Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #35-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 35, Number 16 Thursday, 16 November 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re:TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p TMBG: Re: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up RE: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up RE: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p TMBG: Fw: Introducing TMBG Unlimited! Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Re: TMBG: Christmas Songs (It's right there!) Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p RE: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p TMBG: Halloween Tape Re: TMBG Love Songs (was: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p TMBG: Christmas Songs TMBG: Christmas Songs Re: TMBG Love Songs (was: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p TMBG: Some comments on TMBG Unlimited Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:23:33 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Message-ID: Hi. I get riled enough when the stores and businesses start pressing me (in a lovely seasonal fashion) for my xmas bucks before thanksgiving, not to mention how they now seem to start around halloween. so whats all this talk about xmas mixes? nah. it doesnt really bother me, but it does relate to a thought i just had. threw in the ol' tmbg mp3 cd (which i have not listened to in awhile), and when 'i'll sink manhattan' came on, i was struck--as i often am--by the grreat TMBG injustice. Like 'em for whatever reason, i think most (all?) of us on this list would agree that They have a [MUCH underappreciated and under-realized] softer side. ballads... love songs.. whathaveyou. They're no magnetic fields (plug; buy it), but strike me often enough with a wistful little pining in me chest. so, what TMBG songs would you put on a single CD mix to best demonstrate They're softer side, preferably with a 'love' theme. i haven't thought about it too much yet, but lets see what strikes me.... End of the tour (obvious one. le sigh) if i wasnt shy yeh, theres two. seems most of Their 'gooshy' songs are either up-tempo (musically) or sorta bittersweet. just trying to stimulate conversation. share your thoughts.. --kevin ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011159743.AA974313813@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:43:27 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Kevin sez: > so, what TMBG songs would you put on a single CD mix to best demonstrate They're softer side, preferably with a 'love' theme.< Hmmm, let's see...... Ooh, ooh, ooh.... I got it...... How about.... (drummroll........) Careless Santa??? badum bump Thank you, thank you very much.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:45:44 EST Message-ID: Kevin Keeler wondered: >so, what TMBG songs would you put on a single CD mix to best demonstrate >They're softer side, preferably with a 'love' theme. i haven't thought >about it too much yet, but lets see what strikes me.... > >End of the tour (obvious one. le sigh) >if i wasnt shy I've always liked Narrow Your Eyes and of course They'll Need a Crane in the "love" category. Granted, they're both about love on the downslide, but that's a part of love, like it or not. **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:08:36 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Message-ID: > > I've always liked Narrow Your Eyes and of course They'll Need a Crane in the > "love" category. Granted, they're both about love on the downslide, but > that's a part of love, like it or not. > > **************************************************** > Amy :) Oh, 'They'll need a crane' is a personal favorite. excellent choice. That had completely slipped my mind. And it's not really a 'down' song .... if you disregard the end. ;) --kevin and re: careless santa. harhar ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:42:19 -0500 From: johawny Message-ID: <3A12E719.89B3733B@circapress.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: its not even thanksgiving. :p I've Got A Match Stormy Pinkness I Blame You Certain People ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:45:28 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8uuphc$msr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p On Christmas starting too early: I agree, but I also find time to be flying past me like the French countryside in a TGV window, so I'm not likely to notice a difference of a couple of weeks. Maybe this year I'll actually remember to shop before the last minute. On the softer side: Stormy Pinkness, I Blame You, Unforgotten. Yes, they're all breakup songs, but that's to be expected. When was the last time being happy made you want to write a slow song? True, there are exceptions to this in the TMBG repertoire, notably She's an Angel and I've Got a Match, but even those crescendo themselves into something not entirely "soft." Bryce ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006801c04f59$0e8a4440$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:09:07 -0800 Check out Emusic.com, then go into TMBGs section. The new TMBG unlimited program is available, and it doesnt sound like a