Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 3 Wednesday, 3 January 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? TMBG: TDK, Twistid and AugieWan TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg #4 TMBG: Re: The future (see The past) Re: TMBG: TDK, Twistid and AugieWan TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s TMBG: That wacky EMusic gang... TMBG: Joshua Fried TMBG: other Emusic mistakes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 02 Jan 2001 07:05:53 -0800 Message-ID: <-1233703345ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: The future: Bright or Gloomy? Happy or Sad? Erich Cannon wrote: >So I am curious on some things that we as die hard and always stuck by fans >need to prepare for with the release of Boss of Me. What if its a huge >smash? What if we see the video popping up on Mtv's TRL? How will we feel >about it when we go to school and everyone knows this song. "I hate it" "I >love it" "The band sucks but the song is cool" "I wish they'd stop playing >the friggin Boss of me song." I doubt it will be a "huge smash" but I hope it does well enough that Restless will want to support their new album. More commercial success equals more stuff for us (singles, videos, etc.) Remember how we were all complaining how that there were no videos made for any Factory Showroom songs? >In my opinion the new version rocks hard. Its snappy, its catchy, its a hit >record. I've never heard it on the radio here. I didn't even know there was a full version of the song out there other than the live one from Conan O'Brien. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jan 2001 07:32:14 -0800 Message-ID: <-1233701764ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TDK, Twistid and AugieWan Chrissy Rockwell wrote: >jeeze tdk god forbid someone think that augie has good shit! I coulda said >that I have most of the songs he had too.. but daymn i let people say what a >good collection he has, because he does! I think TDK and Twistid deserve credit for going through all the trouble of piecing together those collections in the first place. ANYONE with the space can copy them over to his site. By the way, I have always meant to ask who's behind the Twistid site. I finally got around to reading his personal info page but it doesn't tell me much. I think he said his name was something like Adam Varn but I don't recall seeing him post here. You would think if he goes through all the trouble of updating the collection, he would post something like: "I've just added 3 new MP3s to my Better Living Through Better Music section! Check 'em out!" -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jan 2001 08:09:18 -0800 Message-ID: <-1233699540ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg #4 ...And speaking of credit where credit is due, another person who has done a great service to TMBG fans is Russ Josephson. A couple of weeks ago I got Vol.4 of his TMBG Video Bootleg in the mail and once again, its packed with great stuff. There's lots of stuff I had heard about that I haven't seen till now. I was too lazy and unorganized to catch any of the Nightline - Brave New World segments when they aired. To me, they are the highlight of the tape. Whoever directed those segments deserves to direct their videos. (Nothing against Flans as a director). I had heard the audio to most of them but I had never heard or seen the Cut the Strings "video". That was shocking and hilarious! This edition seems sloppily thrown together but I can't complain. Where was my lazy ass when all the things were being aired? Thanks Russ! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:37:25 -0500 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Message-ID: <92svta$pa6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: The future (see The past) -pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us wrote in message ... >> >I'm going to show my age here, so everyone stand back (grin). <> >Or maybe I'm wrong and They will turn into the Barenaked Ladies and >make Christmas albums with Brittney and Christina. We can only wait and pray. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: Re: TMBG: TDK, Twistid and AugieWan Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:50:17 -0500 Message-ID: Bongo wrote: >By the way, I have always meant to ask who's behind the Twistid site. I >finally got around to reading his personal info page but it doesn't tell me >much. I think he said his name was something like Adam Varn but I don't >recall seeing him post here. I remember him posting here before getting the site up and running. There was a big debate over whether such a site should even be put up, let alone which of Their songs should be on it. Once the site was up I don't remember seeing much, if any, of him, but that name sounds about right. **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <7b.e5a64f0.278374ed@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:16:13 EST Subject: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s When did TMBG unlimited go up? Like Nov 20th or something? New mp3s every month my arse! On dec 20th i checked. Only one new song. I thought well maybe they'll put them up on january first. I checked yesterday and still no new mp3s. I thought 'ok fine its a holiday they'll be up tomorrow' nope! please dont tell me that what went up in november is supposed to be the january selection. that would just suck! