Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 31 Wednesday, 31 January 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG to Appear at Record Release Party in L.A.! TMBG: "Sapphire Bullets" (was re:irving plaza show) TMBG: Peter Schickele and PDQ Bach? Re:Subject: TMBG: TMBG On Late Night Re:Subject: TMBG: TMBG On Late Night Re: TMBG: TMBG to Appear at Record Release Party in L.A.! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-30 TMBG: Re: Fingertips on NPR/Peter Schickele and PDQ Bach? TMBG: Re: "Sapphire Bullets" (was re:irving plaza show) TMBG: Re: Re: "Sapphire Bullets" (was re:irving plaza show) TMBG: New Dial-a-Song! TMBG: McSweeney's Quarterly Concern TMBG: John Lee Superstar TMBG: Supertaster!!! Not Superstar TMBG: Mr.Xcitement Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3A766D76.E8C7E2A3@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:30:02 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG to Appear at Record Release Party in L.A.! I just tuned to god awful KIIS 102.7 FM (here in Southern California) to do my civic duty of requesting Boss of Me. Its really weird to think of TMBG being played on a station that plays Jennifer Lopez and 98 Degrees. Anyway, as I was listening for their request line number, the screaming idiot DJ comes on and announces that they are having have a "Malcolm in the Middle CD Release Party" that features the cast of the show and "that band that does the theme song, They Might Be Giants" Here's the details that I could make out: It's Thursday January 1 at CBS Studios "Radford Lot" in Studio City. (I think he said that's where they film the show) Here comes the unfortunate part... you gotta *win* tickets to get in. You listen to an hour worth of crap like Mya and Ricky Martin till they tell you to be caller # 102.7. I've been trying to win tickets the last couple of hours and my mind is turning to mush by the likes of N'Sync and Creed. Of course, I won't be lucky enough to win but it would be nice if one of US could get in and maybe post a report. They just played a winning call with some 13 year old bimbo squealing about how cute Frankie Muniz is. Is this the kind of audience TMBG is going to play for on Thursday? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A76790A.56FBFCF5@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:19:28 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: "Sapphire Bullets" (was re:irving plaza show) "Dave Novak" wrote: > > > First off, Sapphire Bullets were superb. Hearing Flood in its entirety never > sounded so good (I'm a proponent of the full-band sound). Cory kept on > messing up, but Tyler seemed Ok with it all.. It was only Their fifth gig > (if I remember correctly), and their first in NYC. I would love to hear an account of the Sapphire Bullets set from someone with less of an in-the -know-ish/"wink wink to those of you who were there" attitude. Meanwhile, I'm off to tmbg.net in search of such a thing. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:27:18 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Peter Schickele and PDQ Bach? From: Dan Tappan Message-ID: This Would be the Peter Schickele of PDQ Bach fame, then? Wow, last time I remember hearing PDQ bach on the radio, it was around 1990 on the Dr Demento Show on 97.1 KLSX in southern California.. Oddly enough that was the same radio show that I first heard TMBG on (They had the "Funny Five" countdown every week). I think we still have some PDQ Bach on Vinyl... On a somewhat related note, I Have my tickets to Their Hollywood House of Blues show, so hopefully I'll be able to provide some coverage for those who can't make it out to the west coast. dt * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- From The Daily Show: "I was not elected to serve one party." George W. Bush (video overlay) "You were not elected." Jon Stewart "I have something else to ask you, to ask every American. I ask you to pray for this great nation." Bush "We're way ahead of you." Jon Stewart "It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Nietzsche * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > ------------------------------ > > From: karinh@sterl.com > Message-Id: <0101299807.AA980797970@smtplink.sterl.com> > Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:52:47 -0500 > Subject: Re:TMBG: Fingertips on NPR > > Damn, I wish our NPR carried that program. Peter Schickele is intensely cool > in > his own right, I would have loved hearing him do his "musicalologist" thing on > TMBG. Anybody who has the slightest tolerance (or love, even) for classical > music, but doesn't believe in taking it *too* seriously, should definitely > check > him out. I'd love to know what theme "Fingertips" fit into.... > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3A7680C7.884F30AA@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:52:32 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Re:Subject: TMBG: TMBG On Late Night [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:12:08 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <9567bf$19v4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Re:Subject: TMBG: TMBG On Late Night >"Bongo" wrote in message >news:3A7680C7.884F30AA@pacificnet.net... >"Dan Brosnan" wrote: >Dear all, > Can anyone confirm or deny the dates that TMBG will be on >Leno/Kilborn....FOR SURE! I have heard Leno on the 5th and kilborn on >the >7th but on the cbs Kilborn site it says TMBG on the 1st and there isn't >mention of TMBG on Leno's site. Also at tvguide.com it says that the giants >will be only on the Kilborn show on the 2nd. I'M SO CONFUSED! I(as well >as >all of you) really really want to see them on late night. If i miss it like >i did The Daily Show's Millenium special I will Freak out. > > > I think Operator Dot has since cleared it up (Leno the 5th, Kilborn the >6th) but now I'm