Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #34-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 34, Number 22 Tuesday, 24 October 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Cool Radio TMBG: Cool Radio part 2 TMBG: About them Bowery shows... TMBG: THEY on Zdnet TMBG: Cyclops Rock question... Re:TMBG: Cyclops Rock question... TMBG: El Grupo de Rock n Roll on Napster Re: TMBG: El Grupo de Rock n Roll on Napster TMBG: nightgown of the sullen moon..? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:39:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Cool Radio Message-ID: <39F3F952.10795.5F6CF@localhost> Ok, I hate to be a self-promoting bastard, but here goes anyway... It's not quite radio (since it's on the net), but we have an on-line station from the University of Tulsa that plays quite a bit of TMBG. The reason behind this is that I was once the station manager, and set up the jukebox that plays when nobody else is on (which is usually). There's tons of TMBG and tmbg- related stuff (mono puff, john linnell, soul coughing, ben folds five, mailbox, moxy fruvous, etc) that gets played randomly, and then there's the show that I co-host on sundays from 8-10 central, which is guaranteed to have at least 2-3 TMBG tracks. So if you're bored on the net and want to check it out, go to live365.com and search for "THE UNDERGROUND"... it will be the only one that's LIVE, and from the University of Tulsa. Thanks, Denomin8r Lurkimus Maximus Kris Maxwell ------------------------------ From: kristen-maxwell@utulsa.edu Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:41:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Cool Radio part 2 Message-ID: <39F3F9CA.11246.7C954@localhost> Ok, my bad, so the easiest way to get to the station (and see its nifty identity) is through the website, where you do no have to SEARCH for anything, but simply follow the apropriate links. its at : http://www.utulsa.edu/underground That should be much better. Kris Maxwell ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:03:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: About them Bowery shows... Message-ID: Hey, no one here would happen to know exactly which Bowery show it is that TMBG is gonna play Flood in order, would they? I'm flying up to Connecticut and I'm going to be there for the Nov. 9th and 16th shows. If anyone cares at all I'll most probably be the girl with a nose ring and the pants that look like a patch-quilt (really, they do: they're made of a bunch of different colored triangles all sewn together-red, green, blue, yellow, etc.) At least that's what I'm wearing at the Nov.9th show. See ya there! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.0.0.25.2.20001023123624.024a8d00@binhost.com> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:38:57 -0500 From: Tarsi Subject: TMBG: THEY on Zdnet John F is quoted in an article on Napster on ZDNET. http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2643361,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01 Tarsi 210 ------------------------------ Date: 23 Oct 2000 11:10:22 -0800 Message-ID: <-1239823076ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Cyclops Rock question... What's a "tombstone smile" anyway? Is that a known expression? Or did Flansburgh just make it up? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0010239723.AA972335636@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:12:44 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: Cyclops Rock question... Sounds like a Flansism to me, but I have read descriptions of smiling evil bad guys with big shiny white teeth, where the teeth were compared to a row of perfect white tombstones. Stephen King, I think.... I guess Flans just put a name to the simile. And to the smile, now that I think of it..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Cyclops Rock question... Author: Bongo Date: 10/23/00 11:10 AM What's a "tombstone smile" anyway? Is that a known expression? Or did Flansburgh just make it up? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:31:32 -0700 Subject: TMBG: El Grupo de Rock n Roll on Napster Message-ID: <20001023.173132.-1876427.0.Garrett27@juno.com> I was doing a search on the new artist section of Napster for bands influenced by TMBG and came across a group called "El Grupo de Rock 'n' Roll". Is this anyone on here's? It says their hometown is Bournemouth, England. What are all of you people's opinions on this? I know that I've thought about the name before while thinking of band names, but as soon as the idea came into mind I smacked myself for thinking it. It's almost...blasphemous...in my opinion. Garrett ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <66.891598e.272636f5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:51:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: El Grupo de Rock n Roll on Napster This wasnt TMBGs first name for themselves....the Then liner notes says they were "Introduced as" El Grupo De Rock'n Roll....meaning they were just introduced as a rock and roll group... I don't really see anything wrong with some other band using it... Jordan In a message dated 10/23/00 8:21:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, garrett27@juno.com writes: << I was doing a search on the new artist section of Napster for bands influenced by TMBG and came across a group called "El Grupo de Rock 'n' Roll". Is this anyone on here's? It says their hometown is Bournemouth, England. What are all of you people's opinions on this? I know that I've thought about the name before while thinking of band names, but as soon as the idea came into mind I smacked myself for thinking it. It's almost...blasphemous...in my opinion. >> ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 01:19:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: nightgown of the sullen moon..? really bored at work tonight, i was looking through the video order book, and came across a title called "nightgown of the sullen moon"... anyone know of this? i knew there was a children's book with the title... but a video? i'd love to see this.. sarah http://brazen.org/starcookie "bite me, metallica." - zorak, space ghost coast to coast ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #34-22 ******************************