Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 7 Saturday, 9 December 2000 Today's Topics: TMBG: its so loud in here TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #36-6 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #36-6 Re: TMBG: radio/flans TMBG: Flansburgh TMBG: TMBG in AskSlashdot Re: TMBG: Flansburgh TMBG: Re: Flansburgh Re:TMBG: radio/flans TMBG: Concerts Re: TMBG: fingertips Re: TMBG: Flansburgh Re: TMBG: fingertips Re:TMBG: Who wrote what? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <69.e125a70.2762064f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 04:39:27 EST Subject: TMBG: its so loud in here again, if someone who was lucky enough to download its so loud in here, if you could post it at a reliable link i'd be a happy boy! also the malcolm in the middle video pics make it look like a really boring video. oh well we'll see i guess. ------------------------------ From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #36-6 Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:55:05 -0800 Message-ID: >Jody Beth Rosen: > >And I actually walked out on a Mono Puff show a few years ago. So there. > >Why'd you do that? Actually, I was on a date. A *really* good date. And at that moment, the guy was better company than Flans. Can you blame me? >Well, not everyone goes to every show. I only went to three of the five Bowery shows, and I heard it every time. I understand it was played at all of the shows, and I know I saw a lot of the same faces at the shows I attended. TMBG fans are pretty devout -- almost as bad as Phish fans. <> Yes, I know; there are a lot of songs I've never seen Them play, but I wouldn't expect them to structure their setlists just to accommodate me. If I knew that they were only going to be playing a song at one show, I'd do my best to try and catch that show (just as I made sure to get a ticket to the would-be "Dial-a-Song" show that They stiffed us on). I'm not complaining about that, though. It was still a great show. --Jody _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 05:28:01 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <90qghm$2eij$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #36-6 "Jody Beth Rosen" wrote in message news:F215JrOOO3375Y5DBeu0000b82b@hotmail.com... > >Jody Beth Rosen: > > >And I actually walked out on a Mono Puff show a few years ago. So there. > > > >Why'd you do that? > > > Actually, I was on a date. A *really* good date. And at that moment, the guy > was better company than Flans. > > Can you blame me? > > > >Well, not everyone goes to every show. > > > I only went to three of the five Bowery shows, and I heard it every time. I > understand it was played at all of the shows, and I know I saw a lot of the > same faces at the shows I attended. TMBG fans are pretty devout -- almost as > bad as Phish fans. > > < seen it for the first time>> > > Yes, I know; there are a lot of songs I've never seen Them play, but I > wouldn't expect them to structure their setlists just to accommodate me. If > I knew that they were only going to be playing a song at one show, I'd do my > best to try and catch that show (just as I made sure to get a ticket to the > would-be "Dial-a-Song" show that They stiffed us on). > > I'm not complaining about that, though. It was still a great show. > > --Jody > ____________________________________________________________________________ _________ > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com > Well, we know that you be secretly Robin Goldwasser, so this be interesting... Polaris "I'e not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." -Junta-Leader Bush ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: radio/flans Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:11:03 -0500 Message-ID: I think that fingertips is losing its novelty as well :-/ > Jody Beth Rosen: > >And I actually walked out on a Mono Puff show a few years ago. So there. > > Why'd you do that? > > >3) The 11/30 Flood show was awesome. My only complaint was hearing > >"Fingertips" again -- it's starting to lose its novelty now that it's a > >part > >of every show. Anyone else agree? > > Well, not everyone goes to every show. I am sure that, every time TMBG has > performed that song live, someone has seen it for the first time. Perhaps > they didn't need to play it at every Bowery Ballroom show, since there was > probably a lot of repeat business there, but it wouldn't have bothered me to > have seen it every time, either. > -- > Eat your broccoli, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > ____________________________________________________________________________ _________ > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com > > ------------------------------ From: "Kevin P McGuire" Message-ID: <421324158b.4158b42132@cmich.edu> Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:28:34 +0900 Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh Man, how can anyone say that Flans is an inferior songwriter? How can you tell which ones HE writes anyway? I know way back when, when I was on this list in the "olden days" someone decided that whomever sings the song usually wrote it. Which is nice, and I think usually correct, because there are most definately Flans songs and Linnell songs. Two great characteristic examples "Sleeping in the Flowers" - Flans, and "We Want a Rock" - Linnell. But, this particular song seems all crazy and disjointed. Which, in my head, always indicated one of those songs that was written by them both. Have you ever SANG You'll Miss Me? When I did that, it made me appreciate the song about one-thousand-two-hundred-four-fold. "In it's PRIME and never shoddy While morticians wait, down in the lobby You'll EULOGIZE my big ol' body!" That, my friend, is pure singing joy. I'm talking concentrated, "youshouldn't be drinking this without adding waterc" kind of joy. Sure, Linnell appeals