Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #35-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 35, Number 4 Saturday, 4 November 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Cabbgetown TMBG: TMBG Tour Dates/ Themes Re: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited TMBG: emusic & TMBG unlimited TMBG: the cheap solution to that whole UNLIMITED thing Re: TMBG: the cheap solution to that whole UNLIMITED thing Re: TMBG: the cheap solution to that whole UNLIMITED thing TMBG: Is Flans Republican? TMBG: Re: Is Flans Republican? TMBG: Re: Nixon Re:TMBG: Re: Nixon TMBG: Tribute album #2 - DEADLINE - TMBG: Twistid mentions TMBG unlimited TMBG: Linnell Interview Re: TMBG: Re: Nixon Re:TMBG: Re: Nixon Re[2]:TMBG: Re: Nixon TMBG: Article in New York Magazine TMBG: Re: mmm, escargot! Re: TMBG: Re: mmm, escargot! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Cabbgetown Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 00:22:06 -0800 Message-ID: Does anyone have the chords to cabbgetown? Or can you figure them out or something? Pretty Please, Erich ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20001103054230.00ae57c0@email.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 05:51:10 -0500 From: Saurav Bhowmik ! Subject: TMBG: TMBG Tour Dates/ Themes Hello everyone - My friend Alice Teeple and I are currently in State College Pennsylvania and are planning on traveling up to NYC to see some of the "themed" concerts that John and John are performing. Our questions are few: 1) What nights are the different "themes" being performed? (Flood night, etc). Specifics are welcome. 2) How do we obtain tickets? How much are the aforementioned tickets? 3) Would anyone traveling from Pennsylvania be willing to roadtrip with us? Of course, posting the URLs where this information could be obtained would be kosher as well. Although replies to the list are always welcome, I would prefer it if you folks were able to contact me directly: swerve@psu.edu Thanks a bundle! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A037464.25641D@uswest.net> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 20:28:52 -0600 From: James & Kimberly Mohan Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:TMBG Unlimited I first heard about all this through this TMBG-List..... My reasoning is based on what has been said here. If I'm mistaken, it's because I've been misinformed. My apologies... Matt James wrote: > Where is this price information? Is there a URL? > The Dial-a-song service just said to go to emusic.com > but I don't see anything about TMBG Unlimited on there. > -Matt > > > > hmmmm....72 songs for $120.00. > > > > Or, let's look at it this way... TMBG's 1st 4 albums [self-titled, Lincoln, Flood, > > and Apollo 18] contained a total of 94 songs...even if I took away all of > > "Fingertips", that'd still leave 73 songs. I certainly paid less than $20 for each > > CD. This means I paid less than $80 for 73 songs! > > > > I'm not knocking They as a band, but this deal really bites! > > > > Jim > > Shoehorn with Teeth > > > > Bongo wrote: > > > > > This is the first I heard of "TMBG Unlimited". Six songs for 10 dollars, > > > every month for a year. That's about $1.67 a song which doesn't sound bad then > > > again $120.00 a year is a lot. ------------------------------ From: "Adam Piontek" Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:27:42 -0600 Subject: TMBG: emusic & TMBG unlimited Message-Id: <14340591616132@mirage.tcinternet.net> Maybe I read my digest too quickly, but it seems that no one has mentioned EMusic's "Unlimited" subscription service. I have one. I pay $9.99 a month, and I can download *all* the music on EMusic.com. Anything I want, it's mine. The only limit is my time and bandwidth. So my concern is this: If there is to be a special TMBG subscription, will I, as a general EMusic subscriber, *not* have access to these "special" songs? I know this is just something that was mentioned on DAS, and not exactly an official deal yet, but basically I see that as a possibility and it bothers me. The other possibility is that, as an EMusic subscriber, I'll be able to get any new TMBG songs just because they're there, and so I won't have to worry about the special TMBG subscription. The third possibility, which seems most likely to me, is that "TMBG Unlimited" is only a special version of the regular EMusic subscription. Since I pay $9.99/month for full access to EMusic, I highly doubt that a special TMBG subscription would have the same cost but only give you access to a few new tracks a month. That would be rediculously paradoxical. So my bet is that if/when TMBG Unlimited takes effect, those of you signing up will get your special jacket or whatever, and full access to EMusic, whereas I, who signed up for EMusic Unlimited four months ago, got no special jacket and stuff. I would