Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 26 Friday, 26 January 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: I've Been Fleeced TMBG: Boss of Me sightings, Kilborn, KIIS FM,ect. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-24 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-25 TMBG: to interpret a song... Re: TMBG: I've Been Fleeced Re: TMBG: Boss of Me sightings TMBG: Related questions TMBG: Related questions Re:TMBG: to interpret a song... Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation Re: TMBG: Boss of Me sightings Re: TMBG: to interpret a song... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:32:34 -0600 Message-ID: <3A7000C2.C92A1453@uswest.net> From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: I've Been Fleeced karinh@sterl.com wrote: > J & K M sez: > >Y'know, I'd say something about all this, because I live in Minnesota. >But, > being that it's been unusally fair around here, I won't.< > > Totally non-Fleece-related, but what the hey: Minnesota is always my favorite > place to imagine the residents laughing their frosty butts off whenever they see > the Weather Channel coverage of snowstorms anywhere else. Yeah......we also make fun of those in the typically warmer states who think 40 degrees F is freezing. > Here in NY, frinstance, we were all hyped over the "Blizzard of the Millenium" > over the New > Year's weekend. "Stormwatch 2000", complete with theme music, live coverage > from Boston, Manhattan, Philly & DC, info on how to not have a heart attack > shoveling out from the mega-storm,coverage of the riots in Snowshovels R Us, and > all along they were prophesying 8-12"!!! (12+ N&W, Oooh). My one recurring > thought was: "They must be laughing their asses off at us in Minnesota..." Networks will do anything to make news items exciting....STORMWATCH 2000! FLAKEFALL! I'm waiting for BREEZE: The FINAL RECOGNING! =) I realize this is WAYYYYYYYYYYY off-topic. Sorry. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled topics shortly. Thank you. > Correct as usual, King Friday.... Wow! How often do you see Mr. Rodgers quoted? Cool! (Beaners! ...as a friend would say..) Later. 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A700101.8A6D8148@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:33:42 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Boss of Me sightings, Kilborn, KIIS FM,ect. I got behind on the list but I've caught up today... I'm glad to see the news about TMBG being on The Late Show with Craig Kilborn. Every time time I catch the show, I think how cool it would be for TMBG to be a musical guest. In my opinion, its the best late night talk show out there. The first time I saw the show, I thought Kilborn was kind of a prick but now I get his style. They tape the show here in L.A. but I suppose you have to get tix way in advance, right? And more great news with Operator Dot's list of stations playing Boss of Me... L.A.'s KIIS FM is playing the song? That's weird. I was thinking maybe our hipper KROQ would play it. Well, I just tuned to crappy ol' KISS FM for the first time in years (right now they are playing that "Hallelujah Its Raining Men" song ... really weird that kind of station would play a TMBG tune!) Anyway, I'm gonna call 'em up and request it now! Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there's a TV ad for the MITM soundtrack running on TV ( at least on channel 9 in L.A.). Also, last weekend while at my local AMC multiplex theater, they played Boss of Me on their piped in music. The entire chain uses the same music. All this is pretty weird but I like it. See you at the L.A. HOB show!!! -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Message-ID: <70.73e5c14.27a1ebbd@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:51:09 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-24 In a message dated 1/24/01 2:17:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > , > > It is official! TMBG will play the Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn on > february 1. So there is no confusion: it is thursday night AFTER > MIDNIGHT(so officially friday mourning but in tv talk it's thursday night) > The Late Late show airs on cbs at 12:30(i'm pretty sure but check your > listings in case!) > > sigh. why must they play everything good at midnight and after. there's no way i'll be able to force myself to stay up that late, specially with the whole getting up at 6 thing. i just hope i'll have enough tape to tape it! jessie [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <385081309.980457150823.JavaMail.root@web596-mc> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:12:30 -0500 (EST) From: Andrew Sier Subject: TMBG: to interpret a song... See the Constellation from Apollo 18 I lay my head on the railroad track Stare at the sky, all painted up Your train is gone, won't be coming back [Simple enough - the singer's (hereafter referred to only as 