Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 12 Thursday, 14 December 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: May December? TMBG: Re: May December? Re: TMBG: Re: May December? Re[2]: TMBG: the johns as friends Sorta TMBG: Hey check this out! TMBG: Re: non-fans Re: TMBG: Re: non-fans Re: TMBG: Re: non-fans TMBG: OT: ATTN DARTH MAUL FANS! (not a fwrd) TMBG: email from John and Emusic TMBG: Record Deal RE: TMBG: email from John and Emusic TMBG: Other good bands on Emusic? Re: TMBG: Re: May December? Re: TMBG: Re: non-fans Re: TMBG: Re: May December? Re: TMBG: email from John and Emusic Re: TMBG: email from John and Emusic Re: TMBG: email from John and Emusic TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #36-11 Re: TMBG: Re: May December? Re: TMBG: Replies to that emusic message TMBG: INTERP: She's An Angel Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:14:34 -0500 (EST) From: Jenn Scagel Subject: TMBG: May December? Message-ID: Anyone know anything about Linnell's version of "Will you Love Me in December as You Do in May"? I came across it on Napster, and want to find teh "real" version if it;s out there at all - I'm thinking of using it as my first dance in my wedding in the summmer! Thanks! Jenn -- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't want the world Jenn Scagel I just want your half =^. .^= -TMBG Meow! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:20:39 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <917t1v$1efb$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: May December? > Anyone know anything about Linnell's version of "Will you Love Me in > December as You Do in May"? I came across it on Napster, and want to find > teh "real" version if it;s out there at all - I'm thinking of using it as > my first dance in my wedding in the summmer! > > Thanks! > > Jenn > > -- > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^ > I don't want the world Jenn Scagel > I just want your half =^. .^= > -TMBG Meow! To the best of my knowledge, that is the real version, but feel free to cover it and play the cover. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "Drug therapies are replacing a lot of medicines as we used to know it." "It's one thing about insurance, that's a Washington term." "Quotas are bad for America. It's not the way America is all about." "Our priorities is our faith." "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." -Predisent George W. Bush ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:37:04 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: May December? I think it's the only version of the song there is. The lyrics were written by a NYC mayor, James J. Walker,(the reason it's on hall of mayors) and Linnell wrote the music. I'm not 100% sure btu AI think it was wriiten as a poem to this guy's wife. I remeber reading it somewhere a long time ago. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012139767.AA976718090@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:34:49 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: the johns as friends Yeah, I hear he wakes up in the middle of the night, screaming "my son is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace...." Pretty scary concept. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: the johns as friends Author: "Christina Rockwell" Date: 12/12/00 8:02 PM I hear that Linnell is afraid of his son. > for sure, though; we only know that Flans likes to ham it up at shows, and > that Linnell is afraid of his fans. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:37:41 -0800 From: "Pzickler" Subject: Sorta TMBG: Hey check this out! So like 2 months ago we all wrote about what we're listening to these days, but I kinda forgot to include my latest fave band, so I'm mentioning them now, in this post, OK? Anyway, they're huge They fans, plus the bass player's uncle is in the Violent Femmes, and I understand the Femmes and the Johns are friends, so there is some connection. So check it totally out: http://www.crosswinds.net/~zeppyfish/silk.html Silk Candied Apples. Let me know what you think. PZ ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:03:13 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: non-fans Message-ID: <79.d7dc218.276913e1@aol.com> That's how I got into alot of the bands I like now. Usually it would be that I heard a song on the radio or from a friend or I'd see the band live as an opener or something, and if I saw a cd by that same artist either in a discount rack or regularly priced, (depending on how much I liked the song), I'd buy it. That's how I got into TMBG, The Proclaimers, Bad Religion, Queen, The Candy Butchers, Dance Hall Crashers, etc., etc., etc... I actually got into Moxy Fruvous because of a combination of this list, and napster. I do it all the time, too. Mostly with used CD's, though. School of Fish was the most recent, just for the name. I didn't really like it, but it was 3 dollars. I, too, wouldn't be a "fan" of Them if I hadn't just bought one of the CD's. Factory Showroom, actually. Bad one to start with (small note: this does not mean I think Factory Showroom is bad, I just prefer all the other albums to it.) I bought all the other albums within 2 weeks. That's my story. -Kevin <.<....<<<.>..<.>>.<<<<<.>.<..something about a spoon>>>.<....<<<.