Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 26 Monday, 26 February 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: Pictures from Conan TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? TMBG: Re: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? TMBG: Luxembourg: Democracy or police state ? Kidnapped children and police TMBG: New links page; please add your TMBG related page. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:43:42 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: Pictures from Conan Message-ID: <97b911$1fnj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > I took some pictures from TMBG's latest appearance on Late Night and thought > you guys might want to look at them. Sooo . . . here they are! > > http://www.geocities.com/iamnotinthemafia/conan/index.html > > And if Geocities is malfunctioning, And when are they not? > you may use this URL: > > http://members.aol.com/fibrinolysis/conan/index.html > > Sorry if this is against the rules of this list. I've only been on it for a > few months, but I've never seen anything derisively referring to picture > links before, so I figured it'd probably be okay. If it isn't, just yell at > me and I promise I will never do it again. It's alright. People do it quite a bit. It's groovy. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:46:26 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: I feel bad. Society tends to have no problem treating its celebrities like trash. Saying awful things about them, without any thought to the ramifications on the celebritiy's ego or self-esteem Some may say "They chose to be a celebrity, its their own fault". I disagree with this statement. Sure, it probably takes a lot to hurt a celebrities feeling, but that's only after hearing the same trash talk about them many many times before. Only then can they grow thicker skin. I dislike hurting people's feelings. I dislike my feelings being hurt. (Golden Rule blah blah blah) So with that, I will stop saying Flans sucks. I will say I dislike him and, I will constructively criticize him and his songs. BUT I will not talk trash for the sake of talking trash. Thank you Chrissy `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` "Politics is the world's second oldest profession, closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter -- Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College http://drive.to/chrissy AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:25:15 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: ok.. maybe its funny if you pay attention to what people say on this list, you self-righteous jerk. Maybe we do need a sarcasm and humor scale so that we can tell some of the idiots on this list when things are not meant to be taken 100% seriously. Its funny, because TMBG fans I meet at other places are not as dry and as boring and as utterly despicable as most of the people on this list. I am totally tired of 95% of the people here and I would leave.. but I don't, knowing that my presence urks some people. I am not going to let people drive me out. I am sorry I am not a mindless drone who will eat John and John's shit just because it came from them. Some people have discriminating tastes and I thought TMBG fans were among those people. Thanks for proving me wrong, Justin. Peace in the Middle East ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin McElroy" To: Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 11:19 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? > As grateful as I'm sure John F. is that you will be keeping your "trash talk" to yourself maybe you should consider how completely pompous you sound in this little public announcement of yours. You subscribe to a mailing list dedicated to a BAND called They Might Be Giants, and it's pretty fair to assume that every one on this list is a pretty big fan of the band. So imagine how silly it is of you to continue to insult half of the band that this list is devoted to. There are so many places where people dismiss TMBG as "novelty" or of no substance. I refuse to let the mailing list become a place for tearing down a band that everyone on this list is seemingly pretty devoted to. So, though I'm sure John Flansburg is glad to finally have the burden of your trash talk off his back, I, for my part, would prefer you keep your petty, single minded critism to yourself. If you hate John F. so much you should start your own John L. list, but stay off the TMBG list. I like John F. I like the rock sensibilities he brings to TMBG, and it is silly and arrogant of you to deny the contributions he has made to a band that everyone ELSE on this list really enjoys. > > OK Peace Out, > > Justin > > > >From: "Christina Rockwell" > >Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" > >To: > >Subject: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? > >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:46:26 -0500 > > > >I feel bad. > >Society tends to have no problem treating its celebrities like trash. > >Saying awful things about them, without any thought to the ramifications on > >the celebritiy's ego or self-esteem Some may say "They chose to be a > >celebrity, its their own fault". I disagree with this statement. Sure, it > >probably takes a lot to hurt a celebrities feeling, but that's only after > >hearing the same trash talk about them many many times before. Only then can > >they grow thicker skin. I dislike hurting people's feelings. I dislike my > >feelings being hurt. (Golden Rule blah blah blah) > >So with that, I will stop saying Flans sucks. I will say I dislike him and, > >I will constructively criticize him and his songs. BUT I will not talk > >trash for the sake of talking trash. > >Thank you > >Chrissy > >`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` > >"Politics is the world's second oldest profession, > > closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter > >-- > >Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College > >http://drive.to/chrissy > >AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use > >`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:40:02 -0500 From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: I love this generation. We are a group of people who are raised with irony as a way of looking at the world. You know, typing makes it pretty hard to sense that scalding disconnection from the world around you. Where exactly is the "humor" and "sarcasm" in your piece? Is it when you feel bad about hurting peoples feelings? Or when you promise to stop this behaivior? Oh, hee ho hee, Jonathan Swift, please let up on your masterful use of satire, I can't catch my own breath. Let me try- I hate They Might Be Giants THEY SUCK! Wow, I guess I'm the biggest TMBG fan ever now, if your going to utilize humor and sarcasm in your writing, maybe it should be in a humorous and deliberate manner instead of a back door escape route for when people don't like what you have to say. Sarcasm---->P.S. I managed to keep from using profanity in my diatribe. I'm # 1. Hey, not using profanity offends nobody.