Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 17 Saturday, 17 February 2001 Topics: TMBG: Certain Traumas I could name (was rare music) TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: non-tmbg: BRYCE I LOST YOUR EMAIL Re: TMBG: Sock Puppets and TMBG Re[2]: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! Re[2]: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: What was your virgin TMBG experience? Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? TMBG: NO!!! I missed out Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Re: TMBG: NO!!! I missed out TMBG: next weekend Re: TMBG: NO!!! I missed out TMBG: Uhh. . This is kind of more Monopuff related then TMBG. . TMBG: A TMBG Mailbag day :) Re: TMBG: Uhh. . This is kind of more Monopuff related then TMBG. . Re: TMBG: Uhh. . This is kind of more Monopuff related then TMBG. . Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:31:37 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: TMBG: Certain Traumas I could name (was rare music) Message-ID: <20010216073137.46593.qmail@web12101.mail.yahoo.com> Okay, I just had a near death experience, please bear with me. Reading the conflict over posting studio music, I was extensively reminded of a chapter from one of my favorite books, Electronic Life, a book about computers, written by Michael Crichton, back in 83' when Joh and John first started making music. Finding it a wonderful thing to share with the list, because not doing so what eat away at my insides, and meant as a gift of interest, because since it was written 15+ years ago, about computers, it would be really interesting to compare with this situation, and Napster. Plus it really hit bullseye with the subject. Here's the traumatising bit. I speant 3+ hours typing out this 4 page chapter in an e-mail message (I type with one finger only, I tried classes, but failed) And when i proudly hit the send button, with only seconds to run and hit record for John and john. Upon my return, i discovered that Yahoo had logged me out, and was redemanding my password. What did this mean, my 3+ hours of hard work had been erased from existence, and a loud agonising wail escaped from my mouth, despite that my parents lay asleep in the next room. I was ready to dig a whole and burry myself then and there. But a large part of me really wanted to spread that info for the benefit of all. I even considered retyping it, but no, that part of me had died (I still mourn it) So I took the easy way out, I scanned the 3 full pages and two half pages, even though it meant I couldn't make it part of the message. I put them on my webpage, in html format, because the reading experience should be enjoyable as possible, and am including the URL with this letter. By all means, it won't replace what I've lost, but it will help me start a new, and perhaps, more intelligent with what this taught me. A very ironic lesson i assure you all, even moreso when you read this tidbit I'm asking you to take time for. Please read it for your own possible enjoyment, and so that my night hasn't been in vein (tho that awesome performance on Conan helped cheer me up a great deal) This chapter is obviously good enough for someone like me to go through so much trouble for: http://www.geocities.com/mr_realgal/copyright.htm *starts kissin feet* Boy, and I called myself an emotional wreck earlier ===== Mysterio Gal "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Message-ID: <200102160815.f1G8F0l54396@ussenterprise.ufp.org> *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ÁÁThis notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list ÁÁFollow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list ÁÁTo send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. ÁÁIMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT ÁÁWhen you send a message to the list you are sending ÁÁmessages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your ÁÁmessage is one that hundreds of people need to read. ÁÁDo not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not ÁÁsend messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold ÁÁprivate conversations in private e-mail. Sending ÁÁmessages that the list administrator deems off topic ÁÁwill result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites ÁÁThe unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:21:57 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: BRYCE I LOST YOUR EMAIL Message-ID: List, sorry for the wasted bandwitdh. :D -- y0 d00d. I found the site that i was talking about. Get back to me. Chrissy `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` "Politics is the world's second oldest profession, closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter -- Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College http://drive.to/chrissy AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:41:00 -0600 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: <3A8D2DEB.A270BCDC@uswest.net> Oogaboogabooooo@aol.com wrote: > ... don't ask why it was late . ok.....i won't ask. 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:28:52 -0500 From: Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: The extended Linnell note and also OLDER!! Message-ID: <0102169823.AA982333741@smtplink.sterl.com> I've never taken a stopwatch to it, but I think the champ just might be "Women and Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen". Add the piercing nasal quality Linnell gets when he sustains a syllable for half a chorus, and it supercedes time itself.