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <70.6896134.2783810c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:07:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s In a message dated 1/2/2001 1:21:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, Gegatron@aol.com writes: > month my arse! On dec 20th i checked. Only one new song. I thought well > maybe they'll put them up on january first. I checked yesterday and still > no > new mp3s. I thought 'ok fine its a holiday they'll be up tomorrow' nope! > please dont tell me that what went up in november is supposed to be the > january selection. Yep, that is the January issue (they just got it up early to get things running). Whatever comes up this month will be the February issue. Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Gegatron@aol.com wrote: >When did TMBG unlimited go up? Like Nov 20th or something? New mp3s every >month my arse! On dec 20th i checked. Only one new song. I thought well >maybe they'll put them up on january first. I checked yesterday and still no >new mp3s. I thought 'ok fine its a holiday they'll be up tomorrow' nope! >please dont tell me that what went up in november is supposed to be the >january selection. that would just suck! If the December selections were actually the January ones being offered a month early as the free preview, does that mean the billing won't start until February? Or will we be charged for January even though its the same stuff we got for "free"? In any case, they said they'd put up holiday goodies (plural) and they only gave us one, "Santa Claus". (Unless they consider the Flash animation of Santa Claus a separate goody.) I'm confused. I guess, I'll go back to downloading Ennio Morricone stuff for the next month. By the way, if you have any recommendation for downloads from the emusic catalog, let me hear 'em. -B O N G O From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 2 14:51:11 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id OAA30293 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:51:11 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r11.mail.aol.com (imo-r11.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.65]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id OAA30284 for ; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:51:10 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from Vazco@aol.com) From: Vazco@aol.com Received: from Vazco@aol.com by imo-r11.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v28.35.) id p.e5.69d05d (15899); Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:50:16 -0500 (EST) Received: from web46.aolmail.aol.com (web46.aolmail.aol.com [205.188.161.7]) by air-id09.mx.aol.com (v77.31) with ESMTP; Tue, 02 Jan 2001 14:50:16 -0500 Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 14:50:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s To: Cc: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Unknown Message-ID: Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Vazco@aol.com <<>>> I thinks its a little weak to have no updates since the page went up. Lets hope that if this is in fact the January issue, that the Febv will go up with all new stuff, and not a song at a time. My credit card was already billed for the month.. as for recommendations, its all a matter of personal taste, but you may want to check out Frank Black, Southern Culture on the Skids, Elf Power or Chris and Tad (young fresh fellows)..they make take a couple of listens to get used to the new sound, but the same thing happened with me and Factory Showroom! Of course, there is a lot of Elvis Costello available as well, depends how you feel about him. mario From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 2 15:22:46 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id PAA31236 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:22:46 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from fellspt.charm.net (elrond@[199.0.70.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id PAA31227 for ; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:22:45 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from elrond@fellspt.charm.net) Received: (from elrond@localhost) by fellspt.charm.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) id PAA24557; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:21:34 -0500 (EST) From: Matt James Message-Id: <200101022021.PAA24557@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: i want my , i want my, i want my MP3s To: Vazco@aol.com Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:21:34 -0500 (EST) Cc: ggr@wlg.com, tmbg-digest@tmbg.org In-Reply-To: from "Vazco@aol.com" at Jan 2, 1 02:50:15 pm X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25] MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Matt James > > << gave us one, "Santa Claus". (Unless they consider the Flash animation of > Santa Claus a separate goody.) I'm confused. I guess, I'll go back to > downloading Ennio Morricone stuff for the next month. > > By the way, if you have any recommendation for downloads from the emusic > catalog, let me hear 'em.