Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 4 Wednesday, 6 December 2000 Today's Topics: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: I just got fleeced by emusic TMBG: Various emusic Stuff... TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Re: TMBG: Re: I just got fleeced by emusic Non TMBG: Just a little fun. TMBG: Radio TMBG Re: TMBG: Radio TMBG Re: Non TMBG: Just a little fun. Re: TMBG: Radio TMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012059760.AA976026654@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:30:51 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: I just got fleeced by emusic >>Hmm, I smell a side project. >What does it smell like? Anything like a burn-smell factory closing up? I love the smell of side-project in the morning....... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: 05 Dec 2000 06:59:03 -0800 Message-ID: <-1236122955ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Various emusic Stuff... wrote: >I didn't get Bongo's original message. Strange. I didn't get my own message either. Maybe I accidentally replied only to Bryce's post. Anyway, I didn't really complain that one of the tracks is "Cyclops Rock". I just said that most of us already have it and I added that its not the fault of TMBG or emusic. I didn't get any version of the song until recently and there's lots of TMBG song out there that I still haven't heard. I'm not disappointed in the songs at all. I will gripe though that the "jacket" really isn't a jacket but I would have signed up without it anyway. As for me calling "TMBG Unltd 1" an "album" that's what emusic calls it although I think they call any set of songs that. Perhaps the songs were chosen by TMBG to go together and in the order that they are listed on the download page (as if it was a CD5). The copy I burned to CD is in that order. The fact you can only download one song at a time with a Mac is a drag. Even if you could figure out a way to download a whole "album" at once you aren't allowed. If you do anything to automate the downloading of MP3's you'll be banned from using emusic permanately according to the terms of their agreement. Yep, Linnell (and maybe Flans too) is a Mac user (Unless he changed recently.) He made the Broom and Doctor Worm Quicktime movies using his Mac. He wrote the John Henry Hypercard Stack (if that's what was called) with his Mac. I'm also guessing he does music related work on his Mac. More about "TMBG Unltd 1" in my next message. -B O N G O > >Bryce: >>Bongo growled: >> > 2) As for the downloads, this months "album", >> > called something like "TMBG Unltd 1", contains >> > five tracks. One of them, "Cyclops Rock", most >> > of already have as an MP3 made from "What >> > We Did Last Summer" (but that's not the fault >> > of TMBG or emusic). >> >>Who said it would be an album? I thought They made it clear that it would >>only be a half-dozen or so songs a month. > >They did, but it still costs over $2 more than Long Tall Weekend to get >those few songs. You can't say they didn't warn you, but I also don't think >you can say it's reasonably priced. > >>And please don't complain that you already have Cyclops Rock; I know you >>know better. Novelty is a cake that you can't "have and >>eat too," and its sacrifice is the price of your devotion. The song was >>brand-spankin' new to you once, and now it's the unwashed >>masses' turn. You could unwash yourself, but I think you prefer your >>uber-fandom. > >Do you think anyone who ISN'T an uber-fan would sign up for TMBG Unlimited? >Nonetheless, I'd love to have a reasonable way to actually pay the Johns for >"Cyclops Rock," but I don't think this is the answer. > >> > 5) If you are a Mac user, I'm sure you are as >> > annoyed as I am by the fact that you can only >> > download one song at a time instead of a >> > whole album. What a drag! > >We're all waiting 'round for something, and it's never coming >back. > >>Yeah, I wonder why that is, anyway. I'm sure there's a way they could give >>Mac users a single-click album download, if they tried. > >Maybe they hate Mac users. Wait, isn't Linnell a Mac user? > >>Hmm, I smell a side project. > >What does it smell like? >-- >Eat your broccoli, >Nathan >DinnerBell@tmbg.org >http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > >_____________________________________________________________________________________ >Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : >http://explorer.msn.com > > ------------------------------ Date: 05 Dec 2000 08:47:26 -0800 Message-ID: <-1236116452ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities This isn't a complaint. I love TMBG UnLtd 1 and anything that brings so much joy is worth $9.95 a month. Just some questions... After "I've Got A Fang" completely ends there's about 7 seconds of silence. "Drink" begins with about 4 seconds of silence. When I say there's silence, I don't mean the spacing between songs on my CD copy. Its actually IN the file. Why would that be? Each song should begin instantly and should end after the final sound has completely faded out. Is this the amount of spacing they would have programed between songs if they had released it as a CD? Putting any silence BEFORE a track is just plain wrong. Maybe its just sloppiness. Anyway, if you burn it to CD and can control the spacing between tracks, I recommend you set the all spacing to zero sec to avoid having extra long gaps between songs. Another weird thing- "Cyclops Rock" is noticeably louder than the other 4 songs. Maybe that's just to give it dramatic effect? Also, 1 minute and 11 seconds into the song, right after Flans sings "...and I've got a Cyclops mind" you can hear a crackling sound for 1 or 2 seconds. Its like the crackling sound of a vinyl record. Some bands add an old record sound to their recordings for effect but I don't think that's the case here. Was the MP3 made from a vinyl copy of the song? I don't remember hearing that sound on the MP3 made from "What We Did Last Summer" I'll have to dig it out and check. Listen to the tracks and tell me if I'm just crazy. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001601c05efb$08a35ce0$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:36:23 -0800 Aren't the Unlimited Version of "Cyclops Rock" and the What We Did LAst Summer version completely different? They certaintly sound like...as far as I can remember. Also, no one has mentioned that Flansburgh sounds like crap on "Cyclops Rock" and "Drink". Sounds like hes sick or something. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bongo" To: Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 8:47 AM Subject: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities > > > This isn't a complaint. I love TMBG UnLtd 1 and anything that brings so much joy is worth $9.95 a month. Just some questions... > > After "I've Got A Fang" completely ends there's about 7 seconds of silence. "Drink" begins with about 4 seconds of silence. When I say there's silence, I don't mean the spacing between songs on my CD copy. Its actually IN the file. Why would that be? Each song should begin instantly and should end after the final sound has completely faded out. Is this the amount of spacing they would have programed between songs if they had released it as a CD? Putting any silence BEFORE a track is just plain wrong. Maybe its just sloppiness. Anyway, if you burn it to CD and can control the spacing between tracks, I recommend you set the all spacing to zero sec to avoid having extra long gaps between songs. > > > Another weird thing- "Cyclops Rock" is noticeably louder than the other 4 songs. Maybe that's just to give it dramatic effect? Also, 1 minute and 11 seconds into the song, right after Flans sings "...and I've got a Cyclops mind" you can hear a crackling sound for 1 or 2 seconds. Its like the crackling sound of a vinyl record. Some bands add an old record sound to their recordings for effect but I don't think that's the case here. Was the MP3 made from a vinyl copy of the song? I don't remember hearing that sound on the MP3 made from "What We Did Last Summer" I'll have to dig it out and check. > > Listen to the tracks and tell me if I'm just crazy. > > -B O N G O > > > ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 17:46:47 -0000 Message-ID: Jon: > Also, no one has mentioned that Flansburgh sounds like crap on >"Cyclops >Rock" and "Drink". Sounds like hes sick or something. He sounded like he was sick on the WWDLS version of "Cyclops Rock," too. Maybe he's allergic to the studio where they're recording these songs. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:11:29 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <90jb64$2bt9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Bongo : > This isn't a complaint. I love TMBG UnLtd 1 > and anything that brings so much joy is worth > $9.95 a month. Just some questions... Hey Bongo, I'm sorry I flew off the handle yesterday. I know you weren't really complaining, and I hope it didn't sound like I was attacking you. I know you thirst for new material, and I sympathize. At the end of I've Got a Fang, it's not complete silence (at least, if you turn it up loud enough :). The bass takes a while to fade out, and then there are some obscure guitar noises. Drink, though, is another story. I count a full six seconds of silence at the beginning of the song. This seems like an editing mistake, but then again, coming from TMBG, who knows. You're not crazy, Cyclops Rock is much louder than the others. I also hear the scratching, and it does sound like vinyl. I think they put it in there on purpose, simply because the production value of the song is so high. Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:59:25 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <90k2vl$2ol8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: I just got fleeced by emusic > >Hmm, I smell a side project. > What does it smell like? It smells creepy, like a punch in the mouth when you're trying to eat a bloody egg. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:39:17 EST Subject: Non TMBG: Just a little fun. Well, I built this website. It deals with issues such as the presidential election to the little things in life that piss you off. I know this has nothing to do with TMBG but I figured such an intellegent group could relate to it. It contains strong language and opinions so if you're offended by this don't go there. I don't want to hear any complaints, I gave plenty of fair warnings. Otherwise it's there for your amusement. Have fun. http://www.angelfire.com/or2/birdhouseiys/tenpoints/index.html ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <85.3d315df.275f0665@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:03:01 EST Subject: TMBG: Radio TMBG What the hell happened to radio tmbg? anyone else not able to get to it? is it because they changed the format and i have a mac? Who knows. Also they keep mentioning a rock release this spring. that would be neat to get malcolm, no, and a regular album with in a couple months of eachother, however i have my doubts. ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:28:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Radio TMBG > What the hell happened to radio tmbg? anyone else not able to get to it? I just checked, and I'm still getting it. I rarely listen to it, though, because it breaks up every three seconds, and it gets frustrating. Right now, "It's So Loud In Here" is playing. I forgot how much I liked that song. > is > it because they changed the format and i have a mac? Who knows. Well, I don't have a Mac, so I don't know. > Also they > keep mentioning a rock release this spring. that would be neat to get > malcolm, no, and a regular album with in a couple months of eachother, > however i have my doubts. Me too. Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A2DB2A1.C7517DD5@stompbox.dhs.org> Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:29:37 -0500 From: Matthew Krolak Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Just a little fun. Wow, you and Lewis Black should get together some time ;) BirdhouseIYS@aol.com wrote: > > Well, I built this website. It deals with issues such as the presidential > election to the little things in life that piss you off. I know this has > nothing to do with TMBG but I figured such an intellegent group could relate > to it. It contains strong language and opinions so if you're offended by this > don't go there. I don't want to hear any complaints, I gave plenty of fair > warnings. Otherwise it's there for your amusement. Have fun. > > http://www.angelfire.com/or2/birdhouseiys/tenpoints/index.html -- I Bet You're Flying Inside -------------------------- Matthew Krolak Geek Code block: http://stompbox.dhs.org/~notplaid/gcb.txt http://stompbox.dhs.org Glistening white triangular tooth, open up a can of Tomato Juice - I've got a fang. TMBG ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <40.461e3ec.275f132a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:57:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Radio TMBG In a message dated 12/5/00 10:30:31 PM, BethJE@aol.com writes: << it because they changed the format and i have a mac? >> I think that most people in the TMBG enterprise are mac users, as far as I've ever heard they use macs in the offices, so that shouldn't make a difference. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-4 *****************************