Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 16 Friday, 16 February 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: TMBG on Conan tonight Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? PLUS Trivia! Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? PLUS Trivia! TMBG: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! TMBG: Sock Puppets and TMBG Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: Rare music Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: Re: Rare music Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG TMBG: Re: Rare music TMBG: Re: Rare music Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG TMBG: So, "Boss of Me" is on a promo-only DVD now... Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG TMBG: Arghhh Re: TMBG: Re: Rare music TMBG: Re: Arghhh Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: TMBG on Conan TMBG: Re: TMBG on Conan Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:41:01 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96g1bc$26lv$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C096F8.BBE867C0 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable For the record, these are the lyrics: Sharon, Preston and Steve need to know, so why don't you call them? Who's gonna guess the dead guy, who's gonna guess the dead guy, who's = gonna guess the dead guy in envelope? Who's gonna guess the dead guy, who's gonna guess the dead guy, who's = gonna guess the dead guy and win ten grand easy cash? On Y100.... -Mike Jon wrote in message = news:000c01c096e4$b7b869c0$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com... The words were a bit different back then (Im sure you can figure them = out for yourself) but the music was the same. ------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C096F8.BBE867C0 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
For the record, these are the lyrics:

Sharon, Preston and Steve need to know, so why don't = you call=20 them?
Who's gonna guess the dead guy, who's = gonna guess=20 the dead guy, who's gonna guess the dead guy in=20 envelope?
Who's gonna guess the dead guy, who's = gonna guess=20 the dead guy, who's gonna guess the dead guy and win ten = grand easy=20 cash?
On Y100....

-Mike
Jon <Mrbean63@home.com>=20 wrote in message news:000c0= 1c096e4$b7b869c0$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com...

The words were a bit different = back then (Im=20 sure you can figure them out for yourself) but the music was the=20 same.
------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C096F8.BBE867C0-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:29:30 -0800 From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: Whoever does have it dont hold out! It's just a radio jinlge! Share the wealth people. I dont know why they'd want to not have it leaked lord knows everything else they is available with a click of the mouse. So anyway someone who has that uplaod that sh!t to twisted.com Erich > >hehehe I remember when that happened. Certain people I could name on this >list have mp3s of that original recording, and they asked people not to >spread it around. I bet you can guess who it is.. but thats not important >What is important is that the song is neat.. i have that appearence on tape >somewhere.. I will have to find it >Chrissy _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:23:47 EST From: TMBGDot@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Conan tonight Message-ID: <40.77ffc89.27bd78b3@aol.com> They Might Be Giants will be on a brand-new Late Night With Conan O'Brien tonight- set your VCR's! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:02:47 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96hcq5$8mn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org No. -Mike Erich Cannon wrote in message news:F297Msrq6hspq8IPvWX0000c62d@hotmail.com... > Whoever does have it dont hold out! It's just a radio jinlge! Share the > wealth people. I dont know why they'd want to not have it leaked lord knows > everything else they is available with a click of the mouse. > > So anyway someone who has that uplaod that sh!t to twisted.com > > Erich ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:18:26 -0500 From: Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <0102159822.AA982268311@smtplink.sterl.com> Why not? Is it on an album that we would be buying if we couldn't listen to it for free? Finding a treasure chest isn't the same thing as piracy, y'know.