>> ----- Original Message ----- From: John David Crafton Date: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 12:22 pm Subject: Re: TMBG: non-fans > James & Kimberly Mohan wrote: > > fans.... I mean, how many people just just buy a CD without > listening to it? (...ok...I > > > I do it all the time... in fact that was how I got into TMBG. > > -JohnDavidCrafton ------------------------------ From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Message-ID: <92.d989edd.27691c34@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:38:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: non-fans In a message dated 12/13/00 1:05:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, Pahteeh@aol.com writes: << > James & Kimberly Mohan wrote: > > fans.... I mean, how many people just just buy a CD without > listening to it? (...ok...I > > > I do it all the time... in fact that was how I got into TMBG. > > -JohnDavidCrafton >> I have bought several CDs without listening to it. I bought several U2 CDs just because it was U2. I also have bought several movie soundtracks, without ever seeing the movie, just by seeing that a band is on the soundtrack. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:10:17 -0600 Message-ID: <3A37C999.5122ACA0@uswest.net> From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: non-fans Pahteeh@aol.com wrote: > That's how I got into alot of the bands I like now. Usually it would be that I heard a song on the radio or from a friend or I'd see the band live as an opener or something, and if I saw a cd by that same artist either in a discount rack or regularly priced, (depending on > how much I liked the song), I'd buy it. That's how I got into TMBG, The Proclaimers, Bad Religion, Queen, The Candy Butchers, Dance Hall Crashers, etc., etc., etc... I actually got into Moxy Fruvous because of a combination of this list, and napster. ...ok....you missed my point....i said WITHOUT listening to it. Who hasn't bought an album after hearing just one song? In my opinion, if you hear one song, and it makes you want to buy the album, you're a fan. btw, most of my CD collection was acquired by either.. a) I heard a song on the radio or saw them live b) from a friend (tape mix) c) it was $2 (or less), and it looked interesting, so I took a chance. (I once bought a very cheesy techno CD, but it was only 49 cents...) > I, too, wouldn't be a "fan" of Them if I hadn't just bought one of the CD's. Factory Showroom, actually. Bad one to start with (small note: this does not mean I think Factory Showroom is bad, I just prefer all the other albums to it.) I bought all the other albums within > 2 weeks. That's my story. I've been listening to Them since LINCOLN came out in '88.....(and I understand your feelings about Factory....not Their strongest..) > ----- Original Message ----- > From: John David Crafton > Date: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 12:22 pm > Subject: Re: TMBG: non-fans > > > James & Kimberly Mohan wrote: > > > fans.... I mean, how many people just just buy a CD without > > listening to it? (...ok...I > > > > > I do it all the time... in fact that was how I got into TMBG. > > > > -JohnDavidCrafton ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20001213195405.9447.qmail@web218.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:54:05 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: TMBG: OT: ATTN DARTH MAUL FANS! (not a fwrd) *delurk* Fellow Giantheads, Lay down thy fetid plums, and prepare thy digits My other list, dedicated to Sith Academy, has started a petition to dark horse, requesting that Darth Maul become a regular character, and that we learn more about his mysterious past (tho' not too much, a little mystery is a very good thing) It's called the: "Darth Maul Comic Petition" hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition service, at: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/maul/ It's a good cause, that I truly believe in, and feeling that there might be someone else on the list that may share my interests, hopefully that person will lend a hand. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider signing yourself. Off Topically, ===== Mysterio Gal aka MinorDomo "Shelve the snappy patter" --Cyclops from the X-Men mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. http://shopping.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: Vazco@aol.com Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:39:29 EST Subject: TMBG: email from John and Emusic Message-ID: <9.e48e9ea.27693881@aol.com> I just got this in my mailbox...im sharing with those of you who arent on TMBG Unlimited. I hope thats not indecent or anything.. If you AREN'T on TMBG Unlimited..wont ya reconsider? Mario TMBG SIGN TO RESTLESS We are very happy to announce we have inked a long term deal with our friend Restless Records/BMG (the long-time distributor of our early back catalog). They are putting out the Malcolm In The Middle soundtrack featuring "Boss of Me," with accompanying video, as well as our next rock album, which we are in the process of finishing up. Obviously this is a happy time for us, and we wanted to make everyone aware of the good times to come. We will continue to work closely with our friends at EMusic, and we have just launched TMBG Unlimited there, a subscription service that will give y'all unique and near total access to all our endeavors in 2001. CHRISTMAS CATALOG ORDERS AT TMBG.COM DEADLINE IS THIS WEEK This Wednesday is the last moment to place your tmbg.com order so we can guarantee it will be delivered for Christmas. We have a special 2-videos-for-$25 offer that many people are taking advantage of (get one for yourself, give one as a gift for this low price). Of course there are a ton of other things available, including hard to find EP's, cool new T-shirts and all the other things we call merch. (We just got a super-sweet secured e-commerce site that processes and tracks transactions much more efficiently, so we welcome the Xmas onslaught like never before). EMAIL NAME QUEST / SANTA CLAUS SONG We are still looking for email names, and with the promise of cool free MP3's, we want to encourage you to turn on your friends to tmbg.com. We are going to be offering up our version of "Santa Claus", originally recorded by garage legends The Sonics in the '60s, and "distressed" by TMBG for this holiday season. 