belongs to which action figure." Now there are a million different possibilities for titling a match game, and the use of the title of a TMBG song is rather suspicious, I think we've got some fans at Toyfares *ahem* New York headquarters! BTW if you want to see for yourself, look for the Headline in the Toyfare with the action figure for the new cartoon (X-Men: Evolution) Wolverine on the front *yay* See ya later in lurkerland Mysterio "fell in love with X-men the minute she discovered her fav martial artist was playing a character named Mortimer Toynbee" Gal "Shelve the snappy patter" --Cyclops from the X-Men mr_realgal@yahoo.com __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:09:00 EDT Subject: TMBG: Will Holhouser show Hello 41- Not really TMBG related, but it doesn't have to be... Will Holhouser, accordion mastermind of the 21st Century and beyond, is going to be doing a show tomorrow night (Tuesday) at The Cutting Room which is at 19 W. 24th St. Which is in the heart of Chelsea if I am not mistaken. I've never been there. But it should be good. Will has done shows with Brian Dewan before and his stuff is entertaining. I was a little skeptical when I first saw him, because I didn't know if I'd like a set of just accordion music. But it was great. Meetcha there, ~Adam ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:45:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: reference in Toyfare In a message dated 9/18/00 8:41:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mr_realgal@yahoo.com writes: << As a loyal reader to that wonderful magazine Toyfare, and my love for cutting it up into small peices to be later pasted into my books, I discovered a headline reading (and I quote) "I'VE GOT A MATCH..." It's a match game "which butt belongs to which action figure." Now there are a million different possibilities for titling a match game, and the use of the title of a TMBG song is rather suspicious, I think we've got some fans at Toyfares *ahem* New York headquarters! >> TMBG's "I've got a match..." is actually a play on the kiddie put down, "I've got a match; your face and my ass," so the article's title is prolley an oblique reference to that. Kay ------------------------------ From: "Kate Larson" Subject: TMBG: tour info? Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:31:56 EDT Message-ID: hey, does anyone have updated tmbg tour dates? i've been hearing stuff about boston and rochester...where can i find all this stuff out? thanks, kate _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Ragatz, Tom" Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:27:27 -0500 Anyone out there have a promo copy of the Long Tall Weekend cd? Is the sound significantly better than a cd burned from the MP3s? Any idea what the going rate for a promo copy is? Tom NP: Jayhawks - Smile ------------------------------ From: "Kate Larson" Subject: TMBG: tour info? Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:38:59 EDT Message-ID: hey, does anyone know the updated tmbg tour info? i've heard about boston and rochester or something.... but where can i find all this out? thanks, kate _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Date: 18 Sep 2000 14:01:15 -0800 Message-ID: <-1242836824ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd Ragatz, Tom wrote: >Anyone out there have a promo copy of the Long Tall Weekend cd? Is the sound >significantly better than a cd burned from the MP3s? Any idea what the >going rate for a promo copy is? > >Tom > >NP: Jayhawks - Smile That's a good question. I know that the promo CD would be higher quality but I'm wondering if the difference is actually perceivable. As an experiment, I've been meaning to convert my LTW MP3s to AIFF, burn them to a CD then compare the sound quality to the official CD. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <41.ff5428.26f7ebfc@aol.com> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:06:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Weird Al Does anyone know what song this weird al tune is a parody of: My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder It doesn't happen to be that awesome song by Moxy Fruvous, does it? (You know the one im talking about...) I guess I could just go download it from napster and figure out what song Al was parodying , but since this list is slow lately I thought I'd try and liven things up. Sorry for the lame attempt. Jon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000601c021c1$00005380$196d96ce@Fruvous.maxweb.com> From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:37:17 -0400 |Does anyone know what song this weird al tune is a parody of: | | My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder | |It doesn't happen to be that awesome song by Moxy Fruvous, does it? (You |know the one im talking about...) I guess I could just go download it from |napster and figure out what song Al was parodying , but since this list is |slow lately I thought I'd try and liven things up. Sorry for the lame |attempt. Not all of Weird Al's songs are parodies, some are originals. This is one of them. He's not making fun of any other song, just singing a funny song of his own. :) However, Weird Al IS reputed to be a Fruvous (and TMBG) fan. Here's a picture of him with Moxy Fruvous. http://www.weirdal.com/almoxy.htm The world. It's so interconnected, eh? Colleen Anne ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:30:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd << Any idea what the going rate for a promo copy is? >> Last one I saw on ebay was going for over $50 (!) Kay ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Long Tall Weekend cd Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:37:13 -0400 Message-ID: sound qualty on the cd is better than mp3s burned to a cd.. the promo cd is made from original files put on the cd... the mp3 is a compressed version of those files... and then when you want to burn them on cd you need to convert them to wavs.. the songs lose sound quality once they are compressed..they do not gain it back when the mp3 is converted to a wav. now.. i dont know how audible this difference is to the naked ear... it could be minimal.. anyway Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ragatz, Tom" To: Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 1:27 PM Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend cd > Anyone out there have a promo copy of the Long Tall Weekend cd? Is the sound > significantly better than a cd burned from the MP3s? Any idea what the > going rate for a promo copy is? > > Tom > > NP: Jayhawks - Smile > > > ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:48:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: Hamilton College pics Ok, I didn't manage to get many, but there are a few pics that I snapped from the Hamilton College show on 9/16/00. They're up on PR Mega's Hamilton Page. Enjoy :) PR Mega ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <72.320f17e.26f858bd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:50:53 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG:the fastlane I just found out that the fastlane has been temporarily closed. The You Were Spiraling concert there has been canceled. I figured if anyone had planned on going, like I did, would like to know. -Pyro ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #33-19 ******************************