Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 29 Monday, 29 January 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Headfone Follies NYC extended!! TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: joshua@echonyc.com Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:48:08 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Headfone Follies NYC extended!! Message-ID: <98070732501@escape.com> I'm pleased to say that my show HEADFONE FOLLIES is being EXTENDED! After three successful nights at HERE in January, we're now making the FOLLIES a Saturday night series running every Saturday in February and the first two Saturdays in March, all at 10:30pm, at HERE, 6th Avenue between Spring and Broome, New York City. HEADFONE FOLLIES uses high-tech and headphones to make performers do raw amazing things, to a throbbing synchronized musical backup. Or as HERE is now calling it, it's "an experimental gibberish operatic suite." The FOLLIES is sort of a greatest-hits of 10 years worth of my headphone-driven pieces, which have been performed at Bang On A Can (Lincoln Center), in Eastern Europe, Amsterdam and Jerusalem, etc.--but only in bits and pieces, and, in the case of the centerpiece, HEADSET SEXTET, unfinished until now. There will be at least one new section for our Saturday night run, and very possibly some audience participation at the end (stay tuned). And there's another reason why you might want to come down, even if you just saw the show in January. You probably know that each night has a different cast: each performer can do each role only once, so for every show new performers come in and other performers drop out, while the remaining ones each switch to a different headphone part for the night. I am truly thunderstruck at the breadth and quality of the group we've rounded up in such short order: Joanna Adler, David Anzuelo, Amy Baker, Eve Beglarian (!), Mary Birdsong, Kitty Brazelton, Thomas Buckner (!), Raquel Cion, Hope Clark (!), Christen Clifford, David Driver, James "Tigger" Ferguson, Daphne Gaines, Robin Goldwasser, James Hannaham, Jan Leslie Harding (!!), Jarboe www.thelivingjarboe.com (!!!!!), Lisa Karrer, Nina Mankin, Annie McAdams, Tom Murrin, Dafna Naphtali, Kristin Norderval, Dora Ohrenstein, Nicky Paraiso, Milica Paranosic, Steven Rattazzi, Laurence Rawlins, Iris Rose, Syd Straw (!!!!!!!!!), Maria Striar, Kathleen Supove, Kate Valk (!!!!!!!!!!!), Aleksandra Vojcic. Note also that HERE has a very nice cafe (recently under its own management), and the show is little over an hour, so it's not really like a 10:30 show. It's like a 9:30 tea/coffee plus a show. Information is at http://www.here.org ...but I'll post the specifics at the bottom. I'm excited about this and I wanted you to know. Thanks for reading. joshua fried Joshua@echonyc.com http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Somehow, you're on Joshua Fried's mailing list. Don't want to be? Just reply with a blank message and it will be taken care of, with sincere apologies. Want to know more? See http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = HERE ART CENTER presents HEADFONE FOLLIES for seven headphone-driven performers and taped musical accompaniment. Music, text, direction by Joshua Fried Extended by popular demand!! Saturdays * February 3, 10, 17, 24 * March 3, 10 * 10:30pm * $12 HERE Arts Center 145 6th Ave (Spring & Broome) Info & tickets: www.here.org * 212.647.0202 STARRING: 3 Feb: James "Tigger" Ferguson, Daphne Gaines, Lisa Karrer, Nina Mankin, Annie McAdams, Nicky Paraiso, Iris Rose 10 Feb--NEW MUSIC NIGHT 1: Kitty Brazelton, Jarboe www.thelivingjarboe.com, Lisa Karrer, Dafna Naphtali, Dora Ohrenstein, Nicky Paraiso, Sandra Vojcic 17 Feb: David Anzuelo, Raquel Cion, Christen Clifford, James Hannaham, Annie McAdams, Tom Murrin, Kate Valk 24 Feb: Joanna Adler, David Anzuelo, Mary Birdsong, Kitty Brazelton, David Driver, Robin Goldwasser, Syd Straw 3 March: Amy Baker, Hope Clark, James "Tigger" Ferguson, Jan Leslie Harding, Steven Ratazzi, Larry Rawlins, Maria Striar 10 March--NEW MUSIC NIGHT 2: Eve Beglarian, Kitty Brazelton, Tom Buckner, Dafna Naphtali, Kristin Norderval, Milica Paranosic, Kathleen Supove = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = In HEADPHONE-DRIVEN PERFORMANCE performers try to imitate vocal sounds that are played over headphones. The performers have never heard these sounds before, and yet they are asked to reproduce the input *as it happens*--with every word, pitch and expression accurate and *no lag time WHATEVER*. This last requirement makes the task quite impossible and the result resembles a strange, dramatic and mostly indecipherable new language--even though the source material is, for the most part, plain