2001 is going to be an incredible year for TMBG. With Malcolm In The Middle, our special disc with McSweeney's literary journal, The Oblongs (the new WB animated series we are doing the theme for) along with "No!" (our children's album), our Restless album, and TMBG Unlimited, TMBG's recorded output will reach many new audiences. We are planning a West Coast tour in early February, along with longer national tours in the spring. See you out there--til then, dig the MP3s! -- John Flansburgh- guitarist/glass wearer-TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Record Deal Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:36:17 -0500 Message-ID: Now that it is announced that TMBG are signed to Restless, do you think we can stop using the lack of a record deal to excuse their use of mp3 exclusive releases? On a similar note, do you think this will STOP the mp3 only albums? I certainly hope so. I just hope that they don't ride off into the sunset quite yet. Despite my anti-TMBG sentiment as of late, I still really do believe they have something WOW! up their sleeves. (psst mp3s aint it) I can't wait. Chrissy `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College http://drive.to/chrissy AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use http://www.thehungersite.com help put an end to world hunger.. "To understand "studying" we have to break it down-- Stud- meaning a very sexy man.. Ying- the first half of inner harmony, symbolizing peace and serenity.. Seeing as How I'm the encapsulation of neither, you know I'm not so much studying, as sticking it to the "peaceful sexy man" trying to bring my people down..". friend, Paul Wenzel `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` ------------------------------ From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: RE: TMBG: email from John and Emusic Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:09:49 -0800 Message-ID: Man, beat me to it to be the first post (lol). Looks like a bid for distribution stability, given the hard times eMusic is facing in the business world. --Carl Hoffmann -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Vazco@aol.com Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 12:39 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: email from John and Emusic I just got this in my mailbox...im sharing with those of you who arent on TMBG Unlimited. I hope thats not indecent or anything.. If you AREN'T on TMBG Unlimited..wont ya reconsider? Mario TMBG SIGN TO RESTLESS We are very happy to announce we have inked a long term deal with our friend Restless Records/BMG (the long-time distributor of our early back catalog). They are putting out the Malcolm In The Middle soundtrack featuring "Boss of Me," with accompanying video, as well as our next rock album, which we are in the process of finishing up. Obviously this is a happy time for us, and we wanted to make everyone aware of the good times to come. We will continue to work closely with our friends at EMusic, and we have just launched TMBG Unlimited there, a subscription service that will give y'all unique and near total access to all our endeavors in 2001. CHRISTMAS CATALOG ORDERS AT TMBG.COM DEADLINE IS THIS WEEK This Wednesday is the last moment to place your tmbg.com order so we can guarantee it will be delivered for Christmas. We have a special 2-videos-for-$25 offer that many people are taking advantage of (get one for yourself, give one as a gift for this low price). Of course there are a ton of other things available, including hard to find EP's, cool new T-shirts and all the other things we call merch. (We just got a super-sweet secured e-commerce site that processes and tracks transactions much more efficiently, so we welcome the Xmas onslaught like never before). EMAIL NAME QUEST / SANTA CLAUS SONG We are still looking for email names, and with the promise of cool free MP3's, we want to encourage you to turn on your friends to tmbg.com. We are going to be offering up our version of "Santa Claus", originally recorded by garage legends The Sonics in the '60s, and "distressed" by TMBG for this holiday season. 2001 is going to be an incredible year for TMBG. With Malcolm In The Middle, our special disc with McSweeney's literary journal, The Oblongs (the new WB animated series we are doing the theme for) along with "No!" (our children's album), our Restless album, and TMBG Unlimited, TMBG's recorded output will reach many new audiences. We are planning a West Coast tour in early February, along with longer national tours in the spring. See you out there--til then, dig the MP3s! -- John Flansburgh- guitarist/glass wearer-TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:11:34 -0700 (MST) From: slothdog Subject: TMBG: Other good bands on Emusic? Message-ID: Ok, so I got suckered into subscribing to TMBG Unlimited, and it appears that in less than a month I've managed to download everything from every band I've even remotely heard of before. Which leads to the question.... What other bands on Emusic do TMBG fans recommend? As long as I'm paying for it I may as well try out some new stuff... ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: May December? Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:27:20 -0000 Message-ID: BirdhouseIYS: >I think it's the only version of the song there is. The lyrics were written >by a NYC mayor, James J. Walker,(the reason it's on hall of mayors) and >Linnell wrote the music. I'm not 100% sure btu AI think it was wriiten as a >poem to this guy's wife. I remeber reading it somewhere a long time ago. The discography at tmbg.org credits the song to "Walker/Ball," so my guess is that this Ball guy, whoever he was, wrote the music. I think the song (as a song) dates back to before Linnell was born, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved in its writing. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: non-fans Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:30:27 -0000 Message-ID: Jim Mohan: >Pahteeh@aol.com wrote: > > > That's how I got into alot of the bands I like now. Usually it would be >that I heard a song on the radio or from a friend or I'd see the band live >as an opener or something, and if I saw a cd by that same artist either in >a discount rack or regularly priced, (depending on > > how much I liked the song), I'd buy it. That's how I got into TMBG, The >Proclaimers, Bad Religion, Queen, The Candy Butchers, Dance Hall Crashers, >etc., etc., etc... I actually got into Moxy Fruvous because of a >combination of this list, and napster. > >...ok....you missed my point.... Oh, let's not start THAT again... >In my opinion, if you hear one song, and it makes you want to buy the >album, you're a fan. Well, you have a fairly loose definition of "fan." I'm not sure I'd agree. I guess there are different levels of fandom, though. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <28.e72ce8c.27697de7@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:35:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: May December? The discography at tmbg.org credits the song to "Walker/Ball," so my guess is that this Ball guy, whoever he was, wrote the music. I think the song (as a song) dates back to before Linnell was born, so I'm pretty sure he Yes, both the words and music were definitely written long ago. When I played that song for my dad, he said he was pretty sure that song was written for an old musical, which kinda makes sense because it does sound like a duet between a man (the first verse) and a woman (the second). Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Mario: >I just got this in my mailbox...im sharing with those of you who arent on >TMBG Unlimited. I hope thats not indecent or anything.. The message wasn't sent to people on TMBG Unlimited, but to people who signed up for the "official" e-mail list (which seems to be largely an egroups promotion, but oh well). Since it's free to sign up, there really isn't any reason why anyone here wouldn't be on it, so sending the message here is kind of unnecessary. >If you AREN'T on TMBG Unlimited..wont ya reconsider? Do you work for emusic or something? >2001 is going to be an incredible year for TMBG. With Malcolm In The >Middle, >our special disc with McSweeney's literary journal How come Hong, Fang, Tang, and Sung don't get THEIR own literary journals? >The Oblongs (the new WB >animated series we are doing the theme for) along with "No!" (our >children's >album), our Restless album, and TMBG Unlimited, TMBG's recorded output >will >reach many new audiences. Weren't we supposed to be getting most of those in 2000? I'd like to believe that all of this is coming out in 2001, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Incidentally, there's a new song up at Dial-A-Song. It's Linnell singing, and the song is something about various inanimate objects asking what it's like to be alive. That's what I gathered, anyway. I really liked it. Oh, and I think it was also Linnell speaking after the song, which is a change from...well, pretty much every other time I've called this year. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 13 21:14:31 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id VAA69365 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:14:31 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r13.mail.aol.com (imo-r13.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.67]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id VAA69356 for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:14:30 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from PRMega@aol.com) From: PRMega@aol.com Received: from PRMega@aol.com by imo-r13.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v28.34.) id i.d3.de6cb49 (4589); Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:12:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:12:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: email from John and Emusic To: xornom@hotmail.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Windows AOL sub 125 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: PRMega@aol.com << Incidentally, there's a new song up at Dial-A-Song. It's Linnell singing, and the song is something about various inanimate objects asking what it's like to be alive. That's what I gathered, anyway. I really liked it.>> I think this song is incredibly cool. There's an mp3 of it up on twistid, called "No Answer". It's 6mb, cause my mp3 encoder sucks, but when I get a chance, I'll see about making it a smaller file. PR Mega From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 13 21:14:34 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id VAA69383 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:14:34 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-d03.mx.aol.com (imo-d03.