bad deal at all. Jon "I fell down while making some toast"-Mark McKinney [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:21:54 -0700 (MST) From: slothdog Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Message-ID: Actually, to me, it *does* sound like a bad deal. It's the same price as the "Emusic Unlimited" program, which gives you access to *everything* on Emusic.com, whereas TMBG Unlimited just gives you access to a bunch of TMBG tracks you already have. (Assuming you purchased Working Undercover for the Man and Long Tall Weekend already, as I have.) Granted, there's some *new* stuff that sounds cool, but I'm couldn't care less about "exclusive flash animations" and whatnot.... or maybe it's just me. --slothdog On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Jon wrote: > Check out Emusic.com, then go into TMBGs section. The new TMBG > unlimited program is available, and it doesnt sound like a bad deal at > all. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <78D189EAC03CD41181D800D0B78128E34A9A99@ussvlexc04.corp.netapp.com> From: "Kearns, Liam" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:39:05 -0800 I guess you didn't read the whole description. I quote "In addition to getting exclusive monthly MP3s from TMBG, you'll also receive unlimited access to ALL MP3s on EMusic." So it does sound like a good deal to me... Liam. > -----Original Message----- > From: slothdog [mailto:slothdog@weirdness.com] > Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 12:22 PM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up > > > Actually, to me, it *does* sound like a bad deal. It's the > same price as > the "Emusic Unlimited" program, which gives you access to > *everything* on > Emusic.com, whereas TMBG Unlimited just gives you access to a bunch of > TMBG tracks you already have. (Assuming you purchased > Working Undercover > for the Man and Long Tall Weekend already, as I have.) > Granted, there's > some *new* stuff that sounds cool, but I'm couldn't care less about > "exclusive flash animations" and whatnot.... > > or maybe it's just me. > --slothdog > > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Jon wrote: > > > Check out Emusic.com, then go into TMBGs section. The new TMBG > > unlimited program is available, and it doesnt sound like a > bad deal at > > all. > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:04:12 -0700 (MST) From: slothdog Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Message-ID: Why, yes, I *am* a moron, thanks for pointing it out. Sheesh. Remember, kids, read before you rant. :) On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Kearns, Liam wrote: > I guess you didn't read the whole description. > > I quote "In addition to getting exclusive monthly MP3s from TMBG, you'll > also receive unlimited access to ALL MP3s on EMusic." > > So it does sound like a good deal to me... > > Liam. > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: slothdog [mailto:slothdog@weirdness.com] > > Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 12:22 PM > > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up > > > > > > Actually, to me, it *does* sound like a bad deal. It's the > > same price as > > the "Emusic Unlimited" program, which gives you access to > > *everything* on > > Emusic.com, whereas TMBG Unlimited just gives you access to a bunch of > > TMBG tracks you already have. (Assuming you purchased > > Working Undercover > > for the Man and Long Tall Weekend already, as I have.) > > Granted, there's > > some *new* stuff that sounds cool, but I'm couldn't care less about > > "exclusive flash animations" and whatnot.... > > > > or maybe it's just me. > > --slothdog > > > > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Jon wrote: > > > > > Check out Emusic.com, then go into TMBGs section. The new TMBG > > > unlimited program is available, and it doesnt sound like a > > bad deal at > > > all. > > > ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:05:09 Message-ID: > > >Oh, 'They'll need a crane' is a personal favorite. excellent >choice. That >had completely slipped my mind. And it's not really a 'down' song .... if >you disregard the end. ;) > Actually, I think it's the most "down" song of all time. I think it's the saddest song ever written, by Them or anyone else. _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:07:52 Message-ID: > >On the softer side: >Stormy Pinkness, I Blame You, Unforgotten. Yes, they're all >breakup songs, but that's to be expected. When was the last >time being happy made you want to write a slow song? True, >there are exceptions to this in the TMBG repertoire, notably >She's an Angel and I've Got a Match, but even those >crescendo themselves into something not entirely "soft." > It's all opinion anyway, but just out of curiosity, how are either of those songs even slightly happy, besides the first verse of "Angel"? _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01c04f61$c8b808e0$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Fw: Introducing TMBG Unlimited! Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:11:35 -0800 Untitled ----- Original Message ----- From: They Might Be Giants To: mrbean63@home.com Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 12:53 PM Subject: Introducing TMBG Unlimited! They Might Be Giants are proud to announce the launch of TMBG Unlimited, a digital music magazine running for the entire 2001 calendar year. TMBG Unlimited is your direct link to the musical work station of They Might Be Giants, brought to you in conjunction with our karmically cleansed online music partner, EMusic.com. New and Exclusive They Might Be Giants Downloads Access advance material from They Might Be Giants' upcoming rock album, songs written for the hit show "Malcom In The Middle," exclusive selections from their Brass Orchestra project, and other freakish gems from deep in the TMBG vaults. Unique Interactive They Might Be Giants Content & Promotions Interact with the Giants via low-fi cable TV style streaming videos of John F. and John L. performing off the cuff studio material new and old, cool animated Flash videos and access to exclusive webcasts, contests and chats. TMBG Discography & EMusic Catalog In addition, download EMusic's entire They Might Be Giants catalog, as well as over 130,000 MP3s from over 6,700 artists and 600+ labels at no additional cost. The key to the World's leading MP3 store is yours... Join Now! Subscribe to TMBG Unlimited for one year and receive a limited edition TMBG Unltd. black pullover fleece jacket, the perfect gift for the upcoming holiday season (a $60 value). You'll also receive an autographed CD copy of the new They Might Be Giants rock release delivered to your door upon it's release in Spring 2001. Act now, this is a limited time offer! *-------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent by Emusic.com using Responsys Interact (TM). Click here if you prefer not to receive future e-mail from Emusic.com. Click here to view our permission marketing policy. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: 15 Nov 2000 13:52:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1237826145ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Kevin Keeler wrote: >so, what TMBG songs would you put on a single CD mix to best demonstrate >They're softer side, preferably with a 'love' theme. TMBG really don't have any love songs. Not typical ones anyway. Thats fine. The world already has enough love songs. They aren't big on emotion. Despite that, a lot of their stuff has an emotional impact to me ... like Don't Lets Start, I Can Hear You, Its So Loud in Here, Hovering Sombrero ...your results will vary. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:54:39 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8uv13i$sac$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p John Ferrer : > how are either of those > songs even slightly happy, besides the first verse of "Angel"? She's an Angel: Well, other than the first verse... There are the chorus lyrics "I kinda like that" and "the nicest things" that contribute to a general positive attitude. And in the second verse, he's going to ask for his admission into heaven, which I think is happy. He's ready to leave the world behind to be with her. I've Got a Match: Okay, this one's even more subjective. The positive vibe comes entirely from the fact that "your embrace and my collapse" are a match. Even though things aren't perfect (the hat is stupid-looking, one of them can't be trusted, etc) none of that matters, he still loves her. In fact, the smell of love is everywhere. It's true that neither one of these is puppy-dog happy, like New York City or First Kiss. But they're both songs of devoted love, which is generally a happier topic than a breakup. Bryce Bullets of pure love. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <38.de92e6a.27446299@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:05:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Love songs. Hm. Pet Name? Lydia Est 1837 ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <56.35cf074.27446d40@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:50:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Heck with all that, I just want the pullover ;) Lydia Picky and Odd since 1837 ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Christmas Songs (It's right there!) Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:40:05 GMT Message-ID: John Ferrer: >>I wouldn't call it a "joke", more of a "recurring nightmare." The Careless >>Santa >>thread comes up every year, much to many listies' chagrin. >> > >Um...*cough* not to bring it up via asking about people bringing it up, but >what do you mean? I've only been getting the list for a couple of months... Okay, here are the origins of the Careless Santa thing, as well as I can remember them: Back in November or December 1997 (which was shortly after I joined the list, but that's neither here nor there), someone was planning on making a TMBG-and-such Christmas mix tape, much as you are currently doing. This person (I forget who it was) started out with a list of Christmas songs, including "Careless Santa," but Matt James (who is apparently required by law to be involved in every running gag on this list) didn't notice it, and said something like, "Well, it's Mono Puff, not TMBG, but you might want to include Careless Santa," and this spawned a LOT of "Hey, what about Careless Santa?" replies. And now you know the rest of the story. Good-day. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:53:02 GMT Message-ID: Kevin Keeler: >Hi. I get riled enough when the stores and businesses start pressing me >(in a lovely seasonal fashion) for my xmas bucks before thanksgiving, not >to mention how they now seem to start around halloween. > >so whats all this talk about xmas mixes? Maybe it's because there aren't any good TMBG songs for a Thanksgiving mix? A Halloween mix, on the other hand, might well be possible. I actually tried to make such a thing a few Halloweens ago, and I have the tape right here, but I'm listening to something else right now, so I can't tell you its contents at the moment. >so, what TMBG songs would you put on a single CD mix to best demonstrate >They're softer side, preferably with a 'love' theme. i haven't thought >about it too much yet, but lets see what strikes me.... > >End of the tour (obvious one. le sigh) >if i wasnt shy Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. Maybe I'll have some ideas by the time I've listened to that Halloween mix. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:57:35 GMT Message-ID: >She's an Angel: >Well, other than the first verse... There are the chorus >lyrics "I kinda like that" and "the nicest things" that >contribute to a general positive attitude. And in the >second verse, he's going to ask for his admission into >heaven, which I think is happy. He's ready to leave the >world behind to be with her. > >I've Got a Match: >Okay, this one's even more subjective. The positive vibe >comes entirely from the fact that "your embrace and my >collapse" are a match. Even though things aren't perfect >(the hat is stupid-looking, one of them can't be trusted, >etc) none of that matters, he still loves her. In fact, the >smell of love is everywhere. > I'm going to have to heavily disagree with you on both. I think there has yet to be a TMBG song that anyone has actually gotten right, but I'm incredibly bored, so I'm going to offer my opinion, whether anyone cares or not. I think "Angel" is about a guy who has a perfect meeting with this girl, and she really likes him, and he likes her but his low self-esteem makes him think he's not worthy of her. He looks to Heaven for answers, but Heaven has other things to worry about, since the man in charge is on the other line. As for "I've Got A Match," I think it's another of Their money dead-love songs, and the lyrics take place right before he leaves the girl. "The smell of love is everywhere" is probably heavily sarcastic, as the tone of the whole song is extremely cruel, what with the rocks in the coffee mugs and the brief advice on who his former love can go to bed with. But I think "Snail Shell" is sarcastic too, so who knows. But what about "Pet Name"? No one's mentioned that one. I think that's one of Their few songs that does hint at some form of hope. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. It's rather sweet, and probably my favorite Flans song. _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Up Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:00:44 GMT Message-ID: Liam Kearns: >I guess you didn't read the whole description. > >I quote "In addition to getting exclusive monthly MP3s from TMBG, you'll >also receive unlimited access to ALL MP3s on EMusic." > >So it does sound like a good deal to me... Yeah, if you WANT any of the other MP3's on EMusic. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ They don't even have "Careless Santa"! _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:04:34 GMT Message-ID: Bongo: > TMBG really don't have any love songs. Not typical ones anyway. I'd say "First Kiss" is a fairly unequivocal love song. Someone else mentioned "New York City," but They didn't write that. Does anyone have any other examples? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Halloween Tape Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:32:31 GMT Message-ID: Okay, here are the songs that I put on the Halloween mix tape. I included some spooky stuff, and some stuff that was just paranoid (like "Cage And Aquarium"). Where Your Eyes Don't Go Hall Of Heads Dead Turn Around Cage And Aquarium I walk along darkened corridors Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Who's knocking on the wall? Dig My Grave Hide Away Folk Family Exquisite Dead Guy Who is that standing out the window? Note that this was before the release of Long Tall Weekend, so, if I ever update it, I'll probably add "Lullaby To Nightmares," as well as Mono Puff's "Creepy" and "Careless Santa." Any other suggestions? