Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #34-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 34, Number 19 Saturday, 21 October 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ TMBG: CHICAGO SHOW REVIEW TMBG: Re: CHICAGO SHOW REVIEW TMBG: mrrfle? TMBG: November 4 Re: TMBG: mrrfle? TMBG: Re: mrrfle? Re: TMBG: CHICAGO SHOW REVIEW Re: TMBG: Re: mrrfle? Re: TMBG: Re: mrrfle? Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom Re: TMBG: mrrfle? Re: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom TMBG: Bridget eats Wonderbread! Re: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom TMBG: non-typical day at work TMBG: I'm sorry! Re: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:32:14 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8sop65$2jr1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ Still around? Where did I go? My site is still going strong at http://www.theymightbegiants.org. I'm still adding to my collection of over two thousand concert photos I have taken myself and 300+ live MP3s (My newest addition is 13 songs from the 8/19/00 Prospect Park show). I also have a new contest. Listen to one second of TMBG music and identify the song. Sound easy? See for yourself. Also, John Relph has turned over the matainence of the FAQ to me, and I just updated it and linked it to my site. If you can think of something else that belongs there, let me know. Ciao! -Mike > Currently, the top 3 TMBG sites seem to be tmbg.com, tmbg.org and twistid.com. (If >TDK's site is still around, that one ranks high too.) ------------------------------ Date: 20 Oct 2000 08:21:22 -0800 Message-ID: <-1240092416ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG FAQ That's good news. I gotta get around to reading that FAQ. I didn't notice any recent announcements of updates to your page on this list. So thats why I was wondering if it was still around. I hope you still have the Lincoln (the band) stuff up too. -B O N G O The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: >Still around? Where did I go? My site is still going strong at >http://www.theymightbegiants.org. I'm still adding to my collection of over >two thousand concert photos I have taken myself and 300+ live MP3s (My >newest addition is 13 songs from the 8/19/00 Prospect Park show). I also >have a new contest. Listen to one second of TMBG music and identify the >song. Sound easy? See for yourself. Also, John Relph has turned over the >matainence of the FAQ to me, and I just updated it and linked it to my site. >If you can think of something else that belongs there, let me >know. Ciao! > > -Mike > >> Currently, the top 3 TMBG sites seem to be tmbg.com, tmbg.org and >twistid.com. (If >TDK's site is still around, that one ranks >high too.) > > > > ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:32:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: CHICAGO SHOW REVIEW Message-ID: <6f.bf78d57.2721bfac@aol.com> ok it's been a week so i'm ready to tell all about the chicago show. the show was at navy pier (it's kind of like a big mall/amusement park/convention hall). TMBG and four other bands were booked for the Oktoberfest celebration. Sadly i missed the Polkaholics. (if anyone has ever heard of them, are they good?) Anyway the show was held in a huge convention hall that had way too much echo. In this hall were a bunch of fair type rides. There were bumber cars, a ferris wheel and a tilt-a-whirl. Add this with TMBG and flowing beer and you get a great feeling of overwhelming joy and nausia. The setlist was average. No big surprises. I wish they'd change their lineup more often. Is it just me or does istanbul suck ass live?..and they always save it for last. They did however finally have a conga line. (they haven't started one in at least two years around the chicago area). They mentioned that in New York they would do a concert at the bowery were they would perform the whole flood cd in order. Anyhoo, i handed a copy of a movie i shot (featuring tmbg's on the drag) to John Linnell right after the show. I hope he wasn't too weirded out. I think that Linnell definately has social anxiety disorder. Get that man some Paxil! I tried to be as unthreatening as possible, and i included a very explanatory note with the video so he wouldn't be affraid to watch it, and so i wouldnt sound like a deranged fan. So to recap: boaring setlist but still a ton of fun (i'd have to rank it #3 of all 10 tmbg concerts i've attended). ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:41:55 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8sppb5$2ua9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: CHICAGO SHOW REVIEW In order! Yes! -Mike > mentioned that in New York they would do a concert at the bowery were they > would perform the whole flood cd in order. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <390170163.972059812673.JavaMail.root@web340-wra.mail.com> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:36:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Karen Majetic Subject: TMBG: mrrfle? Hi Everyone! I havent posted in a realllly long time, but i was just curious to ask about a song called "88 lines about 44 women" - john linnell sings it! I know its HIM! Yet, its by.....Nails...mebbe im just stupid oh well.. -Celeste (BTW - this may be of interest to at least one person on this list..........Im Jack's roomate) ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <60.7f23531.2721d98a@aol.com> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:23:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: November 4 Anyone going to the November 4 concert at The Recher Theatre in Towson, Maryland: I am now officially going to be there. My girlfriend bought us two tickets for the show yesterday. Anyway, if any of you are going, I'm going to be the really big guy (6 feet 7 inches, and about 270 lbs.), showing off my T M B G tattoo on my arm. If any of you are there, drop by and say hi. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Date: 20 Oct 2000 11:49:30 -0800 Message-ID: <-1240079928ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: mrrfle? Karen Majetic wrote: >Hi Everyone! I havent posted in a realllly long time, but i was just curious >to ask about a song called "88 lines about 44 women" - john linnell sings >it! I know its HIM! Yet, its by.....Nails...mebbe im just >stupid oh well.. > >-Celeste > >(BTW - this may be of interest to at least one person on this >list..........Im Jack's roomate) I can't tell if that's a joke or not but it isn't... its not Linnell and doesn't sound like him. Besides, I can't imagine Linnell singing anything that sexually explicit. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:44:04 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8sq7ha$38h$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: mrrfle? Sorry, that's not Linnell. But in your heart i think you knew that. :) I added a question about mislabeled TMBG songs to the FAQ, it's the last questionn. if anyone can think of songs I havent listed that you have seen mislabeled as tmbg, let me know. http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/ -Mike Karen Majetic wrote in message news:390170163.972059812673.JavaMail.root@web340-wra.mail.com... > Hi Everyone! I havent posted in a realllly long time, but i was just curious > to ask about a song called "88 lines about 44 women" - john linnell sings > it! I know its HIM! Yet, its by.....Nails...mebbe im just stupid oh well.. > > -Celeste ------------------------------ From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: TMBG: CHICAGO SHOW REVIEW Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:56:52 GMT Message-ID: >always save it for last. They did however finally have a conga line. >(they >haven't started one in at least two years around the chicago area). There was a conga in July of 99. I remember, because I got right back to my spot in the front row, amazingly. _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Samantha Skinner" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mrrfle? Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:59:47 GMT Message-ID: tdk and listers -- New Jersey is NOT a Linnell state song. It is, however, addicting and cute, and features someone playing "Blues For Orange/If You Were A Word" by You Were Spiraling. Culprit -- come out and tell me who you are! _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:18:29 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8sqd2c$5v4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mrrfle? I knew that wasn't Linnell as soon as I first listened to it.. I hope he really does a New Jersey song for the next State Songs album. -Mike > tdk and listers -- > > New Jersey is NOT a Linnell state song. It is, however, addicting and cute, ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:23:38 -0700 Subject: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom Message-ID: <20001020.172338.-1888557.0.Garrett27@juno.com> I have a Blink 182 cover of Phantom of the Opera. It's really cool. I found it on napster one day when searching for Phantom. Since Blink 182 played at our school because of a KROQ contest, I decided to download it. It's probably that. The funny thing is, our school has probably now voted them the most annoying band on our poll thing. I'll stop blabbering now. Wait, no I won't.... I recorded a polka version of Blink 182's "Dammit" and put it on napster - So thanks whoever informed us of Elakelaiset! I love them now. And thanks for informing us of Wesley Willis too! =) Garrett ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:31:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: mrrfle? In a message dated 10/20/00 12:43:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: > (BTW - this may be of interest to at least one person on this > list..........Im Jack's roomate) ::blinks:: Jack Shaffer?? -Amber ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:19:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <200010210219.WAA01694@reit.pair.com> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom From: ctyner@clemson.edu It's probably mislabeled. I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that it's Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. I could be wrong though. :) -Adam At 05:23 PM 10/20/00 -0700, garrett27@juno.com wrote: I have a Blink 182 cover of Phantom of the Opera. It's really cool. I found it on napster one day when searching for Phantom. Since Blink 182 played at our school because of a KROQ contest, I decided to download it. It's probably that. The funny thing is, our school has probably now voted them the most annoying band on our poll thing. I'll stop blabbering now. Wait, no I won't.... I recorded a polka version of Blink 182's "Dammit" and put it on napster - So thanks whoever informed us of Elakelaiset! I love them now. And thanks for informing us of Wesley Willis too! =) ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:26:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bridget