Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #35-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 35, Number 3 Friday, 3 November 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: question-- opener? Re: TMBG: James K Polk TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited TMBG: Re: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Re:TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: James K Polk Re:TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Re:TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Re: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Re[2]: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: James K Polk Re: TMBG: James K Polk Re: TMBG: James K Polk Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Kelly Michele Marks" Message-Id: <10011020907.ZM2539@unity.ncsu.edu> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:07:58 -0500 Subject: TMBG: question-- opener? Just wondered if anyone had any idea if there was an opener for Them this Friday in DC. If so, is it known who? Also.. any specualtions about what time They might take the stage? I'm driving in from a ways a ways and going to be cutting it close I fear. Thanks for any help, kelly* *very longtime lurker and almost never poster ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:49:43 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk In Q magazine this month there is an article 'Rocking in the Free World - The 20 most entertaining presidents of the United States', and a number 9:- James K Polk (1845-1849) Strict Presbyterian Democrat whose wife banned dancing in the White House. Staff were forced to have a quick dance outside the fire exits. True!? Does anyone have any other facts about our favourite President? So, any of you lot going to vote for Ralph next week? Are any of you going to vote at all!? Richard ~ living with the floods in little old England ------------------------------ Date: 02 Nov 2000 06:33:06 -0800 Message-ID: <-1238975712ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >...but I WILL ask if anyone else has information on this TMBG Unlimited thing >that Flansburgh mentioned on Dial-A-Song. There doesn't seem to be >anythingup on emusic or theymightbegiants.com as of yet. This is the first I heard of "TMBG Unlimited". Six songs for 10 dollars, every month for a year. That's about $1.67 a song which doesn't sound bad then again $120.00 a year is a lot. In one year, you would be paying more for these MP3s than all the TMBG albums together! I think $5 would be more fair since that puts it closer to the price of a CD5. And unlike a CD single, these will be of slightly less than CD quality, there will be no artwork and you still have to go through the hassle of converting them and burning them to CD. (If you even have a CD-R drive.) And for that we're paying more than any song on an album. I have respectfully say to the Johns and emusic that's a rip off. (But I'll still sign up the second it becomes available!) -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:02:37 -0500 Message-ID: Come one people!!! Don't buy the songs!! I think that you all have to realize that this is more of a rip off than LTW or WUFTM put together. Bongo hit the nail on the head, we are paying more for less than cd quality songs because they dont have a record label. I realize the troubles in getting signed etc, and I was a HUGE opponent of the Mp3 only albums. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bongo" To: Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:33 AM Subject: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited > Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > >...but I WILL ask if anyone else has information on this TMBG Unlimited thing > >that Flansburgh mentioned on Dial-A-Song. There doesn't seem to be > >anythingup on emusic or theymightbegiants.com as of yet. > > > This is the first I heard of "TMBG Unlimited". Six songs for 10 dollars, > every month for a year. That's about $1.67 a song which doesn't sound bad then > again $120.00 a year is a lot. > > In one year, you would be paying more for these MP3s than all the TMBG > albums together! I think $5 would be more fair since that puts it closer > to the price of a CD5. And unlike a CD single, these will be of slightly > less than CD quality, there will be no artwork and you still have to go > through the hassle of converting them and burning them to CD. (If you even > have a CD-R drive.) And for that we're paying more than any song on an album. > I have respectfully say to the Johns and emusic that's a rip off. > (But I'll still sign up the second it becomes available!) > > > -B O N G O > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A01838C.492A@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:09:00 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Well, even before Christina painted her picture, I wasn't going to buy the songs. It's just too much damn money. I wish they'd just sign with Restless or somebody they know and quit with this crap. I like mp3s, but it's not the time for more mp3 thingies. It's time for real albums. And I don't care whether it's CD quality or not, 10$ for 6 songs is just plain expensive. It is a rip off. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:09:17 -0500 Message-ID: The mail got sent before i finished or spell checked or anything here it is in its entirity Come on people!!! Don't buy the songs!! I think that you all have to realize that this is more of a rip off than LTW or WUFTM put together. Bongo hit the nail on the head, we are paying more for less than cd quality songs because they dont have a record label. I realize the troubles in getting signed etc, and I was a HUGE opponent of the Mp3 only albums, but 15 dollar mp3 only albums like 2-3 times a year is quite suffiencient to satisfy our taste for TMBG. This isn't fan friendly AT ALL!! This could cause to allienate more fans, and I think that this could be more dangerous than placating the hardcore fans and their need for TMBG. So, don't stand for it. Write emails to emusic and the info club. Tell them its a rip off and you wont buy it at the current prices. That's the only way to get it done. Are you really willing to pay 120 a year for mp3 quality TMBG songs?! I certainly am not. Chrissy ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011029731.AA973178659@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:24:16 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Just checking in w/mho.... Have we all heard DaS's "I've Got a Fang"? How many of us would pay $!.60 for it, honestly?? Tho I might sign up for a month or so, in order to get the autographed CD & the jacket.... I do like the idea of having access to their archival stuff & outtakes & rarities without having to resort to blackmarket means. How would people respond to the offer if, for $10 per month, there was no limit on the number of tracks you could d/l? Would that strike people as a worthy investment? I think the idea itself is a good one, They might just need to revamp some of the particulars to make it a more attractive, less risky offer. Maybe we could negotiate for a better deal... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <37.c3ef33b.2732e8d4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:57:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk Ralph Nader all the way baby! Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ From: "Chris Haufschild" Subject: Re:TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:34:30 CST Message-ID: I, too agree that although it is wonderful that TMBG have been pioneers in the realm of digital music, I cannot see putting such a large price tag for online music via TMBG Unlimited. Not only are there some fans who do not have the equipment necessary to get these songs, but paying a large upfront sum for a bunch of mystery songs just seems strange to me. If They think that Unlimited is mainly a for-fan venture (as I would imagine they do) I think that they should listen to (what I would think would be) the majority of fans who would rather just have these "new" mp3s on CD - as far as not having a label - has there ever been talk of TMBG starting a label...just seems that (although it would be a hefty investment to be sure) They would be able to put together a great one.... Well...that is about all the ramblings I dare put into one message... Chris Haufschild tryptophane@tmbg.org _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re:TMBG: DONT STAND FOR IT RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:45:08 GMT Message-ID: Karin: > Have we all heard DaS's "I've Got a Fang"? How many of us would pay >$!.60 >for it, honestly?? Yeah, that's a lot for a high-quality song, and it's probably way too much for an outtake, which this song will probably end up being. > I do like the idea of having access to their archival stuff & outtakes >& >rarities without having to resort to blackmarket means. How would people >respond to the offer if, for $10 per month, there was no limit on the >number of >tracks you could d/l? Would that strike people as a worthy investment? > I think the idea itself is a good one, They might just need to revamp >some >of the particulars to make it a more attractive, less risky offer. Maybe >we >could negotiate for a better deal... How do you know we won't GET a better deal? Sure, it sounds like a rip-off now, but we don't even have an official word from emusic or tmbg.com, just a vague description from Dial-A-Song. I'm hoping there will be more to it than that, and Flans was mentioning only ONE of its aspects. Maybe we should find out for sure before flying into a rage about it. (Now, if we get the official word from emusic, and it turns out to be nothing more than six songs a month, perhaps the rage would be justified.) -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A025414.DD3DE828@uswest.net> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:58:44 -0600 From: James & Kimberly Mohan Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200011021834.NAA11491@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:34:04 -0500 (EST) Where is this price information? Is there a URL? The Dial-a-song service just said to go to emusic.com but I don't see anything about TMBG Unlimited on there. -Matt > > hmmmm....72 songs for $120.00. > > Or, let's look at it this way... TMBG's 1st 4 albums [self-titled, Lincoln, Flood, > and Apollo 18] contained a total of 94 songs...even if I took away all of > "Fingertips", that'd still leave 73 songs. I certainly paid less than $20 for each > CD. This means I paid less than $80 for 73 songs! > > I'm not knocking They as a band, but this deal really bites! > > Jim > Shoehorn with Teeth > > Bongo wrote: > > > This is the first I heard of "TMBG Unlimited". Six songs for 10 dollars, > > every month for a year. That's about $1.67 a song which doesn't sound bad then > > again $120.00 a year is a lot. > > --------------68528E34B5845EFC56809E6F > Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > > > > hmmmm....72 songs for $120.00. >

Or, let's look at it this way... TMBG's 1st 4 albums [self-titled, > Lincoln, Flood, and Apollo 18] contained a total of 94 songs...even > if I took away all of "Fingertips", that'd still leave 73 songs.  > I certainly paid less than $20 for each CD.  This means I paid less > than $80 for 73 songs! >

I'm not knocking They as a band, but this deal really bites! >

Jim >
Shoehorn with Teeth >

Bongo wrote: >

This is the first I heard of "TMBG Unlimited". > Six songs for 10 dollars, >
 every month for a year. That's about $1.67 a song which doesn't > sound bad then >
 again $120.00 a year is a lot.