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <6a.87f7dbc.2744a5a9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:51:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG Love Songs (was: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p In a message dated 11/15/2000 5:08:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, bryce@tmbg.org writes: << It's true that neither one of these is puppy-dog happy, like New York City or First Kiss. >> I used to think First Kiss was a really sweet love song, but the more I listened to it, the more I came to think that it could also be about a guy who's so addicted to the thrill of a first kiss that he keeps looking for someone new to experience it (if it were made into a video, each verse would show him with a different gal). I don't think there is a bona-fide, non ironic TMBG love song, with the possible exception of "What is Everybody Staring At" which was cannibalized like a wrecked car for the sake of the kids album *sniff* It's always struck me as odd that TMBG can write such cynical, bittersweet songs yet choose such totally sappy love tunes to cover (NYC, We've Got a World That Swings, and Linnell's cover of "Will You Love Me in December as You Do in May" for House of Mayors spring to mind). Kay ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:18:22 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Message-ID: <20001115.191823.-2085009.1.Garrett27@juno.com> << Does anyone have any other examples? >> One of my favorite love songs ever: "We've Got a World That Swings"! It's such a sweet song! Garrett ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <382231389.974344453937.JavaMail.root@web585-ec.mail.com> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:13:45 -0500 (EST) From: Erin Morrow Subject: TMBG: Christmas Songs Ben Folds has a new song on the soundtrack for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." It's a lovely song with lyrics from the animated Grinch movie. If you think it's okay to put a recently-released song on your Christmas mix, I'd highly recommend Ben's. *sniff*sniff*SOB* BEN!!! -Erin * ----------------------------------------------- FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379926694.974344453897.JavaMail.root@web617-ec.mail.com> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:13:34 -0500 (EST) From: Erin Morrow Subject: TMBG: Christmas Songs Ben Folds has a new song on the soundtrack for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." It's a lovely song with lyrics from the animated Grinch movie. If you think it's okay to put a recently-released song on your Christmas mix, I'd highly recommend this Ben's. *sniff*sniff*SOB* BEN!!! -Erin * ----------------------------------------------- FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG Love Songs (was: TMBG: its not even thanksgiving. :p Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:56:46 GMT Message-ID: Kay: >I used to think First Kiss was a really sweet love song, but the more I >listened to it, the more I came to think that it could also be about a guy >who's so addicted to the thrill of a first kiss that he keeps looking for >someone new to experience it (if it were made into a video, each verse >would >show him with a different gal). Well, Flans said he intended it as a love song to his wife. If there were irony in it, I don't think Robin would have been very happy with it. I agree that it can be interpreted in an ironic way, but I don't know that this was intentional. >I don't think there is a bona-fide, non >ironic TMBG love song, with the possible exception of "What is Everybody >Staring At" which was cannibalized like a wrecked car for the sake of the >kids album *sniff* Has anyone heard the new children's version of the song? >It's always struck me as odd that TMBG can write such cynical, bittersweet >songs yet choose such totally sappy love tunes to cover (NYC, We've Got a >World That Swings, and Linnell's cover of "Will You Love Me in December as >You Do in May" for House of Mayors spring to mind). Maybe They have a desire to sing traditional-style love songs, but have songwriting handicaps that stop them from ever writing lyrics free from irony. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Some comments on TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:34:57 GMT Message-ID: Sorry if I accidentally sent a blank message before this one. Here's what I actually wanted to say. >Access advance material from They Might Be Giants' upcoming rock >album, >songs written for the hit show "Malcom In The Middle," >exclusive >selections from their Brass Orchestra project, and other >freakish gems >from deep in the TMBG vaults. Won't the "advance material" become worthless once the album comes out? I'm not sure it's worth paying just to hear the songs early. I wouldn't mind hearing those "freakish gems," though. >Interact with the Giants via low-fi cable TV style streaming videos of > >John F. and John L. performing off the cuff studio material new and >old, >cool animated Flash videos and access to exclusive webcasts, >contests and >chats. Yay! I get to sit around and watch the videos rebuffer for hours on end! >Subscribe to TMBG Unlimited for one year and receive a limited edition > >TMBG Unltd. black pullover fleece jacket, the perfect gift for the > >upcoming holiday season (a $60 value). It's only a $60 value if someone is willing to pay $60 for it. Is there anyone here who would be? On a more serious note, can you only sign up for TMBG Unlimited for a full year (with costs of $120, which is a LOT of money to give emusic, even if we ARE technically getting our money's worth), or is it possible to sign up for just a few months? And do you think they'll leave up MP3's from previous months? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #35-16 ******************************