to the intellectual, geeky side of me, but Flansburgh appeals to the geek-compatable side of me. I think the events immediately following a concert I went to sum this up: Linnell was nowhere to be found. Flans was signing things out in the lobby, wearing a 7-11 T-shirt. He signed my Burger King crown, my girlfriend's sleeve, my friend's coloring book page, and then we had a brief little chat about how he would never sign socks. About how thats' getting a little too close for his tastes. And where was Linnell? Nowhere to be found. Brooding on the tour bus/van/station wagon or whatever. Conspiring. I see Linnell doing that a lot. Conspiring. As to what - I may ever know. But, here's my point - (finally!) I think Flansburgh has a lot more fun with his life than Linnell has ever had. And, this comes out in his songs. I like Linnell's introverted geekiness, and Flansburgh's outward display of how much fun it is to sing about the things in your brain. I think Flansburgh does this because he likes it, and Linnell does it because he has to, or else all those ideas will just collide like way too much vinegar and baking soda, and explode. He does it because he has to. In short, I like their dynamic. Two great tastes, that taste great together! You must be like those guys who eat Reese's by peeling away all the chocolate just to get to the peanut butter, and then throwing away the chocolate. (Not that I think anyone does this, but "there's no wrong way....") You're missing out on something wonderful. As always, looking back on that, it makes no sense, but it's too late, if I just decided not to send it, it would've been a waste of a perfectly good few paragraphs. -Kevin "I hit my head, now I'm left handed" McGuire <.<....<<<.>..<.>>.<<<<<.>.<..something about a spoon>>>.<....<<<.>> ------------------------------ From: "I am Scott's rage." Subject: TMBG: TMBG in AskSlashdot Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:38:57 -0000 Message-ID: Slashdot, news for nerds, stuff that matters, is running an AskSlashdot column to ask TMBG questions, especially pertaining to digital music and the like... http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/12/08/0348248&mode=flat bjorky BTW, some divine power must not want you all to see this because I've had my browser shut down on me 25 times and I've had to reboot my computer twice just to post this little message... _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200012081909.OAA16168@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:09:11 -0500 (EST) > I think Flansburgh has a lot more fun with his life than Linnell has > ever had. And, this comes out in his songs. I like Linnell's > introverted geekiness, and Flansburgh's outward display of how much fun > it is to sing about the things in your brain. I think Flansburgh does > this because he likes it, and Linnell does it because he has to, or > else all those ideas will just collide like way too much vinegar and > baking soda, and explode. He does it because he has to. > > In short, I like their dynamic. Two great tastes, that taste great > together! You must be like those guys who eat Reese's by peeling away > all the chocolate just to get to the peanut butter, and then throwing > away the chocolate. (Not that I think anyone does this, but "there's no > wrong way....") You're missing out on something wonderful. > > As always, looking back on that, it makes no sense, but it's too late, > if I just decided not to send it, it would've been a waste of a > perfectly good few paragraphs. > Kevin, I'm not so sure that your universal view on things applies. Linnell may get a great deal of joy out of writing and playing his songs. You have to remember that different people enjoy different things in different ways. For example, your Reese's Peanut Butter Cup example. You may ejoy eating the whole thing, but someone else may want to peel away the chocolate to get the peanut butter and they may get more joy out of the peanut butter alone than what you get out of the chocolate and the peanut butter. I'm not sure why you'd buy a Reese's just to eat the peanut butter, but I think you see the point. Flanswburgh may be very extroverted and has to do all of this to get the greatest enjoying, but Linnell may just love writing and performing so much that he ges as much as or perhaps more enjoyment even though he appears to be seen and to be around very much. Maybe he doesn't look like he's having fun but who's to know that for sure except Linnell himself? -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:22:46 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <90rfun$2uc9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh Crap. This doesn't improve my chances of getting him to sign my ankle to be made into a tattoo, something which he once agreed to do. -Mike > coloring book page, and then we had a brief little chat about how he > would never sign socks. About how thats' getting a little too close > for his tastes. ------------------------------ From: "John Landis" Subject: Re:TMBG: radio/flans Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:22:08 Message-ID: "Throw stones if you must, but I agree that Flansburgh is an inferior songwriter to Linnell." I always kind of thought of Linnell as the better songwriter, and yes one of the best ever, but I wonder how one can tell which songs are written by which John? Does the rule that whomever sings lead also wrote the song hold true? I'm fairly sure all songs are simply credited to They Might be Giants, although I could be wrong... Thanks, John "Third John" Landis _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: TMBG: Concerts Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:05:05 -0000 Message-ID: JBR again: >>Jody Beth Rosen: >> >And I actually walked out on a Mono Puff show a few years ago. So there. >> >>Why'd you do that? > > >Actually, I was on a date. A *really* good