Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #34-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 34, Number 16 Wednesday, 18 October 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ Re: TMBG: updating tmbg.org (nee "TMBG FAQ") TMBG: wow .... Re: TMBG:_updating_tmbg.org_(nee_"TMBG_FAQ") Re: TMBG: wow .... Re: TMBG: wow .... Sorta-TMBG: Cool radio stations (orig. "wow...") Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 17 Oct 2000 07:40:50 -0800 Message-ID: <-1240354048ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ I think one of the reasons that this list has slowed down is that NOTHING on the tmbg.org site has been updated in a long time. That site is in many ways, the best TMBG site on the Net. It not just the FAQ that's behind. Its the news, rumors, lyrics, song interpretations, games, midis, chords, fan art, etc. I subscribed to this list after hearing about it on tmbg.org. If people stop going there, how will this list get new members? We'll just be a bunch of grumpy, lurking old-timers. -B O N G O John Relph wrote: >Hi folks, > >Due to time pressures because of additional responsibilities in my job, >a necessary evil, I am forced to abandon maintenance of the TMBG FAQ. >Let me spell it out: The They Might Be Giants Answers to Frequently >Asked Questions List. I can no longer maintain the document. > >Thus, I am asking for a dedicated volunteer who is willing to update >the document at least once every month. The ideal candidate is >reasonably detail oriented, familiar with HTML and ftp, and last but >certainly not least, a BIG TMBG FAN! > >Please contact me with letters of recommendation (or at least some >pointers to pages you already maintain) and a short essay explaining >why you think you should maintain the FAQ. Or, just send some >email. > >Thanks everybody! > >Visit the TMBG FAQ at http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/ (but if you >didn't know where to find it already maybe you're not the person for >the job :-). > >And now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast. > > -- John > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:38:16 -0700 (PDT) From: John Relph Message-Id: <10010170838.ZM3732@mando.engr.sgi.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ The FAQ can't be behind! I try to keep it up to date. What do you think is wrong with the content of the FAQ? -- John On Oct 17, 7:40, Bongo wrote: > I think one of the reasons that this list has slowed down is that > NOTHING on the tmbg.org site has been updated in a long time. That > site is in many ways, the best TMBG site on the Net. It not just the > FAQ that's behind. Its the news, rumors, lyrics, song > interpretations, games, midis, chords, fan art, etc. I subscribed to > this list after hearing about it on tmbg.org. If people stop going > there, how will this list get new members? We'll just be a bunch of > grumpy, lurking old-timers. > >-B O N G O > >John Relph wrote: >>Hi folks, >> >>Due to time pressures because of additional responsibilities in my job, >>a necessary evil, I am forced to abandon maintenance of the TMBG FAQ. >>Let me spell it out: The They Might Be Giants Answers to Frequently >>Asked Questions List. I can no longer maintain the document. >> >>Thus, I am asking for a dedicated volunteer who is willing to update >>the document at least once every month. The ideal candidate is >>reasonably detail oriented, familiar with HTML and ftp, and last but >>certainly not least, a BIG TMBG FAN! >> >>Please contact me with letters of recommendation (or at least some >>pointers to pages you already maintain) and a short essay explaining >>why you think you should maintain the FAQ. Or, just send some >>email. >> >>Thanks everybody! >> >>Visit the TMBG FAQ at http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/ (but if you >>didn't know where to find it already maybe you're not the person for >>the job :-). >> >>And now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast. >> >> -- John >> >> > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:33:46 -0400 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8si2sv$2e7m$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: updating tmbg.org (nee "TMBG FAQ") Bongo's right, tmbg.org is withering from neglect (the FAQ notably excepted). Last month on alt.music.tmbg there was a lot of interest in creating yet another tmbg fan site, but it seems to me that tmbg.org is the most logical place for the new content we've mentioned. I'm a web developer; how can I contribute to tmbg.org? John Relph, are you in contact with the other folks listed on http://www.tmbg.org/site/people/ ? Somebody is at the steering wheel of this thing, aren't they? Bryce Little hand's on E. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1846720001021717481778@pulp-fiction.com> From: "le petit cochon" Subject: TMBG: wow .... Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:48:17 -0500 my first concert was TMBG while i was living in london, england. the group was touring to support apollo 18. i am very grateful that my first concert was someone like TMBG and not NKOTB. ha ! anyway, a friend of mine turned me on to this radio station based in columbus a couple of weeks ago. they have a web broadcast which is how i catch them (http://www.cd101.com - if interested). anyway, i am at work, listening and all of a sudden "particle man" comes on. i started doing a little dance at my desk and you should have seen the looks i got. some chicky in a leather skirt sitting in her cube doing the cabbage patch (as well as one can whilst sitting). anyway ... yeah, love this station. - jane _____________________________________________ Free email with personality! Over 200 domains! http://www.MyOwnEmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:53:22 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG:_updating_tmbg.org_(nee_"TMBG_FAQ") Message-ID: <20001017135321.A76902@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 01:33:46PM -0400, Bryce wrote: > Bongo's right, tmbg.org is withering from neglect (the FAQ notably > excepted). Last month on alt.music.tmbg there was a lot of interest in > creating yet another tmbg fan site, but it seems to me that tmbg.org is the > most logical place for the new content we've mentioned. I'm a web > developer; how can I contribute to tmbg.org? I believe I would be the bottle neck. I haven't had time to do any serious work on tmbg.org in quite a while, resulting in a lack of updates. Also, the couple of people who were helping me have moved on to do other things. The dirty little secret is that most of the updates are boring. Posting chords and interpretations isn't much fun, and as the site grows there gets to be more and more of it. I think the real solution is to build a more automated site so that there can be more user driven updates, and a better system for user moderated information. That is, I think slashdot.org has the right model, but it needs to be significantly changed to work for tmbg.org. tmbg.org will be rebuilt from a backend perspective soon. I'm going to be upgrading the machine that it is on, and I need to make it much easier to move the whole site between web servers to make that happen. Once that's done it will be compartmentalized in a way that will make development much easier. If people are interested in working on it, let me know. I'll warn you now though, a working knowledge of unix, sql, cvs, and perl will be required to be of much help right now. If I can find a person or two with those skills we can develop the tools to let people without those skills do content updates. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: wow .... Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:47:22 EDT Message-ID: >"le petit cochon" writes: > >anyway, a friend of mine turned me on to this radio station based in >columbus a couple of weeks ago. they have a web broadcast which is how >i >catch them (http://www.cd101.com - if interested). anyway, i am at >work, >listening and all of a sudden "particle man" comes on. i started >doing a >little dance at my desk and you should have seen the looks i >got. some >chicky in a leather skirt sitting in her cube doing the >cabbage patch (as >well as one can whilst sitting). > >anyway ... yeah, love this station. Living in Columbus, I listen to this station every time I get in the car. They play TMBG quite a bit, compared to other stations. They also play good music in general, and do cool themes on the weekend, like Undercover Weekend just a few days ago. What other station would play not only a punk cover of Phantom of the Opera and a lounge cover of Wonderwall, but also a reggae cover of I've Got You Babe? Wonderful station! :) **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:36:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: wow .... Maybe maybe..but I will still have to say that WBER up here in Rochester NY is the best station ever... They play a lo of good stuff incuding: TMBG, Pixies, Modest Mouse, Radiohead, I've heard Monopuff once, and a whole bunch of other stuff. http://wber.monroe.edu -Amber ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:22:33 -0700 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Sorta-TMBG: Cool radio stations (orig. "wow...") I've yet to hear TMBG on this station, but one of my favorites is KXLU. I think it's Loyola or something, a college station. Among others, I've heard Modest Mouse, Optiganally Yours (that's where I first discovered them), Stereolab, the Green & Yellow TV (a great local L.A. band; look 'em up on mp3.com), and a lot more cool shit which I can't remember right now because I have a horrible memory. My only qualm with the station is some of its DJs. They sound dead. And they only announce what they've played after like 8 songs, so if I'm listening in the car and I have to get out of the car to do something, there's not a chance I'll hear the name of that cool song that I heard four songs ago. But still, it's some good music, in general. 88.9 for you L.A.-ers out there. Spencer. (p.s. also for you L.A. people - is anyone going to the Doughty show this Friday?) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #34-16 ******************************