>>>> > > > I thinks its a little weak to have no updates since the page went up. Lets > hope that if this is in fact the January issue, that the Febv will go up with > all new stuff, and not a song at a time. > > My credit card was already billed for the month.. > I'm guessing that the December billing was billed a month early for the January downloads. The fact that we could download these things in November was just an early tease. I imagine that the last billing for 2001 will occur in November. So most likely the billing is December, 2000 to November, 2001 while the downloads will be January 2001 to December 2001. I imagine they might have struggled a bit with deferring the download until January 2001 or giving us the January downloads as an early tease in November/December. As with most websites they want to please people early so they decided to release the mp3s early. They might have seen the bad side effect of everyone bitching them out for not releasing anything new for a good 2 months (apart from Santa Claus) but they must have thought that better than having to wait until January for the downloads and pissing people off for waiting so long to release them! Not to mention having to wait over 1 month to get their $9.99s from everyone. I guess that's the way business goes. I also assume that the additional teases of 1 month free trial and a free fleece and signed album would be enough to tide over most fans. I guess that's not true for everyone? I'm hoping that once February hits we'll get the regular 5-10 songs every month at the beginning of each month. -Matt From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 2 19:00:37 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id TAA36149 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:00:37 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f90.law8.hotmail.com [216.33.241.90]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id TAA36140 for ; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:00:35 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from aceduke@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:00:05 -0800 Received: from 24.4.116.242 by lw8fd.law8.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:00:05 GMT X-Originating-IP: [24.4.116.242] From: "John Ferrer" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: That wacky EMusic gang... Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:00:05 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 Jan 2001 00:00:05.0266 (UTC) FILETIME=[2094C720:01C07518] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "John Ferrer" What gets me is that if all this is true, I think it's quite misleading to call December a free trial month. It would be like if Kellogg's were to suddenly knock on my door and tell me now I had to pay for those "free" toys at the bottom of cereal bags I got when I was a kid. They should have said "We're putting up the January edition early, so you can check it out and see if it's for you before you have to pay for it." Or they at least could have had the decency to tell us what was going on before January 1st, when it was too late to pull out. Theoretically, one could have pulled out and signed up for February and save ten bucks. That might be a little over the top, but anytime people are paying money for something, I think they deserve to be told what's going on. Besides, it's not the first time EMusic has been misleading, as the many people including myself who excitedly waited for a "live webcast" that turned out to have no video. I guess everyone might be being a little too harsh, but I don't think anyone would complain if we were getting what we thought we were paying for. Oh well. This better be one hell of a fleece, I'll say that. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 2 20:29:56 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id UAA38099 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:29:56 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f175.law11.hotmail.com [64.4.17.175]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id UAA38090 for ; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:29:55 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from headfonefollies@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:29:24 -0800 Received: from 66.9.81.60 by lw11fd.law11.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:29:24 GMT X-Originating-IP: [66.9.81.60] From: "Headfone Follies" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Joshua Fried Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:29:24 -0500 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 Jan 2001 01:29:24.0283 (UTC) FILETIME=[9ACDE0B0:01C07524] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Headfone Follies" Joshua Fried here. I post to the list because I think this would be of real interest to many of you. If that's not proper, please accept my apologies. Email me and I won't do it again. I'm the guy that remixed The World's Address and re-made She's Actual Size into Larger Than Life, and was one-half of Hello-the-Band with Flansburgh. I want you to know about my show--HEADFONE FOLLIES. HEADFONE FOLLIES uses high-tech and headphones to make performers do raw amazing things, to a throbbing synchronized musical backup. It's sort of a greatest-hits of 10 years worth of my headphone-driven pieces, which have been performed at Bang On A Can (Lincoln Center), in Eastern Europe, Amsterdam and Jerusalem, etc.