Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 25 Sunday, 31 December 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? TMBG: The future...and all that jazz. TMBG: Re: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? TMBG: lots o songs and stuff! TMBG: Popularity problems... Re: TMBG: lots o songs and stuff! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:06:25 -0500 Message-ID: i REALLY doubt any of this will happen. I remember when "Snail Shell" and "S~E~X~X~Y" was played on top40 stations in Philly, nothing happened. They got played for a month or so and that was it. They seem to be a DJ fave and a station manager's worst nightmare. I mean, has anyone heard TMBG on the radio stations that they go to for interviews? I know the most time they are played are DURING interviews. I don't think Boss of Me will go anywhere. Also, I detect some musicall snobbery going on here. I am sure that there are a good chunk of people here who liked a band or a song "before everyone one else started liking it" "before they got popular". WHO CARES?! Obviously, some people want to be the only ones who like TMBG and keep it to themselves. It could be good for the band if they hit TRL or Top40; increase in record and single sales etc (downside teenie bobbers at concerts ala BFF). Anyway like I said, I really dont think Boss of Me will do anything. Chrissy >From: "Erich Cannon" >Reply-To: "Erich Cannon" >To: "They Might Be Giants" >Subject: TMBG: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? >Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:53:17 -0800 > >So I am curious on some things that we as die hard and always stuck by fans >need to prepare for with the release of Boss of Me. What if its a huge >smash? What if we see the video popping up on Mtv's TRL? How will we feel >about it when we go to school and everyone knows this song. "I hate it" "I >love it" "The band sucks but the song is cool" "I wish they'd stop playing >the friggin Boss of me song." > >Here in lye the facts: > >Malcolm in the Middle is a hit tv show. its in the top 20 in the nielson >virtually every week. Millions of people hear the theme song every sunday. > >In my opinion the new version rocks hard. Its snappy, its catchy, its a hit >record. > >Already my brother has heard it playing on a top 40 radio station. The kind >that likes to play the "Hot" songs along with B. Spears, Backstreet, >Agulara. Need I say more? > >What I am wondering is how are we supposed to feel? Cause I really cant >decide. I mean this song could go the way of any other tmbg song :Mostly un >noticed. But this time its pretty commerical. Its on a mega hit tv show. > >Erich _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: The future...and all that jazz. Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:46:59 -0700 Message-ID: I, personally, hope the song and video both do very well. Who knows? Even if there isn't some massive influx of fans to appreciate the band we all know and love, maybe it'll help generate more album sales for the Johns. They've been in the business for a while, now, and I think it'd be kind of nice if they garnered some extra popularity, permanent or not. I might be biased (er... I /am/ biased), but I think the Johns deserve the fame and fortune that goes along with having a band that kicks as much @$$ as theirs. :) Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador-elect to the State of New Mexico (we had a recount, too!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200012301820.MAA05856@enterprise.cfu.net> Subject: TMBG: Re: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? Date: Sat, 30 Dec 00 12:21:38 -0600 From: Sean Kinlin Erich Cannon wrote: >So I am curious on some things that we as die hard and always stuck by fans >need to prepare for with the release of Boss of Me. What if its a huge >smash? What if we see the video popping up on Mtv's TRL? How will we feel >about it when we go to school and everyone knows this song. "I hate it" "I >love it" "The band sucks but the song is cool" "I wish they'd stop playing >the friggin Boss of me song." [snip] >What I am wondering is how are we supposed to feel? Cause I really cant >decide. I mean this song could go the way of any other tmbg song :Mostly un >noticed. But this time its pretty commerical. Its on a mega hit tv show. Well, I would keep in mind the Rembrandts. They had a huge top 40 hit with the Friends theme song. But the band hasn't become huge stars or reviled by the masses. I think the public has continued to ignore them other than that song. So I wouldn't worry about this having any effect on the Johns other than putting a lot of money in Their pockets, which is a good thing. :) -Sean ------------------------------ From: "MeFreaky Geek" Subject: TMBG: lots o songs and stuff! Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:08:34 -0600 Message-ID: has anyone else been to a site called augiewan.com? it has a page with a dozen or so tmbg songs to download and the files have been missing for a while, but they're back and now if you go to the file directory there are hundreds and hundreds of songs. i'm guessing close to 2 thousand live, rare, and album cuts from the johns. http://www.augiewan.com/files/music/tmbg/ have fun, if you get bored with those, he's (she's?) got a bunch of other cool files like old sesame street movie files and startwars stuff. just look around. MeGeek _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Popularity problems... Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:11:35 Message-ID: I think the biggest problem about the whole thing is that people probably won't know that the song is by a good band. A lot of people instinctively hate what's popular, especially if it's as catchy as "Boss of Me," and I think most non-fans will place the song in the same field as songs like "Blue (Da Ba Dee)," songs that it's just not very cool to like. I'm not saying that I'm worried about liking a widely unliked song, but I am saying that I think this will cause people to think of TMBG as a goofy one-hit wonder, and a lot of people that might have really gotten into Them wouldn't consider even trying them out. It's bad enough that everytime I use "Istanbul" as a point of reference, I'm treated to a dozen nearby people saying, "Oh, yeah, my kids love that song." But hey, whatever. Maybe it's just paranoia. (Speaking of paranoia, ever met an average person who knows Harvey Danger has quite a few really good songs? The bells of doom seem to be ringing...) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: lots o songs and stuff! Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:03:48 -0500 Message-ID: isnt augiewan on this list? >From: "MeFreaky Geek" >Reply-To: "MeFreaky Geek" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: lots o songs and stuff! >Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:08:34 -0600 > > > >has anyone else been to a site called augiewan.com? it has a page with a >dozen or so tmbg songs to download and the files have been missing for a >while, but they're back and now if you go to the file directory there are >hundreds and hundreds of songs. i'm guessing close to 2 thousand live, >rare, and album cuts from the johns. > >http://www.augiewan.com/files/music/tmbg/ > >have fun, if you get bored with those, he's (she's?) got a bunch of other >cool files like old sesame street movie files and startwars stuff. just >look >around. > > > >MeGeek >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-25 ******************************