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Author: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Date: 02/15/01 3:02 PM No. -Mike Erich Cannon wrote in message news:F297Msrq6hspq8IPvWX0000c62d@hotmail.com... > Whoever does have it dont hold out! It's just a radio jinlge! Share the > wealth people. I dont know why they'd want to not have it leaked lord knows > everything else they is available with a click of the mouse. > > So anyway someone who has that uplaod that sh!t to twisted.com > > Erich ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:46:26 -0800 From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: Oh thats nice. I know Mike has disregards against twisted.com but your not any different when you offer up unreleased songs recorded live. So whats the big deal over this short radio jingle recorded with a static background and playing in one area of the US so that anyone else besided you could also tape and offer up. But no, this jingle isnt for the rest of us. That would be plagerism and ripping the Johns off of the whopping $0.00 dollars they probably got for doing it. I guess we'll just have to wait for the "whose gonna guess the deas guy" album to come out before the rest of us can hear it. whatever. Erich >No. -Mike > > Whoever does have it dont hold out! It's just a radio jinlge! Share the > > wealth people. I dont know why they'd want to not have it leaked lord >knows > > everything else they is available with a click of the mouse. > > > > So anyway someone who has that uplaod that sh!t to twisted.com > > > > Erich > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:24:43 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96hoko$ld5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Firstly, the site is "twistid", not "twisted". Secondly, I simply refuse to donate to a site that rips They Might Be Giants off left and right. I'm still waiting for someone to request that I put it on my own TMBG site... -Mike Erich Cannon wrote in message news:F3768E0hpfuIbBOn4rJ000154c3@hotmail.com... > > > > Oh thats nice. I know Mike has disregards against twisted.com but your not > any different when you offer up unreleased songs recorded live. So whats the > big deal over this short radio jingle recorded with a static background and > playing in one area of the US so that anyone else besided you could also > tape and offer up. But no, this jingle isnt for the rest of us. That would > be plagerism and ripping the Johns off of the whopping $0.00 dollars they > probably got for doing it. > > I guess we'll just have to wait for the "whose gonna guess the deas guy" > album to come out before the rest of us can hear it. > > whatever. > > Erich > > > >No. > > -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:41:52 -0500 From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? PLUS Trivia! Message-ID: <001c01c097a8$e48fc0a0$6501a8c0@amy> Firstly, the site is "twistid", not "twisted". Secondly, I simply refuse to donate to a site that rips They Might Be Giants off left and right. I'm still waiting for someone to request that I put it on my own TMBG site... Hey, Mike, your site rocks. Are you gonna put the song up there? :) Ok, so I'm a day late with this Valentine-y trivia, but way back in 1849, the first photograph of a U.S. President was taken by Matthew Brady in New York City. President James Polk was the subject of the famous picture. Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:04:07 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? PLUS Trivia! Message-ID: <96hqul$nqe$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00EE_01C09782.1293E980 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Certainly Amy, Who's Gonna Guess the Dead Guy? is now on my website's = sound page. Enjoy. -Mike www.theymightbegiants.org Amy : wrote in message = news:001c01c097a8$e48fc0a0$6501a8c0@amy... Firstly, the site is "twistid", not "twisted". Secondly, I simply = refuse to donate to a site that rips They Might Be Giants off left and right. = I'm still waiting for someone to request that I put it on my own TMBG = site... Hey, Mike, your site rocks. Are you gonna put the song up there? :) ------=_NextPart_000_00EE_01C09782.1293E980 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Certainly Amy, Who's Gonna Guess the Dead Guy? is = now on my=20 website's sound page. Enjoy.

-Mike
www.theymightbegiants.org
Amy : <agreen@columbus.rr.com> = wrote in=20 message news:001c01c097a8$e48fc0= a0$6501a8c0@amy...
Firstly, the site is "twistid", not "twisted". Secondly, I simply = refuse=20 to
donate to a site that rips They Might Be Giants off left and = right.=20 I'm
still waiting for someone to request that I put it on my own = TMBG=20 site...