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:38:00 -0500 From: Subject: Re[2]: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <0102169823.AA982334289@smtplink.sterl.com> >No. > > -Mike >First of all, everything on the site was uploaded by visitors, Adam does not >go around looking for MP3s online to post on his site. I feel that he is >ripping off TMBG by posting their studio recordings. There are a lot of >people that disagree with me, they think it's okay if the song is out of >print or otherwise unavailable. I feel that only TMBG or their record >company has the right to distribute thier studio recordings, regardless of >what the song is or where it came from... call me crazy. > > -Mike Once again, TDK comes out with an opinion which at first sounds snippy, petty, and arbitrary, and on closer inspection turns out to be actually sound and reasonable. I'm sure They appreciate people with scruples like Mike's, and I know I appreciate people with a site like Mike's. 'Sall good, yo. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:35:15 -0600 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: TMBG: What was your virgin TMBG experience? Message-ID: <3A8D64D3.ED94B62B@uswest.net> tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > I feel like you're implying that just because BiYS and PM are the two > TMBG songs that, historically, have introduced most fans to their music > that once they hear the rest, they'll automatically abandon the those two > as their favorite songs. Now 'Ana Ng' was the first TMBG song I heard....which obviously dates me.... Now I'm curious if tmbgirl's statement is true. Most of my friends have been listening to TMBG since 'Don't Let's Start'... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:13:28 -0000 From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: Garrett: >Studio Recordings on twistid.com: > >Olive the Other Reindeer It's a studio recording, but is it available anywhere? >Boss of Me (Instrumental) Never released, as far as I know (although that doesn't make it a non-studio recording). >The entire "Live!! in New York City" CD! Since it was recorded live, it's not exactly a STUDIO recording, is it? Besides, it was just a promo CD, not something you could buy in the store. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: 16 Feb 2001 19:12:55 -0000 From: ctyner@clemson.edu Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <20010216191255.43098.qmail@reit.pair.com> "Since it was recorded live, it's not exactly a STUDIO recording, is it?" But It was recorded live at Sony Music Studios, right? :) I'm pretty sure that's what Donna Donna says at the beginning of the disc... I personally don't think putting up mp3s of "Live!! NYC" is any better than bootlegging "Severe Tire Damage", but then again, maybe I'm just a little miffed because after great time and effort, I was able to get a sealed copy a few years ago. Same goes for the Kit Kat Acoustic Break. :) -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:37:36 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: <96jvdq$2meg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > > > > <"new around here", etc.> > What is that supposed to mean? Where's the logic? > > everything in the past, right? Chill, alright? It was a joke, and I thought that the fake .sig(which I have NEVER used!) would illustrate that. I was seeking to appear as a "new" newbie insulting an "old" newbie, thereby pretending to be a big TMBG fan for years. The crux of the joke was the .sig, > > Mister Dudeguymanhead > > "Your not the boss of me no no your not so big." -Your not the boss > > of Me from Malkim in the Midl which contains a stupid name, misquoted lyrics, and spelling errors. I didn't mean to accidentally cause hurricanes, earthquakes, and smog. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen, there's no reason for me to do this song here." -Elvis Costello ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:56:49 -0500 From: Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Message-ID: <0102169823.AA982353415@smtplink.sterl.com> To quote a 70s sitcom (which I try never to do except in case of emergency): Humor !!! Ar Ar Ar.... He's right, tho, that .sig line was a dead giveaway.... once we realized Pol wasn't in a fugue state! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sock Puppets and TMBG Author: "Polaris" Date: 2/16/01 1:37 PM > > > > > <"new around here", etc.> > What is that supposed to mean? Where's the logic? > > everything in the past, right? Chill, alright? It was a joke, and I thought that the fake .sig(which I have NEVER used!) would illustrate that. I was seeking to appear as a "new" newbie insulting an "old" newbie, thereby pretending to be a big TMBG fan for years. The crux of the joke was the .sig, > > Mister Dudeguymanhead > > "Your not the boss of me no no your not so big." -Your not the boss > > of Me from Malkim in the Midl which contains a stupid name, misquoted lyrics, and spelling errors. I didn't mean to accidentally cause hurricanes, earthquakes, and smog. Polaris "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante Hicks "I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen, there's no reason for me to do this song here." -Elvis Costello ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:06:44 -0500 From: "don't ask me to explain" Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010216160644.007df180@fisticuffs.org> At 06:13 PM 2/16/01 -0000, Timothy Alfalfa wrote: >Garrett: >>Studio Recordings on twistid.com: >> >>Olive the Other Reindeer > >It's a studio recording, but is it available anywhere? Yep - on vinyl, from jotto.com. So is a book read by Brian Dewan. J. otto Seibold r00lz hardcore. -mandy http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ "I see no reason that the moral degeneracy should not continue." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:08:51 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: NO!!! I missed out Message-ID: Dear All, I can't believe it! I missed TMBG on Conan. Why was the announcement so sudden? If anyone can post the video somewhere it would be greatly appriciated. Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:35:35 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <4.2.0.58.20010216173405.00a3f288@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> At 07:12 PM 2/16/2001 +0000, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU wrote: >I personally don't think putting up mp3s of "Live!! NYC" is any better >than bootlegging "Severe Tire Damage", but then again, maybe I'm just a >little miffed because after great time and effort, I was able to get a >sealed copy a few years ago. Same goes for the Kit Kat Acoustic Break. :) But you still would have bought those things regardless whether the mp3s were available, right? Here's my point... there are very few fans who are zealous enough to download this stuff who wouldn't buy it up in a second if it were readily available. -- -=Matt Brown=- GaTech undergrad cs1050 TA | web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com | "Every Day is a Good Day" email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ Date: 17 Feb 2001 00:31:45 -0000 From: ctyner@clemson.edu Subject: Re: Twisted TMBG: Re: Who's Gonna guess the Dead Guy? Message-ID: <20010217003145.98413.qmail@reit.pair.com> "But you still would have bought those things regardless whether the mp3s were available, right? Here's my point... there are very few fans who are zealous enough to download this stuff who wouldn't buy it up in a second if it were readily available." Finding new, original discs of "Live!! NYC", "Kit Kat Acoustic Break", and "Dr. Spock's Backup Band" involved a lot more than driving to the local record store or filling out a little form online. I'm positive I wouldn't have gone to the time, effort, or expense if that material was easily accessible in a high-quality format. Perhaps those aren't the best examples to use since technically, none of those discs were supposed to be sold. :) Though I agree with you that for full albums, EPs, and the like, I _have_ found myself buying far fewer compilations with TMBG, and I'd imagine I'm not the only list member who'd say that. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:57:56 -0500 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: NO!!! I missed out Message-ID: <4.2.0.58.20010216205644.017fc470@oscar.cc.gatech.edu> At 09:08 PM 2/16/2001 +0000, Dan Brosnan wrote: > I can't believe it! I missed TMBG on Conan. Why was the announcement > so sudden? If anyone can post the video somewhere it would be greatly > appriciated. Rod Stewart cancelled at the last second, and the people at the Late Show called up TMBG and asked them to perform. As far as I'm concerned, all parties were very lucky he cancelled, as TMBG gave a seriously excellent performance. -- -=Matt Brown=- GaTech undergrad cs1050 TA | web: http://thehangedman.digitaldriveway.com | "Every Day is a Good Day" email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:06:04 -0500 (EST) From: Joshua Fried Subject: TMBG: next weekend Message-ID: <200102170206.f1H264L27407@echonyc.com> heads up, folks, next weekend it's rock star Syd Straw and Mono Puff-TMBG-Austin Powers singer Robin Goldwasser --and others--in my show in NYC. look up HEADFONE FOLLIES under Performance at www.here.org. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:10:22 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: NO!!! I missed out Message-ID: In a message dated 2/16/2001 9:08:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, thehangedman@death-star.com writes: > > I can't believe it! I missed TMBG on Conan. Why was the announcement > > so sudden? If anyone can post the video somewhere it would be greatly > > appriciated. > > Rod Stewart cancelled at the last second, and the people at the Late Show > called up TMBG and asked them to perform. As far as I'm concerned, all > parties were very lucky he cancelled, as TMBG gave a seriously excellent > performance. > Also, it should be noted that, Like Leno, Conan's show is repeated on the same night (morning?) a week later in the late, late slot in many areas, so if you missed it, as I'm sure many did since it was such short notice, you may get another chance! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:18:27 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: A TMBG Mailbag day :) Message-ID: Today I got a couple of nifty vintage TMBG pins that I won of off ebay :) They will make a very handsome edition to my jacket 'o pins. But that wasn't all! An old email and occasional snail-mail pal of mine recently visited Belgium, and he sent me some pictures he took of James Ensor's paintings...the man was good! My favorite one is SO TMBG-ish...it has two skeletons (one of which is wearing some kind of traditional Belgian headdress that looks remarkably like a fez) playing tug-of-war with a cigar in their teeth. It is titled, appropriately enough, "Skulls Fighting Over Cigar." But wait, there's more! He also sent me a real Belgian frank( worth about #2.25 U.S.). Can you guess who's portrait is on the bill? I thought you could :) Kay "foreign money is so much cooler-looking than American money" lum ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:20:06 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Uhh. . This is kind of more Monopuff related then TMBG. . Message-ID: <76.7d7de69.27bf39d6@aol.com> In a message dated 2/16/2001 9:18:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, Oogaboogabooooo@aol.com writes: > I've only heard one Monopuff song in my life and that was Extra Crispy, I > believe that's the title. . . How many albums have they actually made? > > Modern Major General > > > They have two...Unsupervised and It's Fun to Steal. While that song is a > pretty good representation of their sound musically, Flans usually sings > lead. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #38-17 ******************************