Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #35-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 35, Number 29 Thursday, 30 November 2000 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG: Some comments on the Philadelphia show TMBG: 2nd Try: TMBG Video Bootleg, Volume 4" is finally finished TMBG: Bootlegs?? TMBG: The Philly Show Re: TMBG: 2nd Try: TMBG Video Bootleg, Volume 4" is finally finished Re: TMBG: Some comments on the Philadelphia show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Harry Oesterreicher" Subject: RE: TMBG: Some comments on the Philadelphia show Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:38:36 -0800 Message-ID: <000301c059df$c498c820$6401a8c0@littleo> Nathan wrote, in his excellent review of the Philly show: <> I am pretty sure I heard them play it at RCKCNDY in Seattle on 11/18/96. The night before (11/17) They played an all ages show at the Moore Theatre. John Linnell said during that show "We're playing tomorrow night at a club with no vowels in it's name. I think it's around here somewhere. It'll be an oldies show, all songs from our first 3 albums." This was an amazing show! I'm pretty sure no tape exists, unless They made one . It seemed like there were maybe 50 people there. HarryO - Napoleon of the Stump ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A2522A8.CF1506DB@st.com> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:37:12 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: 2nd Try: TMBG Video Bootleg, Volume 4" is finally finished > > [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] Since my message didn't go through last time, I'll try again: Yes, after a wait of two years, the UN-official "TMBG Video Bootleg, Volume 4" is finally finished, and just in time for Christmas! Now you can see the Kablam video of "Why Does The Sun Shine?". Did you miss "Brave New World" last year? See Dan Hickey battle the robot "Cog". See John and John as grunge rockers, as detectives, and as leaders of a hillbilly band, as they perform three original songs, in addition to "Older". Missed seeing TMBG on the Daily Show's millenium special? Now you can see and hear their goodbye song to endangered species. Didn't catch John Linnell and The Statesmen on tour? Now you can watch an in-store appearance! See not one, but two home-made versions of the "Fingertips" video--done by both "Women and Men"! See John Linnell sing "Montana" and TMBG sing "You're Not the Boss Of Me" on the Conan O'Brian show. If you have videos to trade, contact me privately at mailto:russj@tmbg.org (I'm still missing the other Kablam video.) If you have nothing to trade, then send me a check for seven US dollars to get a copy on high quality tape. Make it ten US dollars if you live outside of North America. Russ Josephson 1217 N Aspen Dr. Berthoud, Colorado 80513-1040 Check out the following link for more information, including snapshots from the video: http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg4.htm ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ From: BillN33b@aol.com Message-ID: <1e.dc7ac7e.27568340@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:05:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Bootlegs?? Anyone have recommendations on bootleg recording equipment?? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks... Bill N. ------------------------------ From: MDthief@aol.com Message-ID: <5e.3fa0413.2756a3d5@aol.com> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:24:21 EST Subject: TMBG: The Philly Show In response to the post about not liking the improv at the end of Spy, i thought it was fantastic. Perhaps it was because the Philly show was my first TMBG show so every moment was absolutely great, but i thought that Flans was really having fun with it and it was great to watch the band have such a great time, despite the dancing pot head and the PA system. I had a fantastic time and was elated when they closed the show with New York City, it's my favorite TMBG song. Also, three of my friends were fortunate enough to strum Flans' guitar, i was close, but not quite close enough, though being in the front row was incredible. Someone had asked earlier if anyone bootlegged the show and no one replied. I know i'd love to have a copy of the show, it was a great experience and i would love to be able to re-live it through the magic of illegal bootlegs. :) ~The Queen of Gish~ ------------------------------ Date: 29 Nov 2000 11:07:55 -0800 Message-ID: <-1236626423ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: 2nd Try: TMBG Video Bootleg, Volume 4" is finally finished Great! I missed most of those TV appearances. Volumes 1-3 were excellent. I highly recommend all of them (or at least the ones that are still available.) -B O N G O Russ Josephson wrote: >> >> [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] >Since my message didn't go through last time, I'll try again: > >Yes, after a wait of two years, the UN-official >"TMBG Video Bootleg, Volume 4" is finally finished, >and just in time for Christmas! > >Now you can see the Kablam video of "Why Does >The Sun Shine?". > >Did you miss "Brave New World" last year? >See Dan Hickey battle the robot "Cog". >See John and John as grunge rockers, as detectives, >and as leaders of a hillbilly band, as they perform >three original songs, in addition to "Older". > >Missed seeing TMBG on the Daily Show's millenium >special? Now you can see and hear their goodbye >song to endangered species. > >Didn't catch John Linnell and The Statesmen on >tour? Now you can watch an in-store appearance! > >See not one, but two home-made versions of the >"Fingertips" video--done by both "Women and Men"! > >See John Linnell sing "Montana" and TMBG sing >"You're Not the Boss Of Me" on the Conan O'Brian >show. > >If you have videos to trade, contact me privately >at mailto:russj@tmbg.org >(I'm still missing the other Kablam video.) >If you have nothing to trade, then send me a check >for seven US dollars to get a copy on high quality tape. >Make it ten US dollars if you live outside of >North America. > >Russ Josephson >1217 N Aspen Dr. >Berthoud, Colorado 80513-1040 > >Check out the following link for more information, >including snapshots from the video: >http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg4.htm > >======================================================================== >Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah >Berthoud, Colorado, USA >mailto:russj@juno.com > >"... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson >"I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria >"It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 >======================================================================== > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:43:02 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <904b7m$2pie$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Some comments on the Philadelphia show "Matthew Krolak" wrote in message news:3A24841F.3A55550@stompbox.dhs.org... > Really? I always liked the improv thing at the end of spy, particularly > the version on the end of spy from the Why Does the Sun Shine single. > OK, so musically it isn't pure TMBG brilliance, but the Johns have fun > with it on stage, and its fun to watch when they're having fun. Perfect > example was the show in NYC with the brass band, they were running > around the stage, directing the brass section from offstage, with only > one arm showing from offstage etc etc etc. Long live silliness with > little point :) > > PRMega@aol.com wrote: > > > > << Spy: Do they have to do this one at EVERY concert? It takes too long, and > > is made up largely of random noise. This particular performance was okay, > > as far as "Spy" goes (it included Flans singing parts of Ace of Base's "The > > Sign"), but I still could have done without it.>> > > > > My favorite version of Spy was done recently (A few weeks ago, in Rochester, > > I think), where they played the song, but ended it without the improv stuff > > at the end. That made the song so much better, IMO. > > > > PR Mega > > -- > I Bet You're Flying Inside > -------------------------- > Matthew Krolak > Geek Code block: http://stompbox.dhs.org/~notplaid/gcb.txt > http://stompbox.dhs.org > Glistening white triangular tooth, open up a can of > Tomato Juice - I've got a fang. TMBG I always liked the EMusic webcast version best. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #35-29 ******************************