be that that's the only difference... -adam (usually a lurker...) -- Adam Piontek [http://www.tcinternet.net/users/damek/] ICQ: 3456339 [damek@earthling.net] ... Four kinds of homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy... -- Ambrose Bierce ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:42:22 EST Subject: TMBG: the cheap solution to that whole UNLIMITED thing Message-ID: The beauty of this is that it is unlimited downloads, like somebody said. That means you get all their old stuff (that we all probably already have) plus their new stuff. The cheap solution is to wait a few months and then pay the $10 bucks for one month, and download all the new songs that have accumilated. The longer you wait the more songs you get for your $10 ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: the cheap solution to that whole UNLIMITED thing Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 17:03:50 GMT Message-ID: Gegatron: >The beauty of this is that it is unlimited downloads, like somebody said. >That means you get all their old stuff (that we all probably already have) >plus their new stuff. The cheap solution is to wait a few months and then >pay the $10 bucks for one month, and download all the new songs that have >accumilated. The longer you wait the more songs you get for your $10 They might delete the old songs from their server, like they did with the freebies, leaving you with no more than you would have gotten anyway. Besides, I think it costs more than $10 if you purchase on a month-by-month basis, and the album and pullover offer might not be valid in a few months. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ After that last Simpsons episode, maybe I should change my signature. _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <14.b14ce97.27345562@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 12:52:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: the cheap solution to that whole UNLIMITED thing I don't think you would get all the other goodies that come with unlimited for only signing up for a month. I heard there would be a monthly TMBG magazine. Also if you do that the price is 14.99 per month. ------------------------------ Date: 03 Nov 2000 11:23:02 -0800 Message-ID: <-1238871916ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Is Flans Republican? This is something I've been meaning to bring up and now is the perfect time. Is Flans Republican? The first Mono Puff album contained "Nixon's the One". That was a Nixon campaign slogan and the song seems to glorify him. I don't sense any sarcasm in the lyrics. He seems to sympathize with Nixon in "Cyclops Rock" (The line goes something like: "I'm sick, like Nixon was sick but my defeated heart keeps beating on") Finally, I got postcard from the info club with Nixon's forehead on it. I'm asking if Flans is Republican for the sake of discussion. I think I know the answer but I'd like to hear your impressions on "Nixon's The One". What do you make of that recording? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 21:36:01 +0200 From: "Lior Gallimidi" Message-ID: <8tv45j$2oev$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Is Flans Republican? Listen to what flansburgh says.. ftp://199.44.161.81/(MonoPuff)-05Interview.mp3 this is from the twistid site ------------ Lior Http://go.to/galga "Bongo" wrote in message news:-1238871916ggr@wlg.com... > > This is something I've been meaning to bring up and now is the perfect > time. Is Flans Republican? The first Mono Puff album contained "Nixon's > the One". That was a Nixon campaign slogan and the song seems to glorify > him. I don't sense any sarcasm in the lyrics. He seems to sympathize with > Nixon in "Cyclops Rock" (The line goes something like: "I'm sick, like > Nixon was sick but my defeated heart keeps beating on") Finally, I got > postcard from the info club with Nixon's forehead on it. > > I'm asking if Flans is Republican for the sake of discussion. I think I > know the answer but I'd like to hear your impressions on "Nixon's The One". > What do you make of that recording? > > -B O N G O > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:05:49 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <8tv5s3$2p85$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Nixon Richard M. Bongo tells you this: > The first Mono Puff album contained "Nixon's > the One". That was a Nixon campaign slogan and the song seems to glorify > him. I don't sense any sarcasm in the lyrics. It could be sarcastic, or not, either interpretation would fit. I think that the narrator of Snail Shell is sarcastic, but how can I prove it with the lyrics? The ambiguity seems to be intentional, judging by their own reluctance to discuss what songs "are about." > He seems to sympathize with > Nixon in "Cyclops Rock" (The line goes something like: "I'm sick, like > Nixon was sick but my defeated heart keeps beating on") Finally, I got > postcard from the info club with Nixon's forehead on it. Okay, in the next line of Cyclops Rock, he compares himself to Chucky, but I don't think it's out of respect. I think they're just using the cultural icon of Nixon as a metaphor that people will understand. Bryce The man has culture references. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011039732.AA973282966@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 15:22:42 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Nixon Bryce sez: >It could be sarcastic, or not, either interpretation would fit. I think that the narrator of Snail Shell is sarcastic, but how can I prove it with the lyrics?< Where do you see sarcasm in Snail Shell? Except for that nyah-nyah sounding "snailshell"...."thankyou" back & forth, the song strikes me as a pretty straightforward musing on how screwed a snail would be if he suddenly found himself shell-less, & how he might appreciate (so far as a slime-based organism is capable of appreciation)a little assistance. Show me, I feel like I can't see the "invisible" 3D picture..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <004c01c045d4$ec88de70$347e8d93@ssga.ssb.com> From: "Mike Lebovitz" Subject: TMBG: Tribute album #2 - DEADLINE - Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:30:36 -0500 Hi! Mike from We Might Be Giants, Too here. In case you haven't heard, we've finally gotten to doing the second TMBG tribute album. And we even have deadlines to back it up! Songs - the important thing. Send tapes to Dan Kurtz, 4 Bald hill Drive, Franklin MA, 02038. You can also email him a link (not the actual file) at skanker-x@juno.com . He'll answer your questions at that address as well. Sending something in doesn't mean you'll be on #2, but it does give you a better chance than if you didn't. ~DEADLINE IS JANUARY 1, 2001~ Art work - We need someone to do the front, back, inserts ... lay them all out and get them off to the printer. But as for right now, we just need ideas. Send sketches, scans, etc (or links to them) to IronChefMike@netzero.net . If you need to mail them, send them to Mike Lebovitz, 18 Grand View Ave #1, Somerville MA, 02143 ~DEADLINE FOR IDEAS IS THANKSGIVING~ Any questions? Visit our web page at http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey , or write me (Mike!) at IronChefMike@netzero.net . I cannot stay on the tmbg-list as my job doesn't approve, so I will not be able to read anything you write to me here, so please write any comments, questions to IronChefMike@netzero.net . Thanks, and good luck! -mike [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005001c045ee$7a3fabe0$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Twistid mentions TMBG unlimited Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:33:30 -0800 This is from a recent newsupdate on the Twistid tmbg mp3 site. "Got this email from Micheal Tanaka at Emusic today. Printed below is the verbatim information. I will be sure to keep you posted: I wanted to drop you a note a few days in advance to let you in on a new development we will be going live with on Nov. 1st. We will be giving away FREE trial subscriptions to EMusic Unlimited! Customers will be able to have complete access to our extensive catalog of over 130,000 legal MP3's, risk free. They will be able to download up to 100 free MP3's and then decide if they would like to continue on with their subscription. In addition, we are gearing up for the launch of TMBG Unlimited, which is a customized subscription service created especially for TMBG fans. I can't get too into this right now, because we are still finalizing things. But I can tell you that TMBG are in the studio right now recording special songs only for these subscribers. In addition, there will be special content including webcasts, chats, Flash videos and interviews. We will also be giving away fleece jackets to the first 2000 subscribers. Wow...all of this sounds awesome. Like I said, I will keep everyone posted." Jon "I fell down while making some toast"-Mark McKinney [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:53:56 EST Subject: TMBG: Linnell Interview Hello All, I've only been skimming through this list lately so forgive me if this has been mentioned...There is an interview with Linnell at: http://www.nudeasthenews.com --click the picture of Them to get to the interview! it's a music news, reviews, and interviews page! Amber~ ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Nixon Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:59:48 GMT Message-ID: Bryce: >Richard M. Bongo tells you this: > > The first Mono Puff album contained "Nixon's > > the One". That was a Nixon campaign slogan and the song seems to glorify > > him. I don't sense any sarcasm in the lyrics. > >It could be sarcastic, or not, either