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.35]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id VAA69374 for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:14:33 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from Vazco@aol.com) From: Vazco@aol.com Received: from Vazco@aol.com by imo-d03.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v28.34.) id i.6c.5df9ac5 (3972) for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:13:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <6c.5df9ac5.276986e4@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:13:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: email from John and Emusic To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_6c.5df9ac5.276986e4_boundary" Content-Disposition: Inline X-Mailer: Unknown sub 171 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Vazco@aol.com --part1_6c.5df9ac5.276986e4_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 12/13/00 8:39:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >If you AREN'T on TMBG Unlimited..wont ya reconsider? > > Do you work for emusic or something? > > No, I just want anything that promotes They Might Be Giants to do well!! I wasnt sure who that email was going out to, so apologies for the redundancy. Im still a rookie on this list, although you can probably tell im feeling quite at home... mario --part1_6c.5df9ac5.276986e4_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 12/13/00 8:39:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
xornom@hotmail.com writes:

>If you AREN'T on TMBG Unlimited..wont ya reconsider?

Do you work for emusic or something?

No, I just want anything that promotes They Might Be Giants to do well!!  I
wasnt sure who that email was going out to, so apologies for the redundancy.
Im still a rookie on this list, although you can probably tell im feeling
quite at home...

mario
--part1_6c.5df9ac5.276986e4_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 13 22:50:27 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id WAA72232 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:50:27 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from outmail1.pacificnet.net (IDENT:root@outmail1.pacificnet.net [207.171.0.246]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id WAA72223 for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:50:26 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from ggr@pacificnet.net) Received: from pacificnet.net (vpop5-180.pacificnet.net [209.204.36.180]) by outmail1.pacificnet.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id TAA22457 for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:22:12 -0800 (PST) Message-ID: <3A384403.AF23F4A0@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:52:43 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 (Macintosh; I; PPC) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #36-11 References: <200012130704.CAA40908@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------61B0C0E4F7A5482A11C72810" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bongo --------------61B0C0E4F7A5482A11C72810 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit John Flansburgh, yes *the* John Flansburgh, wrote: > We are very happy to announce we have inked a long term deal with our friend > Restless Records/BMG (the long-time distributor of our early back catalog). > I'm happy for you and John and yet I can't help thinking that you and John were hoping for something a little better. > They are > putting out the Malcolm In The Middle soundtrack featuring "Boss of Me," with > accompanying video, as well as our next rock album, which we are in the process of > finishing up. > That soon? Cool! > We will continue to work closely with our friends at > EMusic, and we have just launched TMBG Unlimited there, a subscription service that > will give y'all unique and near total access to all our endeavors in 2001. > After some initial skepticism, I'm now an emusic fan. Still, I'm hoping that you'll put those tracks out on a boxed CD set. > Christmas Catalog Orders at TMBG.com: Deadline Is This Week > Oh goody! My friends and relatives will be delighted to receive a box full of shattered glass. (You guys who ordered shot glasses or coffee mugs know what I mean.) Just kidding John. > We are still looking for email names, and with the promise of cool free MP3's, we > want to encourage you to turn on your friends to tmbg.com. > Ummm...okay... I've been meaning to talk to you about that John. My friends will be as enthusiastic about that as receiving "Waaanted 97 People Who Want to get Rich" spam. > 2001 is going to be an incredible year for TMBG. With Malcolm In The Middle, our > special disc with McSweeney's literary journal, > McWho? I didn't hear about that one! > The Oblongs (the new WB animated > series we are doing the theme for) > Didn't hear about that one either! > We are planning a West Coast tour in early February, along with longer > national tours in the spring. > West Coast Tour? Whoooo-hooooooo! I take back all my sarcasm! > -- John Flansburgh - guitarist/glass wearer-TMBG > "glass wearer"? Don't you mean glasses wearer maybe? Sorry! Sorry! Don't mean to nitpick! See you in L.A. soon! -B O N G O --------------61B0C0E4F7A5482A11C72810 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit John Flansburgh, yes *the* John Flansburgh, wrote:

We are very happy to announce we have inked a long term deal with our friend
   Restless Records/BMG (the long-time distributor of our early back catalog).
