Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #33-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 33, Number 27 Wednesday, 27 September 2000 Today's Topics: Re:TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards Re:TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #33-26 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #33-26 Re: TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards TMBG: Re: which download to vote for TMBG: What to vote for TMBG: Re: which download to vote for TMBG: Re: What to vote for TMBG: New date on pollstar: 10/13/00 in Chicago TMBG: NYC Performance TMBG: Re: New date on pollstar: 10/13/00 in Chicago Re: TMBG: Re: New date on pollstar: 10/13/00 in Chicago TMBG: TMBG CHICAGO and a bit about chopping block TMBG: Fare-thee-well Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0009269699.AA969975292@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:34:49 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards Where is the voting site? And is it Bryceable? (just a little bit, for security, maybe.) Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards Author: "Justin McElroy" Date: 09/25/00 11:25 PM Hey I just thought I would submit that we all vote Long Tall Weekend so we don't split the vote. OK. That is all. Justin _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:17:45 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8qqb3m$3s0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards > Where is the voting site? > And is it Bryceable? (just a little bit, for security, maybe.) You can find the link at VH1.com. I don't think it is "Bryceable" because you have to register with VH1.com and I think it places a cookie on your HD to recognize your computer when you go back. I guess that could be overcome by re-registering under a different name and/or deleting the cookie from your HD, but I think that would generally discourage the robot thing. ------------------------------ From: MDthief@aol.com Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:24:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #33-26 Message-ID: Submitting one album over another is a good idea so we don't split the vote, however, wouldn't Working be the better choice since it is more recent? Please let me know what you all think so I can start voting! ~The Queen of Gish~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:49:33 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8qqk0a$7ij$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #33-26 Personally, I like LTW better, but perhaps we could have our own little mini-vote before tons of people start voting. Then, we could all agree to vote for the winner of our vote. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:36:55 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8qqn5p$8tu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Winning the VH1 Awards Karin: > > Where is the voting site? > > And is it Bryceable? (just a little bit, for security, maybe.) Gosh, I'm flattered to see my name being used to form this adjective. What a weird claim to fame, though. :) makebase: > You can find the link at VH1.com. I don't think it is "Bryceable" because > you have to register with VH1.com and I think it places a cookie on your HD > to recognize your computer when you go back. I guess that could be overcome > by re-registering under a different name and/or deleting the cookie from > your HD, but I think that would generally discourage robot voting. Yes, generally. People never wanted to prevent voters from coming back to vote again, not so with vh1. They can afford to be trickier. Ahem. Yea, verily I say unto thee: "We shall prevail naturally, for robot voting doth invalidate the votes cast in truth by the faithful multitudes. Robots are the minions of Lucifer! Discuss ye not their wicked ways here in the temple, lest ye invoke the wrath of the Pharisees. Now go forth and registereth thyselves, and voteth as God intended." Him who hath ears to hear, let him hear. Bryce We're here to make you happy. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:56:45 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8qqoav$9gv$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: which download to vote for makebase suggeted: > perhaps we could have our own little > mini-vote before tons of people start voting. > Then, we could all agree to vote for the > winner of our vote. Sounds good to me. For my money, Long Tall Weekend is the better download. Although the masses might find "On Earth My Nina" a little difficult to swallow. But wait a minute, does it have to be something released this year, or is any legal download eligible? Because Lincoln is up there on eMusic too, legally available for purchase and download. Bryce ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Nerf Dexter) Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:29:32 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: What to vote for Message-ID: <7684-39D0F91C-443@storefull-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I personally think we should go with LTW, since it pretty much started the whole TMBG/Emusic thing. It's more well known to online music fans, just because it was Emusic's major thing at the time, and it was one of the first ever downloadable albums. Is anyone tallying these votes? I would also like to, again, ask everyone to vote for TMBG in the Best Kept Secret category. Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:30:55 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8qqtet$bln$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: which download to vote for "> But wait a minute, does it have to be something released this year, or is > any legal download eligible? Because Lincoln is up there on eMusic too, > legally available for purchase and download. Well, a few people I know have already voted for LTW, so perhaps we could just stick with that, unless the consensus is overwhelmingly something else, then I would not think it dishonest for those of us who have already voted to re-register under a different name and vote with the list's nomination. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:33:05 -0600 From: "makebase" Message-ID: <8qqtiu$brb$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: What to vote for > Is anyone tallying these votes? I've been watching. One for WUFTM, three for LTW. One of the LTW votes would switch to Lincoln if we decided that was okay. It seems to me that most of us are going to vote for LTW. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:25:33 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8qret5$ij0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: New date on pollstar: 10/13/00 in Chicago New TMBG show just showed up on pollstar.com, 10/13/00 @ Navy Pier in Chicago. Thought you'd want to know. -Mike ------------------------------ From: joshua@echonyc.com Message-Id: <200009270041.UAA17769@escape.com> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:42:54 -0500 Subject: TMBG: NYC Performance I want you to know: On October 3rd I will give my very first solo performance using a Powerbook instead of the old electronics which I took with me over the years to Tokyo, Paris, Lincoln Center, etc. This will take place at a hip but not terribly high profile venue; however it will be a very high profile event for ME in my musical life. The show represents a big step in the direction of my dream performance: to turn found sound, grabbed LIVE on-the-spot from commercial FM radio, into elaborate, funky musical patterns, all LIVE. But don't worry, I will still be hitting old shoes with drum sticks. Forever. Also that night: an installation by Diamanda Galas, MC Reverend Billy, leader of the famous anti-consumerism "Church of Stop Shopping", and many other way-cool performances and installations, all to celebrate issue 8 of Sandbox Magazine. WHEN: Tuesday October 3rd 9 pm to 2 am I perform last in the main space, which should put me on stage at around 11:30. WHERE: Galapagos (Williamsburg's very nice and LEGAL arty night club) 70 N. 6th street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY (L train to Bedford/1st stop in Brooklyn) HOW MUCH: $5 suggested donation ID required I will post Sandbox Magazine's official announcement below, *after* easy instructions on how to be removed from my list if you wish. I've been programming endlessly, which in itself--believe it or not--I'm finding very exciting. I can't wait to get on stage, see what's on the radio at the moment, and have some fun. I wanted you to know. Thanks for reading. Joshua Fried *** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** Somehow, you're on Joshua Fried's mailing list. Don't want to be? Just reply with a blank message and it will be taken care of, with sincere apologies. Want to know more? See www.echonyc.com/~joshua *** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** BANG! SOUND EVENT SHAKES UP GALAPAGOS! Experience A Night of Experimental Music and Sound Art Celebrate the Release of Sandbox Magazine #8 Support Sandbox Open Arts Galapagos Tuesday October 3rd 9pm to 2 am 70 N. 6th street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY (L train to Bedford/1st stop in Brooklyn) $5 suggested donation/ ID required Call (718) 496-8846 or e-mail sandbox@echonyc.com for additional info http://www.sandboxarts.org (An event sponsored in part by the Brooklyn Brewery) BANG! showcases the work of both established and emerging avant-garde composers, musicians and sound artists in a night of live performance and installations. The event takes place in the bar area, the performance area and the bathrooms at Galapagos, each room having its own distinct atmosphere. BANG! also celebrates the release of Sandbox Magazine #8 featuring an extensive interview with Diamanda Galas as well articles by or about many of the other performers in the event. Curated by Sylvie Myerson with assistance from Peter Nappi & Sue Shannon Produced by Sandbox Open Arts =================================================================== Featuring: SCHREI 27 - DIAMANDA GALAS A sonic event consisting of several short performances over the space of 27 minutes, chapters of a confession which might have been induced through a chemical