interpretation would fit. I think that, together with Flansburgh's comments about Nixon (can't remember where I heard them, but he wasn't too fond of the guy), the lyrics were probably sarcastic. I've also read that Linnell wasn't too fond of Polk, even though the lyrics to that song could possibly be seen as glorification. I don't see "James K. Polk" as being sarcastic, though; Linnell probably just didn't see seizing the southwest from Mexico and making the English sell the Oregon Territory as good things (although many Americans at the time probably did). As for Flansburgh's politics, didn't he once, before performing "Battle For The Planet Of The Apes," say something along the lines of "Apes on the right, people on the left, just like in politics"? Doesn't exactly sound like something a Republican would say. Didn't someone ask about the Johns' politics once? Or was that just Linnell? I remember Linnell saying that he was registered Independent, and that he usually votes for the loser, but I don't recall a quote from Flans. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Nixon Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 22:00:46 GMT Message-ID: Karin: >Bryce sez: > >It could be sarcastic, or not, either interpretation would fit. I think >that the narrator of Snail Shell is sarcastic, but how can I prove it with >the lyrics?< > >Where do you see sarcasm in Snail Shell? Except for that nyah-nyah >sounding >"snailshell"...."thankyou" back & forth, the song strikes me as a pretty >straightforward musing on how screwed a snail would be if he suddenly found >himself shell-less, & how he might appreciate (so far as a slime-based >organism >is capable of appreciation)a little assistance. Well, if you take it that literally, it's not sarcastic, but you could see the song as someone sarcastically saying, "Thanks for putting me in my place." -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0011039732.AA973289591@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 17:13:07 -0500 Subject: Re[2]:TMBG: Re: Nixon Nathan sez: >Well, if you take it that literally, it's not sarcastic, but you could see the song as someone sarcastically saying, "Thanks for putting me in my place."< Hey, now that you mention it... Well, that's what we Aries(es) have to live with, literalness is still the predominant trait, hard as I try to be vigilant.... KH ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:38:17 EST Subject: TMBG: Article in New York Magazine Hi peoples In the Nov 6 issue of New York magazine (Blue cover..people dancing..."NIGHTLIFE"...) on page 126 is a little and lovely photo and article about TMBG.... Its mostly Linnell quotes... I will transcribe it!! NOW!!! ------- HOW ABOUT THEM GIANTS? In the honored tradition of Raffi and Buckwheat Zydeco, They Might Be Giants will, this March, attempt to warp the minds of America's youth with their first children's record, called NO! "Musically, it's not restrained in any way," says TMBG's John Linnell (pictured at left.) "We thought we could actually be more extreme in some ways, and it would be interesting for younger kids." Aside from their trademark running-amok-in-a-toy-factory goofiness, what else can we expect of Linnell and partner John Flansburgh's (at right) first break from postgrad irony? "Usually on a TMBG record, there's at least one song that invokes death," Linnell says. "Instead of that, there's a lot of songs about going to sleep." In the meantime, the group will play the Bowery Ballroom for the next five Thursdays, with a different theme each week, including a seven-piece horn section on the 16th, a preview of songs from NO! on Thanksgiving, and a live performance of their entire 1990 album Flood on the 30th. The series may even revial their gig in Salt Lake City last fourth of July, when they played on a bill with Chicago and the Beatles Tribute band Imagine. "Oh boy, that was a crazy show," Linnell remembers. "There were some really crazy synchronized dances and costumes - the kind of stuff that we don't get in New York very much. You don't get to check out, like, a thousand women in really brightly colored costumes doing an elaborate Watusi completely in sync." [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:22:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mmm, escargot! I always thought the song was a play on the idea of someone "coming out of his or her shell." The speaker is implying that the person he is singing to did something to shatter his or her self-confidence, thus putting him back in his "shell." So, yeah, it sounds sarcastic to me. As for "Nixon's the One," that was one of his campaign slogans, and I always took the Mono Puff song as a sarcastic use of the phrase to indicate that he is "the one," all right, the corrupt one. Kay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #35-4 *****************************