> > > --------------68528E34B5845EFC56809E6F-- > ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011029731.AA973191437@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:57:14 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Matt sez: >Where is this price information? Is there a URL? The Dial-a-song service just said to go to emusic.com but I don't see anything about TMBG Unlimited on there.< Yeah, now that I think about it, where did the 6 songs/$10 come from? On DaS, John F says that it will be $9.95 per month, but he never said anything about how many songs per mo. That number seems to have just floated in on a re:, and now we're all considering it carved in stone. Should we all just start going "baaa", or is that 6 songs based, in fact, in fact...?? Splain this stuff to me, pleeze.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200011021906.OAA18027@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:06:02 -0500 (EST) I got this from emusic.... Hi, Thank you for your interest in EMusic.com. There will be a special subscription deal for TMBG content, it just isn't available yet. I would check back on our home page periodically for more information about the service. EMusic.com Service Ann > > Matt sez: > >Where is this price information? Is there a URL? > The Dial-a-song service just said to go to emusic.com > but I don't see anything about TMBG Unlimited on there.< > > Yeah, now that I think about it, where did the 6 songs/$10 come from? > On DaS, John F says that it will be $9.95 per month, but he never said anything > about how many songs per mo. That number seems to have just floated in on a > re:, and now we're all considering it carved in stone. Should we all just start > going "baaa", or is that 6 songs based, in fact, in fact...?? > Splain this stuff to me, pleeze.... > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:59:29 +0200 From: "Lior Gallimidi" Message-ID: <8tsdl3$1hn4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited I think he said that there will be about half a dozen, but people seem to forget that doesnt include the concert bootleg. ---- Lior http://go.to/galga wrote in message news:0011029731.AA973191437@smtplink.sterl.com... > Matt sez: > >Where is this price information? Is there a URL? > The Dial-a-song service just said to go to emusic.com > but I don't see anything about TMBG Unlimited on there.< > > Yeah, now that I think about it, where did the 6 songs/$10 come from? > On DaS, John F says that it will be $9.95 per month, but he never said anything > about how many songs per mo. That number seems to have just floated in on a > re:, and now we're all considering it carved in stone. Should we all just start > going "baaa", or is that 6 songs based, in fact, in fact...?? > Splain this stuff to me, pleeze.... > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 19:14:59 GMT Message-ID: Karin: >Matt sez: > >Where is this price information? Is there a URL? >The Dial-a-song service just said to go to emusic.com >but I don't see anything about TMBG Unlimited on there.< > >Yeah, now that I think about it, where did the 6 songs/$10 come from? >On DaS, John F says that it will be $9.95 per month, but he never said >anything >about how many songs per mo. That number seems to have just floated in on >a >re:, and now we're all considering it carved in stone. Should we all just >start >going "baaa", or is that 6 songs based, in fact, in fact...?? >Splain this stuff to me, pleeze.... Someone must have recorded this, right? Or at least heard it enough times to have it memorized? I know Flans said something about six (or maybe "half a dozen") songs per month, but I don't exactly recall the context. Let's have an exact quote! Not that this will provide the answer (let's face it; those Dial-A-Song messages are incredibly vague, and sometimes inaccurate), but we'll at least have something other than our overactive imaginations on which to base the information. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011029731.AA973194045@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:40:41 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited Nathan sez: >Someone must have recorded this, right? Or at least heard it enough times to have it memorized? I know Flans said something about six (or maybe "half a dozen") songs per month, but I don't exactly recall the context. Let's have an exact quote! Not that this will provide the answer (let's face it; those Dial-A-Song messages are incredibly vague, and sometimes inaccurate), but we'll at least have something other than our overactive imaginations on which to base the information.< Okay, you're right, I just listened to it again (thank god for "free when you call from work"!)and he says "about a half-dozen songs". I just had to speed my ears up to match his rate of speech.