confused about something. I scribbled "TMBG on Conan" >on my calandar on February 1. I read it somewhere here or on the >newsgroup but I now dout its true. Tell me if I'm wrong. >-B O N G O The NBC site still has Feb. 1 for Kilborn and nothing for Leno. I was confused and unsure myself until I rang Dial-a-Song(which, by the way, has part of Mr. Xcitement, then a hilarious bit of Flans covering himself as to why he can't play the rest of the song). On DaS, Flans said Leno the 5th and Kilborn the "fi...uh...sixth." Polaris "82, 82, 82." -Raymond Babbitt "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 07:17:57 -0600 Message-ID: <3A76BF05.F7E5230E@uswest.net> From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG to Appear at Record Release Party in L.A.! Bongo wrote: > I've been trying to win tickets the last couple of hours and my mind is turning to mush by the likes of N'Sync and Creed. Of > course, I won't be lucky enough to win but it would be nice if one of US could get in and maybe post a report. They just played a > winning call with some 13 year old bimbo squealing about how cute Frankie Muniz is. Is this the kind of audience TMBG is going to > play for on Thursday? Possibly.... really, there's no escaping the fact that there are now going to be all these 'teeny-boppers' and other posers listening to TMBG. BUT this is a fad. How many of these new groupies will go out and buy everything else TMBG have put out prior to this? ..And if they show up @ a Giants show, they'll all be requesting 'Boss'. ..and those psuedo-fans will be freaked out (or just uninterested) in the rest of the show. I've heard of bands who'll play their 'hit' single off the bat, which please the newbies, just to get it out of the way. I happen to like 'Boss'. Fortunately, I don't listen to commercial radio much (it's usually NPR or RadioK, U of MN Radio), so I really won't be irritated by hearing 'Boss'. This frenzy will blow over. All that will be left, after the dust settles, will be the fans of the band. Jim "Is it Jim?" "I don't know." ------------------------------ From: Pahteeh@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:54:27 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #37-30 Message-ID: About yesterday's digest... Wow... that must have been a REALLY good show. or yesterday was just generally a very good day for tmbg fans.. i don't think i've ever read something with more positive energy in it that came from so many different people from so many different cities!! Whether you guys were talking about the show or citing the commercials on radio and tv that you heard/saw, that was really amazing.. i think i need to sit down... what i really feel like doing is cartwheels.. but i might get in trouble; i don't think my boss would like that too much. ok that's all, just thought I'd share my feelings with the group! :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:21:45 -0500 (EST) From: "Matthew W. Miller" Subject: TMBG: Re: Fingertips on NPR/Peter Schickele and PDQ Bach? Message-ID: On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Dan Tappan wrote: > > From: karinh@sterl.com > > I'd love to know what theme "Fingertips" fit into.... http://www.schickelemix.org/ Very sparse web site, but you can search the database of programs. There are four listings that match They Might Be Giants, two of which are for "Fingertips" (although one is misspelled "Figertips", so I feel somewhat less than trusting of its accuracy in general). > This Would be the Peter Schickele of PDQ Bach fame, then? Yes indeedy. -- Matthew W. Miller -- mwmiller@columbus.rr.com "Classic gaming on an IBM-compatible? Pah! Get a C64." -- Jason Petersen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:34:41 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <956u21$1hi6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: "Sapphire Bullets" (was re:irving plaza show) Bongo : > I would love to hear an account of the Sapphire Bullets set > from someone with less of an in-the -know-ish/"wink wink to > those of you who were there" attitude. Er, sorry. Wink-wink to those of you who *weren't* there... Sapphire Bullets took the stage to the "bo! bo!" strains of Wake Up Call. Each member was wearing a different They Might Be Giants t-shirt. They introduced themselves as Sapphire Bullets from Syracuse NY. At the keyboards was Jared, wearing thick glasses (but otherwise looking suspiciously like Linnell). Standing to his right was Tyler on guitar. Jared was the more outspoken of the two. He explained that they were going to play "the Flood album" and how they really preferred "their old stuff" and how "they've really gone downhill ever since Apollo 18." During the course of the set they introduced the other band members, Corey the drummer, Dylan the guitarist, Parker on bass, and Justin and TJ on horns. "They taught us some of the harder chords." Musically, they were very on. Everything sounded great. They beefed up Dead just a bit at the end, taking advantage of the full band, and I thought the result was outstanding. When they played Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love, they poured on the gusto. The staccato keyboard part that's so prominent in the recording was toned down, and they really seemed to emote during this song. The song They Might Be Giants went really well too; I especially liked the slow descent into cacophony at the end. Road Movie to Berlin (my current favorite Flood song) included all the lyrics from the liner notes (which I believe were also present in the Dial-A-Song version). Really, though, they were all solid performances, no song was disappointing. Dylan took some melody lines on the guitar that had been played on other instruments for the recordings. It was a good showcase for his talent. Corey was also smokin' hot as usual. Some other banter highlights (paraphrased, sorry, I'm