     I'm happy for you and John and yet I can't help thinking that you and John were hoping for something a little better.
   They are
   putting out the Malcolm In The Middle soundtrack featuring "Boss of Me," with
   accompanying video, as well as our next rock album, which we are in the process of
   finishing up.
     That soon? Cool!
  We will continue to work closely with our friends at
   EMusic, and we have just launched TMBG Unlimited there, a subscription service that
   will give y'all unique and near total access to all our endeavors in 2001.
   After some initial skepticism, I'm now an emusic fan. Still, I'm hoping that you'll put those tracks out on a boxed CD set.
   Christmas Catalog Orders at TMBG.com: Deadline Is This Week

Oh goody! My friends and relatives will be delighted to receive a box full of shattered glass. (You guys who ordered shot glasses or coffee mugs know what I mean.) Just kidding John.

We are still looking for email names, and with the promise of cool free MP3's, we
   want to encourage you to turn on your friends to tmbg.com.
      Ummm...okay... I've been meaning to talk to you about that John. My friends will be as enthusiastic about that as receiving "Waaanted 97 People Who Want to get Rich" spam.
   2001 is going to be an incredible year for TMBG. With Malcolm In The Middle, our
   special disc with McSweeney's literary journal,
     McWho? I didn't hear about that one!
 The Oblongs (the new WB animated
   series we are doing the theme for)
       Didn't hear about that one either!
 We are planning a West Coast tour in early February, along with longer
   national tours in the spring.

West Coast Tour? Whoooo-hooooooo! I take back all my sarcasm!

-- John Flansburgh - guitarist/glass wearer-TMBG
       "glass wearer"?  Don't you mean glasses wearer maybe?  Sorry! Sorry! Don't mean to nitpick! See you in L.A. soon!

-B    O    N    G    O
  --------------61B0C0E4F7A5482A11C72810-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 13 23:02:51 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id XAA72600 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:02:51 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r06.mx.aol.com (imo-r06.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.6]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id XAA72591 for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:02:51 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from BethJE@aol.com) From: BethJE@aol.com Received: from BethJE@aol.com by imo-r06.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v28.34.) id i.68.a24c4ea (3894) for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:02:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <68.a24c4ea.2769a048@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:02:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: May December? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Windows AOL sub 125 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: BethJE@aol.com In a message dated 12/13/00 8:39:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, BirdhouseIYS@aol.com writes: > I think it's the only version of the song there is. The lyrics were written > by a NYC mayor, James J. Walker,(the reason it's on hall of mayors) and > Linnell wrote the music. No, that is *not* the only version. Someone gave me a bunch of old records. One of them was a boxed set of a collection of even older songs, and one of those songs was "Will You Love Me in December as You Do in May," as performed by some guy I've never heard of on a honky tonk piano. It was weird, and not nearly as good as Linnell's version. Beth From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 13 23:22:00 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id XAA73182 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:22:00 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f184.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.184]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id XAA73173 for ; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:21:59 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:21:28 -0800 Received: from 64.192.26.1 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:21:28 GMT X-Originating-IP: [64.192.26.1] From: "General Purplefeet" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Replies to that emusic message Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:21:28 -0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 14 Dec 2000 04:21:28.0861 (UTC) FILETIME=[547874D0:01C06585] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "General Purplefeet" Bongo: >John Flansburgh, yes *the* John Flansburgh, wrote: > > > > We are very happy to announce we have inked a long term deal with our >friend > > Restless Records/BMG (the long-time distributor of our early back >catalog). > > > I'm happy for you and John and yet I can't help thinking that you and >John were hoping for something a little better. Yeah, if they were going to work with Restless, it seems like they could have made the deal long ago. After all, Severe Tire Damage was on Restless, and They made it seem as if it was a stopgap measure, not a permanent label. Then again, we don't know what wheeling and dealing went on. Maybe TMBG considered another offer, and then Restless gave them a better deal. > > -- John Flansburgh - guitarist/glass wearer-TMBG > > > "glass wearer"? Don't you mean glasses wearer maybe? No, a little-known fact about Flans is that he only has bad eyesight in ONE eye. The other is just fine. Therefore, his spectacles only have glass in one frame. He started wearing these when the kids in high school teased him about his monocle. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Dec 14 00:23:31 2000 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id AAA74737 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:23:31 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mail.rdc1.il.home.com (imail@ha1.rdc1.il.home.com [24.2.1.66]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id AAA74728 for ; Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:23:30 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from tarsi@binhost.com) Received: from simon.martin.luther.edu ([24.19.29.99]) by mail.rdc1.il.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.00 201-229-121) with ESMTP id <20001214052329.WTZA22834.mail.rdc1.il.home.com@simon.martin.luther.edu>; Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:23:29 -0800 Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20001213225823.00b83a70@binhost.com> X-Sender: tarsi@binhost.com X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:23:42 -0600 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Tarsi Subject: TMBG: INTERP: She's An Angel Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Tarsi Well, folks. I had a revelation tonight into the thoughts of the author of this song, so I thought I'd share them with you. I know how the author feels, as I'm going through this myself. Take from them what you will, obviously my interpretation is my own. Lyrics courtesy of TMBG.org. INTERPRETATION: She's An Angel By: Tarsi Author: They Might Be Giants Sung by: John Linnell Length: 2:34 On Albums: They Might Be Giants Then: The Earlier Years Don't Let's Start Live!! New York City 10/14/94 (interpreter's comments are between the sets of ----'s) BEGIN INTERPRETATION: I met someone at the dog show She was holding my left arm ----Ever meet someone of the opposite sex who just stops you dead in your tracks? I think that's what the author is experiencing. The "holding my left arm" is symbolic of making that connection, that spark.---- But everyone was acting normal so I tried to look nonchalant. ----Of course, no one else notices it.---- We both said, "I really love you," ----The two people smile back and forth, laugh together, joke, etc.---- The Shriners loaned us cars We raced up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times ----The two people have fun doing things over and over again, even though they are repetitious, because they are enjoying themselves.---- Why did they send her over anyone else? ----Why am I attracted to this person in particular? What makes her make me "tingle" like this? Who's controlling this set of events?---- How should I react? ----How DOES one react when presented with something like this? How are you supposed to act when you've met someone you instantly click with?---- These things happen to other people They don't happen at all, in fact ----In typical fashion, almost noone really believes in love at first sight, or if they do, it seems to always happen to other people ("Man Meets Girl On Subway, Gets Married Next Day") and so forth.---- When you're following an angel ----Angel, an allusion to the "perfect woman" (substitute your preferred gender, although I think this song is from a heterosexual male's perspective), at any rate, the person which to you seems wholly ideal to be with.---- Does it mean you have to throw your body off a building? ----Do you have to do crazy, wild things, chivalrous things to get her attention? Do you sacrifice all you are just for her?---- Somewhere they're meeting on a pinhead Calling you an angel, calling you the nicest things ----Women congregate and talk about others and often talk about boys, etc. All men would like to think that they're saying nice things. (in the bathroom, right?) (of course, using the "angels on a pinhead" classic philosophic argument from the 20th century) ---- I heard they had a space program When they sing you can't hear, there's no air ----When the girl talks to the guy, the guy is "spaced out" and can't respond "no air" because he is too nervous to be talking to the "angel". ---- Sometimes I think I kind of like that ----The guy sometimes rather likes that feeling of euphoria that comes from conversing with the girl.---- and Other times I think I'm already there ----Then again, sometimes he just wonders if he's a raving nut.---- Gonna ask for my admission ----The guy decides he's going to try for the girl.---- Gonna speak to the man in charge ----He's gonna pray about it "man in charge"---- The secretary says he's on another line, Can I hold for a long, long time? ----The old adage of, "God answers all prayers...just not all immediately." The guy sees no improvement in the situation, he's not getting anywhere, etc.---- I found out she's an angel ----Again, back to the realization that she's the perfect girl for him---- I don't think she knows I know ----The girl, oblivious as she is, has not yet realized that he views her this way.---- I'm worried that something might happen to me If anyone ever finds out ----As he's seen before, once a group of friends/relatives/etc finds out that he likes a girl, the poking fun of and teasing begins. Also, if the girl herself finds out, what then? Either she likes it or hates it. Everyone hates rejection.---- END OF INTERPRETATION 210-------------210-------------------210 VISIT OrangeCAM! http://orangenet.dhs.org/~cam/ tarsi@binhost.com http://orangenet.dhs.org http://tarsi.binhost.com http://www.foreverbeyond.org 210-------------210-------------------210 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-12 ******************************