Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 30 Tuesday, 30 January 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Greek Radio / Dreams TMBG: irving plaza show TMBG: Flansburgh interview on CD101 in Columbus TMBG: Fingertips on NPR TMBG: Boss of Me at TGIF Re: TMBG: Boss of Me at TGIF Re:TMBG: Fingertips on NPR TMBG: 1-800-THEYMIGHTBEGIANTS Re: TMBG: irving plaza show TMBG: Re: irving plaza show TMBG: Set your VCR's TMBG: TMBG On Late Night Re: TMBG: Re: irving plaza show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20010129092901.01775c88@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:47:35 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: Greek Radio / Dreams I was flipped to my local college radio station (WREK 91.1 in Atlanta, I believe it was), And I heard Greek #3 playing. It was weird. I was like, "Dude, that's TMBG!" And the guy in the car goes "The heck?" They didn't play the entire song, just part of it, and it was some advertisement for an actual Greek music program. (Do you want to hear people who can *really* sing in Greek, something like that). Also, I had a very odd dream last night about TMBG. I was at the state fair or something with my friends, and they were playing there unannounced, and the only ones in the small audience were little kids. Flansburgh played the big marching drum some, and Linnell switched between keyboards and an upright bass at some point. Eventually I got over to in front of Flansburgh, and I stuck out because I was probably 4 feel taller than the rest of the audience. For some reason he asked me to hold his guitar, and it only had three strings. I pointed this out to him, and then he pointed out to me that it actually had 12 strings. I looked at it again, and so it did, but they were all separated by an inch or two, so that there were strings all over the body of the guitar and such. I never thought I'd write a TMBG dream thing. Oh, well. :) Laterz, the hanged man -- -=Matt Brown=- GaTech cs/phys undergrad | web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com | "Every Day is a Good Day" email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: irving plaza show Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:24:17 Message-ID: I'd just like to say that of the 6 shows (including three recent Bowery shows) I've seen Them play in the last 4 years, that the show Saturday was the best I'd ever seen. First off, Sapphire Bullets were superb. Hearing Flood in its entirety never sounded so good (I'm a proponent of the full-band sound). Cory kept on messing up, but Tyler seemed Ok with it all.. It was only Their fifth gig (if I remember correctly), and their first in NYC. Then, for the set proper, they just pulled out all the stops. After a couple good energetic songs, they played the crowd-pleasing Boss of Me, and then their self-proclaimed radio follow-up, Fingertips. =) M. Doughty came out of nowhere, as did Robin what's-her-face. Amazing. I had mucho fun. New songs: I've Got a Fang, In the Middle (with Robin on vocals), Your Mom's Alright (not terribly new, but hell, M. Doughty was there singing and posing with the Johns!), Drink (a recent Dial-a-song and Unlimited song so I hear). I think that's it. Two encores and an elongated stage exit. That was freaky, man. I think I've covered all the bases of a half-assed show review. ATTENTION: Guiness drinking guy with "funny" Yanks hat who may have needed pics to complete a project, email me so we can coordinate this. -Dave _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh interview on CD101 in Columbus Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:21:17 -0500 Message-ID: As I usually do, I was listening to CD101 on my way to work this morning (101.1 FM in Central Ohio or www.cd101.com to listen online) and what luck I had, the morning DJ was just getting ready to interview Flans on the phone! They chatted for a bit and then announced the winner of a trip to LA to see TMBG and meet the cast of Malcolm, and they called the woman. She sounded really flustered, and when asked why she said her husband had just run off the road with their baby in the car! (freezing rain here in Ohio last night) Everyone was ok, but what a weird morning for her I'm sure! So the phone interview continued (after the DJ accidentally hung up on Flans) and it was revealed that They will be touring pretty much all year, and will make it back to the midwest in a few months. Flans also offered to send an advance copy of No! to the DJ for his 3-year-old, so I'm going to see if I can persuade him to play a few songs in advance when he gets it :) Flans said that writing songs for children made them realize how sick and morbid they are, and they really had to try to stay away from those themes. He also commented on the lack of a "morning zoo" type program on CD101 and they made fun of such shows, and also daily "Live at 5" type local TV programs. They spoke about the various TMBG websites, but nothing was said about emusic or TMBG unlimited. I'm just happy I'll get to see my 10th (and maybe 11th, 12th, 13th, and so on) concert this year! **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <200101291849.NAA24349@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Fingertips on NPR Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:49:40 -0500 (EST) I was listening to a local NPR station, WETA 90.9fm in DC on Saturday and they have a show called Shickele (sp?) Mix, which I believe is a local program. It's a show where the host, Peter Shickele, plays a mix of songs that generally follows one theme. This can range from jazz to classical to rock to whatever (although it tends to be heavy on classical). Anyway, I only caught the latter half of the show so I wasn't sure of the theme but he decided to play Fingertips in its entirety! He went on to explain the random shuffle effect as well. 