Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #34-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 34, Number 4 Wednesday, 4 October 2000 Today's Topics: Re:TMBG: old timers' roll call TMBG: Re: old timers TMBG: old-timer's roll call Re:TMBG: old timers' roll call TMBG: Re: Emusic Re: TMBG: Desk top theme... :) Non TMBG: Doughty show Re: Non TMBG: Doughty show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0010039705.AA970583364@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:29:19 -0400 Subject: Re:TMBG: old timers' roll call m@t sez: >>I've been on the list from close to the beginning. In fact, I only read this because I recognized Chris's name from long ago. I think most of us who have been here this long are primarily lurkers at this point...<< What I don't get is: Why?? I mean the lurking part, not the being-on-the-list-from-close-to-the-beginning part. It's not like the list has recently been overrun by hordes of squealing teenyboppers sending posts like "Hot 15f, anybody wanna cyber?" There has been the occasional ditzy bimbo, but they don't generally stick around long. Hell, I lurked for the best part of a year, but that was when I was new, & didn't want to say anything stupid. (when did I stop caring? you may ask....) Oldtimers, come out of hiding !! We need someone to tell us the tales of the good old days, when you had to walk 5 miles in the snow to a TMBG show. Uphill, both ways....! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:48:50 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <200010031448.HAA16274@mando.engr.sgi.com> From: John Relph Subject: TMBG: Re: old timers Minimum Wage! I joined the "they-might-be" list in May 1991. I think that's about when it started. I've been maintaining the TMBG discography since 1990 (or possibly earlier). I don't think I started the FAQ until 1992. However, I have been on and off the "tmbg-list" periodically. As you can see, I'm on it now. Anybody got a copy of Long Tall Weekend on CD for me? :-) -- John ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:18:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: old-timer's roll call Message-ID: On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > most of us who have been here this long are primarily lurkers > at this point... Agreed. I've been here six years now (joined towards the end of the Micah era), and I hardly ever post. (Except now, I guess...) I wonder how common it is for a mailing list to hang on to this many of its members for this long? --nicole twn *** "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re:TMBG: old timers' roll call Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:31:12 GMT Message-ID: Karin: >m@t sez: > >>I've been on the list from close to the beginning. In fact, I only >read this because I recognized Chris's name from long ago. I think >most of us who have been here this long are primarily lurkers >at this point...<< > >What I don't get is: Why?? I mean the lurking part, not the >being-on-the-list-from-close-to-the-beginning part. Well, some of them might just be bored with TMBG, or think that pretty much everything related to Them that comes up has already been discussed to death (as far as they're concerned, anwyay). Of course, that calls why they'd stay on a TMBG list into question, but I know some people who have been around for a while still lurk because there's occasionally something of interest to them posted (although, for some of the people here, it looks like the only thing of interest is "Who's been here for a long time?"). >Oldtimers, come out of hiding !! We need someone to tell us the tales of >the >good old days, when you had to walk 5 miles in the snow to a TMBG show. >Uphill, >both ways....! Hey, I WISH there were TMBG shows only five miles away! If such were the case, I wouldn't even mind the snow. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:57:24 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <8rdaaa$1go4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Emusic If you are referring to the "Top 10" on the front page, i'm pretty sure it's not a poll.. it's the top ten sellers on emusic for the week. I usually see TMBG at number one. :) -Mike Schnerb Fucious wrote in message > Hi. Incase anyone is interested. Emusic's Top Ten Poll has TMBG at #2 as of > 9/26/00. > ~Universe Man~ ------------------------------ Date: 03 Oct 2000 14:50:58 -0800 Message-ID: <-1241537840ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Desk top theme... :) *SUPER SPANGER*" wrote: >I was sooooo bored today that i was going through some old magazine cd's and >Guess what i found... a TMBG desktop theme... Wow I was soooo happy... I >would have never expected that... > When you say "desktop theme" do you mean just wallpaper? Or does it turn your cursor into one of the John heads? Does it make your alert sound a "yo!" from WDTSS? I made a cool TMBG wallpaper design once. If I can't find it, I'll put it on line. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Big D) Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 21:36:37 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Non TMBG: Doughty show Message-ID: <14264-39DAB3D5-10031@storefull-248.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Just curious if anyone here will be at the Doughty show on Oct 20th at the (Hollywood) Knitting Factory? I will be, so I just wanted to know if I'd see any of you there. Dexter Flansburgh http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs (my tape trade page) ------------------------------ From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Doughty show Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:46:44 -0700 Message-ID: Me hope to go to the Seattle show but I cant find info on his shows, where might I? Also anyone know of when that magazine is coming out w/ the free cd of the M. Doughty/J. Flansburgh song on it? What was that called? Erich > Just curious if anyone here will be at the Doughty show on Oct 20th at > the (Hollywood) Knitting Factory? > > I will be, so I just wanted to know if I'd see any of you there. > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #34-4 *****************************