--but only in bits and pieces, and, in the case of the centerpiece, HEADSET SEXTET, unfinished until now. HEADFONE FOLLIES will run for three nights--Friday-Sunday, January 12-14, 7pm, at HERE, 6th Avenue between Spring and Broome, New York City. Each performer can do each role only once, so for every show new performers come in and other performers drop out, while the remaining ones each switch to a different headphone part for the night. And my performers are a mix of some of the most incredible actors, musicians, dancers and vocalists--variously hyphenated--whom I've met. Frankly, it's an amazing group. Information is at http://www.here.org ...but I'll post the specifics at the bottom. The folks at HERE are calling it "not merely like an opera from Mars, but like a *really good* opera from Mars." The Village Voice said this about one of the works in progress: "Some composers astonish musicians by brilliantly defining new compositional problems. Other zap the audience with displays of raw emotion. For a composer to do both at the same time is a rare epiphany, a sign that he or she has received gifts from two of the gods at once." (Kyle Gann) Enough. But I'm excited about this and I wanted you to know. Thanks for reading. And oh! --one more thing: a positive, peaceful New Year to you. joshua fried headfonefollies@hotmail.com http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua *** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** HERE ART CENTER CULTUREMART_2001 presents HEADFONE FOLLIES for seven headphone-driven performers and taped musical accompaniment. Music, text, direction by Joshua Fried Three nights only! Fri-Sun January 12,13,14 7pm $12 first show, $9 subsequent shows Info & tickets: www.here.org 212-647-0202 STARRING: Carolyn Baeumler (13th) Lesley Farlow (12th,13th,14th) Jon Feinberg (12th,14th) James "Tigger" Ferguson (12th,13th,14th) Daphne Gaines (14th) Robin Goldwasser (12th,13th,14th) Cynthia Hopkins (13th) Morgan Jenness (12th,13th,14th) Laurence Rawlins (12th) Tom Ross (13th) Bex Schwartz (14th) In HEADPHONE-DRIVEN PERFORMANCE performers try to imitate vocal sounds that are played over headphones. The performers have never heard these sounds before, and yet they are asked to reproduce the input *as it happens*--with every word, pitch and expression accurate and *no lag time WHATEVER*. This last requirement makes the task quite impossible and the result resembles a strange, dramatic and mostly indecipherable new language--even though the source material is, for the most part, plain English. Here and there an intelligible word or phrase emerges. In some sections, simple movement directives are added, electronic signal tones cueing the performers to listen for instructions. To preserve the necessary element of surprise, each performer can execute a given role only once. Mock-up tapes are used for auditions, training and rehearsal. Headphone-driven performance is not an improvisation. The compositions are highly structured; and yet there is not--and cannot be--a written score. Most of the input material is speech, not song, and much of it is highly dramatic. This work is characterized by highly organized interplay between performers and musical accompaniment. The accompaniment and all of the headphone parts come from a single 8-channel digital tape. Headphone-driven performance focuses attention on the present moment--no one knows what will happen next, and the performers can't afford to look back. The audience shares in the very real sense of tension and danger. Raw emotions become abstracted and aestheticized; vocal behaviors happen that would otherwise simply be unobtainable. HERE ART CENTER www.here.org 212-647-0202 NYSCA + New York State Council on The Arts + State of the Arts *** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** headfonefollies@hotmail.com http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 2 22:06:17 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id WAA39931 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:06:17 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from cob537.dn.net ([216.167.57.205]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id WAA39922 for ; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:06:16 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from slothdog@weirdness.com) Received: from localhost (slothdog@localhost) by cob537.dn.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id UAA19145 for ; Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:03:56 -0700 X-Authentication-Warning: cob537.dn.net: slothdog owned process doing -bs Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:03:52 -0700 (MST) From: slothdog X-Sender: slothdog@cob537.dn.net To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: other Emusic mistakes Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: slothdog If you were an insanely picky or bored person, you'd notice the following at http://www.emusic.com/tmbg/ - "our whacky animated 'Santa Claus" e-card (whacky -> wacky) - the mouseover text for the santa claus e-card still says "I've Got A Fang e-card" - "Tune in to hear and audio webcast" (and -> an) - the 300K WinMedia link for the concert is broken - the HiFi link for the Working Undercover video doesn't work (at least for me) - for the first week or so, Cyclops Rock was listed as "Cyclpos Rock" Ah, I love the smell of kwality werk.... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-3 *****************************