English. Here and there an intelligible word or phrase emerges. In some sections, simple movement directives are added, electronic signal tones cueing the performers to listen for instructions. To preserve the necessary element of surprise, each performer can execute a given role only once. Mock-up tapes are used for auditions, training and rehearsal. Headphone-driven performance is not an improvisation. The compositions are highly structured; and yet there is not--and cannot be--a written score. Most of the input material is speech, not song, and much of it is highly dramatic. This work is characterized by highly organized interplay between performers and musical accompaniment. The accompaniment and all of the headphone parts come from a single 8-channel digital tape. Headphone-driven performance focuses attention on the present moment--no one knows what will happen next, and the performers can't afford to look back. The audience shares in the very real sense of tension and danger. Raw emotions become abstracted and aestheticized; vocal behaviors happen that would otherwise simply be unobtainable. = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = HERE ART CENTER www.here.org 212-647-0202 NYSCA + New York State Council on The Arts + State of the Arts = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = joshua@echonyc.com http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua ------------------------------ From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Message-ID: <3c.6ae334d.27a5dd4c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:38:36 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited all right, all right, so i'm stupid, but i signed up for tmbg unlimited a few months ago, and i know you get a signed cd, but i'm not quite sure what cd it is. is it malcolm in the middle? No! ? the other one....? does anyone know? thanks. jessie [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Jessie: >all right, all right, so i'm stupid, but i signed up for tmbg unlimited a >few >months ago, and i know you get a signed cd, but i'm not quite sure what cd >it >is. is it malcolm in the middle? No! ? the other one....? does anyone know? I'm pretty sure it's the next regular studio album (often referred to as the "rock album," presumably to differentiate it from the children's album). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Jan 28 16:18:52 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id QAA88299 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:18:52 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (law2-oe21.hotmail.com [216.32.180.125]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA88290 for ; Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:18:51 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from rockwellchr@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:18:20 -0800 X-Originating-IP: [207.10.165.96] From: "Christina Rockwell" To: References: <3c.6ae334d.27a5dd4c@aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:16:31 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003D_01C08945.AD4801A0" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4029.2901 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4029.2901 Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 28 Jan 2001 21:18:20.0963 (UTC) FILETIME=[D71B2730:01C0896F] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C08945.AD4801A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable i remember reading it was the next rock album ----- Original Message -----=20 From: HotelDetective11@aol.com=20 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org=20 Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2001 3:38 PM Subject: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited all right, all right, so i'm stupid, but i signed up for tmbg = unlimited a few=20 months ago, and i know you get a signed cd, but i'm not quite sure = what cd it=20 is. is it malcolm in the middle? No! ? the other one....? does anyone = know?=20 thanks.=20 jessie=20 ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C08945.AD4801A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
i remember reading it was the = next rock=20 album
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2001 = 3:38=20 PM
Subject: TMBG: TMBG = Unlimited

all right, all right, so = i'm stupid,=20 but i signed up for tmbg unlimited a few
months ago, and i know = you get a=20 signed cd, but i'm not quite sure what cd it
is. is it malcolm in = the=20 middle? No! ? the other one....? does anyone know?
thanks.=20
jessie
------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C08945.AD4801A0-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-29 ******************************