or mechanical manipulation of the brain. Schrei 27 features a high density of speech-sound over time which is often machine-like in velocity. The piece employs the atypical speech and vocal signal processing that Diamanda Galas has been researching since 1979. Schrei 27 was originally composed as a radio work in 1994 and formed the basis for Schrei X, a live performance which took place in the dark. Both pieces were released under the title Schrei X by Mute Records in 1996. Sandbox is honored to premiere Schrei 27 as a sound installation which will take place in a darkened performance area at midnight. MC: REVEREND BILLY Reverend Billy is the invention of author-actor Bill Talen. An anti-consumerism zealot, the Reverend is the leader of "The Church of Stop Shopping"-- which performs on the sidewalks of Time Square, in community gardens such as Esperanza and Stannard Diggs, the Poe House, and Charas El Bohio. Recently neighborhood-despoiling Starbucks has replaced Disney and the Gap as top Devil. The Reverend hopes you'll contact him at REVBILLY.COM if you want to him to bring his portable pulpit and The Stop Shopping Gospel Choir to your neighborhood and induce second thoughts in those who sip the $4 lattes. =================================================================== Bar Area Performances RADIO WONDERLAND - Joshua Fried Joshua Fried's famous shoes are going digital! The MUSICAL SHOES are four ordinary shoes mounted upside-down on stands and plugged into electronics which are activated by striking the shoes. Joshua Fried's new project hooks the shoes into his Powerbook, to transform snatches of sound--captured LIVE from commercial FM radio--on the spot--off the cuff--with all due unpredictability--into musical, funky, patterns--all LIVE. To be completed by 2002, the new solo project will have its first sneak preview at Galapagos. http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua/ BATTERY OPERATED - Concrete beat duo from Europe having just completed their most recent project 'Chases Through Non-Place' which provides chase music for heavily surveiled architectures in the city. The album is released through Mixer records/Staalplaat in November 2000. Currently touring the USA and will be playing live in Europe with Zoviet France in November. ILL WIND ENSEMBLE: IMPROVISED MUSIC FOR UNUSUAL INSTRUMENTS - Uses completely spontaneous improvisation to create an unusual variety of sonic textures, from sparsely ambient to richly dense. The ensemble performs on instruments from western and world music traditions, as well as home-made and "found" instruments, and percussion. Their creative approach to improvisation creates a compelling sound that has been described as "acoustic post-industrial trance music," or, as they like to describe themselves: "the indigenous music of Southeastern Vermont." ================================================================== DANCING IN THE STREETS 2 (Slides) - Allan "Pogo" Spiegel Slides documenting acts of poetic terrorism that have taken place around the city over the past year, all of them involving liberating public spaces and using them as we, the public, see fit. Geo-chemical installation - Sally Resnik WORLD OF AWE - YAEL KANAREK Internet artist launches the new version of her site: www.worldofawe.com ZERO BOY Performance artist creates imaginary worlds using purely vocal sound effects. Zero Boy is and international comedian and artist who has performed in Russia, Berlin and Amsterdam. His most recent work Alice in Zeroland was featured at The Whitney Museum at Philip Morris. He has done radio shows for Danish Radio. He can also be seen on MTV'S M@ Network.world ================================================================== Back Room Performance Area SOME RESULTS FROM THE APPEARANCE MACHINE - Willy Le Maitre & Eric Rosenzveig Le Maitre & Rosenzveig present some of the results of The Appearance Machine - a complex for the perpetual generation of media from local refuse. The machine physically transforms detritus into a live audio/video stream which is then transmitted directly to viewers. The machine's images, created in realtime, are analyzed for movement and colour and perform the accompanying soundtrack. The soundtrack then directs the mechanical impulses that animates the machine. The machine invents in continuous response to its self-created accidents. More info at http://appearancemachine.com CN_9 VERSION 4.0 - CARY PEPPERMINT 2000 In a CN_9 "exposure" a human is inside of a pine box. A video monitor is placed in proximity to the pine box and displays a real-time image of the human inside the box. The real-time human provides audio-visual information for participants to contemplate and/or actively employ. The human inside the pine box exposes both a "symbolic death" via his media entombment and a splintered being or otherwise "schizophrenic referential of being" via the paradox of observing (in simultaneity) the real-time event and the actual event itself. A CN_9 "exposure" is a curriculum in increased psychic awareness and could grant admission for participants to act as "carriers of utopia" via memory, meditation