Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 11 Thursday, 11 January 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: did i miss something? TMBG: the sad action figure truth TMBG: Re: did i miss something? TMBG: I've been fleeced. Re:TMBG: the sad action figure truth TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK RE: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK Re: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK Re: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK TMBG: Flood show bootlegs? Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. Re:TMBG: the sad action figure truth Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. TMBG: free emusic downloads Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. TMBG: The Sun is On Fire! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:07:01 EST Subject: TMBG: did i miss something? In the heading of my tmbg digest one of the subjects was "Full length Boss of Me is up" but there was no sign of it anywhere in the actual letter. did anyone get that message? is the video up on some web sight? i would much like to really see it much! ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <6d.ddbd2e9.278d7332@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:11:30 EST Subject: TMBG: the sad action figure truth if you watch the video closely you'll notice that the action figures' heads are only photographs of the johns and dans fixed to the action figures bodys. oh well. but the video is still really groovin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 07:38:11 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <93hoh3$2lmh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: did i miss something? wrote in message news:c0.e3e195b.278d7225@aol.com... > In the heading of my tmbg digest one of the subjects was "Full length Boss of > Me is up" but there was no sign of it anywhere in the actual letter. did > anyone get that message? is the video up on some web sight? i would much > like to really see it much! The link was in the message at: http://www.launch.com/music/artistpage/1,4391,1026856_videos,00.html or you can wait a day or two and it'll be on twistid's site. http://www.twistid.com/tmbg -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:19:12 -0700 (MST) From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: TMBG: I've been fleeced. Message-ID: Haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I thought I'd just mention that my TMBG Unlimited fleece showed up yesterday. It's very nice, actually; warm and fuzzy and black. The logo on the front is pretty much just an embroidered iron-on, and there's nothing on the back. So it *does* exist, and IMHO it *is* worth getting. I don't know if I'd pay $60 up-front for it, although I guess I actually paid more in the long run. Fair enough. --slothdog ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0101109791.AA979144621@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:36:13 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: the sad action figure truth My little delusions are dashed.... ::sniff:: Well, at least the Real Johns & Dans aren't just photos fixed to action figures' bodies..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: the sad action figure truth Author: Date: 01/10/01 3:11 AM if you watch the video closely you'll notice that the action figures' heads are only photographs of the johns and dans fixed to the action figures bodys. oh well. but the video is still really groovin ------------------------------ Date: 10 Jan 2001 09:11:39 -0800 Message-ID: <-1233004599ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK 2. DRINK This may be my favorite track from UnLtd1. (Or at least its tied with Cyclops Rock.) I can't believe it! A TMBG release where my favorites are the Flans tunes. Besides UnLtd1, a lot Flans other songs from the last year or two have been very pleasing to me. Its nice to see the he's past his mediocre Factory Showroom phase. I'm glad to have him back. TMBG have done songs in styles from punk to polka. Now we have Drink, cleverly written in the style of a traditional drinking song. The kind designed to swing a mug of ale back and forth to at an English or Irish pub. Of course, its not *just* a drinking song. Its got a TMBG twist. Musically, its cheerful and catchy while there's a sense of despair in the lyrics. That combo of upbeat music to sort of darker lyrics has given many TMBG tunes a certain magic to me. (I've always loved "Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" in the high energy DLS.) Anyway, "this town is so gray" suggests to me a small town where the English weather is dismal and the main source of entertainment is hanging out at a pub. But wait a second, the song also mentions Mexican pinatas and the USA's Fourth of July! It seems to me that Flans inserted those very non European traditions in order to make the make it a universal drinking song. ...to be continued... (Next: Cyclops Rock) -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:55:59 -0700 Message-ID: Actually, I'd thought it was "This town is so great" which, to me, sounds sarcastic. Given that lyric, I thought the song fits rather well to the shit-hole college town /I'm/ living in right now, where no one has anything better to do than to sit around getting drunk. Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Bongo Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 10:12 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK 2. DRINK This may be my favorite track from UnLtd1. (Or at least its tied with Cyclops Rock.) I can't believe it! A TMBG release where my favorites are the Flans tunes. Besides UnLtd1, a lot Flans other songs from the last year or two have been very pleasing to me. Its nice to see the he's past his mediocre Factory Showroom phase. I'm glad to have him back. TMBG have done songs in styles from punk to polka. Now we have Drink, cleverly written in the style of a traditional drinking song. The kind designed to swing a mug of ale back and forth to at an English or Irish pub. Of course, its not *just* a drinking song. Its got a TMBG twist. Musically, its cheerful and catchy while there's a sense of despair in the lyrics. That combo of upbeat music to sort of darker lyrics has given many TMBG tunes a certain magic to me. (I've always loved "Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" in the high energy DLS.) Anyway, "this town is so gray" suggests to me a small town where the English weather is dismal and the main source of entertainment is hanging out at a pub. But wait a second, the song also mentions Mexican pinatas and the USA's Fourth of July! It seems to me that Flans inserted those very non European traditions in order to make the make it a universal drinking song. ...to be continued... (Next: Cyclops Rock) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:52:40 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK Hey HEY Our weather is not dismal! It's just varied and unpredictable. Richard - with a clear English night to home under. >>> Bongo 10/01/01 17:11:39 >>> 2. DRINK This may be my favorite track from UnLtd1. (Or at least its tied with Cyclops Rock.) I can't believe it! A TMBG release where my favorites are the Flans tunes. Besides UnLtd1, a lot Flans other songs from the last year or two have been very pleasing to me. Its nice to see the he's past his mediocre Factory Showroom phase. I'm glad to have him back. TMBG have done songs in styles from punk to polka. Now we have Drink, cleverly written in the style of a traditional drinking song. The kind designed to swing a mug of ale back and forth to at an English or Irish pub. Of course, its not *just* a drinking song. Its got a TMBG twist. Musically, its cheerful and catchy while there's a sense of despair in the lyrics. That combo of upbeat music to sort of darker lyrics has given many TMBG tunes a certain magic to me. (I've always loved "Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful" in the high energy DLS.) Anyway, "this town is so gray" suggests to me a small town where the English weather is dismal and the main source of entertainment is hanging out at a pub. But wait a second, the song also mentions Mexican pinatas and the USA's Fourth of July! It seems to me that Flans inserted those very non European traditions in order to make the make it a universal drinking song. ...to be continued... (Next: Cyclops Rock) -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <2f.f612a7c.278e17c2@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:53:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG UnLtd 1 Review Pt 2: DRINK At a concert in Boston flans said that the song was about a guy who was worried about his friend's drinking problem or something along those lines. "Cyclops Rock" would be my life's story if you poked out one of my eyes. "Let us leave our land of sun and flavor and go to the dinky dirty island were it pisses down rain all the time and they boil and fry the living hell out of everything"-Greg Proops ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002301c07b66$90b5fb60$5681accf@oemcomputer> From: "Kao" Subject: TMBG: Flood show bootlegs? Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:36:39 -0500 Hi there - Just got back to listening to some of my live music collection.. I was wondering if any taper/trader has any of those recent Flood show/s to trade? (Nothing from MP3 source, please!!) Email me off-list for my cd list. Thanks! ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:47:55 -0000 Message-ID: Sam: >Well just to add my unrequited and uneducated little bit to this topic-. I >love FS. It is one of, No it is my favorite TMBG album. Of the albums I do >own FS it my absolute favorite- I also have a special spot for STD, as it >was the first TMBG c.d. I ever owned AND if it wasn't for that c.d. I >would have never become a THEY fan! I also like LTW, It's not my favorite >but it's certainly not the one that gets played the least either. I don't >really like Flood. I think this comes from being a relatively new fan- I don't know if being a new fan has anything to do with it or not. Some people speculate that the newer fans tend to prefer the newer songs/albums, and, while I can see it in a way, it really