'he') girl ('her'), who he was unusually fond of, has not only left him, but left the vicinity. The singer is understandably bummed about this.] (Chorus) See the constellation ride across the sky No cigar, no lady on his arm Just a guy made of dots and lines [He sees a constellation ('it') in the sky, and envies it's lack of responsibilites and worries. It doesn't have to think about what to do with it's life now that it's former purpose has left it. It's just dots and lines.] Two years ago - moved from my town I was looking up past the city lights But the city lights got in my way [Two years ago, he moved from his town (quelle shock!) to the Big City to be with her. But, when he tried to act and think like he did back home, the city life overpowered him, forcing him to adapt to it.] (Chorus) I found my mind on the ground below I was looking down - it was looking back I was in the sky all dressed in black [It looks down, he looks up, and both realize they're the same person. He was perfectly content back home, before he even met her - so he goes back and lives happily ever after. It... stays in the sky, I guess...] (Chorus) Can you hear what I see in the sky? [Argh. I forgot what I was going to say about this line. Phooey. Could be a sequel of sorts to "New York City", even though it's not technically one of Their songs. What do you think, sirs?] -- "When people come to our shows, they _dance_. It's sweaty, high energy. That's the thing people don't realize. People act like we're some kind of cultural critique on rock music. Dude -- I _like_ playing really loud and jumping up and down." -- John Flansburgh in Spin magazine (Dec 2000) ______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup ------------------------------ From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: TMBG: I've Been Fleeced Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:17:33 -0000 Message-ID: Jim Mohan: >Networks will do anything to make news items exciting....STORMWATCH 2000! >FLAKEFALL! >I'm waiting for BREEZE: The FINAL RECOGNING! =) > >I realize this is WAYYYYYYYYYYY off-topic. Sorry. We'll be back to our >regularly >scheduled topics shortly. Thank you. Eh, just mention "When It Rains It Snows," and it'll all be fine. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss of Me sightings Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:19:26 -0000 Message-ID: Bongo: > Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there's a TV ad for the >MITM soundtrack running on TV ( at least on channel 9 in L.A.). Does this ad actually play or mention TMBG? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: Related questions Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:36:01 -0000 Message-ID: Hey all, I have some random questions piled up for you: 1) Is it true that the Giants will be interviewed in THE LATE LATE SHOW? If so, that would be awesome! 2) Does anyone know of a nation wide tour in the future? More specifically MICHIGAN? I have never been to a giants concert and they haven't been to the detroit area in a long loooooonnnnnngggggg time. and last- 3) Cd release dates. Thank you - Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: Related questions Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:36:16 -0000 Message-ID: Hey all, I have some random questions piled up for you: 1) Is it true that the Giants will be interviewed in THE LATE LATE SHOW? If so, that would be awesome! 2) Does anyone know of a nation wide tour in the future? More specifically MICHIGAN? I have never been to a giants concert and they haven't been to the detroit area in a long loooooonnnnnngggggg time. and last- 3) Cd release dates. Thank you - Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0101259804.AA980458928@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:42:06 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: to interpret a song... Andrew sez: >>I found my mind on the ground below >>I was looking down - it was looking back >>I was in the sky all dressed in black > >[It looks down, he looks up, and both realize they're the same person. He >was perfectly content back home, before he even met her - so he goes back >and lives happily ever after. It... stays in the sky, I guess...] Funny, I always saw this part almost exactly the opposite. It looks to me like he finally manages to detach himself from all this ground-based stuff (heads on railroad tracks, city lights in the way, etc), and then he sees from the perspective of the constellation. I think he's the one who "stays in the sky". I don't know if happily ever after or not, but he seems to have achieved the perspective he's been envying. Out there riding across the sky, just kinda chillin, with all the little minds down there looking up at him..... But I'm the one who thought "Snail Shell" was about a snail, so don't quote me - - - Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:18:33 