Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 27 Saturday, 27 January 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-26 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-25 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-26 Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation Re[2]: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation TMBG: Three full length CDs in a year plus a soundtrack! TMBG: How to stare at the sky without really dying... TMBG: Anaheim Tickets Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Scott Murry" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-26 Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:14:23 Message-ID: Howdy, I get the Digest and I don't get to respond often, but in the Apollo 18 interpretation I noticed a possible misunderstanding that I thought I could clear up... I lay my head on the railroad track Stare at the sky, all painted up Your train is gone, won't be coming back [Precisely what I've always considered it to mean, although I might [have added [that laying his head on the railroad track indicates [an indifference to his own survival. I don't think this is correct...this is not a suicidal gesture at all...If you've ever watched an old Western (as I'm sure the Johns have), you may have seen people (particularly the stereo-typical Native American guide-type) lay their head on the railroad tracks before crossing...this was not a moment of self doubt. Due to a crazy quirk of physics, a train causes vibrations along the railroad track which can be detected from much grater distances than the sound travelling through the air. Consequently, you can check to see if a train is coming well before you could hear it by putting your head on the rail and listening for vibrations...So, usually, when someone lays their head on the railroad tracks it's to see if there is a train is in the vicinity...but the singer here doesn't hear anything, and therefore can conclude with some certainty that "[her] train is gone, won't be commin' back" So, there's my take on what is meant by that line... Peace, Scott the "AKA Driver" _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:48:35 -0600 Message-ID: <3A717223.4B288E8E@uswest.net> From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-25 HotelDetective11@aol.com wrote: > i live in new york. over the big storm thingy, i was in minnesota. in > minnesota, they don't love people from new york. they have snow in > minnesota. they don't play the ball dropping unless you have cable. > my aunt and uncle don't have cable because they live about 20 miles > farther nowhere than nowhere, on a farm, in the middle of nowhere. now THAT'S funny......come to think of it, growing up, I used to to live just past the boonies myself. We didn't have cable either, we only got CBS....and during the 70s, that wasn't always a picnic. I was unaware of this anti-NY sentiment.........but it is true, we do have snow...;) I don't have cable, but I don't watch much anyway.... We do get all the local channels, and that's what counts. > cable doesn't like to go nowhere. all they would show was ricky > martin. and that is my sad sad story > of how my new years eve was spent. they laughed at me for saying soda > instead of pop. I was born in MN, lived here all my life. I've said both. At least you aren't calling all soda, 'Coke', like they do in TX. (No offense, TX, but that's just strange.) > it was traumatizing. and now i'm done. thank you and excuse my little > outburst. you have now shared a moment of my sad sad life where i am > forced to watch ricky martin shaking his ass. Did you ever recover? I have been fortunate enough never to have heard him or to have seen his ass shake. (Phew) 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan ------------------------------ From: MDG0611@aol.com Message-ID: <17.10c6dcc3.27a2cce9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:51:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-26 I totally agree!!! And when you think about it, this interpretation goes right along with the Johns rarely spoon-feeding their listeners, unlike most other songwriters. In a message dated 1/26/01 2:15:12 AM, theakadriver@hotmail.com writes: >Howdy, > >I get the Digest and I don't get to respond often, but in the Apollo 18 > >interpretation I noticed a possible misunderstanding that I thought I could > >clear up... >I lay my head on the railroad track > Stare at the sky, all painted up > Your train is gone, won't be coming back > >[Precisely what I've always considered it to mean, although I might [have > >added >[that laying his head on the railroad track indicates >[an indifference to his own survival. > >I don't think this is correct...this is not a suicidal gesture at all...If > >you've ever watched an old Western (as I'm sure the Johns have), you may > >have seen people (particularly the stereo-typical Native American >guide-type) lay their head on the railroad tracks before crossing...this >was >not a moment of self doubt. Due to a crazy quirk of physics, a train causes > >vibrations along the railroad track which can be detected from much grater > >distances than the sound travelling through the air. Consequently, you >can >check to see if a train is coming well before you could hear it by putting > >your head on the rail and listening for vibrations...So, usually, when > >someone lays their head on the railroad tracks it's to see if there is >a >train is in the vicinity...but the singer here doesn't hear anything, and > >therefore can conclude with some certainty that "[her] train is gone, won't > >be commin' back" > >So, there's my take on what is meant by that line... > >Peace, >Scott >the "AKA Driver" >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > >----------------------- Headers -------------------------------- >Return-Path: >Received: from