eats Wonderbread! Last night, I slept for 16 hours, and I had a listie dream. I dreamt that Nathan and I went to bridgie's house, and she showed us her bedroom. She was sitting at her desk talking to us and working on homework and stuff. I kept on remarking on how much she reminded me of my cousin Alyssa (probably because she's smart and seems to do a lot of schoolwork) and playing with her dog (who was Eddie from Frasier). We were talking about how someone, I forget who, had a weird voice, then, and I have no idea how, bridget drew a graph of that person's voice on this weird markerboard that had a yellow light behind it. Then she sat down and continued her work. She said she always keeps popcorn, milk, and Wonderbread in her room to snack on while she studies. So Nathan took some of the popcorn (yes, I know Nathan doesn't like popcorn or milk, and I don't think he cares for white bread either, but it was a dream, so hey...) and started "juggling" it while it's in its bowl, only he's not even touching it and it starts to float around in circles. That's all I remember, except for something or other happening that took place in a desert in Southern California. A few weeks ago, I also had a dream with Melanie, Leigh, Colleen, and eriKa in it, but I forget what happened. I vaguely remember us being at a Christmas party, and we were all wearing turtlenecks. eriKa was in a sort of treehouse (like X the Owl's from Mr. Rogers), and whenever anyone would say anything to her, she'd yell and slam the doors. Tonight, my mom bought me a new phone, my uncle bought me a PIkachu pillow, and I bought Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street 2. I also have a rented copy of The Exorcist to watch. Oh, and I have this: http://beth.blogspot.com/ It is MUY crappy. Trying to understand all this HTMLy stuff makes me feel like the biggest idiot ever. I just don't have a head for it. I'd say that I might figure it out someday, but I haven't felt this stupid, since I last took the SATs. I have about 60 things to reply to, but maybe I just won't do it, you know? Beth Andy Partridge kicks Jim Kuemmerle's ass 18 times. np: XTC-Rag & Bone Buffet ------------------------------ Message-ID: <39F105B5.9169333B@home.com> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:55:49 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom I just downloaded it off napster, and well, you'd be entitled to those large sums of money if anyone had taken that bet. It's amazing how quickly misinformation spreads... Destin ctyner@clemson.edu wrote: > It's probably mislabeled. I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that it's Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. I could be wrong though. :) > > -Adam > > At 05:23 PM 10/20/00 -0700, garrett27@juno.com wrote: > > > > I have a Blink 182 cover of Phantom of the Opera. It's really cool. I > found it on napster one day when searching for Phantom. Since Blink 182 > played at our school because of a KROQ contest, I decided to download it. > It's probably that. The funny thing is, our school has probably now > voted them the most annoying band on our poll thing. I'll stop > blabbering now. Wait, no I won't.... I recorded a polka version of Blink > 182's "Dammit" and put it on napster - So thanks whoever informed us of > Elakelaiset! I love them now. And thanks for informing us of Wesley > Willis too! =) > > -- Destin Berthelot destin@bigfoot.com "The fourth dimension is just one big crazy do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity! And how does it work? Never mind!" -The Tick ------------------------------ From: "Miss Karen" Subject: TMBG: non-typical day at work Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 03:27:52 GMT Message-ID: The coolest thing happened at work today. I work for a printing company and a client came in for a graphic design consultation with Kevin, whose desk is right next to mine. I wasn't listening but my ears perked up when I heard one of them mention TMBG. I asked them what they were talking about and the client said he was opening for Them at the Nov. 9 Bowery show. I said I was a big fan and he said They were nice guys. I told him he reminded me of Linnell (he really did and I hope he took that as a compliment.) Then he said I should give him a call that week and he'll get me in! So, Michael Maxwell is opening for TMBG on Nov.9 and I'm counting down the days... -Karen _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: <83.1c2d048.27227995@aol.com> Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:46:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: I'm sorry! Ugh! That last thing I sent was meant for the tmbgofftopic list (and it took me forever to notice, because I'm an idiot). I'm really sorry. Insanely embarrassed, Beth ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 23:15:14 -0700 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Punk Phantom Message-ID: <20001020.231514.-1864543.0.Garrett27@juno.com> << I just downloaded it off napster, and well, you'd be entitled to those large sums of money if anyone had taken that bet. It's amazing how quickly misinformation spreads... >> Dammit! I've been duped!! I feel so dirty now. Well thanks for setting me straight. And I'll probably check out that band now too. Garrett p.s. To add a bit of TMBG topicicity - Anyone hear anything about any more online chats? Possibly surrounding the Bowery shows? ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #34-19 ******************************