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:58:02 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8tsh1g$1jl6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited It occurs to me that these prices are intentionally inflated, to account for piracy in advance. Consumer software does this too, to some extent. I mean, it's still mp3s, so what's to stop a group of people from splitting the cost and sharing the files? Nothing as far as I can see. So some extra burden falls on the honest folks like us. Bryce ------------------------------ Date: 02 Nov 2000 14:04:30 -0800 Message-ID: <-1238948628ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Bryce wrote: >It occurs to me that these prices are intentionally inflated, to account for >piracy in advance. Consumer software does this too, to some extent. I >mean, it's still mp3s, so what's to stop a group of people from splitting >the cost and sharing the files? Nothing as far as I can see. So some extra >burden falls on the honest folks like us. I was thinking the same thing. LTW is always available on Napster. This is the Johns' revenge. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A021C52.63F0@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 21:00:50 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited If TMBG Unlimited is anything like emusic Unlimited, then our deal isn't so bad. On emusic.com they say if you pay the fee, you get unlimited downloads of emusic material. THis is different, I assume, from TMBG Unlimited, but if TMBG did a montly rate and unlimited download within that month, that sounds better to me. We'll just have to wait and see. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A021EBF.4DC1@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 21:11:11 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk For all who care, I've already voted (absentee ballot), and done so for Gore. Many of my college comrades love Nader, but little do they realize the way for a party to grow is to win elections, not get presidential publicity. If I were a Green, I'd start at the local level. Then again, if I had my choice, if I had a two-party system, I'd at least make it so my gov't ended up being effective (see UK). I'm sick of political science knowledge creating rants in my brain... And I'm sick of this American life. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 03:13:37 GMT Message-ID: > >For all who care, I've already voted (absentee ballot), and done so for >Gore. Many of my college comrades love Nader, but little do they realize >the way for a party to grow is to win elections, not get presidential >publicity. If I were a Green, I'd start at the local level. Then again, >if I had my choice, if I had a two-party system, I'd at least make it so >my gov't ended up being effective (see UK). > >I'm sick of political science knowledge creating rants in my brain... >And I'm sick of this American life. > The best reason for voting for Nader is to show that America is ready for a larger choice. There's no way he's going to win, but if he gets a significant portion of the votes, then other parties will have a better chance in four years, because people will start to realize that there are more than two clear choices. If people don't realize that, things are going to get worse and worse. What's a democracy good for when it's a democracy like this? Two isn't a choice. Vote for Nader. Of course, the ultimate plan is to get the Johns in as running mates. When do we TMBG fans get our own party? _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:53:41 -0500 Message-ID: umm when (if) nader gets 5% of the national popular vote the green party for the next election qualifies for matching funds from the presidential campaign fund as well as their canditate gets on the ballot in every state. Since this was a great deal of Nader's problems this election and last, it would save time and energy trying to petition to get on state ballots, and that time could be spent on trying to get votes. THIS helps a party grow, and helps them to win elections in the long run. Also, only in states where the contest if very close (about 7 states) is a vote for Nader a vote for Bush. (and even that isnt entirely true) Due to the winner take all electoral college system, whoever wins an election in a state gets all those states electoral votes. For example, in NY Bush knows Gore knows that Gore is going to win.. so a vote for Nader is something that can effect the 5% national popular vote and help the green party next election I am sick of MY political science knowledge in my brain. Here's to my degree! Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: "K.C." To: "Richard Hilton" Cc: Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:11 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: James K Polk > For all who care, I've already voted (absentee ballot), and done so for > Gore. Many of my college comrades love Nader, but little do they realize > the way for a party to grow is to win elections, not get presidential > publicity. If I were a Green, I'd start at the local level. Then again, > if I had my choice, if I had a two-party system, I'd at least make it so > my gov't ended up being effective (see UK). > > I'm sick of political science knowledge creating rants in my brain... > And I'm sick of this American life. > > -- > K.C. Kless > "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." > Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports > Campaign Manager, OUK 2000 > docworm@tmbg.org, docworm@theavalanche.net > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #35-3 *****************************