Hey, Mike, your site rocks.  = Are you=20 gonna put the song up there? = :)
------=_NextPart_000_00EE_01C09782.1293E980-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:10:49 EST From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Message-ID: <8d.273395d.27bdca09@aol.com> Anyone here noticed that a lot of Linnells songs written in the last few years contain a very long extended note? Here's some examples: MAAAAAAAAAAAN ITS SO LOUD IN HERE!...BAAAAAAAAAANGS...MAAAAAAAAAN OH MAN MY THROAT IS DRY....MONTANA IS A LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG! Also it seems that tmbg listened to my online bitching and are playing older tonight on Conan! YAY!! anybody know any statistics on how well the malcolm cd is selling? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:37:40 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96hsj8$pfn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > I simply refuse to > donate to a site that rips They Might Be Giants off left and right. Mrow! Hiss! Male catfight! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:43:16 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: Hey Mike, I also have a strong dislike for this site. I was just wondering how it rips of tmbg? (I am not being argumentative I am just wondering your opinion). What I have heard from people who run other tmbg oriented sites is that twisted rips sites like yours and others that offer rare tmbg mp3s off by not crediting where the mp3 came from. So, everyone thinks that this guy has vast resources and is really cool, when he is taking songs off the sites of long time fans. Please explain what you mean to me. Chrissy > Firstly, the site is "twistid", not "twisted". Secondly, I simply refuse to > donate to a site that rips They Might Be Giants off left and right. I'm > still waiting for someone to request that I put it on my own TMBG site... > > -Mike > > Erich Cannon wrote in message > news:F3768E0hpfuIbBOn4rJ000154c3@hotmail.com... > > > > > > > > Oh thats nice. I know Mike has disregards against twisted.com but your > not > > any different when you offer up unreleased songs recorded live. So whats > the > > big deal over this short radio jingle recorded with a static background > and > > playing in one area of the US so that anyone else besided you could also > > tape and offer up. But no, this jingle isnt for the rest of us. That would > > be plagerism and ripping the Johns off of the whopping $0.00 dollars they > > probably got for doing it. > > > > I guess we'll just have to wait for the "whose gonna guess the deas guy" > > album to come out before the rest of us can hear it. > > > > whatever. > > > > Erich > > > > > > >No. > > > > -Mike > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:51:52 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Message-ID: <96htdu$ql1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > Anyone here noticed that a lot of Linnells songs written in the last few > years contain a very long extended note? Here's some examples: > MAAAAAAAAAAAN ITS SO LOUD IN HERE!...BAAAAAAAAAANGS...MAAAAAAAAAN OH MAN MY > THROAT IS DRY....MONTANA IS A LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG! ...but they call me Doctor Woooooooooooorm! The spiralling shape will make you go insaaaaaane... Subliminaaaaaaal.... and hard to seeeeeeee... ...back in my snail sheeeeeeeeell! ...noone understaaaaaands... noone knows my plaaaaaaan. My evil twiiiiiin.... bad weather frieeeeeend...(Flans sings, but I think JL wrote) Maaaaaaaammal, maaaaaaamal... ...or I'm still alive and there's nothin' I want to doooooo... ...when you open up your letterbox tomorrooooooooow... ...women and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen... Sapphire bulleeeeeeeeeeeeeeets... of puuuuuuure looooooove... ...they might be frying up a stalk of wheeeeeeat... I've got a match - your embrace and my collaaaaaapse. Hey, Mr. DJ, I thought you said we had a deeeeeeeeeeal... ...in the nightgown of the sullen mooooooon... ...put your hand inside the puppet heeead... Dooooon't, don't, don't let's start... how you get aroooooound... that is beautifuuuul... ...I don't think she knows I knooow... callin' you the nicest thiiiiiiings... ...no others need applyyyyyyyy to the ryhthm section want aaad, and heere's the reeeeason whyyyyyy... Hiiiiiiiiiii, we're the Replacements... rock 'n' roll baaaaaand... Linnell has been doing this stuff for years. It's not just OK, it's not just good, it's great. It shows his love of the theatrical showtune-style songs with long vocal notes accompanied by instrumental flourishing. My songwriting style is similar in that respect. Look uuuuuuuuuuup... but you haven't heard that yet. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:54:21 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96htsr$r6s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org First of all, everything on the site was uploaded by visitors, Adam does not go around looking for MP3s online to post on his site. I feel that he is ripping off TMBG by posting their studio recordings. There are a lot of people that disagree with me, they think it's okay if the song is out of print or otherwise unavailable. I feel that only TMBG or their record company has the right to distribute thier studio recordings, regardless of what the song is or where it came from... call me crazy. -Mike Christina Rockwell wrote in message news:LAW2-OE60zkWgymG1Id00003ce0@hotmail.com... > > Hey Mike, > I also have a strong dislike for this site. I was just wondering how it > rips of tmbg? (I am not being argumentative I am just wondering your > opinion). What I have heard from people who run other tmbg oriented sites > is that twisted rips sites like yours and others that offer rare tmbg mp3s > off by not crediting where the mp3 came from. So, everyone thinks that this > guy has vast resources and is really cool, when he is taking songs off the > sites of long time fans. Please explain what you mean to me. > Chrissy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:59:50 EST From: DrSaxx@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Message-ID: <87.6f2f229.27bdd586@aol.com> You forgot about probably the longest one... REST AWHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Harlan Muir TMBG Ambassador of "Iowa" DrSaxx@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:11:08 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: Totally cool..now that I know I will not say anything else about it. From what I was told I was made to understand that Adam knowingly did it. Then what sucks is the people who steal the songs from other sites and upload them to twistid like they are their own. heh Anyway.. I will not say anything else and I am sorry Adam. Chrissy > Not to argue on anyones side but this guy doesnt credit cause he doesnt know > where they came from. Its uploaded to him and he posts. he might know that > some are from Mike's site I dont know. but you know what is "ripping off the > Johns" these days anyway? Post a telephone recorded song or post a bootleg > unreleased song someone recorded live. which is worse? We all trade tapes of > DAS from the past, why not now? The internet is a great way to obtain > material like this rather than trading tapes over snail mail. The TWISTID > guy (so sorry i placed an 'e' instead of an 'i' always did "love" when > people post grammatical errors) is pretty good about not posting studio > material. Thats a fair thing. Whats cool is its good place to collect > Dial-a-songs. look at those old tapes many of us have. Tons of those songs > have never been released in any other mediumbut at least we have them to > hear. For example the current song on DAS 'the sun is on fire' say its never > ever ever released well its cool that i have an old crappy recording of a > rare tmbg song. I dont kno, everyone has their own opinions and thats fine. > Mike, I dont mean to get all uppity but what can you do? TMBG is not the > only band with websites offering up mp3z of there stuff. wether it be live > bootleg recordings or rare b-sides. Hell not many fans can get a song like > 'Cabbagetown' unless they shell out fifty bucks on eBat to buy the > palindrome single. Now thats profiteering. > > Erich > > "Hey Mike! Post that Radio Jingle up on your site!" > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:21:51 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96hvgc$sns$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Are you kidding me? There are plenty of studio recordings on there. Perhaps the best example are the Factory Showroom Sessions outtakes.. John & John were very upset when these recordings were leaked, do you think they woula appriciate them being online? As for out of print b-sides, you think that because they are OOP it makes it right to give it out? Shame. -Mike >snail mail. The TWISTID guy is pretty good about not posting studio > material. Thats a fair thing. Whats cool is its good place to collect ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:34:14 -0800 From: garrett27@juno.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! WOO HOOO! Message-ID: <20010215.173414.-1758627.0.Garrett27@juno.com> And you can't forget the great one in "What is everyone staring at?" "Can you please inspect my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace?" It's a couple seconds longer than the one in Rest Awhile. Hehe, this is a funny topic. Garrett ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:17:41 EST From: Oogaboogabooooo@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: Just thought I'd tell you a bit of a story about how I found a person who has meet TMBG. . .Although it is not much of a story, it's MY story. . So there. . And if most of you do not recognize my name, that would be because I am new. . . Howdy to all who hate new people. . . I was at Borders (a big giant book/music/everything store) buying the CD 'Flood' and taking a picture of a sock puppet paying for the CD. . Anyway, I went to the Cafi register because I was also hungry, when I realized I left my wallet in the car (. . dang. . ) so my friend who was with me went to go