Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 6 Friday, 8 December 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Radio TMBG - Not PC friendly??!! Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here Re[2]: non-TMBG: Bryce RE: TMBG: Its so loud in here Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here TMBG: It's So Loud In Here mp3 TMBG: TMBG in BMI Re[2]: TMBG: Its so loud in here Re:TMBG: TMBG in BMI Re: TMBG: Radio TMBG - Not Mac Friendly? Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here Re: TMBG: TMBG in BMI TMBG: radio/flans TMBG: "Boss of Me" video shoot pics! TMBG: Did anyone answer Leo's request for assistance? TMBG: Re: Did anyone answer Leo's request for assistance? Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here Re: Re[2]: non-TMBG: Bryce Re: non-TMBG: Bryce Re: TMBG: radio/flans Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Radio TMBG - Not PC friendly??!! Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:31:53 -0500 Message-ID: hey, i can't connect to it with my desktop player. It says "Station Radio TMBG does not exsist" :-/ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bongo" To: Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 11:15 PM Subject: TMBG: Radio TMBG - Not Mac Friendly? > Someone said the other day that they weren't able to connect to the "Radio TMBG" link on emusic using their Mac. I'm a Mac user and I tried it out tonight. It seems that claim is true. That is, users of the Johns preferred platform are left out! > > Once you click on the link, a pop-up window appears. It asks you to register to listen.com. After you do that, it seems to tell you that to proceed, there are three requirements: 1) You must be using at least a 56k modem , 2) You must have the RealAudio plugin installed and 3) You must be using Windows. If you're a Mac user and have found otherwise, let me know. > > This is the first time, I've seen a RealAudio feature that demands Windows. Anyway, as far as I know, there's nothing on "Radio TMBG" that you can't get from emusic's "TMBG Unlimited" or twistid.com. So screw "Radio TMBG"! > > -B O N G O > > > ------------------------------ Date: 07 Dec 2000 06:45:39 -0800 Message-ID: <-1235950959ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here Gegatron@aol.com wrote: >its so loud in here is being played on radio tmbg? can someone make an mp3 >of it! i've got a mac and can no longer play the station. i >love you Was there a studio version of it on Radio TMBG? ... or anywhere else? There's a couple of live versions of it on twistid.com. The one from the webcast is the one I prefer. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012079762.AA976205354@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:09:10 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: non-TMBG: Bryce >Perry Simm... Perry Simm... P'rysimm... PRISM... PRISM... >Don't worry if you don't get it. >Polaris I'm not worried, but I'd prefer to "get it". C'mon, Pol, put us out of our misery, & maybe help Bryce4 resolve his identity crisis while you're at it.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01C06046.3CAE3180.marcusb@alltel.net> From: Marcus B Subject: RE: TMBG: Its so loud in here Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:07:14 -0500 Actually, there is a high quality mp3 of it at RollingStone.com... but you can't find it mentioned anywhere on the site... the url is: http://upload.tunes.com/usercontent/artists/T/They_Might_Be_Giants/media /tmbg_itssoloud.mp3 -Marcus Brannon ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <9d.e318994.2761228a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:27:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here << Actually, there is a high quality mp3 of it at RollingStone.com... but you can't find it mentioned anywhere on the site... the url is: http://upload.tunes.com/usercontent/artists/T/They_Might_Be_Giants/media /tmbg_itssoloud.mp3 >> Anyone else get this message? HTTP Error 404 404 Not Found The Web server cannot find the file or script you asked for. Please check the URL to ensure that the path is correct. Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: It's So Loud In Here mp3 Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:52:29 -0700 Message-ID: Maybe you left a space in the URL or something, PR, 'cause I'm downloading it just fine as I type this... Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in BMI Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 17:53:28 Message-ID: Hello all... Brand new lister here. I don't know why I didn't hunt around for a mail list sooner. Ahh well.. So I was flipping through BMI MusicWorld (the one with Matchbox twenty) on the cover. If you've ever seen one of these, you'll know there's just a sea of pictures showing record company bigwigs sipping wine in thier best black tuxedos. You know the kind. So, I'm flipping through turning pages rather quickly because there's nothing of substance to really see. But then I catch Linnell's nose. Sorry, John, but I wouldn't have noticed you any other way. There's a picture of Flansburgh (with pasted on smile), Doreen Ringer Ross (?), and Linnell (spelled Linnel) with both John's clutching thier trophies. Niether of them are looking at the camera. Shows you how used to that kind of treatment They are. heh. Demigods. hehe. They also appear in a big group shot with all the rest of the winners from the "Film & TV BMI Music Awards" group. They stuck Flansburgh up top because of his height, I guess. Well, very far away from Linnell. Then I noticed it is strange to see both of them in the same crowd together, and not be next to each other. So, they won a BMI TV Music award: Maclolm in the Middle John Flansburgh John Linnel YAY! I knew that show was good news for the guys. Tata.. -Dave _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012079762.AA976212792@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:13:07 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Its so loud in here I got: Directory Listing Denied This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed. Curiouser & curiouser.... Karin H ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0012079762.AA976213140@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:18:55 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: TMBG in BMI Dave sez: >So, they won a BMI TV Music award: > >Maclolm in the Middle >John Flansburgh >John Linnel > >YAY! I knew that show was good news for the guys. Maybe now they'll get some attention for the stuff that they didn't do specifically to appeal to the Masses.... (p.s.: Hi Dave!) Karin H **FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: Radio TMBG - Not Mac Friendly? Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:47:35 -0000 Message-ID: Bongo: > This is the first time, I've seen a RealAudio feature that demands >Windows. Anyway, as far as I know, there's nothing on "Radio TMBG" that you >can't get from emusic's "TMBG Unlimited" or twistid.com. So screw "Radio >TMBG"! Well, I think a lot of the stuff on twistid was FROM Radio TMBG, so it certainly served its purpose somewhere along the line. Besides, I don't think either twistid or TMBG Unlimited has the non-TMBG stuff that you can hear on Radio TMBG ("Cool Songs by Other People" and all that). If you don't care about anything but the TMBG content, though, that isn't a problem. I must admit that, although I'm pretty sure Radio TMBG WORKS on this computer, I don't like it much, and I haven't even tried using it in months. It disconnects frequently, and pauses in the middle of a song perhaps even MORE frequently. Lousy streaming audio... -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <38.ef5e103.27614289@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:44:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here well someone said they just tried to listen to radio tmbg and it worked fine. then they said they were listening to Its so loud in here, i just assumed that it was on radio tmbg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:59:02 -0600 Message-ID: <3A2FEC06.A985AAF9@uswest.net> From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in BMI Probably not, didn't do much for REM (which they're just fine with)....... anyway, it'd be better that They do Their thing...that's what I'd be happier about. Although if KISS ME, SON OF GOD became [mass] popular.....i'd laugh. Jim Mr. Me karinh@sterl.com wrote: > Maybe now they'll get some attention for the stuff that they didn't do > specifically to appeal to the Masses.... ------------------------------ From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: radio/flans Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:19:09 -0800 Message-ID: Hey hey. First time caller, long time Gianthead. Few things I wanted to throw into the kettle: 1) I'm using Windows, and Radio TMBG hasn't been working for me either. Each song starts and then cuts out after a few seconds. It's frustrating! 2) Throw stones if you must, but I agree that Flansburgh is an inferior songwriter to Linnell. But hey -- in my world, nearly every songwriter out there is inferior to John Linnell. Not that Flans hasn't written his share of spiffy tunes ("Snowball in Hell" is one of my favorite TMBG songs), but it seems like for every "Edith Head" (good) there's a "You'll Miss Me" (not so good). And I actually walked out on a Mono Puff show a few years ago. So there. 3) The 11/30 Flood show was awesome. My only complaint was hearing "Fingertips" again -- it's starting to lose its novelty now that it's a part of every show. Anyone else agree? --Jody _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <62.9c8dfa9.27616108@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:54:16 EST Subject: TMBG: "Boss of Me" video shoot pics! At www.restless.com! The video will premiere Jan. 7th right before the show. Yay!! Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:39:21 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <90p3kc$1q02$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Did anyone answer Leo's request for assistance? I offered right away, and he seemed appreciative, but hasn't gotten back to me with any details. I gather that he's frying bigger fish at the moment. Meanwhile I've been dealing with some major upheaval here in Bryceland, and using whatever spare time is left over to learn the accordion and help a friend put together a group-creative-writing-project web site. So it's not like I would have had time to be much of a help anyway, even if he had gotten back to me. However, I'm dedicated to improving tmbg.org, and will not rest until it's restored to its former glory. Bryce Time is still marching on. ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 18:33:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Its so loud in here > well someone said they just tried to listen to radio tmbg and it worked fine. > then they said they were listening to Its so loud in here, i just assumed > that it was on radio tmbg I said that. And I *was* listening to "It's So Loud In Here" on Radio TMBG. It was a live recording from one of those House of Blues shows, I believe. Beth ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:26:02 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <90pd90$1v7i$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re[2]: non-TMBG: Bryce wrote in message news:0012079762.AA976205354@smtplink.sterl.com... > >Perry Simm... Perry Simm... P'rysimm... PRISM... PRISM... > >Don't worry if you don't get it. > >Polaris > > I'm not worried, but I'd prefer to "get it". > C'mon, Pol, put us out of our misery, & maybe help Bryce4 resolve his identity > crisis while you're at it.... > > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > It's from a 1982 Infocom game called A Mind Forever Voyaging, about a guy in the future who discovers that his whole life has been a computer simulation. He then has to act out computer projections of different political plans that are supposed to be implemented. The big revelation comes shortly after his 21st birthday. At a job interview, the boss's questions diverge into hypothetical theories of the "what if it isn't real?" variety. Then, just as Perry Simm(that's the guy's name, by the way) figures out what's going on, everything goes dark and the last words he heard the boss speak echo and, gradually said differently, change. Perry Simm... Perry Simm... P'rysimm... PRISM... PRISM... is a condensed version of that scene in the game. PRISM is, of course, the name of the large computer that he actually is. If my obscure reference did nothing else, it showed that no vocal members of the newsgroup here besides me are interested in these classics. I'll bet the post where I said "A hollow voice says 'Fool.'" was taken as an insult rather than being what it is to me and to any Infocom fan, a reference to a line from Zork I: The Great Underground Empire, one of Infocom's first. The company has since been bought out and then destroyed by Activision. Funny thing is, I'm probably younger than most of you guys. Next thing I know, you'll be saying you don't know who Willy Beamish is or what Samhain is. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:36:14 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <90phgi$21qc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Bryce Polaris : > If my obscure reference did nothing else, it showed that no vocal members of > the newsgroup here besides me are interested in these classics. I'll bet > the post where I said "A hollow voice says 'Fool.'" was taken as an insult > rather than being what it is to me and to any Infocom fan, a reference to a > line from Zork I: The Great Underground Empire, one of Infocom's first. Whoa, hang on a minute there sailor. I haven't played A Mind Forever Voyaging, but I've enjoyed other Infocom games and I recognized the Zork reference immediately. Anyway, the post where you made it was over on news:alt.music.tmbg, and it was prompted by a message of mine. So don't jump to such hasty conclusions. A Bryce Forever Voyaging Sit back, relax, close your eyes and drive really fast. ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: radio/flans Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:44:01 -0000 Message-ID: Jody Beth Rosen: >And I actually walked out on a Mono Puff show a few years ago. So there. Why'd you do that? >3) The 11/30 Flood show was awesome. My only complaint was hearing >"Fingertips" again -- it's starting to lose its novelty now that it's a >part >of every show. Anyone else agree? Well, not everyone goes to every show. I am sure that, every time TMBG has performed that song live, someone has seen it for the first time. Perhaps they didn't need to play it at every Bowery Ballroom show, since there was probably a lot of repeat business there, but it wouldn't have bothered me to have seen it every time, either. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-6 *****************************