date. And at that moment, the >guy >was better company than Flans. > >Can you blame me? No, I suppose I can't, but that doesn't really say anything about Flansburgh's songwriting ability, and isn't that what you were criticizing in the first place? >>Well, not everyone goes to every show. > > >I only went to three of the five Bowery shows, and I heard it every time. I only went to zero of the five Bowery shows, and I was excited to hear it in Philadelphia. >If I knew that they were only going to be playing a song at one show, I'd >do my >best to try and catch that show (just as I made sure to get a ticket to the >would-be "Dial-a-Song" show that They stiffed us on). I don't know if the Johns stiffed us (well, the people who went to the concert, which doesn't include me, so "us" isn't exactly appropriate, but oh well); I'm guessing that the Dial-A-Song show was an idea that They were throwing around but decided against, and emusic reported it as fact. I seem to recall that the Dial-A-Song message discussing the upcoming shows just said that, during the second week, They'd play "a lot of stuff, including 'Fingertips,'" or something like that. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:06:27 -0000 Message-ID: Christina Rockwell: >I think that fingertips is losing its novelty as well :-/ People complain that TMBG is seen by too many non-fans as a novelty band, and then they complain when songs are LOSING their novelty. Can't you make up your mind? -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:10:35 -0000 Message-ID: Kevin McGuire: >Man, how can anyone say that Flans is an inferior songwriter? How can >you tell which ones HE writes anyway? I know way back when, when I was >on this list in the "olden days" someone decided that whomever sings >the song usually wrote it. Which is nice, and I think usually correct, >because there are most definately Flans songs and Linnell songs. I think it's usually true, but there are cases when it isn't. I think "The World's Address" was written by Linnell and sung by Flansburgh. "Cowtown" was written by Linnell and sung by both Johns. Other songs were collaborations, like "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" (music and chorus (yes, all seven words of it) by Linnell, and lyrics and singing by Flans) and "Subliminal" (lyrics by Flans, and tune and vocals by Linnell). I think this is less common than it used to be, but I don't really have any concrete evidence for this. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Vazco@aol.com Message-ID: <93.412343d.2762bb06@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:30:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips In a message dated 12/8/00 5:09:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > Christina Rockwell: > >I think that fingertips is losing its novelty as well :-/ > > People complain that TMBG is seen by too many non-fans as a novelty band, > and then they complain when songs are LOSING their novelty. Can't you make > up your mind? > -- > I wish I had the access to so many Giants and Mono Puff shows that I could actually consider walking out of one. Just goes to show you, one mans garbage is another mans treasure. As someone who was at the Dial a song show, Ill tell you that i didnt feel "stiffed'" in any way. I thought it was an outstanding show and i think they were having a lot of fun. They looked a little more ragged the second time around. The flood show had fingertips again and I was just as happy to hear it as the first time. Dial a song was a superior show in my opinion, if not for the big stick alone... hope everyone has a nice weekend.. mario ps..my radio tmbg is working fine but i couldnt download the its so loud in here. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] John Landis: >"Throw stones if you must, but I agree that Flansburgh is an inferior >songwriter to Linnell." > > I always kind of thought of Linnell as the better songwriter, and yes one >of the best ever, but I wonder how one can tell which songs are written by >which John? Does the rule that whomever sings lead also wrote the song >hold >true? I'm fairly sure all songs are simply credited to They Might be >Giants, although I could be wrong... Yes, all of the songs are simply credited to They Might Be Giants, but each John has occasionally admitted to writing a particular song. Aside from the ones I've mentioned in my last message, I'm pretty sure the Johns have actually stated who wrote these: Purple Toupee: Linnell Snowball In Hell: Flansburgh Kiss Me, Son Of God: Linnell I'll Sink Manhattan: Flans Lucky Ball And Chain: Flans Particle Man: Linnell James K. Polk: Linnell and Matthew Hill Spider: Linnell started it, and Flans finished it Space Suit: Flans Ondine: Flans O, Do Not Forsake Me: Flans Meet James Ensor: Flans Out Of Jail: Flans Stomp Box: Linnell S-E-X-X-Y: Flans and Hal Cragin How Can I Sing Like A Girl?: Flans Doctor Worm: Linnell I Am Not Your Broom: Linnell First Kiss: Flans Older: Linnell She Thinks She's Edith Head: Flans Dan Versus Cog: Flans The Ballad Of The Cold Germ That Went To The Moon: Linnell Cut The Strings: Flans Drinking: Linnell Rat Patrol: Flans, but with the arrangement for the studio version done by Linnell Operators Are Standing By: Flans Lullaby To Nightmares: Lyrics were Joshua Fried's rewriting of "Lullaby Of Birdland"; music was by Flans (and unrelated to "Lullaby Of Birdland") Thunderbird/On Earth My Nina: Linnell The Edison Museum: Linnell and Brian Dewan On The Drag: Flans Wake Up Call: Flans, Danny Weinkauf, and Dan Hickey I'm pretty sure about many others, but those are the ones for which I've actually seen a statement, or some other proof. I've been trying to keep a record of who wrote which song on my TMBG song list at ; let me know if you have any additions or corrections to it. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-7 *****************************