'Twas very cool. -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:23:43 -0600 (CST) From: Tarsi Subject: TMBG: Boss of Me at TGIF Message-ID: TGI Fridays has good taste, I was enjoying a nice cold beer last night in the TGIF in Schaumburg, IL and heard Boss of Me being played. Was quite estatic. :) Seemed to be a satellite feed, so whoever's got that, they've got Them in there. Tarsi 210 ------------------------------ From: Jicholas Wolf Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:36:01 -0700 (MST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss of Me at TGIF Message-ID: Woo! Same thing happened to me in McDonald's the other day! I was quite impressed that they actually managed to play such decent music. ;0) Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Tarsi wrote: > TGI Fridays has good taste, I was enjoying a nice cold beer last night in > the TGIF in Schaumburg, IL and heard Boss of Me being played. Was quite > estatic. :) Seemed to be a satellite feed, so whoever's got that, they've > got Them in there. > > Tarsi > 210 > > ------------------------------ From: karinh@sterl.com Message-Id: <0101299807.AA980797970@smtplink.sterl.com> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:52:47 -0500 Subject: Re:TMBG: Fingertips on NPR Damn, I wish our NPR carried that program. Peter Schickele is intensely cool in his own right, I would have loved hearing him do his "musicalologist" thing on TMBG. Anybody who has the slightest tolerance (or love, even) for classical music, but doesn't believe in taking it *too* seriously, should definitely check him out. I'd love to know what theme "Fingertips" fit into.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Fingertips on NPR Author: Matt James Date: 01/29/01 1:49 PM I was listening to a local NPR station, WETA 90.9fm in DC on Saturday and they have a show called Shickele (sp?) Mix, which I believe is a local program. It's a show where the host, Peter Shickele, plays a mix of songs that generally follows one theme. This can range from jazz to classical to rock to whatever (although it tends to be heavy on classical). Anyway, I only caught the latter half of the show so I wasn't sure of the theme but he decided to play Fingertips in its entirety! He went on to explain the random shuffle effect as well. 'Twas very cool. -Matt ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:49:47 EST Subject: TMBG: 1-800-THEYMIGHTBEGIANTS Just turned on the tube to watch some cartoons and bam! "Call 1-800-blah blah blah to order your copy of the malcolm in the middle soundtrack featuring THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" It showed parts of the video and such. The cool part was it said all the other band names really fast like they didn't matter. Everyone on this list already knows TMBG is the best band on there. I guess I'm suprised too see TMBG actually getting the credit they deserve for their talent. like when the video was premiered and there was no mention of TMBG besides "TMBG TOYS' on the side of the dumpster in the video. I can now look forward to commercials! What a wonderful world this is turning out to be. I can hear "buy TMBG' instead of "buy our crappy rap hits album" Now if only I could get my mojo back and get the girl in my telcomm class. Oh well I'm done rambling for now. ------------------------------ From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: TMBG: irving plaza show Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:27:01 -0000 Message-ID: Dave: >M. Doughty came out of nowhere, as did Robin what's-her-face. Goldwasser, and I think she actually sings fairly frequently at New York shows. Has anyone ever known her to perform at TMBG shows outside of the city, though? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ "They gave me a Coke. What about you, Tyler?" "No. They gave me the can." _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: irving plaza show Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:42:55 -0500 Message-ID: It was a good show. They were incredibly energetic. There were no surprises in their regular set though. They played the same songs I have seen them play in November. Doughty coming out was different of course. They were so untired and so on; it was good. I had fun standing online with some Efnet peeps and some new people. It was cold and my toes froze off. Does anyone else think Jared is totally cuter than John Linnell? Chrissy ------------------------------ From: TMBGDot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:30:23 EST Subject: TMBG: Set your VCR's The dates of the upcoming TV appearances are 2/5 Monday- Tonight Show with Jay Leno 2/6 Tuesday- Craig Kilborn. ------------------------------ From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: TMBG On Late Night Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:31:31 -0000 Message-ID: (sorry if some of you get this message twice. having some trouble) Dear all, Can anyone confirm or deny the dates that TMBG will be on Leno/Kilborn....FOR SURE! I have heard Leno on the 5th and kilborn on the 7th but on the cbs Kilborn site it says TMBG on the 1st and there isn't mention of TMBG on Leno's site. Also at tvguide.com it says that the giants will be only on the Kilborn show on the 2nd. I'M SO CONFUSED! I(as well as all of you) really really want to see them on late night. If i miss it like i did The Daily Show's Millenium special I will Freak out. Anyway thanks for your time - Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <20.11526c79.27a7a524@aol.com> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:03:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: irving plaza show > Does anyone else think Jared is totally cuter than John Linnell? Oh, is THAT what they said the keyboardist from Sapphire Bullets' name was? I could never hear it. It sounded like "Darin" or "tarit" or "charid" some other stuff that completely isn't a name. Anyway, in answer to your question, definitely! He had those big cute glasses on and he was younger and more energetic. *swoon, etc.* (How fitting. The only person cuter than John Linnell is himself. I concur!) Lydia Placating Blatantly Delusional Lunatics Since 1837 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-30 ******************************