rly-xa03.mx.aol.com (rly-xa03.mail.aol.com [172.20.105.72]) >by air-xa04.mail.aol.com (v77.31) with ESMTP; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:15:12 >-0500 >Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [208.185.25.40]) >by rly-xa03.mx.aol.com (v77.27) with ESMTP; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:15:01 -0500 >Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) > by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id DAA09317; > Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:14:56 -0500 (EST) > (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) >Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Fri, 26 Jan 2001 >03:14:55 -0500 >Received: (from majordom@localhost) > by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id DAA09306 > for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:14:55 -0500 (EST) > (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) >Received: from hotmail.com (f247.law3.hotmail.com [209.185.241.247]) > by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id DAA09297 > for ; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:14:54 -0500 (EST) > (envelope-from theakadriver@hotmail.com) >Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; > Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:14:23 -0800 >Received: from 38.27.184.21 by lw3fd.law3.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, >26 Jan 2001 08:14:23 GMT >X-Originating-IP: [38.27.184.21] >From: "Scott Murry" >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-26 >Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:14:23 >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed >Message-ID: >X-OriginalArrivalTime: 26 Jan 2001 08:14:23.0449 (UTC) FILETIME=[FDBC9C90:01C0876F] >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Reply-To: "Scott Murry" > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:45:32 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <94sd6a$ju3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation Yes, you can hear trains coming (or going) by listening to the track. But he's laying there staring at the sky, which to me suggests a fair amount of time. Even if he's down there to listen for trains, that doesn't preclude him being indifferent to his own survival. Train tracks are dangerous, there's a risk in laying down on them, and he's obviously willing to accept that risk, that's all I meant. Bryce I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Train. ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0101269805.AA980535921@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:05:19 -0500 Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation I wasn't going to mention it, but then I figured "hey, if you can't nitpick on the TMBG List, where can you nitpick?", so, for what it's worth - - - If he were listening for trains, then the line would have been something like "Staring at the horizon about a half inch above the tracks", not "staring at the sky". Imagine staring at the sky whilst holding your ear to the train tracks. I'll tell ya, it's awkward at best. ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation Author: "Bryce" Date: 01/26/01 12:45 PM Yes, you can hear trains coming (or going) by listening to the track. But he's laying there staring at the sky, which to me suggests a fair amount of time. Even if he's down there to listen for trains, that doesn't preclude him being indifferent to his own survival. Train tracks are dangerous, there's a risk in laying down on them, and he's obviously willing to accept that risk, that's all I meant. Bryce I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Train. ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:05:50 EST Subject: TMBG: Three full length CDs in a year plus a soundtrack! This whole Mc Sweenie Art and Music thing sure is strange. I guess TMBG recorded a full length CD for it. Is this going to be a widely released thing? Robert Lowell was a decent song but i hope some of the songs are a little catchier (I doubt it. It seems like they were just picking up a paycheck for this project). It also seems like Februaruy's Unlimited contains nothing recorded especially for Unlimited subscribers, there are two songs on their next rock album and three Mc Sweenie songs, and what's with giving us I'm Sick agian! They already sent us that! The "freakish gems" better be a high quality dial-a-song or something else cool. (a quality mp3 of Wicked Little Critter would be great. That song is so weird and annoying that it is catchy). ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: How to stare at the sky without really dying... Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:01:56 Message-ID: To add my fifty cents to the argument, I always assumed that the reason he was staring at the sky was because he was laying down, with his head on the railroad tracks, and had been for some long time, hoping he would hear the vibrations, which would mean the antecendent of his pronouns would be coming back. He probably knows damn well that she isn't, but sometimes doing something so ridiculously persistent makes one feel less helpless. Lying on your ear for hours at a time would be incredibly uncomfortable, and it would be really hard to see a constellation, and the song might have to transform into "Feel the Fireants Crawling Into My Grounded Ear," which is entirely different song that I hear will show up in the Halloween edition of Unlimited. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:03:27 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Anaheim Tickets Message-ID: <20010126.180526.-1968809.1.Garrett27@juno.com> Disregard my last message regarding needing tickets...anyone who is interested: they went back on sale at ticketmaster =) Garrett ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-27 ******************************