and a sincere, undeniable real-time visitation from the "symbolic dead". ALTAR - PETER NAPPI So if you feel a burning need to deal with the God question and you refuse to go to church, what do you do? What kind of ritual do you perform once you've thrown out the instructions? Altar is a little film about this very big subject: we follow a deeply obsessed woman as she works through the steps of a ritual only she can execute, one that leads to...what? The clues lie in what she does, what she gathers, and where she arrives. Altar features Christiaan Koop, with music by Tommy Emery, technical supervision by Isaac Levy, and sound engineering by Jon Crider. The film was directed by Peter Nappi. SONG OF MIRIAM & SONG OF A SIREN - YOAV GAL SONG OF MIRIAM (excerpt from Mosheh, opera in progress): A lullaby on the River Nile. Miriam watches over her baby brother Moses. She sings to him as he sleeps in his little basket, afloat on the water among the reeds. SONG OF A SIREN: The siren seduces with her singing. A creature of the sea, she possesses a dark lure, and is indifferent to the fate of the enchanted. The scenes will be performed by Soprano Nita Baxani, and by William Demaniow, Mihoko Suzuki and Yoav Gal on Keyboards. Yoav Gal is best known for his opera composition. His multi-media opera Mao Zedong - Jealous Son (Libretto by Alvin Eng) was premiered at La MaMa E.T.C. on February 1999 and was described by the New York Press as "... a very, very alternative way to celebrate Chinese New Year. TO THE DOGS - MIHOKO SUZUKI Conceived by Mihoko Suzuki, based upon the CD DogPoundFoundSound (Bad Radio Dog Massacre) by Claude Matthews - a 125 minute recording of dog sounds at C.A.C.C. (NYC animal control system). It is a visual-auditory ritual, contemplating poetry of sound, movement and imagery through a spiritual quest towards the 33 abandoned dogs, whose haunting voices silently conjure the complex and contradictory relationship between humans and nonhuman animals. Staged for 2 vocalists, 1 flutist (soprano/alto/bass), and a dancer, accompanied by the paintings of Sue Coe, featuring performers: Melissa Fathman, Mihoko Suzuki, Ulla Suokko & Dagmar Spain. ================================================================== Bathrooms IMPOSSIBLE CONVERSATION NO. 1 - JAN MCLAUGHLIN Seven-minute Omni-media Faux Argument for Audiotape, Dance, Music, Graphics and Installation designed to be so real as to draw even the most hardened New Yorker into its emotional vortex of cruelty, delusion and passion. The piece was created as a toilet-specific sound installation for this event. =================================================================== All proceeds from the event will benefit Sandbox Open Arts Inc, a not-for-arts organization whose mission is to encourage experimentation in the visual arts, the performing arts, music, and literature with a particular emphasis on interactive and multi-media work. The organization is especially committed to exploring the relationships between art, culture and society. Sandbox Magazine is available in Manhattan at Ink, Tower Magazines, Art Market, Coliseum Books, St.Mark's Books and in Williamsburg at Ear Wax and Beacon's Closet. To receive our latest copy by mail, please send a $5.00 check made out to Sandbox Open Arts to PO Box 150098, Brooklyn, NY 11215. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:37:22 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8qrfp8$j17$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: New date on pollstar: 10/13/00 in Chicago Okay, now it's gone. I swear that date was listed when I posted that!! :) -Mike The Demonic Kangaroo wrote in message news:8qret5$ij0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > New TMBG show just showed up on pollstar.com, 10/13/00 @ Navy Pier in > Chicago. Thought you'd want to know. > > -Mike > > > ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <55.b556260.2702b769@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:37:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: New date on pollstar: 10/13/00 in Chicago It's back again along with the Boston show on 11/18. ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <7d.ad3fbf0.2702b978@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:46:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG CHICAGO and a bit about chopping block Anyone have any info on TMBG playing in Chicago on 10/13? I know its in Navy Pier but how much and will they be doing a whole show? Also the web sight said there were two Chopping Block songs they did. Anyone heard the other one yet? Also keep voting for Long Tall Weekend on VH1.com i love you all ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39D1706E.BFEBB5BD@visi.net> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:58:38 -0400 From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Fare-thee-well I'm leaving the list. I haven't really written in awhile, and basically it's just taking up space in my inbox. Still a fan, though. I'll see y'all at the concerts. ;-) --Jack, aka Bluedawg ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #33-27 ******************************