no stenographer): - Jared: "I was talking to the Johns backstage, I was talking to Linnell, and... I don't know, he looks really skinny on TV, but man, he's been porking up." - After they finished Dead, Jared said "That's pretty much how we think they would play that song, *if* they ever actually *played* it." - Corey started playing Hearing Aid instead of Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, but Jared stopped him before anyone joined in. Tyler then said "I can't believe we screwed that up with They Might Be Giants in the dressing room. Last week in Syracuse it was *perfect*!" (Or wait, did he say it after Lucky Ball & Chain, during which he momentarily mixed up the verses?) - Jared: "So this is it, this is the song we named the band after..." Tyler: "In 1990, Flood came out, and in 1992, we formed Sapphire Bullets, the only TMBG tribute band that matters!" Jared: "Wherever you find small groups of people who appreciate good music, Sapphire Bullets will be there." - Jared: "Parker doesn't like it when bands play a song and it sounds different from the album." - Sometime around Twisting, somebody up on the balcony shouted "You guys are doing great!" to which Tyler responded "Thanks!" Some people off to my right kept shouting "Bring out They Might Be Giants!" which was sort of amusing, the first time. Bryce Here they come. ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: "Sapphire Bullets" (was re:irving plaza show) Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:12:06 -0500 Message-ID: That was after lucky ball.. but i remember him saying "read the set list dude" > > - Corey started playing Hearing Aid instead of Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, but Jared stopped him before anyone joined in. Tyler > then said "I can't believe we screwed that up with They Might Be Giants in the dressing room. Last week in Syracuse it was > *perfect*!" (Or wait, did he say it after Lucky Ball & Chain, during which he momentarily mixed up the verses?) > Yeah.. it was cute once. What was awesome is when TMBG came on and someone said "bring back saphire bullets" and flans said "those guys are lame" ;-) > - Sometime around Twisting, somebody up on the balcony shouted "You guys are doing great!" to which Tyler responded "Thanks!" Some > people off to my right kept shouting "Bring out . >They Might Be Giants!" which was sort of >amusing, the first time. Where were you, guy? I was actually looking for you. But like I didn't know what you looked like or anything and its possible that I actually talked with you but like I didn't ask your name because I can be just that lame some times. Anyway, I was in the front of the line while waiting but I think I will spare my boring description unless you wanna know . anyway peace out mah brothas! Chrissy > Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:57:30 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Message-ID: <9576dt$1lt9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: New Dial-a-Song! Hey, everyone call. First you'll get to hear a new full length version of Hovering Sombrero and guess what, there's no Spanish. The new verse is great! You can also hear Mr. Xcitement, the other M. Doughty song we've heard about.. or at least some of it.. 7183876962narrrrr -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:14:32 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <958018$23g5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: McSweeney's Quarterly Concern Well, I went ahead and got the four-issue subscription. I would have waited to get all the new material as mp3s from TMBG Unlimited (or someplace less, shall we say, virtuous, should TMBGU withhold some titles), but I figured this way I'll have the actual disc, and the articles that the songs are meant to accompany as an added bonus. I'll letcha know when it gets here (should be at least 3-4 weeks though). Bryce At the magazine concession. ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: John Lee Superstar Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:00:12 -0500 Message-ID: I am sure a lot of people have gotten this but for those who haven't Download the Sneak Peek of "John Lee Supertaster" John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants here. As a sneak preview of Issue #2 of TMBG Unlimited (coming out Thursday, February 1st at http://www.emusic.com/tmbg), They Might Be Giants is proud to offer up the song "John Lee Supertaster," the true story of our friend John Lee and his super powers. Check it, like totally, out. Chrissy `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` "Politics is the world's second oldest profession, closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter -- Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College http://drive.to/chrissy AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` ------------------------------ From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Supertaster!!! Not Superstar Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:03:29 -0500 Message-ID: I don't know why I read Superstar.. heh. Time of day of posting prolly Chrissy `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` "Politics is the world's second oldest profession, closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter -- Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College http://drive.to/chrissy AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <5c.692ee30.27a8ec89@aol.com> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:20:25 EST Subject: TMBG: Mr.Xcitement I think this is the first time I ever said this about a TMBG song. This song sucks donkey balls. it's rotten eww. how could TMBG write this crap? ick oh god my whole concept of reality has been altered. What a horrible day. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-31 ******************************