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <94q8si$2qne$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation All right, an interp! And it's one of my all-time favorite songs, too... I lay my head on the railroad track Stare at the sky, all painted up Your train is gone, won't be coming back Andrew Sier > [Simple enough - the singer's (hereafter referred to only > as 'he') girl ('her'), who he was unusually fond of, has not > only left him, but left the vicinity. The singer is > understandably bummed about this.] Precisely what I've always considered it to mean, although I might have added that laying his head on the railroad track indicates an indifference to his own survival. (Chorus) See the constellation ride across the sky No cigar, no lady on his arm Just a guy made of dots and lines > [He sees a constellation ('it') in the sky, and envies it's > lack of responsibilites and worries. It doesn't have to > think about what to do with its life now that its former > purpose has left it. It's just dots and lines.] I've always seen him as identifying with it, but not envying it. I get the impression that the narrator is kind of wallowing in his loss. He looks up at the abstract pattern of stars, and his regretful mind imposes meaning on them like a big Rorsharch ink blot. He sees a guy with no lady on his arm, because that's all he can think about. Two years ago - moved from my town I was looking up past the city lights But the city lights got in my way > [Two years ago, he moved from his town (quelle shock!) > to the Big City to be with her. But, when he tried to act > and think like he did back home, the city life overpowered > him, forcing him to adapt to it.] Hey, the story of my life! How about that. Well okay, that's a bit defeatist of me. But living here has increased my cynicism. On a more literal note, I can't tell you how much it sucks to have to leave town just to see the stars. And moonlight! God, how I miss moonlight. I found my mind on the ground below I was looking down - it was looking back I was in the sky all dressed in black > [It looks down, he looks up, and both realize they're the > same person. He was perfectly content back home, > before he even met her - so he goes back and lives > happily ever after. It... stays in the sky, I guess...] I see this passage as the narrator realizing that the image he sees is himself, that the reason the stars seem to form that particular shape is because of his own loneliness. Can you hear what I see in the sky? > [Argh. I forgot what I was going to say about this line. Phooey. Might it have had something to do with the Christmas carol "Do You Hear What I Hear?" That song springs to mind whenever I hear this line. > Could be a sequel of sorts to "New York City", even though it's not > technically one of Their songs. > > What do you think, sirs?] Sure, I suppose it could. Bryce You'll see my teeth in the stars above. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200101252357.SAB22170@f05n15.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:01:02 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: to interpret See the Constellation [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:41:19 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss of Me sightings Message-ID: <8276-3A70D5BF-445@storefull-246.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I've seen this ad on the WB network. It plays Boss Of Me throughout the whole commercial, and shows clips from the video. It also talks about TMBG as if they were the hottest new band. It says something like "Featuring the hit theme song "Boss Of Me" by They Might Be Giants." Then it says "featuring some of today's hottest artists" or something, then it has a little list, and They are the first ones (right before the likes of Hanson and The Baha Men). Dexter Flansburgh (known to some as Alex) Do you trade tapes? http://www.hello.to/Bootlegs They Might Be Giants / Jim's Big Ego / 12Rods ------------------------------ From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: TMBG: to interpret a song... Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:17:44 -0000 Message-ID: Caveman Jim: >Could be a sequel of sorts to "New York City", even though it's not >technically one of Their songs. But "See The Constellation" came before "New York City," didn't it? I'm not really sure when the Cub version came out, but I don't think TMBG had heard it until some time after Apollo 18. Incidentally, someone (on the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup, I think) mentioned that "I'll Sink Manhattan" could be a sequel of sorts to "New York City" (although the temporal anomaly comes up for that one, too). When he's in love with the girl, he loves New York, and when they break up, he wants to destroy the city. Kind of interesting, although I'm almost certain there's nothing in it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-26 ******************************