<-----Sarcasm d >From: "Christina Rockwell" >Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" >To: >Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:25:15 -0500 > >ok.. maybe its funny if you pay attention to what people say on this list, >you self-righteous jerk. Maybe we do need a sarcasm and humor scale so that >we can tell some of the idiots on this list when things are not meant to be >taken 100% seriously. Its funny, because TMBG fans I meet at other places >are not as dry and as boring and as utterly despicable as most of the >people >on this list. >I am totally tired of 95% of the people here and I would leave.. but I >don't, knowing that my presence urks some people. I am not going to let >people drive me out. I am sorry I am not a mindless drone who will eat >John >and John's shit just because it came from them. Some people have >discriminating tastes and I thought TMBG fans were among those people. >Thanks for proving me wrong, Justin. >Peace in the Middle East >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Justin McElroy" >To: >Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 11:19 AM >Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? > > > > As grateful as I'm sure John F. is that you will be keeping your "trash >talk" to yourself maybe you should consider how completely pompous you >sound >in this little public announcement of yours. You subscribe to a mailing >list dedicated to a BAND called They Might Be Giants, and it's pretty fair >to assume that every one on this list is a pretty big fan of the band. So >imagine how silly it is of you to continue to insult half of the band that >this list is devoted to. There are so many places where people dismiss >TMBG >as "novelty" or of no substance. I refuse to let the mailing list become a >place for tearing down a band that everyone on this list is seemingly >pretty >devoted to. So, though I'm sure John Flansburg is glad to finally have the >burden of your trash talk off his back, I, for my part, would prefer you >keep your petty, single minded critism to yourself. If you hate John F. so >much you should start your own John L. list, but stay off the TMBG list. I >like John F. I like the rock sensibilities he brings to TMBG, and it is >silly and arrogant of you to deny the contributions he has made to a band >that everyone ELSE on this list really enjoys. > > > > OK Peace Out, > > > > Justin > > > > > > >From: "Christina Rockwell" > > >Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" > > >To: > > >Subject: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? > > >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:46:26 -0500 > > > > > >I feel bad. > > >Society tends to have no problem treating its celebrities like trash. > > >Saying awful things about them, without any thought to the >ramifications >on > > >the celebritiy's ego or self-esteem Some may say "They chose to be a > > >celebrity, its their own fault". I disagree with this statement. >Sure, >it > > >probably takes a lot to hurt a celebrities feeling, but that's only >after > > >hearing the same trash talk about them many many times before. Only >then >can > > >they grow thicker skin. I dislike hurting people's feelings. I >dislike >my > > >feelings being hurt. (Golden Rule blah blah blah) > > >So with that, I will stop saying Flans sucks. I will say I dislike him >and, > > >I will constructively criticize him and his songs. BUT I will not talk > > >trash for the sake of talking trash. > > >Thank you > > >Chrissy > > > >`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` > > >"Politics is the world's second oldest profession, > > > closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter > > >-- > > >Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College > > >http://drive.to/chrissy > > >AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use > > > >`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` > > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:50:19 -0500 From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: As grateful as I'm sure John F. is that you will be keeping your "trash talk" to yourself maybe you should consider how completely pompous you sound in this little public announcement of yours. You subscribe to a mailing list dedicated to a BAND called They Might Be Giants, and it's pretty fair to assume that every one on this list is a pretty big fan of the band. So imagine how silly it is of you to continue to insult half of the band that this list is devoted to. There are so many places where people dismiss TMBG as "novelty" or of no substance. I refuse to let the mailing list become a place for tearing down a band that everyone on this list is seemingly pretty devoted to. So, though I'm sure John Flansburg is glad to finally have the burden of your trash talk off his back, I, for my part, would prefer you keep your petty, single minded critism to yourself. If you hate John F. so much you should start your own John L. list, but stay off the TMBG list. I like John F. I like the rock sensibilities he brings to TMBG, and it is silly and arrogant of you to deny the contributions he has made to a band that everyone ELSE on this list really enjoys. OK Peace Out, Justin >From: "Christina Rockwell" >Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" >To: >Subject: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:46:26 -0500 > >I feel bad. >Society tends to have no problem treating its celebrities like trash. >Saying awful things about them, without any thought to the ramifications on >the celebritiy's ego or self-esteem Some may say "They chose