Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 2 Saturday, 2 December 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: I miss Stump the Band Re: TMBG: Spaceland Bands TMBG: A call out to Brian Templeton, formerly cowsrneat@entet.net Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200012010815.DAA35418@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <68.9ae129c.2758ec01@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 06:56:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: I miss Stump the Band In a message dated 11/30/00 11:51:25 PM, polariswm@hotmail.com writes: << > > I also miss the They Might Be Giant car crashes. > > MS The what?? IIRC, car crashes were carried out by the Crash Test Dummies. >> I can remember very clearly 3 different shows in 1992 (one at Catholic University, one at Lisner Auditorium (GWU) and one at Shriver Hall (JHU)) where one half of the audience was asked to screech/squeal and then the other half made the crashing sound hence the TMBG car wrecks. ------------------------------ Date: 01 Dec 2000 08:37:56 -0800 Message-ID: <-1236462622ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Spaceland Bands Bongo wrote: > While looking at the schedule for the L.A. club "Spaceland", I >noticed something. This October, a band called "The Seven >Percent Solution" played. A week or so later, a band called >"The Zero Effect" was scheduled. > > It would have caught my attention seeing just one of those >bands listed but it was even more interesting that both of them >appeared on the schedule within a week of each other. I've >never heard of either of those bands. So why is it so >interesting? And what does any of this have to do with TMBG? >You tell me. > >-B O N G O Well Bongo, it probably does have something to with TMBG. Since a couple of days have gone by and no one could figure it out, here it is... "They Might Be Giants" say their name came from the movie of the same name. That movie was a variation on the characters Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Its about a guy who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes. "The Seven Percent Solution" was another film which was a twist on Holmes and Watson with Holmes learning the truth about his arch rival through psychotherapy. "The Zero Effect" is yet another Holmes and Watson twist with Holmes and Watson reinvented as a present day L.A. private detective and his assistant. All three are unconventional Sherlock Holmes films that don't have an obvious reference to Holmes in the title. The fact that another band, besides TMBG, would name themselves after such a film COULD be a coincidence but considering that TWO of them played the same month at the same club, I don't think so. I'm speculating that both bands are TMBG fans and the name is some kind of homage to them. Or maybe they're just Sherlock Holmes fans. Either way, I think they got the idea from TMBG. Or maybe The two are really the same band and they're so small that they change their name around on a regular basis. My final theory is that "The Seven Percent Solution" and "The Zero Effect" are actually TMBG wanting to test new material in front of non fans. They used those names as a sly hint to their real identity. That's really unlikely though. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901c05c0d$d7f8a220$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: A call out to Brian Templeton, formerly cowsrneat@entet.net Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:13:28 -0800 [Unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/related), contents not processed] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-2 *****************************