Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #34-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 34, Number 7 Saturday, 7 October 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: old-timer's roll-call TMBG: list birthdate TMBG: re:chicago show Re: TMBG: old timers' roll call TMBG: Rochester Show! Re: TMBG: Rochester Show! TMBG: Make my day! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 06:10:32 -0400 From: "Wilson" Message-ID: <8rk8k3$1o4d$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: old-timer's roll-call I've been on this list ever since I invented the internet. Hey kids vote for me. -Al Gore Jamal Rogers wrote in message news:39DA3E87@webmail.grinnell.edu... > karin: > < being-on-the-list-from-close-to-the-beginning part. It's not like the list > has > recently been overrun by hordes of squealing teenyboppers sending posts like > "Hot 15f, anybody wanna cyber?">> > > Well, some of us grew irritated after two major flame wars erupted, got bored > of seeing the same things get posted over and over, and got to the point where > we only read the list from the web site occaionally, and only post when there > is an "old-timer's roll call". > > --Jamal, > whatever happend to Ruprecht? > ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200010061438.JAA10441@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: list birthdate Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:38:08 -0500 (EST) John Relph, our illustrious FAQ maintainer, writes: > > I joined the "they-might-be" list in May 1991. I think that's about > when it started. Cool. I had been racking my brains trying to remember whether it was late 1990 or early 1991, but I believe that you are right. Hooray for John! m@t ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:56:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: re:chicago show Message-ID: <6f.b5cf3e5.270f4201@aol.com> I dont know when TMBG play but there are five bands in total begining at five and ending at one in the morning. It costs a mere $10. Also you have to be 21 OR OVER to get in. Its a ticketmaster thing so thats where you get tickets. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200010061509.KAA12259@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: old timers' roll call Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:09:33 -0500 (EST) Karin H writes: > > What I don't get is: Why?? I mean the lurking part, not the > being-on-the-list-from-close-to-the-beginning part. Well, at some point I had shared most of the interesting TMBG information that I know, and learned much of it that I didn't, so there is just less for me to contribute now. Also, as some- one pointed out, on any list there are a number of threads that are pretty cyclical in their recurrence, and their charm tends to decay just a bit every time they surface. Add the occasional crackpot who seems mostly interested in building a personal fan following, and Good Reasons To Post gradually start to dwindle. (Plus I'm older and crankier now.) > Oldtimers, come out of hiding !! We need someone to tell us the > tales of the good old days, when you had to walk 5 miles in the > snow to a TMBG show. Uphill, both ways....! John Relph's post reminds me of one cool thing from the "old days." Before the FAQ, and after he first started it, it was fun to hash through TMBG history and trivia on the list. There was a certain thrill of discovery, and some some lively disagreements. Add the occasional cameo appearances by (former) TMBG folks like Smokin' Bo Orloff, and the uncertainty of knowing whether the server that Micah had rigged in his closet out of foil and chewing gum would work from day to day, and you just get Big Fun. Which is not to say that I don't like the list now - I'm still here. I like to read concert reviews, and album reviews, and to pick up alerts about TV appearances and print interviews. I even like to hear what other bands listees are into (a cyclical thread that has the virtue of being somewhat different every time!). I even got to meet some listees when TMBG played Purdue. (Hey Amy! Hey Mike!) The rest of the time, I'm just more inclined to hit 'd' and less so to hit 'r'. m@t ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <59.1222982.270f46e4@aol.com> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:16:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Rochester Show! Hello, I haven't posted in a while, I guess I've turned into a lurker. Anyway, I'm going to the Rochester show! I got floor tickets instead of bleacher tickets so I can be closer! I know there are several others on here from Rochester. Is anyone else going? Also, does anyone know if they will be having an opening band at this show? Or evenmaybe the velcro horns with them! Well I gotta go..off to school! ~^v^~Amber the Transcendent~^v^~ ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester Show! Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:38:37 GMT Message-ID: Amber: >I haven't posted in a while, I guess I've turned into a lurker. Oh, NO! Not ANOTHER one! ANNOUNCER: Yes, folks, the problem of common, everyday posters turning into lurkers has been more serious than you might think. All over this great list of ours, the lurker bug has been claiming more victims every day. Just listen to these actual testimonies. MAN: Yeah, I thought I'd just lurk occasionally, you know, just to see what it was like. Now I never post a thing! It's awful! WOMAN: They got my little girl, too! One day she was posting to the list, as happy as could be, and the next day she's lurking! I don't know what to do! I'm at my wit's end! ANNOUNCER: Yes, don't let the lurking bug bite you, too. Stop from becoming a lurker! Contact the Anti-Lurking Institute today. (If Monty Python were still in business, maybe they could have done something actually funny with that.) >Also, does anyone know if they will be having an opening band at this show? Yes, the opening band is going to be Moose Boy, Goat Boy's Alaskan cousin. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:41:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: Make my day! I just saw on pollstar.com, that "They" added two shows near me! I'm so happy! On in Towson, Maryland (where I work), and one in DC! Anyway, if any of you groupies are going to go to the one in Towson (Recher Theater), e-mail me. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #34-7 *****************************