Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 5 Thursday, 7 December 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Hitting the Cleveland (Akron) airwaves! Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Re[2]: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities non-TMBG: Bryce TMBG: new to the list TMBG: Re: new to the list Re: non-TMBG: Bryce TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities TMBG: Correction! TMBG: Radio TMBG - Not Mac Friendly? Re: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Re: non-TMBG: Bryce TMBG: Its so loud in here Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:12:41 EST Subject: TMBG: Hitting the Cleveland (Akron) airwaves! Last night at about 10:05 PM, Boss of Me was played on WKDD 96.5 Akron, a "today's hottest hits" station (You can hear the station all over the Cleveland area.)It was the daily "Spin it or Bin it", meaning listeners could call in and say whether they should "Spin it" and give it more airplay, or "Bin it" and toss it out. Well, quite a few TMBG fans must have been listening, because the DJ lady said something like "Wow! I've never had a response that positive before!" So, we might hear it more. I don't know, I don't listen to the station much, my sister is the one who told me they were playing Boss of Me. So, we will find out. Doc Rick Worm ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:28:43 -0500 Message-ID: Or He knows that he isnt a great song writter and its making him sick as he sings.. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 12:46 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities > Jon: > > Also, no one has mentioned that Flansburgh sounds like crap on > >"Cyclops > >Rock" and "Drink". Sounds like hes sick or something. > > He sounded like he was sick on the WWDLS version of "Cyclops Rock," too. > Maybe he's allergic to the studio where they're recording these songs. > -- > Eat your broccoli, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > ____________________________________________________________________________ _________ > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com > > ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012069761.AA976113906@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:45:03 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities Christina R sez: >Or He knows that he isnt a great song writter and its making him sick as he sings..< Does anyone else detect the reek of Heretic? Death to the Infidel !! Karin H **FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012069761.AA976115339@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:08:57 -0500 Subject: non-TMBG: Bryce Okay, I've finally figured out this Bryce dude. I have come to the conclusion that he (it, actually) is really a very sophisticated software simulation of a Listee, injected into the list for a purpose I have yet to ascertain. I found the proof, coincidentally enough, in a catalog of software tools "for digital artists and designers". Corel Bryce 4 is his real name, and I quote: (The bit in parentheses is part of the blurb that doesn't fit in with my little scenario and/or isn't funny.) "Based on ease of use, price and output, Bryce 4 is the application of choice for hobbyists and professionals (who want natural 3D animation on the desktop.)" Ease of use, price, & output, eh, Bryce? Maybe I have ascertained your purpose after all.... Or maybe it's just a brilliant disguise covering something more nefarious. Or maybe it's just a strange coincidence. You tell us, Corel Bryce 4..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: Vazco@aol.com Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:59:07 EST Subject: TMBG: new to the list Message-ID: <15.cb97d9b.275fbc4b@aol.com> Hey gang.. Im just new to the list and i wanted to introduce myslef. Im Mario, live in Miami Fl and have been a fan of the band since I heard dont let start back when it came out..years and years my friends. As THEY rarely tour in south florida, im forced to go to other places to see the band. I was fortunate enough to cath two shows at the Bowery this past month (Dial-a-song and Flood). I have to admit that i enjoyed the first show much more..less crowded, and the guy in front of me that obviously took one too many hits of X was not there..you've never met a bigger drunken ass in your life. Why do people go to shows when they have absolutely NO interest in the band? Anyway, I look forward to participating in discussions on the band. Question to TMBG Unlimited subscribers..when you go to the webcast of the big horns show, do you get video as well as audio? Im only getting audio. anyone, anyone..Bueller? Happy to be aboard. Mario ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: new to the list Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:47:49 -0500 Message-ID: EEEK NOW THE ELVIS COSTELLO LIST IN INVADING THE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS LIST!!!! *RUNS FOR COVER* ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 10:59 AM Subject: TMBG: new to the list > Hey gang.. > > Im just new to the list and i wanted to introduce myslef. Im Mario, live in Miami Fl and have been a fan of the band since I heard dont let start back when it came out..years and years my friends. > > As THEY rarely tour in south florida, im forced to go to other places to see the band. I was fortunate enough to cath two shows at the Bowery this past month (Dial-a-song and Flood). I have to admit that i enjoyed the first show much more..less crowded, and the guy in front of me that obviously took one too many hits of X was not there..you've never met a bigger drunken ass in your life. Why do people go to shows when they have absolutely NO interest in the band? > > Anyway, I look forward to participating in discussions on the band. > > Question to TMBG Unlimited subscribers..when you go to the webcast of the big horns show, do you get video as well as audio? Im only getting audio. anyone, anyone..Bueller? > > Happy to be aboard. > > Mario > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:36:37 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <90mbip$k8v$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Bryce Karin H : > Okay, I've finally figured out this Bryce > dude. I have come to the conclusion that > he (it, actually) is really a very > sophisticated software simulation of a > Listee, injected into the list for a purpose > I have yet to ascertain. You know, this explains a lot. Like my compulsion to listen to TMBG. And my failure to grasp the subtleties of email humor. And why I can't remember anything before the age of two. And the strange feeling, surfacing on rare occasions, that something was going on, but no one would tell me what it was. I seem to be sitting here now, but I could just be thinking that this is what sitting is. I can trace back along the chain of events that led me here, way back into what I'll call my childhood but which could really just be a fabrication, and from this prespective it all seems uncannily orchestrated, even contrived. > Ease of use, price, & output, eh, Bryce? > Maybe I have ascertained your purpose > after all.... Do you think you could let me in on it? I'm having a minor identity crisis at the moment. > Or maybe it's just a brilliant disguise > covering something more nefarious. ah, well, I don't know about *brilliant*... :) > Or maybe it's just a strange coincidence. Two the power of two hundred and sixty-seven thousand seven hundred and nine to one against, and falling. Bryce I'm not a real doctor. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A2EFD64.76AC6C4B@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:00:58 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities "Jon" wrote: >Aren't the Unlimited Version of "Cyclops Rock" and the What We Did LAst >Summer version completely different? They certaintly sound like...as far as >I can remember. > Also, no one has mentioned that Flansburgh sounds like crap on "Cyclops >Rock" and "Drink". Sounds like hes sick or something. I have an MP3 of "Cyclops Rock" that I got from twistid.com about 2 months ago. I always assumed it was made from "What We Did Last Summer" and when I heard the TMBG Unlimited version I assumed it was the exact same recording. The only thing I noticed that was different was the vinyl crackle in the middle of the song. If its not the same recording, it sounds really close. I don't think he sounds sick on either song. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "sick". Do you mean sick like Nixon was sick? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A2F032C.B3EF1DC0@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:25:39 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities "Bryce" wrote: > I hope it didn't sound like I was attacking you. Nah, I didn't take it that way. >At the end of I've Got a Fang, it's not complete silence (at least, if you turn it up loud enough :). The bass takes a while to >fade out, and then there are some obscure guitar noises. I cranked it up and after those little guitar tweaks and ambient room noise have completely ended there's still about 4 seconds of silence. That's no big deal but like you said... >Drink, though, is another story. I count a full six seconds of silence at the beginning of the song. This seems like an editing >mistake, but then again, coming from TMBG, who knows. I got 4 seconds of silence on my CD counter and I'm sure its unintentional. I'm sure it seems ultra-nitpicky to mention it. If I put it on a mix CD though, I may want it to start instantly depending on the track it follows. To do that I'd have to bring it into some kind of sound editing program, shave off the silence and resave it. I think that's kind of unprofessional of emusic. In the "you get what you pay for" world of Napster I couldn't complain but for $9.95 a month I expect better. I think I'll write emusic about it. If they reply, Ill let you know. >You're not crazy, Cyclops Rock is much louder than the others. I also hear the scratching, and it does sound like vinyl. I think >they put it in there on purpose, simply because the production value of the song is so high. Yeah, otherwise it sounds excellent. It actually sounds kind of cool that way. I always like it when I hear radio stations plays something with the occasion vinyl pops in it. -B O N G O "The things we cherish are small indeed So much greater the need" -TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A2F0879.3B086090@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:48:17 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Correction! In my last post I used the following sig: "The things we cherish are small indeed So much greater the need" -TMBG When in fact I meant to say: "The things we cherish are small indeed So much the larger the need" -TMBG (I was tempted to remain silent to see if any of you would catch it.) -B O N G O "hup two, three, four ... this is a recording" -various samples from God only knows who on an "Istanbul" remix ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A2F0EDB.F7BE3FBD@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:15:32 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Radio TMBG - Not Mac Friendly? Someone said the other day that they weren't able to connect to the "Radio TMBG" link on emusic using their Mac. I'm a Mac user and I tried it out tonight. It seems that claim is true. That is, users of the Johns preferred platform are left out! Once you click on the link, a pop-up window appears. It asks you to register to listen.com. After you do that, it seems to tell you that to proceed, there are three requirements: 1) You must be using at least a 56k modem , 2) You must have the RealAudio plugin installed and 3) You must be using Windows. If you're a Mac user and have found otherwise, let me know. This is the first time, I've seen a RealAudio feature that demands Windows. Anyway, as far as I know, there's nothing on "Radio TMBG" that you can't get from emusic's "TMBG Unlimited" or twistid.com. So screw "Radio TMBG"! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:50:00 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <90n4sm$vvc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: TMBG UnLtd 1 Oddities wrote in message news:0012069761.AA976113906@smtplink.sterl.com... > Christina R sez: > >Or He knows that he isnt a great song writter and its making him sick as he > sings..< > > Does anyone else detect the reek of Heretic? > Death to the Infidel !! > Karin H > **FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > Actually, she referred to Flans as He. That's right, ladies and gentlemen... They Might Be Demigods! Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:51:17 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <90n4v3$1032$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Bryce "Bryce" wrote in message news:90mbip$k8v$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > Karin H : > > Okay, I've finally figured out this Bryce > > dude. I have come to the conclusion that > > he (it, actually) is really a very > > sophisticated software simulation of a > > Listee, injected into the list for a purpose > > I have yet to ascertain. > > You know, this explains a lot. Like my compulsion to listen to TMBG. And my failure to grasp the subtleties of email humor. And > why I can't remember anything before the age of two. And the strange feeling, surfacing on rare occasions, that something was going > on, but no one would tell me what it was. > > I seem to be sitting here now, but I could just be thinking that this is what sitting is. I can trace back along the chain of > events that led me here, way back into what I'll call my childhood but which could really just be a fabrication, and from this > prespective it all seems uncannily orchestrated, even contrived. > > > Ease of use, price, & output, eh, Bryce? > > Maybe I have ascertained your purpose > > after all.... > > Do you think you could let me in on it? I'm having a minor identity crisis at the moment. > > > Or maybe it's just a brilliant disguise > > covering something more nefarious. > > ah, well, I don't know about *brilliant*... :) > > > Or maybe it's just a strange coincidence. > > Two the power of two hundred and sixty-seven thousand seven hundred and nine to one against, and falling. > > Bryce > I'm not a real doctor. > > > Perry Simm... Perry Simm... P'rysimm... PRISM... PRISM... Don't worry if you don't get it. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <74.59f341e.27607335@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:59:33 EST Subject: TMBG: Its so loud in here its so loud in here is being played on radio tmbg? can someone make an mp3 of it! i've got a mac and can no longer play the station. i love you ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-5 *****************************