Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #37-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 37, Number 9 Tuesday, 9 January 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: TMBG Figures TMBG: Wallpaper TMBG: Hello again TMBG: Live Albums TMBG: Fleece Me Re: TMBG: Live Albums TMBG: *Several Things.... Re: TMBG: *Several Things.... TMBG: TRL TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece TMBG: Re: *Several Things.... Re: TMBG: TRL and other stuff Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece TMBG: About that video... TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Fleece Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece TMBG: 'Boss Of Me' on MTV TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! Re: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Figures Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:48:32 -0800 Message-ID: Omigosh I want one of those toys!!! ANd I thought the very same thing when I saw them: It looks like Mcfarlane toys may have made them for them. If they are at anytime available I want one so bad. That video though was obviously edited and I suppose there is a more full version to come flooding in on TRL next week (cough) But that was a very creative video with the toys and the funny Dad and the hula dancer..... Erich [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200101081829.NAA52142@f05n15.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:32:48 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Hello again Hello, Some of you may remember me, most of you probably don't. I was on the list for over two years before unsubscribing last spring. (I also posted once over the summer to relay my sob story of all of my cds being stolen). Anyway, seeing the MitM video last night prompted me to give the list another go, especially with albums possibly arriving in the near future. Just for the record, my name is Jason, I'm in my third year at Penn State Erie, and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA (when I'm not in school, anyway). --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Live Albums Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 12:09:04 -0800 Message-ID: I think that the thing with live albums is that it is all about acoustics in the hall and trying to find the right mix between the sound of the band with the audience reactions. Good banter between the artist and audience is also an added treat, which TMBG do well, for the most part. This shouldn't be a problem for Them to do, imho. An excellent example of how a live album should sound is on Joe Jackson's "Live 1980-86" album. Even if you're not a fan of him at the very least, you get to hear Joe introduce his bass player, Graham Maby. --Ole timer Carl > I'll admit i didn't like STD as much. It seems like they tried to make >their "live" album sound as studio as possible (they took out all the croud >noise for crying out loud). People always make this comment, but I've yet to see an explanation as to how crowd noise is a good thing. Maybe if the audience had been singing along or something it would have been appropriate, but I'm not sure random clapping adds all that much to a recording. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:23:56 -0500 Message-Id: <200101081623.AA1136001222@megahits.com> From: "lees" Subject: TMBG: Fleece Me I wasn't sure if I had checked that box or not. Any idea how to go back and find it. Lee ------------------------------ From: "General Purplefeet" Subject: Re: TMBG: Live Albums Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:33:55 -0000 Message-ID: Carl Hoffmann: >I think that the thing with live albums is that it is all about acoustics >in >the hall and trying to find the right mix between the sound of the band >with >the audience reactions. Good banter between the artist and audience is >also >an added treat, which TMBG do well, for the most part. This shouldn't be a >problem for Them to do, imho. I would have liked to hear some banter on an album such as Severe Tire Damage, certainly. Saying that there is one right way to make a live album is kind of silly, though. The Johns didn't really go for the traditional live album sound, as they mentioned themselves in a few interviews. In fact, I think they mentioned the main goal as being to show how certain songs have evolved (with a few hits being tossed in for good measure). Keeping this in mind, I think perhaps it's more important to judge what WAS done than what could have been done, and that the album should be judged on its own merits, rather than compared to some imaginary standard of what a live album SHOULD be. The main problem that I found with Severe Tire Damage was not the lack of a "live" sound, but rather lack of preparation. How many shows were recorded in making the album? Not very many, I believe. It seems to me that, if you want to show the best recordings of a particular group of songs, you would record several versions of each one. Now, to me, the Severe Tire Damage version of "Ana Ng" sounds a bit subpar. Perhaps the Johns really DID like it, and their opinions are just different from mine. I think it's possible, however, that, when it came time to make the album, they didn't have very many live recordings of "Ana Ng" available, so they used the best of what they had, even though it wasn't particularly good. "Why Does The Sun Shine?" was also done without any of the goofy spoken word parts that make it amusing in concert. Maybe that was done on purpose, but I really think they could have provided a much better version of this one. The best examples, though, are those Planet of the Apes tracks. Why didn't the Johns record these themselves, rather than relying on scratchy bootlegs? Now, I don't dislike Severe Tire Damage. I think it's a great album. I also think, however, that it could have been a little bit better with some more preparation. -- Eat your broccoli, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: *Several Things.... Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:50:54 -0800 Message-ID: *I was looking for the Literary Journal in which TMBG does music for several of the articles as many of you know. I asked about it at Barnes & Noble and they told me they no longer carry it. So I went down to this place called Bulldog News in Seattle. They carry it there. They had the last issue the new one is still not out. I wanted to go to the website again but I cant find it. Who posted it last? Or does someone have it? Thanks. * Also someone said a bit back that "Whoever directed the Brave New World cideos should be directing tmbg's videos-- no dis on Flansburgh but...." anyway I wanted to say to that person that Flansburgh did direct those. *I want a TMBG toy! * I expected a flood of e-mails today with everyone a chatter about the video. alas no one saying much..... Erich ------------------------------ Date: 08 Jan 2001 14:55:34 -0800 Message-ID: <-1233156764ggr@wlg.com> From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: *Several Things.... Erich Cannon wrote: > >* I expected a flood of e-mails today with everyone a chatter about the >video. alas no one saying much..... > I didn't even know it premiered last night until I looked at my email today! Where was the advanced warning?!?!? Fortunately, I had the VCR taping Fox from 7 to 11 so I'm gonna check it out now. I'm damn curious about this toy stuff everyone's talking about. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: TRL Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:08:00 -0800 Message-ID: I guess everyone on the newsgroup is talking about us all voiting for boss of me on TRL next week. I say YES YES YES. lets get this song to #1. What a feeling to attempt to get TMBG to triumph over Britney and Backstreet!! Erich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010108230706.68862.qmail@web11603.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:07:06 -0800 (PST) From: Rob Bell Subject: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece I have been a lurker on this list for about a half a year or so and this is my first post. I just wanted to let everyone know that I received my TMBG unlimited fleece in the mail today and I started my paid subscription around the last day of November. Also, in reference to earlier posts about a long wait for the Working Undercover For The Man cd, I received mine in the mail about two weeks after I ordered the downloads. ===== The only true evil - is the one we create, The only true good - is the one we destroy, and the only true bliss - is the one we can find. -Garet Jax __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:28:29 -0500 From: "Bryce" Message-ID: <93diir$svc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: *Several Things.... Erich Cannon wrote in message news:OE2uLn5U9T3TGJ2TUSz0000050a@hotmail.com... > *I was looking for the Literary Journal in which TMBG does music for > several of the articles as many of you know. I asked about it at Barnes & > Noble and they told me they no longer carry it. So I went down to this place > called Bulldog News in Seattle. They carry it there. They had the last issue > the new one is still not out. I wanted to go to the website again but I cant > find it. Who posted it last? Or does someone have it? Thanks. http://www.mcsweeneys.net/books/ Last time I checked, it wasn't out yet. But in answer to someone's earlier question, it looks like even on this website we'll be able to order just the one issue. Bryce ------------------------------ From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:40:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TRL and other stuff In a message dated 1/8/01 6:04:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, mrminiwheat60@hotmail.com writes: << I guess everyone on the newsgroup is talking about us all voiting for boss of me on TRL next week. I say YES YES YES. lets get this song to #1. What a feeling to attempt to get TMBG to triumph over Britney and Backstreet!! >> Guess I'll get to put my several email addresses to good use. hehe. I have to get me a TMBG toy too. Did anyone notice that the dumpster said "TMBG TOYS" on it? Just thought I'd point that out. A local radio station played "Boss of Me" yesterday and said "This is They Might Be Giants saying F- you." I went to turn on the radio today and said "I bet they're playing 'Boss of Me" Indeed, they were. Another thing I'd like to share is an odd dream I had. I was in some strange town and my car broke down. I was at this place having it fixed when I found out these giant cyclops creatures were terrorizing the town. I saw one and said "Look, they might be giants." Must have to stay away from the nachos before bed . I am still fleeceless. Damn it all to hell. ------------------------------ From: DrSaxx@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:41:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece I signed onto the free one month thing in early November...a few days ago I got a little card in the mail w/ Linnell and Flans on it holding 2 phones saying to sign onto tmbg unlimited....is the card from emusic or tmbg.com...anyone else get the card oh yes....still no fleece..grr. Harlan Muir DrSaxx@aol.com [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: About that video... Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:02:22 Message-ID: Do we know for a fact that the video was a shortened version? So far, I've seen somebody say say they heard a rumor that it was just a 90-second clip, and someone making their own observation that it was cut up, but I'd feel better seeing something official. The ads for it durng "The Simpsons" didn't give any indication that it wasn't the real McCoy. I hope it was a shortened version, because I think if the shots weren't so rapid-fire it would be even cooler. It was hard to tell what was going on sometimes, I thought. Even if it is the final cut, it's still fantastic, and I heard several people talking about it today, so I think it made at least a little bit of an impression. Oh, and if it IS shortened, how are we supposed to see the long one if it doesn't make MTV? I never understood how anyone got to see the "Dr. Worm" video before Direct From Brooklyn came out, unless everyone relied on crappy streaming video. Oh well. I'm willing to wait for the next video compilation without complaining too much. After all, life IS unfair, and everyone knows it. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01c079d1$af384480$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited Fleece Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:18:25 -0500 > The only true evil - is the one we create, > The only true good - is the one we destroy, > and the only true bliss - is the one we can find. > -Garet Jax I just felt it necessary to point out how cool this person is for including a Terry Brooks qoute in his E-Mail. Garet Jax is the most bad-ass characters ever. Rock on. Jon ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:37:32 -0600 From: "Polaris" Message-ID: <93dmbu$vhc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Fleece > > I signed onto the free one month thing in early November...a few days > > ago I > > got a little card in the mail w/ Linnell and Flans on it holding 2 phones > > saying to sign onto tmbg unlimited....is the card from emusic or > > tmbg.com...anyone else get the card? > I got it...check out the back...it's actually a sticker :) > Kay, who's fleece is scheduled to arrive on the twelfth, yay! " Look closely. Flansburgh has a little something in his nose. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks 12 days to the ascent of Emperor George W. Bush! Brace for impact! ------------------------------ From: TMBGDot@aol.com Message-ID: <9f.f988599.278bb9e0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:48:32 EST Subject: TMBG: 'Boss Of Me' on MTV Hi Everybody, MTV has received the full-length 'Boss Of Me' video, so be sure to call/ email and ask to see it! Love Operator Dot ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:58:46 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! ATTENTION ALL FELLOW TMBG DORKS: Let the requesting begin! We must call and demand Boss of Me to be played! Radio stations, Mtv, VH1, anything that will listen to us must be notified. There are winds of change blowing. This may be the begining of a Brave New TMBG Filled World. Onward, onward to VICTORY! For starters here's TRLs request address: http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/trl/&sub=shows ------------------------------ From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:11:19 -0700 Message-ID: Gah! I can't get the damned thing to work! It keeps telling me 'Oops, you forgot something' and it WON'T TELL ME WHAT!!! *Kicks MTV's Website in the nuts* Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Gegatron@aol.com Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 5:59 PM To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! ATTENTION ALL FELLOW TMBG DORKS: Let the requesting begin! We must call and demand Boss of Me to be played! Radio stations, Mtv, VH1, anything that will listen to us must be notified. There are winds of change blowing. This may be the begining of a Brave New TMBG Filled World. Onward, onward to VICTORY! For starters here's TRLs request address: http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/trl/&sub=shows ------------------------------ From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:37:45 -0700 Message-ID: Nope. I'll try again, though. Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico -----Original Message----- From: John Ferrer [mailto:aceduke@hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 2:36 AM To: refund@nmt.edu Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! You have to give it your first name and every detail of your age. You probably left out one of the age parts, because that's what I did at first. >From: "Nicholas Wolf" >Reply-To: "Nicholas Wolf" >To: >Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:11:19 -0700 > >Gah! I can't get the damned thing to work! It keeps telling me 'Oops, you >forgot something' and it WON'T TELL ME WHAT!!! *Kicks MTV's Website in the >nuts* > >Signed, > Nicholas Wolf > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On >Behalf Of Gegatron@aol.com >Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 5:59 PM >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! > > > ATTENTION ALL FELLOW TMBG DORKS: > >Let the requesting begin! We must call and demand Boss of Me to be >played! >Radio stations, Mtv, VH1, anything that will listen to us must be notified. >There are winds of change blowing. This may be the begining of a Brave New >TMBG Filled World. Onward, onward to VICTORY! > >For starters here's TRLs request address: >http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/trl/&sub=shows > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:04:45 -0500 From: scratch Message-ID: <3A5A8DDD.C6AE11E5@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! I figgered it out... you have to not click the "other" option. -scratch Nicholas Wolf wrote: > > Nope. I'll try again, though. > > Signed, > Nicholas Wolf > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > > -----Original Message----- > From: John Ferrer [mailto:aceduke@hotmail.com] > Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 2:36 AM > To: refund@nmt.edu > Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! > > You have to give it your first name and every detail of your age. You > probably left out one of the age parts, because that's what I did at first. > > >From: "Nicholas Wolf" > >Reply-To: "Nicholas Wolf" > >To: > >Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! > >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:11:19 -0700 > > > >Gah! I can't get the damned thing to work! It keeps telling me 'Oops, you > >forgot something' and it WON'T TELL ME WHAT!!! *Kicks MTV's Website in the > >nuts* > > > >Signed, > > Nicholas Wolf > > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > > > >-----Original Message----- > >From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On > >Behalf Of Gegatron@aol.com > >Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 5:59 PM > >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > >Subject: TMBG: TMBG FANS UNITE!!!! > > > > > > ATTENTION ALL FELLOW TMBG DORKS: > > > >Let the requesting begin! We must call and demand Boss of Me to be > >played! > >Radio stations, Mtv, VH1, anything that will listen to us must be notified. > >There are winds of change blowing. This may be the begining of a Brave New > >TMBG Filled World. Onward, onward to VICTORY! > > > >For starters here's TRLs request address: > >http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/trl/&sub=shows > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #37-9 *****************************