get it whilst I waited at the register. Soon I found myself absent mindedly talking to the store clerk about our sock puppet adventures (if you want the full story on THAT interesting thing e-mail me at Oogaboogabooooo@aol.com) but eventually my friend came back with the wallet and we took the picture. As my sock covered hand holding the 'Flood' CD was posing, another store clerk noticed it was a TMBG CD and told me that he met them in person because his band was playing before TMBG at a concert. . Go figure. . This absolutely astonished me and I made him sign my sock puppet, don't ask why it was late . . Modern Major General "I'm your friend I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. . . . . But I am . . ." (Lyrics to Birdhouse in your Soul) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:25:48 -0800 From: garrett27@juno.com Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <20010215.182548.-1758627.1.Garrett27@juno.com> I don't want to take sides on this issue because I have feelings both ways (so I guess I'm taking both sides), but it was said that they don't have studio material, and TDK's right, there's lots of it. I had way too much time on my hands, so I went through and checked which songs are studio songs or still available, etc. I've probably missed a bunch as well. I personally like the convenience of the site, and even though I do download a lot of these recordings, I'm still going to buy the actual records and promotions that they are from (to my best ability that is). I still buy the singles and ep's when they're available even after I've downloaded the songs. First of all, there are the videos. Particle Man and Istanbul (Tiny Toon Versions) are both available for download and are still being sold by the John's at concerts and on their website on "Direct From Brooklyn". Then there are also many versions of Boss of Me, and I bet that the John's will eventually put that up for sale. Those are all studio recordings themselves. Studio Recordings on twistid.com: Olive the Other Reindeer Boss of Me (Instrumental) Welcome To the Jungle The Guitar (Remixes) Moving to the Sun The Devil Went Down to Newport Walk on Water The entire "Live!! in New York City" CD! The Guitar single Lousiana - direct off the still available Montana single Feast of Light Sensurround Cyclops Rock Practically, if not the entire "We Might Be Giants, Too" album Nixon's the One Unsupervised Oddball Songs off of the "House of Mayors" CD Songs off of the original "State Songs" CD As written on the site: "Where Your Eyes Don't GoÁÁStudio Recording (Unknown Album)" "Older (Studio Version)" "Your Racist Friend (Remix)ÁÁDon't Lets Start (German EP)" From the still available Back to Skull EP: She Was A Hotel Detective Ondine Mrs. Train From the I Palindrome I ep? : Siftin Cabbage Town Supposedly off the Istanbul ep: Ant Stormy Pinkness James K Polk From the still available "O, Tannenbaum" record: O, Tannenbaum Christmas Cards ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 02:25:58 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Rare music Message-ID: What kind of skewed nimrod-logic says that because something isn't available in its original form, we should all let it die and not make any attempt to let people have it anymore? That's ridiculous. My mistake for not going out and buying the Istanbul single when I was seven years old. If someone has the means to widely distribute TMBG songs to fans that wouldn't be able to hear them any other way, the only crime would be to keep the music to themselves. It's one thing to be angry about TMBG Unlimited files or MP3's straight from an available album, but to prevent people from hearing unavailable songs is taking that idea to a ridiculous, pointless, and mindless degree. Crack dealers are more generous than that. And Twistid doesn't claim to be the end all and be all source. The site clearly states that it strives on viewer uploads, and so what if it does? That's a good thing. I'm glad someone is compiling all these things that we'd have to scour the Internet for otherwise. God bless Twistid. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:23:23 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96i33p$109l$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org You can scratch that one, those are being officially hosted there. -Mike > Practically, if not the entire "We Might Be Giants, Too" album ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:37:43 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: Rare music Message-ID: <96i3ul$111q$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I never suggested that. You simply have to wait for the material to be re-released. If you think that twistid is not hurting the future release of TMBG's second b-side album you are sorely mistaken. Be patient, be patient. Patience is its own reward. -Mike John Ferrer wrote in message news:F272tlm0ORaQIEZv6eZ0000e21a@hotmail.com... > What kind of skewed nimrod-logic says that because something isn't available > in its original form, we should all let it die and not make any attempt to > let people have it anymore? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:49:00 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96i49i$11gc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > their record > company has the right to distribute thier studio recordings Damn capitalist. But seriously, you misspelled "tier". Ha ha. I'm funny! FUNNY, DAMMIT! My new rap name, Polio. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:53:57 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <96i4is$11pc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > Practically, if not the entire "We Might Be Giants, Too" album > You can scratch that one, those are being officially hosted there. On top of that, I'm not sure I'd call it a "studio" recording. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:57:27 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: <96i4pd$11t0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > I was at Borders ... taking a picture of a sock puppet paying for the CD Ya gotta love a story that starts like this. > "I'm your friend I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing > friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. . > . . . But I am . . ." (Lyrics to Birdhouse in your Soul) If you're quoting BiYS as your sig, then you MUST be new around here. Mister Dudeguymanhead "Your not the boss of me no no your not so big." -Your not the boss of Me from Malkim in the Midl ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:59:15 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: Rare music Message-ID: <96i4sq$128l$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "The Demonic Kangaroo" wrote in message news:96i3ul$111q$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > I never suggested that. You simply have to wait for the material to be > re-released. If you think that twistid is not hurting the future release of > TMBG's second b-side album you are sorely mistaken. Be patient, be patient. > Patience is its own reward. > > -Mike > > John Ferrer wrote in message > news:F272tlm0ORaQIEZv6eZ0000e21a@hotmail.com... > > What kind of skewed nimrod-logic says that because something isn't > available > > in its original form, we should all let it die and not make any attempt to > > let people have it anymore? > > > Well, Adam fills a niche just as you fill another niche with an awesome live selection. As long as Adam's site doesn't have the Famous Polka Stage Collapse, you'll have that little edge in the live area. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:01:45 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: Rare music Message-ID: <96i5bn$12ic$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I'm not looking for an edge, and I'm not competing with any other sites. The sole reason that I have complained about my MP3s being on twistid is that it makes it look like I support what Adam is doing, which is disrespecting TMBG. That's what it really comes down to, respect. -Mike Polaris wrote in message news:96i4sq$128l$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > Well, Adam fills a niche just as you fill another niche with an awesome live > selection. As long as Adam's site doesn't have the Famous Polka Stage > Collapse, you'll have that little edge in the live area. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:34:26 -0500 From: tmbgirl@juno.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: <20010215.223435.-381003.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:57:27 -0600 "Polaris" writes: > > "I'm your friend I'm not your only friend, but I'm a > > little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. . > > . . . But I am . . ." (Lyrics to Birdhouse in your Soul) > If you're quoting BiYS as your sig, then you MUST be new around > here. > Mister Dudeguymanhead > "Your not the boss of me no no your not so big." -Your not the boss > of Me from Malkim in the Midl What is that supposed to mean? Where's the logic? You're quoting BoM in your sig, does that mean that you've been around here for ages? I feel like you're implying that just because BiYS and PM are the two TMBG songs that, historically, have introduced most fans to their music that once they hear the rest, they'll automatically abandon the those two as their favorite songs. That to speak of either of those two implies that those are the only TMBG songs you're familiar with. He must be new because he obviously doesn't know any of the other songs... if he did, he'd be sure to quote them. Because to quote the most recent song they've released means that you're up to date and chilling with everything in the past, right? take it easy, special J http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:02:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: So, "Boss of Me" is on a promo-only DVD now... Message-ID: <4.2.0.58.20010215230143.00954040@reit.pair.com> http://www.promoonly.com/pousa/listings-dvd-hvid.html #38 on th' list. Too bad these suckers aren't cheaper. -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:29:49 -0500 From: "Jon" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <001801c097d1$1a596880$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> > Practically, if not the entire "We Might Be Giants, Too" album Im pretty sure that the guys who made We Might Be Giants Too "licensed" (ha ha) their CD to twistId.com I remember there being some post on the twistid site saying something to the likes of "The we Might Be Giants Guys have graciously donated their CD to this website." Something like that...whatever. Time for bed. Watch Conan tonight! ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 9:25 PM Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? > I don't want to take sides on this issue because I have feelings both > ways (so I guess I'm taking both sides), but it was said that they don't > have studio material, and TDK's right, there's lots of it. I had way too > much time on my hands, so I went through and checked which songs are > studio songs or still available, etc. I've probably missed a bunch as > well. I personally like the convenience of the site, and even though I > do download a lot of these recordings, I'm still going to buy the actual > records and promotions that they are from (to my best ability that is). > I still buy the singles and ep's when they're available even after I've > downloaded the songs. > > First of all, there are the videos. Particle Man and Istanbul (Tiny Toon > Versions) are both available for download and are still being sold by the > John's at concerts and on their website on "Direct From Brooklyn". Then > there are also many versions of Boss of Me, and I bet that the John's > will eventually put that up for sale. Those are all studio recordings > themselves. > > Studio Recordings on twistid.com: > > Olive the Other Reindeer > Boss of Me (Instrumental) > Welcome To the Jungle > The Guitar (Remixes) > Moving to the Sun > The Devil Went Down to Newport > Walk on Water > The entire "Live!! in New York City" CD! > The Guitar single > Lousiana - direct off the still available Montana single > Feast of Light > Sensurround > Cyclops Rock > > Practically, if not the entire "We Might Be Giants, Too" album > > Nixon's the One > Unsupervised > Oddball > > Songs off of the "House of Mayors" CD > Songs off of the original "State Songs" CD > > As written on the site: > "Where Your Eyes Don't Go Studio Recording (Unknown Album)" > "Older (Studio Version)" > "Your Racist Friend (Remix) Don't Lets Start (German EP)" > > From the still available Back to Skull EP: > She Was A Hotel Detective > Ondine > Mrs. Train > > From the I Palindrome I ep? : > Siftin > Cabbage Town > > Supposedly off the Istanbul ep: > Ant > Stormy Pinkness > James K Polk > > From the still available "O, Tannenbaum" record: > O, Tannenbaum > Christmas Cards > > > > > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:30:31 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <20010216043031.22054.qmail@web12107.mail.yahoo.com> *gulp* I seriously think I'm gonna cry now, I've got that lump in my throat, and that special tummy ache... :( < wrote in message news:F297Msrq6hspq8IPvWX0000c62d@hotmail.com... > Whoever does have it dont hold out! It's just a radio jinlge! Share the > wealth people. I dont know why they'd want to not have it leaked lord knows > everything else they is available with a click of the mouse. > > So anyway someone who has that uplaod that sh!t to twisted.com > > Erich >> (I lived a sheltered life, and would like to experience all things Giantful, through every medium possible, and will buy all merchandise available, while some only exists through Napster.) I got the Bana Slug Song off Napster, and if I knew where this came from, and if the song had cost money, I'd gladly would pay for it, for it made my dreary day shine again. On a more offtopic note (offtopic in the case of the above message subject title, but still quite TMBG, who on the list uses TMBG as a form of therapy, and for what, be specific. Personally I'd listen to em' after those big abusive family fights, to avoid wanting to kill my father (in an innocent, I wish he was dead way) And after a few songs, the world would be a good place again, and I'd be crying with love for my parents, regreting that I even wished them harm *sigh* Sorry about that, I've been both emotional and nastalgic all week, hormones suck sometimes ===== Mysterio Gal "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:34:25 -0500 From: "Jon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: <002f01c097d1$bed40960$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> Nice comeback TMBGIRL. That was pretty ridiculous of that guy to say what he said. If you are new to the list, you will uickly get used to those type of petty e-mails flooding your in-box. However, it is worth it when you get a worthwhile piece of information concerning TMBG to have to sift through all the nonsense that goes on. And if you're a vet of the list, you know what I mean. Later Jon Jenkins ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 10:34 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG > > On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:57:27 -0600 "Polaris" > writes: > > > "I'm your friend I'm not your only friend, but I'm a > > > little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. . > > > . . . But I am . . ." (Lyrics to Birdhouse in your > Soul) > > > > If you're quoting BiYS as your sig, then you MUST be new around > > here. > > Mister Dudeguymanhead > > "Your not the boss of me no no your not so big." -Your not the boss > > of Me from Malkim in the Midl > > > What is that supposed to mean? Where's the logic? You're quoting BoM in > your sig, does that mean that you've been around here for ages? > I feel like you're implying that just because BiYS and PM are the two > TMBG songs that, historically, have introduced most fans to their music > that once they hear the rest, they'll automatically abandon the those two > as their favorite songs. That to speak of either of those two implies > that those are the only TMBG songs you're familiar with. He must be new > because he obviously doesn't know any of the other songs... if he did, > he'd be sure to quote them. Because to quote the most recent song > they've released means that you're up to date and chilling with > everything in the past, right? > > take it easy, special J > http://www.geocities.com/tmbgirl.geo/ > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:35:47 -0500 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Arghhh Message-ID: <003801c097d1$ef371f20$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> I just sent an E-Mail to the List AND to TMBGirl@juno.com; I apologize. It was supposed to only go to TMBGirl. Don't get too mad at me for what I said...I'm a nice guy; really! Ask Chrissy! Later Jon Jenkins ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:51:02 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Rare music Message-ID: <20010216045102.45678.qmail@web12108.mail.yahoo.com> <> I have ADHD, I have NO patience. I'm addicted to TMBG and need an occasional shot of music when I get John withdrawl. This may be selfish, but it's true. I'm also the kind of person who will go and buy anything that even reminds me of them, let alone, every CD (available) I can get my grubby hands on. Because it's my way of saying "keep up the great work" Now if I only had money<-- Starving Artist impression ===== Mysterio Gal "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:49:34 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Arghhh Message-ID: yeah.. jon is a nice guy i went to hs with him... besides that.. i dont know how credible a character witness i am with people on this list. heh Chrissy Don't get too mad at me for what I said...I'm a nice guy; really! Ask Chrissy! Later Jon Jenkins ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:03:24 -0800 From: garrett27@juno.com Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <20010215.222026.-1834393.0.Garrett27@juno.com> Okay, okay, so I didn't know that We Might Be Giants, Too had some special thang goin with Twistid. That's why I'm here, to learn more stuff about TMBG and related material. And it was just a list of studio recordings (except apparently one) to point out the fact that there are in fact studio recordings on there. Some of them are still quite available, others are quite rare. I wasn't sayin whether I thought they should be there for those who can't get them easily or not...just making a list. Garrett ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:39:37 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Conan Message-ID: <4.2.0.58.20010216013526.017c5378@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> Wow... That was quite possibly the best performance of Older I've heard since the first time I heard it at a concert so many years ago. I really like the way the accordian was emphasized. I also liked how they seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot. Perhaps it was just the impromptuness of their appearance. It was somewhat annoying how Conan made them seem like something he was settling for instead of Rod Stewart, though. Anyhow, my 2 cents, the hanged man -- -=Matt Brown=- GaTech undergrad cs1050 TA | web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com | "Every Day is a Good Day" email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:53:37 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG on Conan Message-ID: <96iiue$1g7t$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Flansburgh sang some of it too, and were those his wife's initials on his guitar in tape?? -Mike the hanged man wrote in message news:4.2.0.58.20010216013526.017c5378@oscar.cc.gatech.edu... > Wow... > > That was quite possibly the best performance of Older I've heard since the > first time I heard it at a concert so many years ago. I really like the > way the accordian was emphasized. I also liked how they seemed to be > enjoying themselves a lot. Perhaps it was just the impromptuness of their > appearance. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #38-16 ******************************