Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #35-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 35, Number 21 Tuesday, 21 November 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Brass...? TMBG: Sock Monkey TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Re:TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Re: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Re: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Re[2]: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! TMBG: TLA Nov 24th Re: TMBG: Brass...? Re: TMBG: TLA Nov 24th Re: TMBG: TLA Nov 24th (none) TMBG: Re: Quotes TMBG: RE: quotes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:12:25 -0500 (EST) From: Jennivere Scagel Subject: TMBG: Brass...? Message-ID: kDoes anyone know why the Johns don't play any brass in live shows these days? They used to all the time, and now it seems they only do it very rarely - any ideas? ------------------------------ Date: 20 Nov 2000 06:24:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1237421024ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Sock Monkey Don't think this has been mentioned yet... John Flansburgh has written the introduction to Tony Millionaire's new "Sock Monkey" collection. I forget the exact title but it something like "The Adventures of Sock Monkey" His name is boldly displayed on the cover. The intro is only one page long. Anyway, Flans knows more about comics than I would have expected. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: 20 Nov 2000 10:48:40 -0800 Message-ID: <-1237405178ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Its about time for the annual list Thanksgiving tradition where someone brings up Tryptophyne (did I spell it right?). And then someone else points out that the whole turkey inducing drowsiness thing is a actually untrue. Then I say that if you really want to work up an appetite, listen to Lincoln's "Carversville" before dinner. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011209747.AA974749929@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:52:01 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! At any point in this tradition, is someone supposed to mention that you forgot "Careless Santa"? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Author: Bongo Date: 11/20/00 10:48 AM Its about time for the annual list Thanksgiving tradition where someone brings up Tryptophyne (did I spell it right?). And then someone else points out that the whole turkey inducing drowsiness thing is a actually untrue. Then I say that if you really want to work up an appetite, listen to Lincoln's "Carversville" before dinner. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A1981F2.4584@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:56:33 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Yep. After someone mentions "Tryptophane", as per tradition, then someone must ask if "Careless Santa" is part of that tradition. At that point, it must be pointed out by someone different than the first two people that "Careless Santa" must be mentioned at least two times after each mention of "Tryptophane". -The Official TMBG Thanksgiving Tradition Procedures Expert -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:41:11 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8vc5r0$b25$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! (voice-over) And so, from these humble beginnings came the tradition that has grown into what we now celebrate as Tryptophankgiving. This brief interchange would, under the force of greeting-card marketing, swell into a twelve-week festival of eating, dozing, and reminiscing which irrevocably warped the calendar of the civilized world. As the last moon of autumn rises in the night sky, and the children lounge around the fire to hear the Canticle of Careless Santa twice, their heads nodding in near-slumber, pause for a moment to remember the true meaning. Bryce I had to sing this twice. K.C. : > Yep. After someone mentions "Tryptophane", as per tradition, then > someone must ask if "Careless Santa" is part of that tradition. At that > point, it must be pointed out by someone different than the first two > people that "Careless Santa" must be mentioned at least two times after > each mention of "Tryptophane". > > -The Official TMBG Thanksgiving Tradition Procedures Expert > K.C. Kless ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011209747.AA974760737@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:52:09 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Thanksgiving dinner bell, dinner bell, ding! Now that's my idea of Thanksgiving. Nobody arguing over football-or-giant-ape-movies-on-TV, nobody getting sloshed waiting for the food to hit the table, nobody bitching cause the bottoms of the crescent rolls are burnt, nobody slamming her hands on the table and screeching (as we all knew she would, before the meal was through) "I Slave Over A Hot Stove ALL DAY, And This Is The Thanks I Get!!!!!!".... Gee, I wish I could cuddle up by the fire, stoned on tryptophan and sucking on a bird's legbone, and hear the old stories, the way they were told in the olden days: stories of Careless Santas, and Angels at dog shows, and birdhouses, and filthy scarecrows waving their broomstick arms, and it's always 4 of 2 and the bells are ringing and the shape just keeps on spiraling and spiraling and spiraling..... Those were the days Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01c05361$396aaf40$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: TLA Nov 24th Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:17:39 -0800 Is anyone on the list planning on attending this weeks Philly show? Jon "I fell down while making some toast"-Mark McKinney [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brass...? Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:28:54 -0000 Message-ID: Jennivere: >kDoes anyone know why the Johns don't play any brass in live shows these >days? They used to all the time, and now it seems they only do it very >rarely - any ideas? Probably money plays a part in it. It's more expensive to pay for horn players than for just the regular band. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.0.20001120184122.00afdc40@pop.haverford.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:42:26 -0500 From: Alexandra Kelly Subject: Re: TMBG: TLA Nov 24th yeah, I'm going to the tla show ... i'm getting excited. my friend went down to DC for the show there a few weeks ago and he said they were awesome ... ttfn, alex At 06:17 PM 11/20/00 -0800, you wrote: >Is anyone on the list planning on attending this weeks Philly show? > > >Jon > >"I fell down while making some toast"-Mark McKinney [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:14:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TLA Nov 24th I have plans to go and then hit the YWS show in NJ the night after. I'm ready to freeze out in the cold with everyone. It was a blast in Rochester and Boston. The only thing that will stop me is if they sell out before I get there. and some unrelated thing... The Avalon people were a-holes as usual, herding people out of the door like cattle. A guy was trying to push me out before TMBG were done playing. I'll let everyone know whe I start my web conspiracy to combat the stupidity of society. Right now I have work to do. ------------------------------ From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:49:04 +1100 Message-ID: Hi. I need some really excellent TMBG quotes. Ta, Sam "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" TMBG _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A1A0DED.8FF5BB14@stompbox.dhs.org> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 00:53:49 -0500 From: Matthew Krolak Subject: TMBG: Re: Quotes "Glittering white triangular tooth, opened a can of tomato juice. I've got a fang." *SUPER SPANGER* wrote: > > Hi. I need some really excellent TMBG quotes. > Ta, Sam > > "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful > Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" > TMBG > > _____________________________________________________________________________________ > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com -- I Bet You're Flying Inside -------------------------- Matthew Krolak Geek Code block: http://stompbox.dhs.org/~notplaid/gcb.txt http://stompbox.dhs.org Glistening white triangular tooth, open up a can of Tomato Juice - I've got a fang. TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Harry Oesterreicher" Subject: TMBG: RE: quotes Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:23:36 -0800 Message-ID: <000101c05383$95cee7c0$6401a8c0@littleo> what's that blue thing doing here? (proud to have this as my first post) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #35-21 ******************************