doesn't make sense in another. What I mean is that a long-time fan might well prefer the older albums, because that's what they've been listening to for a long time, and any change in the band's sound can take a long time to get used to. On the other hand, a newer fan is often introduced to the newer stuff first, or (as was my case) everything in a short amount of time, so there isn't that same period of adjustment that longer-standing fans might have. The part that doesn't make sense, though, is there I don't really see much in Factory Showroom or Severe Tire Damage or whatever that would appeal to a new fan any more than the older albums. There have been some changes in their sound, certainly, but it really hasn't been "modernized," so I don't exactly see how FS would have any more immediate appeal to a new fan than the pink album. (That's not to say that there aren't reasons why someone would like FS BETTER than the pink album, just that I don't entirely see how being a new fan would be one of them, except possibly for the reasons I mentioned above.) >{ I've also found this with XtC, I tend to like the newer stuff >better.} I agree, although XTC has been around longer and made more changes than TMBG, I'd say. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010111025745.30949.qmail@web12108.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:57:45 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. Simply fascinating, hardly ever looking at covers huh? This reminds me of something completely offtopic, but I have ADHD, so it's okay :P Okay, let me throw this out first. I make scrapbooks, really big ones from bound sketchbooks, and have been doing so for the past 4 years. I am currently finishing #21. Well anyway, once, when I was having a severe clipping shortage, and was desperate for 2-dimensional oddities. I hastily decided to cut up the little CD booklets that come with the CD. Blasphemous, yes, but my argument was this. I'm not as likely to appreciate CD art when it's stuck in a plastic case, and would probably appreciate it more if it were stuck in a book that remains with me everywhere I go... Well, just wanted to toss this little piece of trivia at the list, to see what everyone makes of it ta for now ===== Mysterio Gal aka MinorDomo "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010111030130.30551.qmail@web12104.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:01:30 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re:TMBG: the sad action figure truth <> BWAHAHAHA If only she knew... ===== Mysterio Gal aka MinorDomo "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Matt James" Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:02:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. Message-ID: <3A5CDBF2.23898.9508F5@localhost> On 10 Jan 2001, at 18:57, Mysterio Gal wrote: > Simply fascinating, hardly ever looking at covers huh? > > This reminds me of something completely offtopic, but > I have ADHD, so it's okay :P > > Okay, let me throw this out first. I make scrapbooks, > really big ones from bound sketchbooks, and have been > doing so for the past 4 years. I am currently > finishing #21. > > Well anyway, once, when I was having a severe clipping > shortage, and was desperate for 2-dimensional > oddities. I hastily decided to cut up the little CD > booklets that come with the CD. Blasphemous, yes, but > my argument was this. I'm not as likely to appreciate > CD art when it's stuck in a plastic case, and would > probably appreciate it more if it were stuck in a book > that remains with me everywhere I go... > But when you do bring your CD to show to a friend, you have a big hole in your CD sleeve ;) ------------------------------ From: "Matt James" Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:04:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: free emusic downloads Message-ID: <3A5CDC7A.17443.971F85@localhost> I've been hearing a lot of talk about folks with TMBG Unlimited accounts downloading other groups' music for free from Emusic. I logged in tonight and tried to test this theory. I got all the way to checkout on a song by the Lemonheads and it said I owed 99 cents and it was asking me for a credit card. How are you all getting these tracks for free?? Thanks, Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010111032822.7110.qmail@web12101.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:28:22 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: FS and STD cover art. actually, I leave the first page, sipmly to make sure which CD is which ===== Mysterio Gal aka MinorDomo "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:45:05 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <93jaa9$b0j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The Sun is On Fire! New Dial-a-Song song, followed by "I'm Sick" and Flansburgh talking like Elvis. I'm calling the new song "The Sun is On Fire" for lack of a better name. Do i recall Flansburgh uttering this phrase (or something similar) at a show?? Call! 7183876962narrrrrrrrrrr -Mike ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-11 ******************************