to be a >celebrity, its their own fault". I disagree with this statement. Sure, it >probably takes a lot to hurt a celebrities feeling, but that's only after >hearing the same trash talk about them many many times before. Only then >can >they grow thicker skin. I dislike hurting people's feelings. I dislike my >feelings being hurt. (Golden Rule blah blah blah) >So with that, I will stop saying Flans sucks. I will say I dislike him >and, >I will constructively criticize him and his songs. BUT I will not talk >trash for the sake of talking trash. >Thank you >Chrissy >`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` >"Politics is the world's second oldest profession, > closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter >-- >Christina Rockwell '03 Marymount College >http://drive.to/chrissy >AIM ChrissMari Yahoo!: birdh0use ICQ: 40199998 birdh0use >`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:10:51 -0500 From: "Kate Sith" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: *stays OUT of the argument that has popped up over this* Hey, Chrissy, I was just curious as to why you don't like Flans? Constructively speaking, of course... ^^;;; I mean, I'm a Linnell girl myself. I used to totally fixate on /just/ him and I could have cared less about Flans, but that's gradually changed. Mostly with these tapes I just got from Russ. ^_^ I've noticed that Flans is unbelievably funny and likable and has an adorable smile. And with the way John Sid is so...well, non-generous with the signature...you know, his fan-phobia, I think John Flans brings a huge part of that fan-based section of the band to them. As for his music, I think he does a nice job of giving them variety. Linnell's got some nice variety in there, but Flans is the one who really just puts some totally seperate styles onto their albums. ^_^ I hate to compare Them to another band like this, but Flans is sorta like the Paul to Linnell's John. The cute, cheeky, fun one (although both Paul and Flans have some really deep stuff in there). Neither of them would be the same without the other, and probably not nearly as famous. Anyway, I'm just interested to hear what you have to say...assuming no one else is going to freak out about it. -Kate Sith > > >From: "Christina Rockwell" > > >Reply-To: "Christina Rockwell" > > >To: > > >Subject: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? > > >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:46:26 -0500 > > > > > >I feel bad. > > >Society tends to have no problem treating its celebrities like trash. > > >Saying awful things about them, without any thought to the >ramifications >on > > >the celebritiy's ego or self-esteem Some may say "They chose to be a > > >celebrity, its their own fault". I disagree with this statement. >Sure, >it > > >probably takes a lot to hurt a celebrities feeling, but that's only >after > > >hearing the same trash talk about them many many times before. Only >then >can > > >they grow thicker skin. I dislike hurting people's feelings. I >dislike >my > > >feelings being hurt. (Golden Rule blah blah blah) > > >So with that, I will stop saying Flans sucks. I will say I dislike him >and, > > >I will constructively criticize him and his songs. BUT I will not talk > > >trash for the sake of talking trash. > > >Thank you > > >Chrissy ------------------------------------------------------------ "Pinch me, 'cause I'm still asleep Please god, tell me that I'm still asleep." -E. Robertson "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." -J. Linnell _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:24:30 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: <97bm18$1qbj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > I feel bad. > Society tends to have no problem treating its celebrities like trash. > Saying awful things about them, without any thought to the ramifications on > the celebritiy's ego or self-esteem Some may say "They chose to be a > celebrity, its their own fault". I disagree with this statement. Sure, it > probably takes a lot to hurt a celebrities feeling, but that's only after > hearing the same trash talk about them many many times before. Only then can > they grow thicker skin. I dislike hurting people's feelings. I dislike my > feelings being hurt. (Golden Rule blah blah blah) > So with that, I will stop saying Flans sucks. I will say I dislike him and, > I will constructively criticize him and his songs. BUT I will not talk > trash for the sake of talking trash. > Thank you > Chrissy > `~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*`~*` > "Politics is the world's second oldest profession, > closely related to the first"--Jimmy Carter Jimmy Carter sucks. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:30:32 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh my, have i grown a conscience? Message-ID: <97bmck$1qkf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > Flans is sorta like the Paul to Linnell's John. The cute, cheeky, fun one (although > both Paul and Flans have some really deep stuff in there Go ahead and say it. Then Linnell, the introverted genius who provides the band with a fantastic undercurrent that just doesn't care if the mainstream cares. "Turn off your mind, relax, and float upstream" -Lennon, "Tomorrow Never Knows" "Tell me that you like my float upstream" -Linnell, "ERIWA" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:01:05 +0100 From: "Jean Antoine" Subject: TMBG: Luxembourg: Democracy or police state ? Kidnapped children Message-ID: <97bs92$1vnl$2@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org and police repression In Luxembourg ? LUXEMBOURG: STATE KIDNAPPING ??? Luxembourg is a democracy. But i have to inform so many people as possible about a situation impossible to understand in a democracy. http://www.multimania.com/alliedforce Jean Antoine PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:11:29 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: New links page; please add your TMBG related page. Message-ID: <97ce1r$2eeu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I just added a long overdue page for TMBG links to my site. If you have a TMBG related website please add your link to my new links page. Thanks! -Mike http://links.theymightbegiants.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #38-26 ******************************