Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #36-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 36, Number 9 Monday, 11 December 2000 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: fingertips TMBG: Does "Unlimited" refer to what you allowed to do with them? Re: TMBG: Does "Unlimited" refer to what you allowed to do with them? Re: TMBG: Does "Unlimited" refer to what you allowed to do with them? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: <86.40b0e3e.2764917b@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 02:57:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: fingertips Mario: > > Christina Rockwell: > > >I think that fingertips is losing its novelty as well :-/ > > > > People complain that TMBG is seen by too many non-fans as a novelty band, > > and then they complain when songs are LOSING their novelty. Can't you > make > > up your mind? > > -- > I wish I had the access to so many Giants and Mono Puff shows that I could > actually consider walking out of one. Yeah, I've been to a good number of TMBG shows (but no Mono Puff shows), and it would take a hell of a lot to get me to leave. > Just goes to show you, one mans > garbage > is another mans treasure. > As someone who was at the Dial a song show, Ill tell you that i didnt feel > "stiffed'" in any way. I thought it was an outstanding show and i think they > were having a lot of fun. They looked a little more ragged the second time > around. > The flood show had fingertips again and I was just as happy to hear it as > the first time. Dial a song was a superior show in my opinion, if not for > the big stick alone... I went to all five Bowery shows and the Philadelphia show, and I thought it was great to hear Fingertips every time. There are things that I will _never_ tire of hearing, though, but I suppose it's too soon to put a label like that on Fingertips. The only real exception is Spy, and I rather liked what They did with it, last time (when everyone played the first song they'd ever learned all at the same time). > hope everyone has a nice weekend.. You too! > ps..my radio tmbg is working fine but i couldnt download the its so loud in > here. It didn't work for me, at first, because there was a space in it, that I didn't notice. Try again. :) Here's that URL again: http://upload.tunes.com/usercontent/artists/T/They_Might_Be_Giants/media/tmbg_ itssoloud.mp3 Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A33FEAA.C0F88C6A@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:07:44 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Does "Unlimited" refer to what you allowed to do with them? I don't think this has been mentioned yet but every one of the TMBG Unlimited tracks is available on Napster. I really shouldn't be surprised. Most of us are using the free trial month but when January comes, aren't you going to be pissed off that you paid $10 for the next set of songs when those crumbs are passing them around for free? I wouldn't mind as much if they were being downloaded by people new to TMBG but most likely, its the "fans" that are downloading them. Which most likely means some of YOU. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:34:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Does "Unlimited" refer to what you allowed to do with them? In a message dated 12/10/2000 5:07:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: >>> I don't think this has been mentioned yet but every one of the TMBG > Unlimited tracks is available on Napster. I really shouldn't be surprised. > Most of us are using the free trial month but when January comes, aren't > you going to be pissed off that you paid $10 for the next set of songs when > those crumbs are passing them around for free? I wouldn't mind as much if > they were being downloaded by people new to TMBG but most likely, its the > "fans" that are downloading them. Which most likely means some of YOU. > > I did sign up, and yeah, I'm pissed that these tracks I'll be paying for > will end up being downloaded for free by fans who didn't want to be > bothered to pay for them (and I don't believe anyone excuses--if you want > something badly enough, you find a way to get it). It's really no > different than any album or ep tracks ending up on Napster as soon as > they're released, but considering that only the most devoted fans even > heard about TMBG Unlimlited, much less bothered to sign up right away, it > is a little surprising. I just hope that emusic and Napster work out > something. Yes, I've downloaded songs from other bands off of Napster, so > I know I'm being hypocritical, but I've always felt very protective of TMBG > getting compensated for their work. > > [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] > >>> I don't think this has been mentioned yet but every one of the TMBG > > Unlimited tracks is available on Napster. I really shouldn't be >surprised. > > Most of us are using the free trial month but when January comes, aren't > > you going to be pissed off that you paid $10 for the next set of songs >when > > those crumbs are passing them around for free? I wouldn't mind as much >if > > they were being downloaded by people new to TMBG but most likely, its >the > > "fans" that are downloading them. Which most likely means some of YOU. > > > > I did sign up, and yeah, I'm pissed that these tracks I'll be paying for > > will end up being downloaded for free by fans who didn't want to be > > bothered to pay for them (and I don't believe anyone excuses--if you >want > > something badly enough, you find a way to get it). It's really no > > different than any album or ep tracks ending up on Napster as soon as > > they're released, but considering that only the most devoted fans even > > heard about TMBG Unlimlited, much less bothered to sign up right away, >it > > is a little surprising. I just hope that emusic and Napster work out > > something. Yes, I've downloaded songs from other bands off of Napster, >so > > I know I'm being hypocritical, but I've always felt very protective of >TMBG > > getting compensated for their work. > > EMusic issued a statement that they had set up something that would constantly search Napster for EMusic tracks, and warn users who were sharing them to take them off within ten minutes, or else their name will be submitted to Napster for removal. I think they said it had already been implemented, so I don't know why there's a problem. I also don't understand why anyone would intentionally share something they paid for. A decent person wouldn't put an Unlimited track on Napster, and an indecent person wouldn't pay for something only to give it away to others for free. My guess is that this is more a case of stupid people who can't comprehend putting MP3's they don't want to share in a separate folder. I think it would be smart of EMusic to issue a statement telling people to do so. Of course, it's also the free trial month for everybody, so maybe the problem will be solved when the new edition goes up. _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #36-9 *****************************